ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville fires Petrino

AD Mike Bobinski has about $51.5 million annually to show Brohm how committed he is to keeping him here. BTW, that's just a check that is cut to the B1G schools in 2018. With new TV rights and such coming forward, that number will increase.

Does UL have that type of money to play around with to not only pay Brohm but to support the program.

Honest question: Does going back to your school who has an AD that is flux and doesn't have the monetary situation to truly compete in their conference and division sound attractive vs. what Bobinski and Purdue can offer Brohm? A rational person clearly sees that answer is no. I wouldn't be surprised if Brohm were to take a hard look but if it was as difficult as he said to leave WKU, my guess it'll be even harder than that to leave Purdue.

Yes, Louisville does have that amount of money. People these days do seem to think that Louisville is small-time because the school came up from Conference USA in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. What most people fail to recognize is that the reason Louisville had to do that is because it was very successful as a football major independent until the early 1990’s, and didn’t decide it was best for the athletic department to join a conference until then.

Louisville has always (at least since Schnellenberger became its football coach in 1985) generated a significant amount of revenue from both football and basketball, without the guaranteed revenue stream from a conference. Now it gets $28 million each year from the conference on top of football and basketball. And this is the year before the ACC Network comes online.

So yes, Louisville would be able to manage Petrino’s buyout without any problem at all. I just hope he turns this season around and makes that change unnecessary.

I get where you're coming from on this, but this has been one of the most rational, level headed discussions on this board in years, maybe DECADES! These boards have become unreadable in recent years with the pissing contests between Boilers and fighting back and forth.

I welcome this thread and the discussions in it. The bottom line is it is all just people's opinion on a situation they have no control over and it's been good conversation. NO ONE knows what Brohm is going to do except Brohm.

Troll loses in my opinion...SUCK IT TROLL!
Agree with your 2nd to last line. No one here knows. So why speculate? What good does it do? There is no such thing as a "good" conversation about your head coach leaving in the middle of a season. Pushing this dialogue to the forefront is exactly what our rivals want. It's like when did you stop beating your wife? Put that as a headline on a website or tweet it out and all of a sudden people start jumping to conclusions that were there's smoke there's fire. Recruiting just got a big boost and now the recruits can come on here or other sites and see a bunch of "level headed" Purdue fans discussing how they don't expect Brohm to be here for long. Really??

What makes you so confident about Brohm or is this just an opinion?
JMO...….

He can get the U of L job anytime.....so I do not see him rushing off to do it because it will be marred in muddy waters. (Too many turds in the river floating by at this time as they say in that neck of the woods or bend in the river.)

Plus he is a family man and wouldn't want his family to go thru all that mud.

I know I wouldn't, plus he has it pretty good at Purdue and his family loves it in West La.....

Boiler Up!

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
Yes, Louisville does have that amount of money. People these days do seem to think that Louisville is small-time because the school came up from Conference USA in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. What most people fail to recognize is that the reason Louisville had to do that is because it was very successful as a football major independent until the early 1990’s, and didn’t decide it was best for the athletic department to join a conference until then.

Louisville has always (at least since Schnellenberger became its football coach in 1985) generated a significant amount of revenue from both football and basketball, without the guaranteed revenue stream from a conference. Now it gets $28 million each year from the conference on top of football and basketball. And this is the year before the ACC Network comes online.

So yes, Louisville would be able to manage Petrino’s buyout without any problem at all. I just hope he turns this season around and makes that change unnecessary.
Just a heads up, your own BOT believes they are in no position to fire Petrino without cause because...

“The university is not in a position to buy him out,” Tom Meeker said Monday.

Money is tight. Donations are down. The Hickman Camp Fund, whose $16.8 million balance represented more than two-thirds of ULAA’s available funds at the end of 2017, lost more than half of its value through basketball coach Chris Mack’s buyout from Xavier University and U of L’s settlement with former athletic director Tom Jurich.

Your own board believes it isn't able to do that right now...that won't change this season or in the off-season unless fans literally start donating at record numbers.

Article Link: Courier Journal: Louisville in no position to buy out Petrino

Reactions: Nukeboiler
The Brohm family is not going anywhere...….

and for the record I was happy with Coach Hope and his passion for Purdue and I feel eventually he would have done well, but that's JMO.

and the Haze took years off my life and made me drink too much.

Boiler Up all and enjoy the ride.
I think Hope could have done a nice job if he had even AVERAGE B1G funding, facilities, etc.

He was set up to fail, in retrospect.

Yeah, but no. You may want to talk to your own BOT.

And with regard to their pedigree, Louisville was in the Conf USA and the Big East prior to joining the ACC 7 years ago. Neither one of those conferences were Power 5 quality. They've done well as of late with Petrino. But historically, they don't have Purdue's history or ability to match funds at this point. The Big Ten revenue alone amounts to $51MM per school. Purdue can do alot of things Louisville can't, especially with Pitino's lawsuit, Papa John's money drying up, and Petrino's buyout. Any additional drama and I wouldn't be surprised if YUM distanced themselves from UL.

Seriously the U of L job would be a demotion. He has a great situation at Purdue right now. I think he is staying put for a while. The honeymoon isn't ending anytime soon! Win a Big Ten Championship as the Purdue coach and he can then pretty much pick and choose just about anywhere he may want to go. Hopefully CB decides to stay here for a decade or more. I mean its a 3 hour drive to Louisville; that's close enough if he gets homesick or wants to go home to Louisville for a weekend visit. ;)

We would block his transfer to Louisville. No way would we let that kind of annihilation to our program happen.
Pretty sure schools can’t block transfers anymore. Not that I’m worried about it in this case.
Yes they can. However you usually only see it blocked to schools in the same conference or future opponents unless you think there was some tampering going on.

Yeah, but no. You may want to talk to your own BOT.

And with regard to their pedigree, Louisville was in the Conf USA and the Big East prior to joining the ACC 7 years ago. Neither one of those conferences were Power 5 quality. They've done well as of late with Petrino. But historically, they don't have Purdue's history or ability to match funds at this point. The Big Ten revenue alone amounts to $51MM per school. Purdue can do alot of things Louisville can't, especially with Pitino's lawsuit, Papa John's money drying up, and Petrino's buyout. Any additional drama and I wouldn't be surprised if YUM distanced themselves from UL.

To answer both responses that said essentially the same thing ... yes, I do know about Tom Meeker’s comment to the Courier Journal. I know a lot more about it than each of you do, I’m sure. Meeker’s comment was basically taking advantage of an opportunity to call for donations to those donors who are disappointed with Petrino and want a change. Nothing more than that.

And if you think that Papa John’s $$ to the University are drying up, you are yet again mistaken. His pizza business name came off the stadium because he wanted a less public association with the University, like other major donors, including UPS and Brown and Williamson.

You don’t really seem to have a clue how much money UofL makes annually from premium seating revenue at our football stadium and basketball arena. It’s actually more than what you get from the Big Ten network.

Look ... I’m not here to pick a fight, at all. I consider Jeff Brohm a great coach, and since I have lived in Bedford and Bloomington for 30 years, I have many very good friends who are Boilermaker fans and alums. I’m thrilled that Jeff is having success as coach for your program. I’m hoping that Petrino gets another year, and the best news out of Louisville for Purdue fans is that the fan base is split about 50/50 between those upset fans that Meeker was speaking to and fans like me who are more patient and believe that Petrino deserves a year to get back to competing for ACC titles.

But I did want to post to let you know some things about UofL’s athletic department that few people understand.

UL should have lots of spare cash now that the hooker budget is pulled. Just kidding!

The success Brohm is having right now at Purdue is a combination of having a great defensive coordinator in Holt, a senior QB in Blough, and new facilities to attract recruits like Moore. He also has strong fan and administrative support.

Would Holt and the other assistants follow Brohm to Louisville? Would Moore and the other new recruits follow him? Maybe, but probably not. Maybe Holt becomes the new head coach here. Players bond with other players once on the team. I think transfers would be highly unlikely.

That same winning combination at Purdue might be years to find elsewhere. Brohm may never have the specific success he is having at Purdue if he moves to UL, regardless of the money thrown at the situation.

He has a perfect storm here. He might not find it elsewhere. We have all seen great coaches change jobs and quickly fail. It is because the combination of success factors cannot be rebuilt the new job. Bottom line: I think Brohm should and will stay with the Purdue program for some years. Besides, the UL job is not open at this time.

Reactions: BBG and indyogb
To answer both responses that said essentially the same thing ... yes, I do know about Tom Meeker’s comment to the Courier Journal. I know a lot more about it than each of you do, I’m sure. Meeker’s comment was basically taking advantage of an opportunity to call for donations to those donors who are disappointed with Petrino and want a change. Nothing more than that.

And if you think that Papa John’s $$ to the University are drying up, you are yet again mistaken. His pizza business name came off the stadium because he wanted a less public association with the University, like other major donors, including UPS and Brown and Williamson.

You don’t really seem to have a clue how much money UofL makes annually from premium seating revenue at our football stadium and basketball arena. It’s actually more than what you get from the Big Ten network.

Look ... I’m not here to pick a fight, at all. I consider Jeff Brohm a great coach, and since I have lived in Bedford and Bloomington for 30 years, I have many very good friends who are Boilermaker fans and alums. I’m thrilled that Jeff is having success as coach for your program. I’m hoping that Petrino gets another year, and the best news out of Louisville for Purdue fans is that the fan base is split about 50/50 between those upset fans that Meeker was speaking to and fans like me who are more patient and believe that Petrino deserves a year to get back to competing for ACC titles.

But I did want to post to let you know some things about UofL’s athletic department that few people understand.

You lost all credibility when you implied it was Schnatter's decision to remove the name from the stadium. It may have been part of the contract between U of L and Papa Johns, but he didn't initiate the action. It was your own school President and BOTs that made that decision. And it had everything to do with the schools decision to distance themselves from Papa after his N word debacle, not the other way around. If your school is still accepting donations, they're bigger hypocrites than I thought they were.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courier-journal.com/amp/783009002

You apparently know less than you think. U of L total revenue budget in 2018 was $105MM of which seat donations were $16.6MM, not the $50MM+ you claim. Most of that is spent on all of their athletic program expenses. The only way they buyout Petrino is to gain more donations or dip into their endowment, which has dwindled after the Jurich buyout.

Yes they can. However you usually only see it blocked to schools in the same conference or future opponents unless you think there was some tampering going on.
I’m almost positive that rule changed this year with the new guidelines on transferring. But I might be wrong.

Just a heads up, your own BOT believes they are in no position to fire Petrino without cause because...

“The university is not in a position to buy him out,” Tom Meeker said Monday.

Money is tight. Donations are down. The Hickman Camp Fund, whose $16.8 million balance represented more than two-thirds of ULAA’s available funds at the end of 2017, lost more than half of its value through basketball coach Chris Mack’s buyout from Xavier University and U of L’s settlement with former athletic director Tom Jurich.

Your own board believes it isn't able to do that right now...that won't change this season or in the off-season unless fans literally start donating at record numbers.

Article Link: Courier Journal: Louisville in no position to buy out Petrino
That's Louisville speak for, "hey wealthy donors in louisville, be ready to pony up your money for Petrino's buyout so that we can go and pluck Brohm"....and they will too. There are a lot of wealthy people in louisville who pony up when the need arises.

That's Louisville speak for, "hey wealthy donors in louisville, be ready to pony up your money for Petrino's buyout so that we can go and pluck Brohm"....and they will too. There are a lot of wealthy people in louisville who pony up when the need arises.

Good luck with that...

Reactions: pboiler18

Must be all that horse and bourbon money... Oh and cardboard style pizza..

There will be a story that will come out before weeks end that will negate his contract and buyout. Money wont be an issue for our next coach. He is not being fired for his record but for something unethical. You will see....trust me
I was disconnected from media this weekend. Can someone fill me in on the details?

Like I said in a previous post. His wife and children look HAPPY. He looks happy and we have a large bank account ready to go.

Listen Louisville is the hometown. Yes it was his school but he isn't going back.

My parents were immigrants I love to vacation to the home country. But would never live there or move from the best country on earth.

He can love his home town school but he isn't going back for more than a trip to visit family and friends. That place is a toxic dump. Town & College are both terrible.
I think people overrate the "hometown" thing. It's nice and all, but there is so much more that factors into it. How does that job even really translate to something more than a lateral move at best? What might be more plausible is his brother Brian becoming head coach there

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think Hope could have done a nice job if he had even AVERAGE B1G funding, facilities, etc.

He was set up to fail, in retrospect.
Maybe not setup to fail, but Burke and Hope didn't have the financial backing and support from the President and BOT that the athletic department enjoys now. Also, the BiG Ten Network money is a lot greater now than it was 10 years ago.

Reactions: Purdue85
You apparently know less than you think. U of L total revenue budget in 2018 was $105MM of which seat donations were $16.6MM, not the $50MM+ you claim. Most of that is spent on all of their athletic program expenses. The only way they buyout Petrino is to gain more donations or dip into their endowment, which has dwindled after the Jurich buyout.
Maybe they hit on a Trifecta? :)

Maybe not setup to fail, but Burke and Hope didn't have the financial backing and support from the President and BOT that the athletic department enjoys now. Also, the BiG Ten Network money is a lot greater now than it was 10 years ago.
A competitive President doesn’t hurt. I heard from a VERY good source that Mitch went ballistic at a BOT meeting during the Hazell era, dropping F bombs, and demanding that football get fixed.

I was disconnected from media this weekend. Can someone fill me in on the details?

The details are that the dude Chapman doesn't know what he's talking about. Whenever you hear someone use the words "trust me, this is going to happen", don't listen. I think they believed Petrino knew about the Averett rape allegations before he allowed Averett to play in the BC game. Petrino may be slime, but he's no idiot. He would have committed contract suicide if he decided to play someone after knowing they had been accused of rape. Wishful thinking on U of L fans hoping the $14.1MM buyout magically goes away...

The details are that the dude Chapman doesn't know what he's talking about. Whenever you hear someone use the words "trust me, this is going to happen", don't listen. I think they believed Petrino knew about the Averett rape allegations before he allowed Averett to play in the BC game. Petrino may be slime, but he's no idiot. He would have committed contract suicide if he decided to play someone after knowing they had been accused of rape. Wishful thinking on U of L fans hoping the $14.1MM buyout magically goes away...
Yep. First it was breaking news today. Then the goalposts moved to the end of the week. Surprised he hasn't come back with a new schedule. I wonder if he was one of those Y2K turned 2012 Mayan calendar apocalypse people.

I can’t wait to come back to this thread in late December and see all the folks praising Brohm. All of you will be on here trashing him for heading back home to Louisville.

So keep doing what you do. But I’ll be back in December to check in on you.

I can’t wait to come back to this thread in late December and see all the folks praising Brohm. All of you will be on here trashing him for heading back home to Louisville.

So keep doing what you do. But I’ll be back in December to check in on you.

When you have some real info that's credible come back. Until then, go away...

Is it possible that these mystery posters with so much inside information are really fans of some other BIG10 School. And are just looking to throw as much controversy and distraction at as many Purdue people as they can?

Is it possible that these mystery posters with so much inside information are really fans of some other BIG10 School. And are just looking to throw as much controversy and distraction at as many Purdue people as they can?

Nope...I truly believe that big time donors and insiders at major programs make up brand new rivals profiles just to share information they are privy too. ;)

One thing I noticed while walking past football performance complex last week. 04' Honda Accord parked in Brohm's space carries KY tags. After living in IN for almost 2 yrs, why still have KY tags? Is this a bad omen?
I would highly doubt someone being paid what Brohm is drives a 04 anything.

No.... but my point was about the KY plates. Per law, new residents have 6 mos to obtain IN tags/registration/license. I suspect he is still a KY legal resident, no?
If they arent expired, how many people do you think abide by that 6 months?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT