ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Ertel Commits!

is there a reason you didn't mention Myles ?

my thoughts are twofold. Painter LOVES to play a guard at the 3 spot. that could change. who knows. I personally would love to see Sisley play the three, but i'm wise enough to realize that will never happen. Maybe Ertel won't play the 3. But for him to get any playing time, a guard will have to move over to play the three. maybe Cox, Benton or myles or Harris will move over to play the 3. that's a lot of IFS.

Painter is also recruiting several guards in the 2025 class. do I believe Ertel would start over Mullins ? No. Harris ? no. Myles? No. Harrelson ? No. Cox or benter ? maybe.

If Mullins and Harralson sign, Ertel seems destined to play second fiddle. If Cox and benter are as good as people here say they are, Ertel seems destined to be a back-up. Maybe Ertel will be awesome. But isn't tat exactly what the posters here have said about every single guard that commits to Purdue?

Shout your praises now. but it sure seems like a broken record that every time a player commits, people say the exact same thing and believe he will become the next star player. How bout we see how Cox, benton, Myles and Harris do before we start praising somebody who will not arrive for another 2 years? maybe by then Mullins will have taken over as our next super star.

what I'm saying is it's kind of hard to get excited about a 3 star guard from the recruiting class of 2026, when we haven't seen what Harris and myles can do yet.
We're not getting Mullins or Haralson

I'm with Wole here, honestly. I get that we trust Painter to develop unproven players, but it would be nice to have a few players that are being looked at with blue bloods. I also think that would help us avoid getting outclassed in our next ncaa title game a la stephon castle.

I'm with Wole here, honestly. I get that we trust Painter to develop unproven players, but it would be nice to have a few players that are being looked at with blue bloods. I also think that would help us avoid getting outclassed in our next ncaa title game a la stephon castle.
Purdue beats any other team in the country besides UConn…which has been considered one of the best teams in the last 20 years.

And we are in contention and making “final cuts” with guys getting looked at by blue bloods. Painter has an idea of what to do and it’s been working pretty well the last decade. I’m sure he will look to seriously adjust to NIL once Bearden, Loyer, TKR and Waddell graduate.

And as a Reds fan, I wish we would have signed Ohtani…

So you disappointed we settled on Edey and Braden? Or the other 10 non-blue blood scholarship players that took us to the finals?

So you disappointed we settled on Edey and Braden? Or the other 10 non-blue blood scholarship players that took us to the finals?
well if one of Dickinson or Kalk had committed we still would have had them for a fifth year 😂 and had to pay them big NIL….

And maybe if we had kept 4 star Jameel Brown….he would…well he’s nowhere near the level of Braden and we wouldn’t have gone to the NC.

is there a reason you didn't mention Myles ?

my thoughts are twofold. Painter LOVES to play a guard at the 3 spot. that could change. who knows. I personally would love to see Sisley play the three, but i'm wise enough to realize that will never happen. Maybe Ertel won't play the 3. But for him to get any playing time, a guard will have to move over to play the three. maybe Cox, Benton or myles or Harris will move over to play the 3. that's a lot of IFS.

Painter is also recruiting several guards in the 2025 class. do I believe Ertel would start over Mullins ? No. Harris ? no. Myles? No. Harrelson ? No. Cox or benter ? maybe.

If Mullins and Harralson sign, Ertel seems destined to play second fiddle. If Cox and benter are as good as people here say they are, Ertel seems destined to be a back-up. Maybe Ertel will be awesome. But isn't tat exactly what the posters here have said about every single guard that commits to Purdue?

Shout your praises now. but it sure seems like a broken record that every time a player commits, people say the exact same thing and believe he will become the next star player. How bout we see how Cox, benton, Myles and Harris do before we start praising somebody who will not arrive for another 2 years? maybe by then Mullins will have taken over as our next super star.

what I'm saying is it's kind of hard to get excited about a 3 star guard from the recruiting class of 2026, when we haven't seen what Harris and myles can do yet.
We will have 15 scholarships available. That’s 3 for each position you are obsessed with pigeon holing. And guess what every team will have 12-15 scholarship players. And you are obsessed with starting. Lance jones came here knowing he would have to battle 5 other guys for 3 spots. It’s competition these kids will have to go somewhere knowing they will have to earn the spot. And many are fine with being a role player. Especially at Purdue where they are told up front all this and we reward players for working hard.

Why shouldn’t we be excited about him or others? Does he have the talent and offer sheet of Haralson? No. But none of our guys did and we see what they are capable of. Paint saw this guy early and identified him as a good fit for his system and he’s committed early as he sees the fit too…

We will have 15 scholarships available. That’s 3 for each position you are obsessed with pigeon holing. And guess what every team will have 12-15 scholarship players. And you are obsessed with starting. Lance jones came here knowing he would have to battle 5 other guys for 3 spots. It’s competition these kids will have to go somewhere knowing they will have to earn the spot. And many are fine with being a role player. Especially at Purdue where they are told up front all this and we reward players for working hard.

Why shouldn’t we be excited about him or others? Does he have the talent and offer sheet of Haralson? No. But none of our guys did and we see what they are capable of. Paint saw this guy early and identified him as a good fit for his system and he’s committed early as he sees the fit too…
The big thing to me is "He already wants to be a Boiler." He knows the culture, he knows the "earning your time." He probably knows about Kramer, Cardinal and some other floor burn guys. He can be a guy who makes a huge difference in a few minutes.

We need guys like Luke, but we also need guys like Haralson if we are to get back to the final 4 with a chance to win it all.
Interestingly, the only three top 100 recruits we had on our last Final Four team (a few months ago) were #50 TKR (Purdue's 6th leading scorer), #63 Myles Colvin (7th) and #67 Caleb Furst (10th).

Interestingly, the only three top 100 recruits we had on our last Final Four team (a few months ago) were #50 TKR (Purdue's 6th leading scorer), #63 Myles Colvin (7th) and #67 Caleb Furst (10th).
This is interesting as well as telling .. coaching!!!! of less than great players.

Is he giving up football? Pretty much missed last year because of a football injury...

Prob need to include Loyer and Morton. Both were ESPN top 100. And on the other Purdue site, Loyer’s bio states top 100 recruit.

His court IQ/vision and movement off the ball all remind me of Hummel.

He also has an old school shooting form/release which I kinda dig.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I agree with some of what you're saying here, which is that Painter needs to land stars in addition to great program guys. I think Ertel is more of the latter, but I could be wrong.

Where I completely disagree with you is the view that a player has to be highly recruited or have 'blue blood' offers to be a star. Painter has proven with Carsen, Vince Edwards, Trevion, Jaden, Braden, and others that you don't need to be highly ranked or highly recruited to be a first team BT or an AA at Purdue.

I agree with some of what you're saying here, which is that Painter needs to land stars in addition to great program guys. I think Ertel is more of the latter, but I could be wrong.

Where I completely disagree with you is the view that a player has to be highly recruited or have 'blue blood' offers to be a star. Painter has proven with Carsen, Vince Edwards, Trevion, Jaden, Braden, and others that you don't need to be highly ranked or highly recruited to be a first team BT or an AA at Purdue.
How you forget Edey 😂

How you forget Edey 😂
Holy shit. I'm getting old.

Note that I said did not explicitly mention that you don't need to be highly ranked or recruited to be a two time NPOY 😂
Face Facepalm GIF by SWR3

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
well if one of Dickinson or Kalk had committed we still would have had them for a fifth year 😂 and had to pay them big NIL….

And maybe if we had kept 4 star Jameel Brown….he would…well he’s nowhere near the level of Braden and we wouldn’t have gone to the NC.
The little video I saw I just never saw Jameel fast enough. He had range, but I was never high on him and figured there had to be things I never saw

I didn’t say he was going to be good or bad.

What I did say is he is a 2006 guard. And in order for him to get any playing time, one of our current 4 guards is going to have to move over to the 3 to make space for him.

And we’re recruiting several other highly regarded 2025 guards. I didn't even mention the other 2025 andc2026 guards we’re recruiting !

As for mentor or benton. Tell your friends to start spelling my name right and I may start spelling other names right. You act as if this was the first time I misspelled a name .

Get a spell checker and I may use it! Become a starter and I may remember how to spell your name.

Don’t ask me how to spell players from other teams because I really don’t care
OMG, I'm so glad I have you on ignore.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Sure that's the goal. But National Runner-up is something to be proud of in my mind.
Well according to a certain fanbase it’s a total failure as it was the “best season in our history” and we couldn’t even win it all!

First they said we’d flop in the tourney, then said we’d lose to Utah state, then lose to Gonzaga and then lose to UT and not make a F4. Then it was “Burns is going to kill Edey” and then it was “oh you can’t even win it all with the NPOTYx2 and you got killed by UConn”.

😂 😂 😂 I’d rather have that than not make the tournament every other year on average over the last 25 years.

@tjreese - what do you think about his jumping forward on his shot?
The ideal to me is landing where you take off on jump shots, but understand on some drives that can't happen. Kids today become good with some things that would have been no-no's years ago. Jumping forward (and that is more than a couple of inches) also increases the chances of landing on another's foot and twisting an ankle. You like the shooting foot a couple of inches forward, but not jumping forward because as you know...that now adds another variable affecting the touch on the shot. I also think using the glass more should increase as it increases the chances of making the basket...like jump hooks, or just anything close to the rim

Last edited:
Exciting times to be a Boilermaker. Seeing a 16 year old lead this year's loaded Indiana Elite team says it all!
Luke Ertel is a winner and should be a great Boilermaker.

If he's 80 percent of the athlete that Chris Kramer was, he will be awesome!
I think the most important part is the 16 year old on that talented team and his fit around talent. He obviously leads, but can score as well and can do so off the ball or with the ball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT