ADVERTISEMENT

Last crack at Dickinson?

interesting news. Didn't Dickinson already give Purdue an unofficial visit ? I really like the potential of being his last official visit.
Believe he had an official last year when the rules changed and has taken multiple unofficial visits.

Think this bodes well for us.

Reactions: Purdue85 and TX4GB
Believe he had an official last year when the rules changed and has taken multiple unofficial visits.

Think this bodes well for us.
Yeah, Purdue was his first official visit that he could take his Jr year with the new rules. He had said he wasn’t going to take a second official visit to the schools that he had already, so it would seem to bode well for Purdue’s chances with him.

Strange - guess Jake took down the tweet.

Sorry it was up for a minute

No worries. Interesting. When I tried to Google it this morning I found what looked like a Louisville site stating he had visited FSU and he was headed to Purdue next weekend but couldn’t find any source info.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No worries. Interesting. When I tried to Google it this morning I found what looked like a Louisville site stating he had visited FSU and he was headed to Purdue next weekend but couldn’t find any source info.
That’s the same one. Jake Weingarten who is a Rivals writer for Lousiville. He breaks a lot of recruiting news.

Makes me think something happened form the time he made that post to now.....perhaps Kalk already committed but not officially released?

I hope we don’t get stuck with Dickinson. Kalkbrenner is going to be miles better. Dickinson will be too slow to defend or rebound effectively. Kalk will be able to do everything.

Dickinson reminds me of Haarms and Haas. he's tall and he's big. and that's pretty good. Kalk looks better defensively and looks like he might fit well into our system complementing our shooters. both players are top 100 players. I'd be happy with either and they would make an awesome class.

Knowing Purdue probably only has room for one, timeframe wise, which player do you believe will commit first?

Neither, Purdue can’t play the defense they want with a slow big man. Look at how difficult Michigan was when we had Haas. The game today needs a quick athletic big, not a lumbering big. They can’t guard pick and roll and clog up the lane on offense.
Not trying to be a jerk but I would have to believe CMP, Williams and many recruiting analyst would think differently.

Neither, Purdue can’t play the defense they want with a slow big man. Look at how difficult Michigan was when we had Haas. The game today needs a quick athletic big, not a lumbering big. They can’t guard pick and roll and clog up the lane on offense.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. Good coaches find ways to coach around deficiencies and maximize strengths, which Painter has done over and over. Issac’s strengths certainly outweighed his deficiencies and Hunter is by all accounts significantly more skilled and mobile.

Not trying to be a jerk but I would have to believe CMP, Williams and many recruiting analyst would think differently.
I watched it for four years with Hass. He was a good player who put up big numbers, but isn’t quick enough to guard elite players. The offense had to revolve around him and that just slows everything else down.

I watched it for four years with Hass. He was a good player who put up big numbers, but isn’t quick enough to guard elite players. The offense had to revolve around him and that just slows everything else down.
Yet, it was a net gain. So it was worth it. Easily.

Reactions: IndyGlen
Took it too far, trolling for sure. Happy fishing.
I’m not trolling. With those kinds of big men we made it to the Sweet Sixteen and got blown out. Our best teams (Hummel junior year and last years) did not have the big slow guy and they were our only teams who had the potential to get on the final four. Teams with big slow guys got blown out in the Sweet Sixteen.

Michigan's most recent FF run was with a center that remind me of Dickinson. I expect that is why Howard wants him at UM.

Reactions: pboiler18
I’m not trolling. With those kinds of big men we made it to the Sweet Sixteen and got blown out. Our best teams (Hummel junior year and last years) did not have the big slow guy and they were our only teams who had the potential to get on the final four. Teams with big slow guys got blown out in the Sweet Sixteen.
Oh come on. We lost Haas in the game before the Sweet 16 loss. There's a good argument to be made it's WHY we lost. There is no good argument against it if you aren't going to be honest about it.

Yes, you are trolling.

Oh come on. We lost Haas in the game before the Sweet 16 loss. There's a good argument to be made it's WHY we lost. There is no good argument against it if you aren't going to be honest about it.

Yes, you are trolling.
So any honest dissenting view point is trolling? Yes, anyone could “say” the reason we lost the 2018 Sweet Sixteen is because of Hass’ absence, but that is not fact. It is your opinion. It’s no different than complaining that if the refs just wouldn’t have made that one call, we would have won the game. I provided facts with my argument, you provided no facts only opinion and then called me a troll. The FACT is when we have had a slow big the ceiling has been the sweet sixteen. When we have an athletic big we have made it to the elite 8. Hell, even when Keady went to the elite 8 in 2000 they had athletic bigs. You can’t rebut my argument so you just lazily call me a troll.

This. A troll who won't admit he is not being honest in his arguments. Calls a lie that Haas played in the game we lost a "fact" and an "opinion". Very strange.
What did I say that wasn’t honest? We have never made it to the elite eight with a slow big have we? You are the one saying if we would have had Haas we would have won. You are talking opinion. I’m not saying Hass was bad, there is just a ceiling when you go up against elite teams because their lack of speed is exposed.

It’s a moot point anyway. Kalkbrenner is going to Creighton, crystal ball guys are breaking their way.

5* Walker Kessler just committed to UNC, so I'd imagine the offer to Dickinson is off the table now; which might be good news for Purdue.

Reactions: pboiler18
I would tend to side with BTFU2 that to make the final 4, Purdue needs an athletic, mobile Big man. But we already have that guy in Dow. Just think how great Dow could be in 2-3 years ! Maybe he'll start. look at the twin towers thread. Nobody has said he doesn't have talent. it's just we currently have more talented players.

I also differ from experience. Joe Barry Carrol had to be the SLOWEST big man I've ever watched play basketball. there were many times he'd leave the team hanging on defense and not even bother coming down court. he'd just stay down under the basket waiting for the outlet pass.

Yo u did make a point that with Haas because of his slow speed, we had to make him the center of the offense. Was that a bad thing? Carsen is gone. I seem to remember we won all of the games when has had a huge offensive night. Maybe if Painter lands Dickinson, he'll change his offense and Big men will rule once more.

As with Dow, I have to believe Painter has a preference. the crystal balls seem to make it look like a decision has already been made.

Dickinson doesn't look very mobile or be able to jump. But looking at Chet, I can't understand why he's a top rated player either. they must have something. a lot of intelligent coaches like them, and people paid big money to analyze player skills also seem to like them. Of the two, Dickinson seems to be the better center.

We shall see how it unfolds.

Haas = # 70-80 prospect range; Dickinson = # 30-40 range.
Dickinson >> Haas.

Haas = # 70-80 prospect range; Dickinson = # 30-40 range.
Dickinson >> Haas.

I noticed Kalk was also in that 70-90 range.

Besides the 40 pounds and 3-4 inches difference, what makes Dickinson that highly rated over Kalk?

I noticed Kalk was also in that 70-90 range.

Besides the 40 pounds and 3-4 inches difference, what makes Dickinson that highly rated over Kalk?
3-4 inches is quite significant. while different types of players, that is significant enough. 6-11 to 7-2 means a lot.

The problem with this thread is that people are assuming Dickinson is slow and can't jump before he has even played a college game. Maybe we should slow the he is like Haas argument until he plays his first college game? There is a reason Dickinson is rated higher than Haas was.

So any honest dissenting view point is trolling? Yes, anyone could “say” the reason we lost the 2018 Sweet Sixteen is because of Hass’ absence, but that is not fact. It is your opinion. It’s no different than complaining that if the refs just wouldn’t have made that one call, we would have won the game. I provided facts with my argument, you provided no facts only opinion and then called me a troll. The FACT is when we have had a slow big the ceiling has been the sweet sixteen. When we have an athletic big we have made it to the elite 8. Hell, even when Keady went to the elite 8 in 2000 they had athletic bigs. You can’t rebut my argument so you just lazily call me a troll.
I do not think you are a troll and fully understand what you are saying and can agree that there are advantages in a lengthy, athletic center. I will not agree that the limitations of how far a team goes is highly dependent on how quick,agile and lengthy a center is...other players are key as well. I liked Kalk for those things you mentioned and liked him with Ivey in particular. However, today Dickinson is the better individual player. He is quicker than Haas, a lefty Matt likes and good around the basket. Brian showed he could step out farther than Haas ever did and so there are differences between him and Haas and can pass the ball pretty well for a big at that age.

Dickinson moves better than Haas in comparative years. If Purdue gets him, they will get a very good player

People on this board still don't understand what trolling is? Someone defending a position that you disagree with is not a 'troll'. I don't agree with BTFU in this case that those teams were capped at S16 just because that's where they happened to finish, but that's not even a top 500 worst take that I've seen on this board. He doesn't like slow big men. Ok. It certainly creates good mismatches against some teams and bad mismatches against others. Just disagree and state your case and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT