ADVERTISEMENT

Last crack at Dickinson?

What did I say that wasn’t honest? We have never made it to the elite eight with a slow big have we? You are the one saying if we would have had Haas we would have won. You are talking opinion. I’m not saying Hass was bad, there is just a ceiling when you go up against elite teams because their lack of speed is exposed.
OK. But when you say Purdue lost in the Sweet 16 with Haas playing center, that is not a fact and it is not an opinion. Haas did not play in the Sweet 16 game. Haarms started at center in that game -- the same Haarms that started in the Elite 8 game the following year. Those are facts. Maybe you made a mistake when you posted what you did, but you said it was a FACT and when your error was pointed out to you, you doubled down and called it your opinion. That is dishonest. You can't honestly claim that in your opinion something happened when the facts show that it did not.

As far as opinions go, I'm excited about Dickinson because it's my opinion that Dickinson is more like John Teske than he is Isaac Haas. Teske led Michigan to the NC game.

OK. But when you say Purdue lost in the Sweet 16 with Haas playing center, that is not a fact and it is not an opinion. Haas did not play in the Sweet 16 game. Haarms started at center in that game -- the same Haarms that started in the Elite 8 game the following year. Those are facts. Maybe you made a mistake when you posted what you did, but you said it was a FACT and when your error was pointed out to you, you doubled down and called it your opinion. That is dishonest. You can't honestly claim that in your opinion something happened when the facts show that it did not.

As far as opinions go, I'm excited about Dickinson because it's my opinion that Dickinson is more like John Teske than he is Isaac Haas. Teske led Michigan to the NC game.
Teske, the latter part of his freshman year is a better comparison in my opinion

Also, there just isn't a lot of data points. In Isaacs first 2 years, Hammons was used more (Isaac average 14 minutes those 2 years). AJ was arguably an athletic mobile center, certainly an exceptional shot blocker. Isaac got more minutes his Jr year which is the one data point: S16. His Sr year he was hurt and didnt play, using Haarms.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Also, there just isn't a lot of data points. In Isaacs first 2 years, Hammons was used more (Isaac average 14 minutes those 2 years). AJ was arguably an athletic mobile center, certainly an exceptional shot blocker. Isaac got more minutes his Jr year which is the one data point: S16. His Sr year he was hurt and didnt play, using Haarms.
AJ had great timing and was an exceptional shot blocker. Course those people end up giving put backs due to them helping out since that is where most blocks without fouls take place. What I never saw AJ or Haas be able to do that Dickinson does is be able to put the ball on the court as far out as Dickinson did in a video. AJ, developed a nice stroke on the 3 ball when he shot it, but can't recall him being able to get deep by dribbling the ball like maybe a Matt Haarms can...not that he will be dribbling much if he commits to Purdue, but does show a skill that could help at times

AJ had great timing and was an exceptional shot blocker. Course those people end up giving put backs due to them helping out since that is where most blocks without fouls take place. What I never saw AJ or Haas be able to do that Dickinson does is be able to put the ball on the court as far out as Dickinson did in a video. AJ, developed a nice stroke on the 3 ball when he shot it, but can't recall him being able to get deep by dribbling the ball like maybe a Matt Haarms can...not that he will be dribbling much if he commits to Purdue, but does show a skill that could help at times

Plus, A.J. Hammons was a "shoe-in" for having another often unrecognized skill.

I agree. We have one E8 data point. In another thread, it's implied that Haarms is too big and immobile. Others think he is the athletic big we need. I'll add that the most athletic big in the Matt Painter era was JaJuan Johnson. He played 4 years and didn't get to the E8. Jacquil Taylor backed up Haarms in that S16 game against TT and he was probably the 2nd most athletic center. We all know their history at Purdue and the history of the teams they played on. That's why it isn't fair to single out a position and player and claim that it's the reason Purdue doesn't have more success. It's just not that simple.

I agree. We have one E8 data point. In another thread, it's implied that Haarms is too big and immobile. Others think he is the athletic big we need. I'll add that the most athletic big in the Matt Painter era was JaJuan Johnson. He played 4 years and didn't get to the E8. Jacquil Taylor backed up Haarms in that S16 game against TT and he was probably the 2nd most athletic center. We all know their history at Purdue and the history of the teams they played on. That's why it isn't fair to single out a position and player and claim that it's the reason Purdue doesn't have more success. It's just not that simple.
Same goes with guards. Got to get into position for a last second shot to be important

This.

Dickinson is a highly-rated prospect. Let's go get him.

My lone opinion is that I'd rather sign Dickinson than bank the scholarship and wait for another year. there are no guarantees that we will be able to sign Furst or Chet or anyone else in 2021 that is better than Dickinson. And just like Kalk and Kesler and Carlson, if a guy is good, those other schools like UK, MSU and Duke will also be competing for their services.

To me, like any sport, if you are close to achieving something, you go all in. You don't wait until next year hoping it will be better. Go Brewers in 2019! Don't be a Cubs fan and say wait until next year.

I hope we don’t get stuck with Dickinson. Kalkbrenner is going to be miles better. Dickinson will be too slow to defend or rebound effectively. Kalk will be able to do everything.
This is a horrible take. HD is much more skilled as a scorer, rebounder, and jumpshooter overall than Kalkbrenner is. That’s a fact. I would be happy with either, but there’s reason HD is in the Top 40 and Kalkbrenner is in the Top 100. HINT: HD is a better player overall.

What did I say that wasn’t honest? We have never made it to the elite eight with a slow big have we? You are the one saying if we would have had Haas we would have won. You are talking opinion. I’m not saying Hass was bad, there is just a ceiling when you go up against elite teams because their lack of speed is exposed.

Your logic is specious. We have never made it to the Elite Eight with a slow big center that has owned a cellular telephone. However, I would not try to claim that those two variables are positively correlated and/or causal.

It is a fact that Haas was a major factor is Purdue's offense two years ago. His injury did not allow him to play in the S16 game. It is considered accurate to say that the loss of a major player and advancing deep in the NCAA are negatively correlated - and likely causal.

Last edited:
Neither, Purdue can’t play the defense they want with a slow big man. Look at how difficult Michigan was when we had Haas. The game today needs a quick athletic big, not a lumbering big. They can’t guard pick and roll and clog up the lane on offense.
I agree with the logic of a more athletic big for defensive purposes.
But, is Dickinson all that slow? He seems to cover ground pretty well on film. Not as agile as Kalk but not as slow as Haas. More like Hammons.

I agree with the logic of a more athletic big for defensive purposes.
But, is Dickinson all that slow? He seems to cover ground pretty well on film. Not as agile as Kalk but not as slow as Haas. More like Hammons.
Nice. Someone else mentioned Hammons. I like the sound of IUhaterade's comparison with Brad Miller. I compared Dickinson with Jon Teske at UM. If the most negative comparison this board can come up with is Isaac Haas, it would be insane not to make this guy a Boilermaker.

Comparing Dickenson to haas is like apples to oranges. Hunter is way more mobile and takented

I'll admit we got blown away by Kansas a couple of years ago. And most people said it was because we were slow and not athletic. however did Kansas win a championship that year? and in remembering that game, it was not just one player who was at fault. it was a total team collapse and loss.

To make it to the final four, it's all about match-ups, controlling the tempo, playing fundamental no-mistake basketball, clutch shooting, and making your free throws.

I've watched some very athletic teams win a championship and also get bounced in the first and second round.

Reactions: pboiler18
a question about Dickinson. Would he be a player to build your offense around ? like Swanigan? or would he be a complementary piece to support our perimeter players like Haas ?

I'll admit we got blown away by Kansas a couple of years ago. And most people said it was because we were slow and not athletic. however did Kansas win a championship that year? and in remembering that game, it was not just one player who was at fault. it was a total team collapse and loss.

That game, from about the 10 minute mark in the first half to the 10 minute mark in the 2nd half, was some of the best basketball I've ever seen by a team. Hard to use that as an example of anything. As you note, they didn't win the title, losing their next game to Oregon I believe.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
So...…….what's the word on the street? Is PU gonna get'em?

……...or will we know more tomorrow?

a question about Dickinson. Would he be a player to build your offense around ? like Swanigan? or would he be a complementary piece to support our perimeter players like Haas ?
CMP has built a system based on anyone being able to take over. Compliments his recruiting and coaching style.

CMP has built a system based on anyone being able to take over. Compliments his recruiting and coaching style.

the last few years with Biggie and Carsen kind of contradict that motion offense style. There were several games that Biggie remained in the game just to get his double/double. I also have to believe last year's offense was sort of centered around setting up Carsen taking shots. Those two years seemed more like star centered years than sharing the ball.

the last few years with Biggie and Carsen kind of contradict that motion offense style. There were several games that Biggie remained in the game just to get his double/double. I also have to believe last year's offense was sort of centered around setting up Carsen taking shots. Those two years seemed more like star centered years than sharing the ball.

you really think Painter does that?

really?

I’m not trolling. With those kinds of big men we made it to the Sweet Sixteen and got blown out. Our best teams (Hummel junior year and last years) did not have the big slow guy and they were our only teams who had the potential to get on the final four. Teams with big slow guys got blown out in the Sweet Sixteen.
Highly inaccurate analysis. First, Haas was not available for the game we lost, so his contribution to the loss was negligible. Second, Haas was not a “ big slow guy”. He was quick on his feet and could run the floor reasonably well. Not the first man down, but not the last either. He had a remarkable scoring to attempt ratio that was the envey of most of our opponents.

Haas was a nightmare mismatch for almost every team we played. I would take him and his size 26 feet anytime. He forced an enormous amount of game planning focused on him. Many thought we were a FF team his senior year, and might have been without the injury to his elbow.

Last edited:

I think he is probably your #1 option during his Sophomore season.

Reactions: northside100
If you had a chance to watch Carsen play in the NBA summer league games, you might have a different take. Unless you also believe that Brad Stevens' staff is giving their 2nd round draft pick the star-centered treatment.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Highly inaccurate analysis. First, Haas was not available for the game we lost, so his contribution to the loss was negligible. Second, Haas was not a “ big slow guy”. He was quick on his feet and could run the floor reasonably well. Not the first man down, but not the last either. He had a remarkable scoring to attempt ratio that was the envey of most of our opponents.

Haas was a nightmare mismatch for almost every team we played. I would take him and his size 26 feet anytime. He forced an enormous amount of game planning focused on him. Many thought we were a FF team his senior year, and might have been without the injury to his elbow.
My point is that we have NEVER made it to the elite 8 with a big slow guy. Haas was big and lumbering. You could say he was nimble for his size, but that still makes him below average athletically compared to other big men.

My point is that we have NEVER made it to the elite 8 with a big slow guy. Haas was big and lumbering. You could say he was nimble for his size, but that still makes him below average athletically compared to other big men.
You are still making this dishonest (and silly) argument?! We did not lose in the S16 with Haas. That is a fact that you continue to deny. We lost in the S16 with the same center that played in the E8 the following year.

Please go back and read arcb102000's post. You may learn why your stand is so illogical and silly.

You are still making this dishonest (and silly) argument?! We did not lose in the S16 with Haas. That is a fact that you continue to deny. We lost in the S16 with the same center that played in the E8 the following year.

Please go back and read arcb102000's post. You may learn why your stand is so illogical and silly.
Please cite the year that we made it to the elite 8 with a big slow center. Take your time. I’ll wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT