ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Ertel Commits!

Would be great if he grows a bit taller and puts on some muscle over the next two years…and stays committed!
he said Purdue was his dream school I think he stays committed no matter what. Of course a guess, but Purdue was his best offer and early. He is a couple of hours away from going to lots of games when he doesn't play next year. Not a lot of programs better than Purdue at this time.

Don't all guys grow an inch or two when they sign with Purdue?
Very true…

Morton went from 6’4 Soph year to 6’7 jr year (even tho he looked shorter than Paint when standing next to him 🤔)

Smith went from 5’10 Frosh year to 6 foot (I think he’s closer to 5’10)

Zach was the only one who actually grew an inch from jr to sr year haha…which is crazy that he was still growing (confirmed by combine).

Very true…

Morton went from 6’4 Soph year to 6’7 jr year (even tho he looked shorter than Paint when standing next to him 🤔)

Smith went from 5’10 Frosh year to 6 foot (I think he’s closer to 5’10)

Zach was the only one who actually grew an inch from jr to sr year haha…which is crazy that he was still growing (confirmed by combine).
I think he is closer to 6'...maybe 5'11.5 "? Just a guess as it is hard to compare size just talking while standing and that was in high school. Someone here from Westfield "might" have had a lot of exposure and a better feel for his physical height (his mental height is much taller ;) )

I think he is closer to 6'...maybe 5'11.5 "? Just a guess as it is hard to compare size just talking while standing and that was in high school. Someone here from Westfield "might" have had a lot of exposure and a better feel for his physical height (his mental height is much taller ;) )
Could be true…I’m just comparing him next to PJ and they are pretty similar in height and PJ isn’t known to be 6 foot 😂…not that it matters haha

Reactions: tjreese
It's the West Lafayette water. ;)

It's not unusual for men to continue growing after 18. I grew almost 2 more inches in college. Measured at my doctor's office, not the Purdue athletic department.
I’m still waiting on the growth spurt…it’s still going to happen, right…right?!

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
My 5’-8” daughter sat behind him in a class and said he’s barely 5’-9”.

His long arms help him play like he’s 6’-2” tho.

My 5’-8” daughter sat behind him in a class and said he’s barely 5’-9”.

His long arms help him play like he’s 6’-2” tho.
I'm 6'1"+a little and I tried to pay attention to his size when I first met him. It was after his game and I think he had some rubber sandals on. I tried to be conscious of his height since that was a topic when he committed and thought he was pushing 6'0. Obviously I could be mistaken, but 5'9" seems a bit off unless he was stretching up and I hadn't noticed. ;) BTW, my daughter is 5'9" and liked the extra height of heels. ;)

Reactions: northside100
I'm 6'1"+a little and I tried to pay attention to his size when I first met him. It was after his game and I think he had some rubber sandals on. I tried to be conscious of his height since that was a topic when he committed and thought he was pushing 6'0. Obviously I could be mistaken, but 5'9" seems a bit off unless he was stretching up and I hadn't noticed. ;) BTW, my daughter is 5'9" and liked the extra height of heels. ;)
Maybe we’ll find out someday at the NBA combine.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Yeah, my guess is that he measures close to 5'11" in bare feet. As others stated he plays more like 6'2" due to his arm length.

Does anyone here know why standing reach isn't a more commonly used stat in basketball, volleyball, etc? Seems like that should be at least as important a stat as height. I'd rather a 6'2" kid long arms than a 6'5" kid with average arms and a long neck.

Reactions: jtanoos1
Yeah, my guess is that he measures close to 5'11" in bare feet. As others stated he plays more like 6'2" due to his arm length.

Does anyone here know why standing reach isn't a more commonly used stat in basketball, volleyball, etc? Seems like that should be at least as important a stat as height. I'd rather a 6'2" kid long arms than a 6'5" kid with average arms and a long neck.
No idea. I think all those measurements are only important when deciding between two players that are considered equal for what you want...which will probably never be in play. We know that as you go from high school to college to the pros the average height gets taller. However, I think the height is the result of what you want and have seen in play rather than it being the important thing and then actual play. I could see 5'11" in bare feet, but 5'9" seems low to me. There are so many shapes for a given height...neck length, high waist, low waist, then add standing reach, wingspan etc..

My take, for what it’s worth, is he’s 16 playing up on a highly touted AAU team and running the offense at the point. He’s been successful in high school showing versatility. He plays with tenacity on D evidently and wants to be a Boilermaker and he fits . I don’t think Paint offers and signs him early unless there’s some there there! I have no clue where his ranking eventually ends up, and really don’t care much. If he doesn’t keep improving then maybe it’s a swing and a miss but we’ll see if Painters eye has spotted a winner again?

My take, for what it’s worth, is he’s 16 playing up on a highly touted AAU team and running the offense at the point. He’s been successful in high school showing versatility. He plays with tenacity on D evidently and wants to be a Boilermaker and he fits . I don’t think Paint offers and signs him early unless there’s some there there! I have no clue where his ranking eventually ends up, and really don’t care much. If he doesn’t keep improving then maybe it’s a swing and a miss but we’ll see if Painters eye has spotted a winner again?
True, and again he is on an AAU team with more talent than some players in college NOW and he fits. How much he improves...who knows, but there are going to be some players that go to college and play more and/or less than initially imagined. I feel pretty confident than he is better than some PGs before him and Purdue won with them. He wants to be at Purdue and I am unaware of any red flags on the culture. I'm ready for the next commitment. ;)

this~~~

No idea. I think all those measurements are only important when deciding between two players that are considered equal for what you want...which will probably never be in play. We know that as you go from high school to college to the pros the average height gets taller. However, I think the height is the result of what you want and have seen in play rather than it being the important thing and then actual play. I could see 5'11" in bare feet, but 5'9" seems low to me. There are so many shapes for a given height...neck length, high waist, low waist, then add standing reach, wingspan etc..
You know this stuff better than I do but I'd think that the measurables also are used as a predictor for how well what what you're doing at one level will translate to the next. Plenty of really talented 6' high school shooting guards don't get a crack at the high major level because the perception is that they'll struggle to get their shot off.

So I agree with you that if players are within an inch or two of each other the measurable may not matter but I'd assume that there's a reason that Cline, Sasha, Dakota, Fletch, etc. are all 6'4" plus.

You know this stuff better than I do but I'd think that the measurables also are used as a predictor for how well what what you're doing at one level will translate to the next. Plenty of really talented 6' high school shooting guards don't get a crack at the high major level because the perception is that they'll struggle to get their shot off.

So I agree with you that if players are within an inch or two of each other the measurable may not matter but I'd assume that there's a reason that Cline, Sasha, Dakota, Fletch, etc. are all 6'4" plus.
probably... I'm not saying it well. If all those were 6'1" and did what they did it wouldn't matter. Nor would it matter if they were 6'6" and couldn't do it. As I said somewhere, the average player gets taller as they go from high school to college and then to the pros and so players that are good enough to accomplish what they do is their ability which generally trends to a taller player, but we all know being tall doesn't make you good and of course being small doesn't make you good.

Once you have what you want then height is "a" deciding factor. There isn't a whole lot of pgs that coaches would take over Braden and it isn't because he is shorter than most..it is because of what he can do...and that was the point I "tried" to make...in that it was the package that was most important...and that package may be short or tall, but generally on the average taller from high school to college to pros...because "measurables" do many times factor in that "package" that we see...but it is still the package. Also, I don't know that I know this any better than you or anyone else...I'm just another poster that maybe types too much because I do like discussing basketball. ;)

probably... I'm not saying it well. If all those were 6'1" and did what they did it wouldn't matter. Nor would it matter if they were 6'6" and couldn't do it. As I said somewhere, the average player gets taller as they go from high school to college and then to the pros and so players that are good enough to accomplish what they do is their ability which generally trends to a taller player, but we all know being tall doesn't make you good and of course being small doesn't make you good.

Once you have what you want then height is "a" deciding factor. There isn't a whole lot of pgs that coaches would take over Braden and it isn't because he is shorter than most..it is because of what he can do...and that was the point I "tried" to make...in that it was the package that was most important...and that package may be short or tall, but generally on the average taller from high school to college to pros...because "measurables" do many times factor in that "package" that we see...but it is still the package. Also, I don't know that I know this any better than you or anyone else...I'm just another poster that maybe types too much because I do like discussing basketball. ;)
Absolutely agree that it's only one component and I think in some ways we're saying the same thing. Carsen was a shooting guard and measured under 5'11" and had the third lowest standing reach at the NBA combine but he had so many other positive attributes that he was still one of the best players in the country at Purdue.

Sasha was a great shooter and did a lot of other things well, but if you put him in a 5'11" body he doesn't sniff a scholarship at Purdue. On the flip side, if Carsen keeps all his other attributes and is 6'5" he 1) gets an offer from UT or others and doesn't make it to Purdue 2) is almost certainly a lottery pick and never makes it to his junior season.

My point in my original post wasn't that measurements are the end all and be all, only that I've never understood why standing reach and wingspan aren't talked about as much as height when discussing tangible attributes.

But TJ! We have been told over and over from other fanbases that a certain player is only good because “he’s just tall” 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT