ADVERTISEMENT

Lawrence Central's Jake LaRavia

Feb 25, 2010
Excerpts from IndyStar regarding Jake LaRavia: Sorry did not see other post on here. But here is what story stated without a link.
INDIANAPOLIS — Jake LaRavia and Jalen Windham, two of the state’s best shot-makers, are suddenly back on the market after coaching changes at the college programs they had originally signed letters of intent.

Both were headed out of state. LaRavia, the 6-8 Lawrence Central standout, had signed with Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. “The first time going through (recruiting) was really exciting, but this time I feel like I know everything about it and know what I’m doing,” LaRavia said. “I can just chill and enjoy the process of the next couple weeks.”

LaRavia, who averaged 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game, was offered a scholarship by Indiana State almost immediately after his release and plans to make an official visit to Terre Haute (likely the weekend of April 12-14). “They are really interested in me,” LaRavia said Sunday at the Top 60 Senior Workout at Marian University. “They already came down and talked to me – the whole coaching staff did the very next day. I know how much they want me and I know it’s a good program for me to go play at.”

Indiana State will have competition for LaRavia. Purdue has been busy with an NCAA tournament run that ended with a loss to Virginia on Saturday in the Elite Eight, but Boilermakers’ assistant coach Brandon Brantley has reached out to LaRavia. “They told me coach (Matt) Painter would give me a call in the days after the tournament,” he said. “For me, I think that would be a great spot.” LaRavia said he sees some similarities in his game to that of Ryan Cline, the senior former Carmel star who carried Purdue with a career-high 27-point effort in a Sweet Sixteen win over Tennessee on Thursday. “We play the same position, kind of the same height, but he’s a senior,” LaRavia said. “I know they have other players, but I could see being a good spot. I’ve been watching them a lot in the NCAA tournament and think I could fit in with their style of play. Once they reach out, then we’ll see what happens.”

Missouri, coached by former Purdue assistant Cuonzo Martin, has also been in contact. LaRavia, who will not turn 18 until November, has also heard from prep schools. He shot 42.6 percent from the 3-point line (46-for-108) as a senior. “If some of the schools don’t work out, prep school could be an option for me,” he said. “Because of my young age.”

Last edited:
CMP likes players with outside shot....nearly 43% on 3s is good. I am sure CMP will at least check into him, if he already hasn't....

Posted this reply in the other thread about him, but I’ll copy it here.

I've seen LaRavia many times over the past couple years. He is a very solid shooter, and more mobile that most think. But, he's a stretch four man and not a guard (as he compared himself to Cline). His stock also took off last April as he sprouted up and started dominating.

I can see him coming in as a walk-on and earning his spot, but I don't think that he is as good as anyone that we have in those 3/4 spots already besides Boudreaux. He would be a very good MM player, but not someone that is going to come into Purdue and contribute right away. If I remember correctly, he's also very young which opens up a redshirt possibility.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue

I've seen LaRavia many times over the past couple years. He is a very solid shooter, and more mobile that most think. But, he's a stretch four man and not a guard (as he compared himself to Cline). His stock also took off last April as he sprouted up and started dominating.

I can see him coming in as a walk-on and earning his spot, but I don't think that he is as good as anyone that we have in those 3/4 spots already besides Boudreaux. He would be a very good MM player, but not someone that is going to come into Purdue and contribute right away. If I remember correctly, he's also very young which opens up a redshirt possibility.

Or prep school since he isnt 18 till Nov.

So the kid grew. What else changed to take him from a commit at a low mid-major to a P5 recruit? SIUE sucks.

Like his size and considering his age, there seems to quite a bit to work with. As far as I am concerned cannot have too many 6’8” guys that can run and shoot.
He doesn’t look 6’-8” in the video to me, but maybe he has grown since then.

Now why aren't we going after Jalen Windham? I thought he was a very good shooter.

Has some upside to his game, elite frame. Can't take the ball off the dribble consistently to the rim.

So the kid grew. What else changed to take him from a commit at a low mid-major to a P5 recruit? SIUE sucks.

I think MM fits his game well. He might end up like a more skilled Boudreaux, but a position down. Not big enough to guard the 4, not athletic enough to guard the 3. More skilled in my eyes though.

Has some upside to his game, elite frame. Can't take the ball off the dribble consistently to the rim.

Is he the next Dylan Windler? Is that the upside ? Seems like there is always an under the radar guy who just blows up once they get to college

Ooooh, yeah. I like that comp. My question at the HM level is: Who can he guard? Looking at Purdue's roster construction as an example; Not quick enough to guard Wheeler, Haarms is probably just a bit too tall, athletically he can handle Boudreaux.

Like I said, upside is there but would love to see him redshirt if he does come to Purdue. I would love to have him on a preferred walk-on with the opportunity to scholly like Eifert. I think that there is definitely interest on both sides there.

I have LaRavia ranked as my 5th PF in the state.

LaRavia has committed to Indiana State. Great get for them as I mention above. Just wasn't a P5 player.

Hopefully Painter has something better in-store and he does not become the next Desmond Bane (or if he does he considers a transfer)
Totally agree. I always root for the kid, and love him and his dad. So I do hope that he plays well and becomes a Desmond Bane and kills it.

I'll admit, and I've admitted it before, I totally whiffed on Bane too.

Totally agree. I always root for the kid, and love him and his dad. So I do hope that he plays well and becomes a Desmond Bane and kills it.

I'll admit, and I've admitted it before, I totally whiffed on Bane too.
Hard to say you whiffed on Bane when you picked the consensus All American instead.

A kid at 6' 4" with good handles and a good shot is pretty common and plays a 2 or maybe 3 ... the same kid at 6' 8" with good handles and a good shot ... a rare and wondrous stretch 4 or hella 3

Last edited:
Looks to play small for his height (6' 4" during the video, I take it). I think he looks like he would fit pretty well though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT