ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville fires Petrino

AD Mike Bobinski has about $51.5 million annually to show Brohm how committed he is to keeping him here. BTW, that's just a check that is cut to the B1G schools in 2018. With new TV rights and such coming forward, that number will increase.

Does UL have that type of money to play around with to not only pay Brohm but to support the program.

Honest question: Does going back to your school who has an AD that is flux and doesn't have the monetary situation to truly compete in their conference and division sound attractive vs. what Bobinski and Purdue can offer Brohm? A rational person clearly sees that answer is no. I wouldn't be surprised if Brohm were to take a hard look but if it was as difficult as he said to leave WKU, my guess it'll be even harder than that to leave Purdue.

Yeah, but put yourself in Brohm's situation - if you were coaching even at some place like Alabama and Purdue came calling, would you not come back 'home' to save your beloved alma mater? I know I likely would. What's the difference between $5M and $10M when Purdue is on the line? Money can only go so far in that situation.

I hope I'm not repeating myself too much, but I'll say it again. Whether this is true or not, whether he is here next season or not, Brohm is not likely to remain at Purdue long, and he never was. He was either going to fail and be fired after four seasons or he was going to live up to the hype and move on to bigger or better things (or his alma mater). I'm just going to to enjoy the ride while I can. If I'm wrong and he's still coaching here three years from now, I'll happily eat my words. :)

Reactions: Gemini95
Yeah, but put yourself in Brohm's situation - if you were coaching even at some place like Alabama and Purdue came calling, would you not come back 'home' to save your beloved alma mater? I know I likely would.

I hope I'm not repeating myself too much, but I'll say it again. Whether this is true or not, whether he is here next season or not, Brohm is not likely to remain at Purdue long, and he never was. He was either going to fail and be fired after four seasons or he was going to live up to the hype and move on to bigger or better things (or his alma mater). I'm just going to to enjoy the ride while I can. If I'm wrong and he's still coaching here three years from now, I'll happily eat my words. :)
Oh I agree that Brohm isn't going to be here 10 years but I believe he'll see out this current recruiting class for their junior year in 2022. At that stage and if success is continued, the pool to hire a successful replacement is much bigger and people will want to come to Purdue. The chances for error are much smaller now than they were when hiring Brohm. I have full trust in Bobinski to get it right whether it is this year or 2022.

Reactions: indyogb
I also love how an attempted trolling ends up turning in to a very rational and level headed discussion between Purdue fans!
LOL,
il_570xN.307544259.jpg

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Yeah, but put yourself in Brohm's situation - if you were coaching even at some place like Alabama and Purdue came calling, would you not come back 'home' to save your beloved alma mater? I know I likely would. What's the difference between $5M and $10M when Purdue is on the line? Money can only go so far in that situation.

1500 posts... 88 likes. With posts like this, I am shocked you got 88 likes out of those 1500 posts.

Brohm may leave but nothing is set. It will be tough with all of the love and support Boiler nation has shown. Tyler Trent formed an everlasting bond for Purdue. His son loves it at Purdue. That is before you take into account the players he has bonded with and the ‘19 class coming in. I guarantee you he told them he wasn’t leave and as a man of his word, I would be shocked if he leaves before 2023. By then his son will likely be a Boiler.

Another increase is coming (and rightfully so). Purdue will continue to show dedication to this program. The fan base has showed out incredibly for this program. There is literally zero reason to leave. It’s possible a big name tries to pull him away, but he is better served in the Midwest where he has had most of his recruiting success.

Those that say Brohm will leave because other coaches have don’t know much about Brohm. It was difficult to pull him away from WKU. At Purdue he has a real chance to accomplish all of his goals. He just got the best win in his coaching career with a fraction of the talent he will soon be bringing in. I am not saying he won’t leave, but again I put it under 5% chance and it would not be an easy decision. Far from it actually.

Oh I agree that Brohm isn't going to be here 10 years but I believe he'll see out this current recruiting class for their junior year in 2022. At that stage and if success is continued, the pool to hire a successful replacement is much bigger and people will want to come to Purdue. The chances for error are much smaller now than they were when hiring Brohm. I have full trust in Bobinski to get it right whether it is this year or 2022.
I get your argument. Hopefully you’re right. Assuming the Louisville rumors are true (and who knows about that), I would think it is sooner than Brohm would have liked, but if Louisville is his dream job it would be better to take it earlier than preferred than to risk missing out on the opportunity altogether.

I would agree, given Bobinski and Purdue’s “re-emphasis” on football, that Purdue should be more likely to find a good replacement than under the previous regime and strategy.

1500 posts... 88 likes. With posts like this, I am shocked you got 88 likes out of those 1500 posts.

Brohm may leave but nothing is set. It will be tough with all of the love and support Boiler nation has shown. Tyler Trent formed an everlasting bond for Purdue. His son loves it at Purdue. That is before you take into account the players he has bonded with and the ‘19 class coming in. I guarantee you he told them he wasn’t leave and as a man of his word, I would be shocked if he leaves before 2023. By then his son will likely be a Boiler.

Another increase is coming (and rightfully so). Purdue will continue to show dedication to this program. The fan base has showed out incredibly for this program. There is literally zero reason to leave. It’s possible a big name tries to pull him away, but he is better served in the Midwest where he has had most of his recruiting success.

Those that say Brohm will leave because other coaches have don’t know much about Brohm. It was difficult to pull him away from WKU. At Purdue he has a real chance to accomplish all of his goals. He just got the best win in his coaching career with a fraction of the talent he will soon be bringing in. I am not saying he won’t leave, but again I put it under 5% chance and it would not be an easy decision. Far from it actually.

I'm just a real popular guy. ;) (I don't post that often any more and my account is nearly 20 years old - I think the 2001 date is actually incorrect due to some site changes years back; for much of the time I have posted here, 'likes' didn't exist and later, I believe, the counter was reset as well - not that I 'lost' too many Internet points then, either :D)

I don't personally know Brohm, I'm just basing my opinion on how *I* would react. If I was coaching at Alabama, making millions of dollars, and building toward a national championship, I would still leave to coach Purdue if the opportunity arose. No 'reasonable' amount of money (by major college football standards) would likely sway me from my desire to win a championship at my alma mater.

Reactions: PurduePeteBsie87
Louisville football program when Petrino showed up in 2003:
389-401-17 all time record and middling in Conference USA.

Petrino record: 75-27, competing in Big East and ACC.

Welcomed him back with open arms, knowing he was a scumbag in 2014. Now their suddenly entitled fans want him gone halfway through one bad season.

Remember when people said Tiller brought unreasonable expectations to Purdue fans?!!!
That was nothing compared to this.

This is spot on my friend

I'm just a real popular guy. ;) (I don't post that often any more and my account is nearly 20 years old - I think the 2001 date is actually incorrect due to some site changes years back; for much of the time I have posted here, 'likes' didn't exist and later, I believe, the counter was reset as well - not that I 'lost' too many Internet points then, either :D)

I don't personally know Brohm, I'm just basing my opinion on how *I* would react. If I was coaching at Alabama, making millions of dollars, and building toward a national championship, I would still leave to coach Purdue if the opportunity arose. No 'reasonable' amount of money (by major college football standards) would likely sway me from my desire to win a championship at my alma mater.
meh...Louisville is a dumpster fire. Purdue is not.

A few thoughts here (long)...

When Brohm was hired, I have never believed he would leave until he reached his goal of re-establishing the program. He is not wired that way. Some additional thoughts...
  1. By continuing to drive a 2004 clunker, it tells me that he is not into $$$ and status. I believe he has always wanted to be compensated fairly, and if MB continues to pay him not only for his achievements, but for his future potential, I don't think money will factor much into his decisions. After all, he is already a multi-millionaire, and will be for his entire career.

2. Brohm has always been about challenges. He is the very definition of "iconoclast." If he was merely seeking status and inheriting a top program, he would have waited at WKU until a better job came up. There was no need for him to leave, especially for what appeared at the time to be a total dead-end job. And ADs all over the country already knew about him - so there was no hurry. That he took the Purdue job, especially when so many people warned him it would ruin his career, clearly indicates he loves challenges and proving people wrong. And he is not going to suddenly change his entire persona overnight.

He may very well eventually leave, but not until he turns this program around, and not until a bigger challenge - such as resurrecting an NFL team appears over the horizon. Sorry to say for UL fans, but with the talent on that team, "turning around" their program is not much of a challenge. And certainly not enough to entice someone with Brohm's makeup.

3. This is a sincere man who is about relationships. I seriously doubt he would abandon his overachieving team, his growing loyal and grateful fan base, his best recruiting class - and even Tyler Trent - just for the sake of going back to the current dumpster fire that is his alma mater.

If Brohm were to abandon all of what he has started at Purdue, what would that say to his future recruits when rumors would inevitably arise about him moving to the NFL? Brohm is not so callous and blindly ambitious that he would sell out everything he has started at Purdue. As much as he preaches to the team about finishing, I think Brohm has that trait embedded deep in his DNA - much more so than an allegiance to any alma mater.

4. Brohm, like most coaches, is keenly interested in how much of a financial commitment the school is willing to make towards the program and facilities. Obviously, Purdue has already convinced him that the commitment is there. And considering that each B1G school looks to get a 2018 payout of as much as $51 million from the Big Ten Network, and the fact that UL and every other ACC school, will be on the hook for another $10 million in 2018 startup costs for the ACC Network, with projected first year (2019) revenues to only be in the $10-15 million per school, I think Brohm can do the math.

Would he actually give up that much in program resources (-$61-66 million) - and greatly increased staff salaries - just to make a sideways move??? Really???

Keep in mind that in addition to UL having to pay out $10 million in ACC Network startup costs, they would have to spend over $14 million to buy out Petrino's contract, another $4 million to buy out Brohm's contract, then offer him a substantial raise over what will likely be a top dollar counter from Purdue (not including staff raises.) For those of you at home keeping score, that is north of $28 million UL will have to cough up - before talking salary for Brohm and his staff. Ouch!

5. Despite all the warnings, Brohm saw the potential of Purdue in the B1G West. Unlike the B1G East, where traditional powers OSU, UM, Penn State continually dominate the weaker schools, the B1G West has only had one school recently - UW - dominate the others. With Iowa up and down, Nebraska in a rebuilding phase, and Northwestern still not an established power, Brohm saw his opportunity, especially with a school that had established brands ("Cradle of Quarterbacks", "Den of Defensive Ends") and well known alumni (Drew Brees.)

I think Brohm has a much better chance of getting to perennial B1G championship games in the near future competing against a weakening UW and a suspect Iowa & NW, than he would in getting through Clemson each year to reach the ACC championship.

Offhand, I would say that the B1G (with the SEC) is one of the two premier football conferences right now. OTOH, the ACC has Clemson and not much else besides a few other schools with prominent pasts (FSU, Miami, Va Tech.) If Brohm wants a challenge - going up against OSU, UM, or PSU in the B1G championship to get to an almost certain spot in the College Football National Championship Playoffs - his path is a lot more feasible in the B1G West than in the ACC Atlantic division.

6. Finally, keep in mind that while much ado is made about coaches returning to coach their alma mater, only 11 out of 130 FBS schools are being coached by an alumnus. Brohm may eventually leave, but my money is only after he has taken Purdue to the B1G championship and only when he gets the right NFL offer - no sooner.
All the rest is noise, if you ask me.

JMHOAU

When Brohm was hired, I have never believed he would leave until he reached his goal of re-establishing the program. He is not wired that way. Some additional thoughts...
  1. By continuing to drive a 2004 clunker, it tells me that he is not into $$$ and status. I believe he has always wanted to be compensated fairly, and if MB continues to pay him not only for his achievements, but for his future potential, I don't think money will factor much into his decisions. After all, he is already a multi-millionaire, and will be for his entire career.

2. Brohm has always been about challenges. He is the very definition of "iconoclast." If he was merely seeking status and inheriting a top program, he would have waited at WKU until a better job came up. There was no need for him to leave, especially for what appeared at the time to be a total dead-end job. And ADs all over the country already knew about him - so there was no hurry. That he took the Purdue job, especially when so many people warned him it would ruin his career, clearly indicates he loves challenges and proving people wrong. And he is not going to suddenly change his entire persona overnight.

He may very well eventually leave, but not until he turns this program around, and not until a bigger challenge - such as resurrecting an NFL team appears over the horizon. Sorry to say for UL fans, but with the talent on that team, "turning around" their program is not much of a challenge. And certainly not enough to entice someone with Brohm's makeup.

3. This is a sincere man who is about relationships. I seriously doubt he would abandon his overachieving team, his growing loyal and grateful fan base, his best recruiting class - and even Tyler Trent - just for the sake of going back to the current dumpster fire that is his alma mater.

If Brohm were to abandon all of what he has started at Purdue, what would that say to his future recruits when rumors would inevitably arise about him moving to the NFL? Brohm is not so callous and blindly ambitious that he would sell out everything he has started at Purdue. As much as he preaches to the team about finishing, I think Brohm has that trait embedded deep in his DNA - much more so than an allegiance to any alma mater.

4. Brohm, like most coaches, is keenly interested in how much of a financial commitment the school is willing to make towards the program and facilities. Obviously, Purdue has already convinced him that the commitment is there. And considering that each B1G school looks to get a 2018 payout of as much as $51 million from the Big Ten Network, and the fact that UL and every other ACC school, will be on the hook for another $10 million in 2018 startup costs for the ACC Network, with projected first year (2019) revenues to only be in the $10-15 million per school, I think Brohm can do the math.

Would he actually give up that much in program resources (-$61-66 million) - and greatly increased staff salaries - just to make a sideways move??? Really???

Keep in mind that in addition to UL having to pay out $10 million in ACC Network startup costs, they would have to spend over $14 million to buy out Petrino's contract, another $4 million to buy out Brohm's contract, then offer him a substantial raise over what will likely be a top dollar counter from Purdue (not including staff raises.) For those of you at home keeping score, that is north of $28 million UL will have to cough up - before talking salary for Brohm and his staff. Ouch!

5. Despite all the warnings, Brohm saw the potential of Purdue in the B1G West. Unlike the B1G East, where traditional powers OSU, UM, Penn State continually dominate the weaker schools, the B1G West has only had one school recently - UW - dominate the others. With Iowa up and down, Nebraska in a rebuilding phase, and Northwestern still not an established power, Brohm saw his opportunity, especially with a school that had established brands ("Cradle of Quarterbacks", "Den of Defensive Ends") and well known alumni (Drew Brees.)

I think Brohm has a much better chance of getting to perennial B1G championship games in the near future competing against a weakening UW and a suspect Iowa & NW, than he would in getting through Clemson each year to reach the ACC championship.

Offhand, I would say that the B1G (with the SEC) is one of the two premier football conferences right now. OTOH, the ACC has Clemson and not much else besides a few other schools with prominent pasts (FSU, Miami, Va Tech.) If Brohm wants a challenge - going up against OSU, UM, or PSU in the B1G championship to get to an almost certain spot in the College Football National Championship Playoffs - his path is a lot more feasible in the B1G West than in the ACC Atlantic division.

6. Finally, keep in mind that while much ado is made about coaches returning to coach their alma mater, only 11 out of 130 FBS schools are being coached by an alumnus. Brohm may eventually leave, but my money is only after he has taken Purdue to the B1G championship and only when he gets the right NFL offer - no sooner.

JMHOAU

Noise aside! Well said!!!

People said same about Keady. Sometimes you have no idea how much you like a job and /or place until you start . Seems Brohm really likes Purdue and Purdue really likes him.

Well said Bob.

When you used initials for Mike Bobinski, that got me thinking as an aside...

We replaced Morgan Burke with Mike Bobinski.
We replaced Danny Hope with Darrell Hazell.

So what up and coming coaches are out there with MP as their initials in 15 years when Painter hangs em up?

Well said Bob.

When you used initials for Mike Bobinski, that got me thinking as an aside...

We replaced Morgan Burke with Mike Bobinski.
We replaced Danny Hope with Darrell Hazell.

So what up and coming coaches are out there with MP as their initials in 15 years when Painter hangs em up?
Matt Patricia. Hahaha

Still not confirmed from what I can tell. But lots of people talking about a scandal involving a woman planning to drop a "bombshell."

If Louisville is a complete dumpster fire, it doesn't seem like a good situation for a rising star coach.

Edit: Actually there is a press conference at noon:

That's convenient for Louisville if true. If he's fired with cause that will save them millions in a buyout.

Sorry to say for UL fans, but with the talent on that team, "turning around" their program is not much of a challenge. And certainly not enough to entice someone with Brohm's makeup.

Wait, so you think he won't go to Louisville because they're TOO talented? Seems you reach the same conclusion for the exact opposite reason as a lot of other people on here. When stuff like that happens, it tells me that people aren't really using logic... they're just wanting something to be true so badly that anything can be a reason to support their beliefs.

I don't think we're in danger of losing him to any school.... except Louisville. With the kind of history his family has with that school, you have to throw logic and rationality out the window. I know nothing could keep me from a chance to bring prominence back to my alma mater.

As you said, he doesn't seems like the type where money is the biggest motivator. That worries me in this case, where Louisville likely will not be able to pay what Purdue can.

Wait, so you think he won't go to Louisville because they're TOO talented? Seems you reach the same conclusion for the exact opposite reason as a lot of other people on here. When stuff like that happens, it tells me that people aren't really using logic... they're just wanting something to be true so badly that anything can be a reason to support their beliefs.

I don't think we're in danger of losing him to any school.... except Louisville. With the kind of history his family has with that school, you have to throw logic and rationality out the window. I know nothing could keep me from a chance to bring prominence back to my alma mater.

As you said, he doesn't seems like the type where money is the biggest motivator. That worries me in this case, where Louisville likely will not be able to pay what Purdue can.

As much as Brohm is a Louisville Cardinal, he is also a Boilermaker. He was a cardinal, but he is currently a Boiler. That means something. Just listen to him talk about this school, team, fan base.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I worry more about NFL executives.

Indeed. However, I think Brohm to the NFL is a little too premature for the next few years. They remember Greg Schiano. It wasn't until he went to 6 bowls and showed a sustained ability to elevate the doormat Rutgers program that he got his first shot in the NFL.

Then failed miserably.

NFL execs are indeed following Brohm, but will more than likely steal from his offensive ideas while he builds a longer resume before they shell out the big bucks.

JMHOAU

Louisville football program when Petrino showed up in 2003:
389-401-17 all time record and middling in Conference USA.

Petrino record: 75-27, competing in Big East and ACC.

Welcomed him back with open arms, knowing he was a scumbag in 2014. Now their suddenly entitled fans want him gone halfway through one bad season.

Remember when people said Tiller brought unreasonable expectations to Purdue fans?!!!
That was nothing compared to this.

Louisville is just four years removed from being a mid-major. They were in the Big East until 2014. The only reason they are in a P5 conference is that Maryland left the ACC to go to the Big-10 and the ACC was desperate to find a replacement in a hurry and they made a bad decision.

I don't think there is much of a chance he leaves now. Depending on what level he takes the program, will determine the likelihood he ever leaves. If he is magical and creates a dynasty he's locked in here. If he recreates a Michigan or Penn St, he'll be a God here and will stay. If he is Tiller good, he'll go at some point. However, the leadership in this current athletic program, he'll find the next very good coach anyway. We are in a good place right now. I'm not worried.

Reactions: ejs1111

Dude just stop.. this is more 2003 post Iowa “well, don’t get used to this, we are rarely this good.” Almost anywhere else and everyone is rabbid, “Brohm is staying here.” Here you have posters who want to seek truth and enlightenment above all else.

It’s almost like he’s not a Purdue fan...

Reactions: ejs1111 and mathboy

JMHOAU

I thought this was very well written. I don’t think he leaves, but say he does?

We have five million annually to see who wants to come to our facilities and coach Rondale Moore

[QUOTE="

Louisville would be better served making a run at a young OC like Tee Martin (USC), Brian Daboll (Bama), or making a run at FAU head coach Lane Kiffin. Also, in the ACC and being in the same division as FSU, Clemson, Syracuse, and NC State, they may want to go the way of a HC with a defensive background like Dave Aranda (LSU).

[/QUOTE]

Tee Martin? SC fans are calling for his head along with Helton. And Lane Kiffin? He's radioactive.

Absent from your list is Jim Leonhard, DC at Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
[QUOTE="

Louisville would be better served making a run at a young OC like Tee Martin (USC), Brian Daboll (Bama), or making a run at FAU head coach Lane Kiffin. Also, in the ACC and being in the same division as FSU, Clemson, Syracuse, and NC State, they may want to go the way of a HC with a defensive background like Dave Aranda (LSU).

Tee Martin? SC fans are calling for his head along with Helton.

Absent from your list is Jim Leonhard, DC at Wisconsin.[/QUOTE]
Very good point. Still think Tee Martin is a good coach who deserves a job as a HC some where

It’s almost like he’s not a Purdue fan...

Is your fanaticism for Purdue such that you can't accept that a guy that was graduated from Louisville might prize that job more than any other (just as you or I might value Purdue over others)?

It all appears moot for the moment, anyway, as the rumors are pretty unsubstantiated thus far.

Please, enjoy the success now and in the near future, as I plan to (and if Brohm is, indeed, here for the long haul, all the better). Having been a Purdue fan for more than two decades, I can tell you, success can be fleeting sometimes.

Is your fanaticism for Purdue such that you can't accept that a guy that was graduated from Louisville might prize that job more than any other (just as you or I might value Purdue over others)?

It all appears moot for the moment, anyway, as the rumors are pretty unsubstantiated thus far.

Please, enjoy the success now and in the near future, as I plan to (and if Brohm is, indeed, here for the long haul, all the better). Having been a Purdue fan for more than two decades, I can tell you, success can be fleeting sometimes.

Wonder when Saban will return to Kent State?

When does Urban Meyer return to Cincinnati?

When does Dantonio head hom to South Carolina?

Wonder when Saban will return to Kent State?

When does Urban Meyer return to Cincinnati?

When does Dantonio head hom to South Carolina?
None of those guys are so visibly associated with their school. If I didn’t constantly see references to the Brohm family and their tight connection to the city and their school, I’d feel differently. But the Brohms are very much considered the royal football family in town. Does this mean anything to Jeff? Who knows. You don’t know and neither do I. But the Louisville job opening up would concern me because I still think that’s the one job he might take for his heart and no dollar amount could change it. But I hope I’m wrong but you could be too.

But I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility Jeff’s dream is to return to Louisville some day and take that program back to where it belongs.

And if he does, there’s nothing we can do about it.

None of those guys are so visibly associated with their school. If I didn’t constantly see references to the Brohm family and their tight connection to the city and their school, I’d feel differently. But the Brohms are very much considered the royal football family in town. Does this mean anything to Jeff? Who knows. You don’t know and neither do I. But the Louisville job opening up would concern me because I still think that’s the one job he might take for his heart and no dollar amount could change it. But I hope I’m wrong but you could be too.

But I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility Jeff’s dream is to return to Louisville some day and take that program back to where it belongs.

And if he does, there’s nothing we can do about it.

I think it’s over played. But if Louisville coach is what he has as a career goal, then I want another coach anyways.

So you only want a coach who’s goal is to retire at Purdue? Not me. I want someone who’s so great eventually a Brinks truck from Jerry Jones shows up in his driveway.
That’s my point. Louisville is no way a step up from Purdue. If his goal in life was to end up at Louisville, then he isnt the guy. I appreciate what he has done and believe in MBob.

That’s my point. Louisville is no way a step up from Purdue.
And my point is it doesn’t matter what you think. Or me. Just the one guy who may be willing to say no to anyone other than that one school his entire family attended. I can’t fault a guy for that if that’s what it comes down to. But I seriously hope he doesn’t.

And my point is it doesn’t matter what you think. Or me. Just the one guy who may be willing to say no to anyone other than that one school his entire family attended. I can’t fault a guy for that if that’s what it comes down to. But I seriously hope he doesn’t.
Well shit let’s close down all message boards then. What’s the point of having an opinion.

Well shit let’s close down all message boards then. What’s the point of having an opinion.
I never said I don’t respect your opinion. I do. I’m sure you respect mine. I just think we are projecting our opinion of Louisville on someone who has almost assuredly a totally different attachment to that school. Maybe it’s overplayed. Maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT