ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville fires Petrino

I never said I don’t respect your opinion. I do. I’m sure you respect mine. I just think we are projecting our opinion of Louisville on someone who has almost assuredly a totally different attachment to that school. Maybe it’s overplayed. Maybe not.
I never said he wouldn’t leave for a Louisville, just that if he does then he wasn’t what I thought he was.

Last edited:
I never said he wouldn’t leave for a Louisville, just that if he does then he wasn’t what I thought he was.
That’s fair enough. In a weird way that’s the only school he could leave us for that I think I could rationalize. I don’t think a Brinks truck is going to sway him.

Why don’t we just go and crush MSU and worry about what bowl we’re going to?

Reactions: Futureboiler
That’s fair enough. In a weird way that’s the only school he could leave us for that I think I could rationalize. I don’t think a Brinks truck is going to sway him.

Why don’t we just go and crush MSU and worry about what bowl we’re going to?
I can see that too. Rescuing the alma mater.

MBob, Mitch and Berghoff need to make an aggressive, proactive move here.

I don't mean to be rude, but do any of you actually think that MBob did not have a discussion concerning Jeff's interests in UL before he was hired???

Sorry, but I am guessing that issue was settled two years ago.
Likely discussed but the issue will be with us until they ask and he says no. Until then it will continue to be an unspoken issue. Take a look at the Louisville Courier Journal. Multiple articles on this topic.

I don't mean to be rude, but do any of you actually think that MBob did not have a discussion concerning Jeff's interests in UL before he was hired???

Sorry, but I am guessing that issue was settled two years ago.
MBob: would you have interest in going back to UL at some point?
Brohm: yes.
MBob: Do you want to be the coach here?

Beggars can’t be choosers. We were beggars two years ago.

Likely discussed but the issue will be with us until they ask and he says no. Until then it will continue to be an unspoken issue. Take a look at the Louisville Courier Journal. Multiple articles on this topic.

The media is there to make money and stir up interest. And like most media, they can only speculate about the facts.

The last I checked, they were not at the bargaining table between Jeff and MBob.

Jeff is smart in keeping relatively quiet. He says just enough to the media (like today's interview) to keep the recruits honest, but not so much as to lose any leverage in negotiations with MBob for a raise for him or his staff.

But does the UL media know anything we don't? Not a chance.

Last year's episode with UTenn is a perfect example. "Done deal!" lol

The media is there to make money and stir up interest. And like most media, they can only speculate about the facts.

The last I checked, they were not at the bargaining table between Jeff and MBob.

Jeff is smart in keeping relatively quiet. He says just enough to the media (like today's interview) to keep the recruits honest, but not so much as to lose any leverage in negotiations with MBob for a raise for him or his staff.

But does the UL media know anything we don't? Not a chance.

Last year's episode with UTenn is a perfect example. "Done deal!" lol
Well, to play devil's advocate, I don't doubt the LJC has several close sources at least sort of near to the family. So who knows. I don't think MBob asked him what schools he'd leave Purdue for. Do you when you hire someone?

MBob: would you have interest in going back to UL at some point?
Brohm: yes.
MBob: Do you want to be the coach here?

Beggars can’t be choosers. We were beggars two years ago.

And if we were such beggars, why isn't there an out for Brohm to UL in his contract with us. It's not unusual if the candidate makes his loyalties known up front.

More than likely, I believe Brohm is the kind of man who likes going against the grain. The kind of guy who would take on a Purdue job just to prove it to the world it can be done.

That kind of man is not the kind of guy who is looking to return his alma mater to success after only two years at a place like Purdue. He could have stayed at WKU, and waited.

But he didn't. Why is that???

And if we were such beggars, why isn't there an out for Brohm to UL in his contract with us. It's not unusual if the candidate makes his loyalties known up front.

More than likely, I believe Brohm is the kind of man who likes going against the grain. The kind of guy who would take on a Purdue job just to prove it to the world it can be done.

That kind of man is not the kind of guy who is looking to return his alma mater to success after only two years at a place like Purdue. He could have stayed at WKU, and waited.

I love your passion. But you seem to know exactly what he's thinking. I don't. I'd love him to come out tomorrow to put any questions to rest and say he's here for a long time. That would dramatically help close the deal on the few remaining recruits we need and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Reactions: cjcollie

Didn’t know Petrino would fly off the rails so quickly?

Oh, and money.

Well, to play devil's advocate, I don't doubt the LJC has several close sources at least sort of near to the family. So who knows. I don't think MBob asked him what schools he'd leave Purdue for. Do you when you hire someone?

C'mon. I really don't want to be rude to you or anyone else here. But it was well known that the Brohm family has been the First Family of Football in Louisville and at UL long before he was hired here.

If MBob did not know that, and did not ask that question in the interview process, then he is dumber than I thought.

Besides, Brohm's dad - the patriarch of the Brohm clan blessed his son's choice to go to Purdue. Sometimes the family supports a fresh direction for the offspring.

I don't recall Archie Manning ever leaning on Peyton to attend Ole Miss, or to play for the Saints. I think it is entirely possible that Brohm's dad supports Jeff in forging his own identity beyond UL and Louisville.

And I would be shocked if anyone in the Brohm clan would disclose Jeff's confidential thoughts to anyone in the media. In this case, blood is certainly thicker than ink, if you know what I mean.

C'mon. I really don't want to be rude to you or anyone else here. But it was well known that the Brohm family has been the First Family of Football in Louisville and at UL long before he was hired here.

If MBob did not know that, and did not ask that question in the interview process, then he is dumber than I thought.

Besides, Brohm's dad - the patriarch of the Brohm clan blessed his son's choice to go to Purdue. Sometimes the family supports a fresh direction for the offspring.

I don't recall Archie Manning ever leaning on Peyton to attend Ole Miss, or to play for the Saints. I think it is entirely possible that Brohm's dad supports Jeff in forging his own identity beyond UL and Louisville.

And I would be shocked if anyone in the Brohm clan would disclose Jeff's confidential thoughts to anyone in the media. In this case, blood is certainly thicker than ink, if you know what I mean.
Have you hired anyone? Did you ask them to list what companies they would quit your company to go work for?

Listen, I don't really care. I appreciate your takes on this and other posts. But I just keep pushing back against the thought that Brohm would never leave Purdue for Louisville. I hope he doesn't. I think he could surpass Tiller. But only Brohm knows how he truly feels about his alma mater.

Didn’t know Petrino would fly off the rails so quickly?

Oh, and money.

A. Not sure Petrino is done at UL. He is the most successful coach in UL's history, and this is p-o-s-s-i-b-l-y his first and only losing season there.

B. Brohm is going to make millions and millions and millions during his career. Considering he drives an old 2004 Accord, I'm guessing he doesn't care if he makes a million more here or there. Just so that he is paid fairly - which we will do.

C. For those who believe money is somehow part of the equation, Purdue (and other B1G schools) are getting around $51 million in 2018 from the Big Ten Network. UL (and other ACC schools) have to shell out $10 million more in 2018 in startup costs for the ACC Network, which will start up in 2019. Projected revenues for each ACC school in the first year is between $10-15 million. So by the end of 2019, UL will have broken even, while Purdue likely pockets over $100 million. Now who do you think would win any prospective bidding war for Brohm and his staff???

Last edited:
A. Not sure Petrino is done at UL. He is the most successful coach in UL's history, and this is p-o-s-s-i-b-l-y his first and only losing season there.

B. Brohm is going to make millions and millions and millions during his career. Considering he drives an old 2004 Accord, I'm guessing he doesn't care just if he makes a million more here or there. Just so that he is paid fairly - which we will do.

C. Purdue (and other B1G schools) are getting around $51 million in 2018 from the Big Ten Network. UL (and other ACC schools) have to shell out $10 million more in 2018 in startup costs for the ACC Network, which will start up in 2019. Projected revenues for each ACC school in the first year is between $10-15 million. So by the end of 2019, UL will have broken even, while Purdue likely pockets over $100 million. Now who do you think will win any prospective bidding war for Brohm and his staff???
Bob, stop thinking it's a bidding war. It's not. It's either whether JB's heart is at Louisville or not. That's it.

Do you work? If so, I guarantee you could leave your current job as a Purdue grad and make more money than you do today. So why don't you? Because there are other factors at play that mean more to YOU than dollars. It doesn't matter what they are and it absolutely doesn't matter whether you make $120K or $2.9M.

Have you hired anyone? Did you ask them to list what companies they would quit your company to go work for?

Listen, I don't really care. I appreciate your takes on this and other posts. But I just keep pushing back against the thought that Brohm would never leave Purdue for Louisville. I hope he doesn't. I think he could surpass Tiller. But only Brohm knows how he truly feels about his alma mater.

I agree with you about Brohm's feelings. But I also think MBob would have been smart enough to explore that topic before hiring Jeff.

And to answer your question, yes, I have founded and run two successful companies and hired many software engineers, several of which I lost to clients much larger than my company. When you are a startup, it is imperative to discuss the risks vs. rewards of working at a startup as opposed to a larger company. New employees are always concerned about risk, as I was in hiring them.

If you don't ask such questions, you are absolutely asking for trouble.

Reactions: PurduePeteBsie87
I agree with you about Brohm's feelings. But I also think MBob would have been smart enough to explore that topic before hiring Jeff.

And to answer your question, yes, I have founded and run two successful companies and hired many software engineers, several of which I lost to clients much larger than my company. When you are a startup, it is imperative to discuss the risks vs. rewards of working at a startup as opposed to a larger company. New employees are always concerned about risk, as I was in hiring them.

If you don't ask such questions, you are absolutely asking for trouble.
So why did you hire them if you thought they would leave?

Bob, stop thinking it's a bidding war. It's not. It's either whether JB's heart is at Louisville or not. That's it.

Do you work? If so, I guarantee you could leave your current job as a Purdue grad and make more money than you do today. So why don't you? Because there are other factors at play that mean more to YOU than dollars. It doesn't matter what they are and it absolutely doesn't matter whether you make $120K or $2.9M.

I completely agree with you. My comments regarding a possibe "bidding war" were directed to those who might actually believe that is a realistic dimension in this discussion. If you read point B in my post, I think you will see that I don't think the money is all that relevant.

But if you think that MBob did not have those discussions with Brohm beforehand, then I think you are somewhat naive. In the precarious situation Purdue was in financially when we hired Brohm, MBob knew we could not misfire, or only see progress for a year or so, then collapse all over again.

He was not going to hire someone who he did not feel absolutely convinced that we would be able to retain - even with the success we've enjoyed. MBob knew a good candidate would win and would eventually get other offers. But he had to have had in place a plan to be able to retain that good candidate against such outside interest. And the only way to do that is to know your candidate up front - before you hire them - and know their hot buttons, their loyalties, what's important to them, and what is not.

To pay millions to anyone without knowing those answers is tantamount to throwing risk to the wind. And that is not how you run a successful operation.

So why did you hire them if you thought they would leave?

I did not hire them thinking they would leave! But then, no one works 30 years for the same company any longer. So I hired them, and they accepted, with both of us knowing the risks involved. But to answer your earlier question, my discussions with all prospective employees involved whether they were more interested in things like opportunity vs. job security, and how they visualized their career. And yes, I even asked which companies they always wanted to work for and why.

When they left, I lost a good resource, and they lost the appropriate benefits. But in each case, both of us knew the issues and risks up front. And in each case, the reasons I lost the people that I did were not related to the original reasons why they agreed to come to work with me. Life changes, and so do priorities. Oh well, you live, you learn.

As you say, Brohm could have an emotional moment and leave. Or there could be any number of other reasons why he might want to return to UL - family health, etc. Reasons that he or MBob may have never anticipated.

But in the case of Brohm eventually wanting the UL position, I maintain that if MBob did not discuss that with him, then he was not doing his job. That is an obvious topic of discussion when the prospective coach has such endearing ties to a community and to his alma mater. If both MBob and Brohm felt there was a long term commitment in place despite that - and then something unexpected happened that changed the equation - then I can accept that, as we all should.

But I would be shocked if that had not been discussed between them, in detail, beforehand.

JMHOAU

Last edited:
I did not hire them thinking they would leave! I hired them, and they accepted, knowing the risk involved. When they left, I lost a good resource, and they lost the appropriate benefits. But in each case, both of us knew the issues and risks up front. In each case, the reasons I lost the people that I did, were not related to the original reasons why they agreed to come to work with me. Life changes, and so do priorities. Oh well.

As you say, Brohm could have an emotional moment and leave. Or there could be any number of other reasons why he might want to return to UL - family health, etc. Reasons that he or MBob could never have anticipated in advance.

But in the case of Brohm eventually wanting the UL position, I maintain that if MBob did not discuss that with him, then he was not doing his job. That is an obvious topic of discussion when the prospective coach has such endearing ties to a community and his alma mater.
So maybe he did? What proof do you have that MB2 didn't? Sometimes people leave - in fact, oftentimes - for positions they value more than the one they have. And it isn't always money (but sometimes is) but is also all the other things we all value as humans.

I don't pretend to know what Brohm is thinking or what his intentions are but my gut says he stays. I know the pull to the Alma mater has to be tough but from listening to him on different shows last couple days you can hear it on his voice the fun he is having and his love of the fan base and community. He likes a challenge and thinks he can build a winner and I believe Bobinski and company have set him up to succeed with facilities, money, etc. It's not like old Purdue.
Besides, he's building legitimate recruiting momentum. Also, how could you convince a guy like Rondale Moore to come here then leave him after a year? It's not like a player of his caliber is going to sit a year to transfer to follow Brohm
Just my 2 cents. Boiler Up

Reactions: Bob Sienicki
So maybe he did? What proof do you have that MB2 didn't? Sometimes people leave - in fact, oftentimes - for positions they value more than the one they have. And it isn't always money (but sometimes is) but is also all the other things we all value as humans.

All of what you say is true. But when people have been in the business for years, especially with any modicum of success, they have generally outgrown impulsive decisions. Usually, experienced people will already know their life's goals and ambitions at that stage. And as opportunities arise that better meet those goals, then the decisions are more reasoned - and predictable. And it is very much MBob's responsibility to get to know and understand Brohm's goals and ambitions, before investing that kind of money.

Sure, life's unpredictability can change even the best laid plans. But by having the best laid plans, the risk of unpredictability is severely reduced. That is why - if you are a business owner - you need to understand risk and how to mitigate it. And in MBob's case, knowing your prospect before making the hire reduces the very risk we are concerned with now.

JMHOAU

All of what you say is true. But when people have been in the business for years, especially with any modicum of success, they have generally outgrown impulsive decisions. Usually, experienced people will already know their life's goals and ambitions at that stage. And as opportunities arise that better meet those goals, then the decisions are more reasoned - and predictable. And it is very much MBob's responsibility to get to know and understand Brohm's goals and ambitions, before investing that kind of money.

Sure, life's unpredictability can change even the best laid plans. But by having the best laid plans, the risk of unpredictability is severely reduced. That is why - if you are a business owner - you need to understand risk and how to mitigate it. And in MBob's case, knowing your prospect before making the hire reduces the very risk we are concerned with now.

JMHOAU
And I'm onboard with this.

Does anyone find it odd that Petrino himself hasn’t come out and said anything at this point in time? If a person has something brought forward against them, it’s been my experience that when the person says absolutely nothing at all, it usually means the accusations are so wildly inaccurate that they don’t warrant comment. Jmho

There will be a story that will come out before weeks end that will negate his contract and buyout. Money wont be an issue for our next coach. He is not being fired for his record but for something unethical. You will see....trust me

Since when does Louisville care about ethics? TRASH school. They only fired Pitino when they had no choice.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler

This is getting silly.

First you say that there's no way Brohm will leave for Louisville because resurrecting that program isn't enough of a challenge.

Now you're convinced Brohm is not going to Louisville because, surely, Bobinski would have asked him about Louisville during the interview process. You're right, situations never change. Coaches never go back on their words.

And here's another reason Brohm's not going to Louisville! Brohm's dad thought the Purdue job was a wise step up from WKU! And did I mention he drives an old car? More proof he's not going to Louisville. The more minor reasons you find for him staying, the more crazy you sound.

Look, I'm not particularly worried about losing Brohm. But the people that come up with all these absurd reasons for him to stay here are not logical. He's a Louisville guy. It's in his blood. The move doesn't need to make sense for anyone else, and I wouldn't fault him for going.

when hiring a run-of-the-mill sales manager, operations manager, project leader, no. But, 'dog, it's quite common for coaches to have a special "out" for specific opportunities. It's a contract, it's a business decision, and everything is negotiable.

I'm not saying there is (or was) any special conversation/consideration for the UL job, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Especially in that business.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
This is getting silly.

First you say that there's no way Brohm will leave for Louisville because resurrecting that program isn't enough of a challenge.

Now you're convinced Brohm is not going to Louisville because, surely, Bobinski would have asked him about Louisville during the interview process. You're right, situations never change. Coaches never go back on their words.

And here's another reason Brohm's not going to Louisville! Brohm's dad thought the Purdue job was a wise step up from WKU! And did I mention he drives an old car? More proof he's not going to Louisville. The more minor reasons you find for him staying, the more crazy you sound.

Look, I'm not particularly worried about losing Brohm. But the people that come up with all these absurd reasons for him to stay here are not logical. He's a Louisville guy. It's in his blood. The move doesn't need to make sense for anyone else, and I wouldn't fault him for going.

I had a different take.

I took it that Bob S was offering rational, reasonable explanations (firmly grounded in logic) as to why Brohm would stay, why the Purdue job is preferable, and why it's not time to go flying off the rails.

People need to chill.

The UL trolls are green with jealousy, they're desperate, and desperate people do desperate things.

The fate of Purdue football doesn't rest on one man's decision.

JMHOAU
My point is that MBob may very well have known that Brohm had at least some interest level in returning to Louisville at some point, and still thought it was worth the risk, given how great a coaching prospect he was.

If you want a great response on this topic, check out the Hammer Down Show from this morning if you can. Kyle Charters (former GBI reporter) spoke great on this topic

Troll stirs up a 3 page discussion of Purdue fans talking (in the middle of a 4-game winning streak and after a historic win) about the probability of their coach leaving.

Troll wins. :(

Why does everyone just assume people cannot WAIT to run back to where they grew up- then work as adults in the same place?

I personally know many people who wanted to 'write their own chapter'. Who's to say our coach is not this type of person? Purdue is still in the Midwest- close enough to visit his hometown- but far enough to create his OWN legacy. Personally- I grew up in West Lafayette (family worked at Purdue), went to Purdue, and I couldn't wait to start my career somewhere else. How do we know coach is not of similar mentality?

Reactions: Purdue85
I apologize if the has been debated, but here's a serious question. With the way Louisville fans, local media, etc are overreacting to one bad season toward the most winning coach in UL history, why would any sane coach want to go there? Two years ago, Petrino was a hero to UL fans. Now they're calling him every 4 letter word in the book. I get Brohm's the favorite son. But if they're turning on Petrino after one losing season, they've shown their true colors. UL is just a mess right now. And so Brohm would spend two years turning Purdue around and probably another 2-4 years turning Louisville around. Sounds like a great way to spend 5 or more years of your career...

Troll stirs up a 3 page discussion of Purdue fans talking (in the middle of a 4-game winning streak and after a historic win) about the probability of their coach leaving.

Troll wins. :(

I get where you're coming from on this, but this has been one of the most rational, level headed discussions on this board in years, maybe DECADES! These boards have become unreadable in recent years with the pissing contests between Boilers and fighting back and forth.

I welcome this thread and the discussions in it. The bottom line is it is all just people's opinion on a situation they have no control over and it's been good conversation. NO ONE knows what Brohm is going to do except Brohm.

Troll loses in my opinion...SUCK IT TROLL!

The Brohm family is not going anywhere...….

and for the record I was happy with Coach Hope and his passion for Purdue and I feel eventually he would have done well, but that's JMO.

and the Haze took years off my life and made me drink too much.

Boiler Up all and enjoy the ride.

The Brohm family is not going anywhere...….

and for the record I was happy with Coach Hope and his passion for Purdue and I feel eventually he would have done well, but that's JMO.

and the Haze took years off my life and made me drink too much.

Boiler Up all and enjoy the ride.
What makes you so confident about Brohm or is this just an opinion?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT