ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Ertel Commits!

So realistically, do we think he sees decent playing time? Seriously asking.
Honestly, I've stopped questioning Painter's ability to judge whether a kid can play for Purdue. Who was his last total bust? Probably Dowuona in 2018?

I ignore Waddell because he threw a bone to a friend with that offer IMO. Guys like Furst, Morton and Newman didn't (or haven't) live up to expectation but all started 29 or more games in their Purdue careers.

Honestly, I've stopped questioning Painter's ability to judge whether a kid can play for Purdue. Who was his last total bust? Probably Dowuona in 2018?

I ignore Waddell because he threw a bone to a friend with that offer IMO. Guys like Furst, Morton and Newman didn't (or haven't) live up to expectation but all started 29 or more games in their Purdue careers.
Well with 15 scholarships not all are going to play. I believe Waddell would have got some mins if he hadn’t torn his ACL his frosh year. Hard to judge this kid so far from clips. Looks decent so far, interested to see if he can fill out before D1 B1G play.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
He's going to have to earn it like anyone but I don't see why he wouldn't have a great chance to play and maybe play very early.
  • Smith and Loyer will be gone
  • Harris and Cox are the only other players at the 1/2 currently on the roster and I assume that there will be PT available for two other ballhandlers
  • Painter will try to sign a combo in 2025 and will almost certainly want to sign a point for 2026
  • If MP doesn't sign a 2025 combo and/or an elite 2026 PG, he likely goes portal shopping, but Ertel would still be in the mix to compete for minutes, depending upon how physically ready he arrives on campus
  • Even if there isn't a path to early PT there's no reason to think that Ertel can't redshirt and at a minimum start contributing as a sophomore when Harris and Cox graduate

Well with 15 scholarships not all are going to play. I believe Waddell would have got some mins if he hadn’t torn his ACL his frosh year. Hard to judge this kid so far from clips. Looks decent so far, interested to see if he can fill out before D1 B1G play.
No chance Painter extends a scholarship that early to a kid that he thinks is scholarship #13-15. Guarantee MP thinks he can play.

He's going to have to earn it like anyone but I don't see why he wouldn't have a great chance to play and maybe play very early.
  • Smith and Loyer will be gone
  • Harris and Cox are the only other players at the 1/2 currently on the roster and I assume that there will be PT available for two other ballhandlers
  • Painter will try to sign a combo in 2025 and will almost certainly want to sign a point for 2026
  • If MP doesn't sign a 2025 combo and/or an elite 2026 PG, he likely goes portal shopping, but Ertel would still be in the mix to compete for minutes, depending upon how physically ready he arrives on campus
  • Even if there isn't a path to early PT there's no reason to think that Ertel can't redshirt and at a minimum start contributing as a sophomore when Harris and Cox graduate
I was genuinely asking cuz I didn’t know a lot about him. I know we are after Antoine west for 2025 and Steven Reynolds III (his sisters play at Purdue I believe — 2 if not 3). SR3 supposed to be pretty damn good. But not going to question painter…also, in this day and age, we will see if he stays committed that long haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk

Shoots 50% from 3, known for toughness/hustle on D, high basketball IQ.....If Matt Painter is the coach, I'm guessing he'll hit the rotation at some point.

The bigger fish will be sprinkled in, but I love how this program isn't getting away from it's culture and guys who fit.

I was genuinely asking cuz I didn’t know a lot about him. I know we are rafter Antoine west for 2025 and Steven Reynolds III (his sisters play at Purdue I believe — 2 if not 3). SR3 supposed to be pretty damn good. But not going to question painter…also, in this day and age, we will see if he stays committed that long haha.
It's a legitimate question and I honestly don't know how good he is, other than to say that a guy offered this early is on Painter's A list. As another poster pointed out, even when those guys are 'misses', they tend to be solid contributors to the program. I'd guess that Ertel is a solid program guy who ensures that Purdue has a high floor rather than a superstar who will raise their ceiling, but who knows?

Concerning other recruits taking minutes, my understanding is that Reynolds is more of a 2/3 than a ballhandler, but you're right, West would be competition for minutes with Ertel, as would the highly rated 2026 point that Painter has been after (I forget his name). Even if Purdue lands those guys there would still be minutes available by the time that Ertel is a redshirt sophomore.

It is so hard seeing a highlight video . I like him being a lefty . What I liked was his business approach and how he quickly went from offense to defense quickly. No celebration just focus change quickly from offense to defense. I liked what I saw, but can’t pinpoint it. Maybe a computer and other video might reveal more since a phone is tough for me. Does seem solid all around and can have the ball or work off the ball.

Last edited:
It's a legitimate question and I honestly don't know how good he is, other than to say that a guy offered this early is on Painter's A list. As another poster pointed out, even when those guys are 'misses', they tend to be solid contributors to the program. I'd guess that Ertel is a solid program guy who ensures that Purdue has a high floor rather than a superstar who will raise their ceiling, but who knows?

Concerning other recruits taking minutes, my understanding is that Reynolds is more of a 2/3 than a ballhandler, but you're right, West would be competition for minutes with Ertel, as would the highly rated 2026 point that Painter has been after (I forget his name). Even if Purdue lands those guys there would still be minutes available by the time that Ertel is a redshirt sophomore.
I think I’m just not ready for LAB (Life After Braden) yet 😂

It is so hard seeing a highlight video . I like him being a lefty . What I liked was his business approach and how he quickly went from offense to defense quickly. No celebration just focus change quickly from offense to defense. I liked what I saw, but can’t pinpoint it. Maybe a computer and other video might reveal more since a phone is tough for me. Does seem solid all around and can have the ball or work off the ball.
The other site just posted a pretty decent scout on Ertel.

Reactions: tjreese
I think I’m just not ready for LAB (Life After Braden) yet 😂
It will be interesting. The ‘25/’26 season is a long way off but I’m not sure that we know whether there’s a ‘star’ on the current roster or in the 2025 recruiting prospects. Myles and Cam have potential but both are so long and athletic that if they blow up as players, they might not be around for long.

I guess that’s one of the challenges of being a fan of Painter teams. You’re rarely really sure of who the next star is going to be until they show up on campus.

Last edited:
The other site just posted a pretty decent scout on Ertel.
yeah, you could see him shooting well behind the arc and mid range in video...but knowing it was highlight you are unsure what you are seeing. The video didn't really show him on D, but did show how quick he flipped from O to D telling me he is focused, alert and understands the importance of the other side of the ball and no doubt that was his AAU coaches desire...but also shows he is already used to jamming the ball as it comes up the floor which he would do for Purdue. Playing football brings a certain physical aggressiveness that could be missing a bit from those not playing football and obviously seeing the field as a QB is similar to running the PG position. I think Kramer was a QB as well, but Luke already is a better shooter.

He is on a very talented team and yet he can get his own as well as work off the ball, but unsure not seeing a game if he has to have the ball in his hands a lot...but guessing he doesn't since he was scoring off the ball after receiving a pass. Being able to do both is crucial if not in a dribble drive offense, but more motion or just some sets where they can use him off the ball. Bottom line...seems versatile on skills and can bring some physicality. What I have no idea is his vision...

The floater looks like a real weapon. Very quick release on the jumper. Has that well trained relaxed look when shooting it. Not much passing or D evidence here. As noted, Matt doesn't offer this early for a spot on the end of the bench.
I'm pretty much giving up paying any attention to who we are supposedly recruiting any more.

yeah, you could see him shooting well behind the arc and mid range in video...but knowing it was highlight you are unsure what you are seeing. The video didn't really show him on D, but did show how quick he flipped from O to D telling me he is focused, alert and understands the importance of the other side of the ball and no doubt that was his AAU coaches desire...but also shows he is already used to jamming the ball as it comes up the floor which he would do for Purdue. Playing football brings a certain physical aggressiveness that could be missing a bit from those not playing football and obviously seeing the field as a QB is similar to running the PG position. I think Kramer was a QB as well, but Luke already is a better shooter.

He is on a very talented team and yet he can get his own as well as work off the ball, but unsure not seeing a game if he has to have the ball in his hands a lot...but guessing he doesn't since he was scoring off the ball after receiving a pass. Being able to do both is crucial if not in a dribble drive offense, but more motion or just some sets where they can use him off the ball. Bottom line...seems versatile on skills and can bring some physicality. What I have no idea is his vision...
With Bloom being an MV grad, he probably got some good intel on the kid.

Reactions: tjreese

Same here. At this point in Paint's career I'm less concerned about the misses (every coach has those) than I'm encouraged by the number of guys this staff has coached into really good college players.

This is an early offer, as someone else has already pointed out, not an act of desperation. Painter must be sold on the guy--and that's worth a lot, IMHO.

Shoots 50% from 3, known for toughness/hustle on D, high basketball IQ.....If Matt Painter is the coach, I'm guessing he'll hit the rotation at some point.

The bigger fish will be sprinkled in, but I love how this program isn't getting away from it's culture and guys who fit.
Sounds like PAINT material 😁

Reactions: Schnelk
he's probably a decent guard. But he's in the class of 2026. I expect Loyer and Smith to play at Purdue all 4 years and not leave early. we also have Myles and Harris. Heide may play the three. Sisler may surprise people and play the three. we have cox and benter where one or both may redshirt. painter is heavily recruiting Mullins and Harralson. I don't question Painter's eye for talent. But it's going to be very hard for him to find some playing time. he does fit the mold of the type of guard Painter recruits.

he's probably a decent guard. But he's in the class of 2026. I expect Loyer and Smith to play at Purdue all 4 years and not leave early. we also have Myles and Harris. Heide may play the three. Sisler may surprise people and play the three. we have cox and benter where one or both may redshirt. painter is heavily recruiting Mullins and Harralson. I don't question Painter's eye for talent. But it's going to be very hard for him to find some playing time. he does fit the mold of the type of guard Painter recruits.
You do know that smith and Loyer will graduate in the SPRING of 2026 and Ertel would start his career in the FALL of 2026, right? So that doesn’t impact him at all.

Myles and Heide will be seniors and even though neither play the position that Ertel plays, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re not here senior year. If they are though, it has no impact on ertel. Sisler doesn’t play the same position.

So that leaves, right now, Harris, Cox and Benter as our backcourt. So I think having a 4th guy at this point is a good move and that he would see playing time if those are the only 3 we had. However, I am pretty sure Paint is going to have more guards in the backcourt by 2026–whether it be through recruiting or the transfer portal.

You do know that smith and Loyer will graduate in the SPRING of 2026 and Ertel would start his career in the FALL of 2026, right? So that doesn’t impact him at all.

Myles and Heide will be seniors and even though neither play the position that Ertel plays, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re not here senior year. If they are though, it has no impact on ertel. Sisler doesn’t play the same position.

So that leaves, right now, Harris, Cox and Benter as our backcourt. So I think having a 4th guy at this point is a good move and that he would see playing time if those are the only 3 we had. However, I am pretty sure Paint is going to have more guards in the backcourt by 2026–whether it be through recruiting or the transfer portal.
is there a reason you didn't mention Myles ?

my thoughts are twofold. Painter LOVES to play a guard at the 3 spot. that could change. who knows. I personally would love to see Sisley play the three, but i'm wise enough to realize that will never happen. Maybe Ertel won't play the 3. But for him to get any playing time, a guard will have to move over to play the three. maybe Cox, Benton or myles or Harris will move over to play the 3. that's a lot of IFS.

Painter is also recruiting several guards in the 2025 class. do I believe Ertel would start over Mullins ? No. Harris ? no. Myles? No. Harrelson ? No. Cox or benter ? maybe.

If Mullins and Harralson sign, Ertel seems destined to play second fiddle. If Cox and benter are as good as people here say they are, Ertel seems destined to be a back-up. Maybe Ertel will be awesome. But isn't tat exactly what the posters here have said about every single guard that commits to Purdue?

Shout your praises now. but it sure seems like a broken record that every time a player commits, people say the exact same thing and believe he will become the next star player. How bout we see how Cox, benton, Myles and Harris do before we start praising somebody who will not arrive for another 2 years? maybe by then Mullins will have taken over as our next super star.

what I'm saying is it's kind of hard to get excited about a 3 star guard from the recruiting class of 2026, when we haven't seen what Harris and myles can do yet.

• Wow
Reactions: Heads up BOILER

my thoughts are twofold. Painter LOVES to play a guard at the 3 spot. that could change. who knows. I personally would love to see Sisley play the three, but i'm wise enough to realize that will never happen. Maybe Ertel won't play the 3. But for him to get any playing time, a guard will have to move over to play the three. maybe Cox, Benton or myles or Harris will move over to play the 3. that's a lot of IFS.

Painter is also recruiting several guards in the 2025 class. do I believe Ertel would start over Mullins ? No. Harris ? no. Myles? No. Harrelson ? No. Cox or benter ? maybe.

If Mullins and Harralson sign, Ertel seems destined to play second fiddle. If Cox and benter are as good as people here say they are, Ertel seems destined to be a back-up. Maybe Ertel will be awesome. But isn't tat exactly what the posters here have said about every single guard that commits to Purdue?

Shout your praises now. but it sure seems like a broken record that every time a player commits, people say the exact same thing and believe he will become the next star player. How bout we see how Cox, benton, Myles and Harris do before we start praising somebody who will not arrive for another 2 years? maybe by then Mullins will have taken over as our next super star.

what I'm saying is it's kind of hard to get excited about a 3 star guard from the recruiting class of 2026, when we haven't seen what Harris and myles can do yet.
I did mention Myles…it’s the first word in my 2nd paragraph. And Haralson is a 1 and done. Mullins is 2-3 year but doesn’t play PG…which is what Ertel plays. I would love to have Mullins and Sisley…but those two are not playing the same position as Ertel.

And it’s Benter not Benton.

Who's said he's going to be a star? I see people acknowledging him and that he can play. Rotation? Off the bench? Star? Nobody knows and i don't see anyone projecting him to be. ????

I didn’t say he was going to be good or bad.

What I did say is he is a 2006 guard. And in order for him to get any playing time, one of our current 4 guards is going to have to move over to the 3 to make space for him.

And we’re recruiting several other highly regarded 2025 guards. I didn't even mention the other 2025 andc2026 guards we’re recruiting !

As for mentor or benton. Tell your friends to start spelling my name right and I may start spelling other names right. You act as if this was the first time I misspelled a name .

Get a spell checker and I may use it! Become a starter and I may remember how to spell your name.

Don’t ask me how to spell players from other teams because I really don’t care

What I did say is he is a 2006 guard. And in order for him to get any playing time, one of our current 4 guards is going to have to move over to the 3 to make space for him.

And we’re recruiting several other highly regarded 2025 guards. I didn't even mention the other 2025 andc2026 guards we’re recruiting !

As for mentor or benton. Tell your friends to start spelling my name right and I may start spelling other names right. You act as if this was the first time I misspelled a name .

Get a spell checker and I may use it! Become a starter and I may remember how to spell your name.

Smith and Loyer will be gone Wol.

Spell check doesn’t get your years right. 2006? What is this Old School? Bigs, wish I could say “you are my boy!”

And if you truly are a fan, it isn’t hard to spell players names right on “your” team. Clearly you are feverishly typing a response (most of the time that hasn’t actually been thought through) and can’t be bothered to get names or years right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT