ADVERTISEMENT

Last 2 min...

Lots to learn from this one. Those 2 unforced TO's were hard to watch.

1. Proctor needs to be in last 5 mins of game. He is strong with the ball and not as slow on help/closeouts on defense as Sasha. He was not in when that 5 point lead vanished.

2. They could not handle Trevion. Wish we would have pounded it more to him in the last 10 mins. This was a game he should have played more IMO. They were pulling Haarms away from rim and he was ineffective on D tonight.

3. Rotations were just bad. It looked like Haarms was over helping to me, and it was a domino effect after that. We saw this early last year too and it was corrected for the most part.

4. Texas was really good. They hit some tough shots. I think they beat Duke in a few weeks and are a top 15 team for sure. Yaklich should be the HC at Michigan and will do wonders with that talent at UT.

5. This is why you play good teams. Beating Mississippi Valley State by 38 doesn't teach you anything. It sucks to give away one at home like that, but the team got better tonight. Purdue picks up a road win at Marquette Wednesday.

Are you for real?? Eastern is one of the toughest Purdue players I have ever seen. Did you watch him play on a sprained ankle in the tournament?
Yeah I'm for real! When your an upperclassmen, and expected to be a leader you have to have a tough edge! That's what made Carsen such a great leader, he was tough as nails! I hope Sasha or Hunter step up and help fill the leadership void that Carsen left, cuz I don't see it coming from Nojel.

Yeah I'm for real! When your an upperclassmen, and expected to be a leader you have to have a tough edge! That's what made Carsen such a great leader, he was tough as nails! I hope Sasha or Hunter step up and help fill the leadership void that Carsen left, cuz I don't see it coming from Nojel.
Hunter has to get stronger to be a major contributor.

1. Proctor needs to be in last 5 mins of game. He is strong with the ball and not as slow on help/closeouts on defense as Sasha. He was not in when that 5 point lead vanished.

2. They could not handle Trevion. Wish we would have pounded it more to him in the last 10 mins. This was a game he should have played more IMO. They were pulling Haarms away from rim and he was ineffective on D tonight.

3. Rotations were just bad. It looked like Haarms was over helping to me, and it was a domino effect after that. We saw this early last year too and it was corrected for the most part.

4. Texas was really good. They hit some tough shots. I think they beat Duke in a few weeks and are a top 15 team for sure. Yaklich should be the HC at Michigan and will do wonders with that talent at UT.

5. This is why you play good teams. Beating Mississippi Valley State by 38 doesn't teach you anything. It sucks to give away one at home like that, but the team got better tonight. Purdue picks up a road win at Marquette Wednesday.

#3 - Said this all game. He was completely over-helping for no reason, leaving his guy wide open or pulling another defender off a 3 point shooter. Not sure why Painter wasn't adjusting him out of that.

Reactions: DAG10
The game is about scorers. If you can't shoot as a guard we have a huge problem. I love him as a defender, and Treed, but he has to be a shooting threat. His form is not close.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I don’t know why nojel tried to shoot right handed sometimes. In three years, I have never seen him make a right handed shot. It is like a baseball player that is a .250 hitter continues to switch hit, even though he bats 50 points higher from one side than the other

Not concerned about the loss or the play at the end of the game! Following the model MSU uses…play good to great competition early in the season, suffer a loss or two early out of conference. Purdue is missing three starters, a lot of experience, shooting plus scoring that has to be replaced and it will be…they wii be fine in time!

I didn’t get to watch the game as I said on another post. But from everything I have read Proctor certainly needs to be in the game when it counts.
Could Trevion be learning-by-watching How important it is that he is able to be in the game at crunch time? I know CMP says all the time how Trevion needs to get to a certain weight and certain players need to step-up in other areas. This is the perfect situation to illustrate that point. Away from the media I’m sure CMP will have those conversations and let those particular players and know and understand how, Later in the season when these games count for much bigger things he needs them in those positions mentally and physically prepared. I’m just guessing, but I think that’s how you build a strong program fit for the post season.When you’re not recruiting five star players for your starting lineup but your “building and getting older” those things matter because they are great, teachable moments.

I didn’t get to watch the game as I said on another post. But from everything I have read Proctor certainly needs to be in the game when it counts.
Could Trevion be learning-by-watching How important it is that he is able to be in the game at crunch time? I know CMP says all the time how Trevion needs to get to a certain weight and certain players need to step-up in other areas. This is the perfect situation to illustrate that point. Away from the media I’m sure CMP will have those conversations and let those particular players and know and understand how, Later in the season when these games count for much bigger things he needs them in those positions mentally and physically prepared. I’m just guessing, but I think that’s how you build a strong program fit for the post season.When you’re not recruiting five star players for your starting lineup but your “building and getting older” those things matter because they are great, teachable moments.

I get what you're saying. But Trevion's play was one of the bright spots of this game. I think he could have played more at the end of the game, as Haarms could not effectively guard Sims.

I get what you're saying. But Trevion's play was one of the bright spots of this game. I think he could have played more at the end of the game, as Haarms could not effectively guard Sims.
I think Simms was Wheeler’s man. Twice Wheeler was standing out to the side without a Texas player within 10 feet of him. He needed to slide in behind Haarms when Haarms goes out to hedge the dribbler.

So it’s a game of matchup’s as much as anything baby? That’s basketball. Early in the season it’s more about figuring out how to play this match ups? I think we’ll be just fine

I love my boilermakers but without a True go to guy it will be a struggle against the good teams. We will be up-and-down team all year That makes the tournament and maybe gets to the sweet 16 I'm going to say 2nd round or sweet 16 but no further than that. We got a lot of good role players on this team now we just got to add that 1 kid with the it factor Somebody in crunch time that can go get you a 8 to 10 points in a hurry. I Do believe Newman can be that player eventually. I thought Wheeler could be that guy this year but he is what he is a 3 point shooter and that's it. This team can still be a decent team this year and It's still will be fun watching them. I think Ivey Can be a go to guy next year too. I'm gonna say final 4 next year not this year Like some . That's my thoughts And my opinion.

I'm glad Proctor was added for the season and think he will be a big help. That being said, I am a bit worried that he seemed to have an inability to effectively use his left hand when close the hoop. He seemed to tend to transfer to his right for a more difficult shot even when a left was clearly preferable and open. Maybe it was a misperception on my part, but seemed pretty startingly in person live.obvious

Need to get more offensive production from Wheeler and Eastern combined than 10 points for 63 minutes played. That’s tough to overcome.
Both missed multiple easy shots as well.

Purdue needs to find a way to get Wheeler more involved at the offensive end, and, Nojel hurt Purdue last night for sure on the offensive end.

He is absolutely a difference maker defensively...unfortunately, he is a difference maker at times at the other end, and, not in a positive manner. Love his spirit and energy, but, he has to be able to finish the shots that he is getting...it has plagued him since he arrived...I keep hearing all about his ability to shoot and that we will see it, when all I really want is to see the guy finish at the rim as he fails to do so regularly and he gets opportunities to do so just above every game.

Proctor was impressive last night again...that is comforting and nice for sure. Completely puzzled by his not being on the floor at crunch time.

There were some positives, at least at times, coming out of last night...maybe the greatest one being that Purdue was its own worst enemy and did not play anything close to a perfect game, yet, should have won the game.

I will be interested to see how Texas fares...they have size and they have some talent...and, they have an elite PG...for Purdue's sake, I hope that they have a good year.

Reactions: Boiler8285
The game is about scorers. If you can't shoot as a guard we have a huge problem. I love him as a defender, and Treed, but he has to be a shooting threat. His form is not close.

I disagree. He looks good from 10 feet and in. And he looked good on the one fade away from the wing. No 3s yet, but definitely adding. He really only forced 1 shot but it was close. It just missed at a critical time, but I think it's good he wasn't afraid to shoot.
Wheeler is close too. Both guys just need a little more experience so the game slows down 10 percent. That could happen by conference season.

Proctors probably should have played more but it's only game 2

I disagree. He looks good from 10 feet and in. And he looked good on the one fade away from the wing. No 3s yet, but definitely adding. He really only forced 1 shot but it was close. It just missed at a critical time, but I think it's good he wasn't afraid to shoot.
Wheeler is close too. Both guys just need a little more experience so the game slows down 10 percent. That could happen by conference season.

He was 3/10 with all of his shots from 5 feet and in. He did not look good at all.

It’s clear he either isn’t confident enough to take open 3s, or he knows he doesn’t have the capability of hitting them.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Are you for real?? Eastern is one of the toughest Purdue players I have ever seen. Did you watch him play on a sprained ankle in the tournament?
These fans not all but the few who complain after a Loss need to get a clue. My advice u don’t like what Nojel does find another team or player to watch. Simply delusional to blame a player for a loss but next week when he plays well than he the best thing since slice bread. If u gonna be negative stay negative even when they win not only when they loose

He was 3/10 with all of his shots from 5 feet and in. He did not look good at all.

It’s clear he either isn’t confident enough to take open 3s, or he knows he doesn’t have the capability of hitting them.
He is confident he didn’t take one he was open so u suggest to take 3s just bcuz he should take them or take what the defense gives gives him. Many complained about him not shooting the ball now he’s taking shots that are not 3s and that still not enough to satisfy ur liking. The game is more than just taking 3s especially if they’re bad 3s. And if u look at many teams stats from the 3 point like right now many many teams are struggling from behind the 3 point line and if u don’t have a midrange game be a tough shooting season for many teams until they adjust to the 3 point line but I’m sure u don’t see it that way u see him not taking a 3 bcuz u feel he should internet coaches got all the answers

Reactions: beenther1s
He is confident he didn’t take one he was open so u suggest to take 3s just bcuz he should take them or take what the defense gives gives him. Many complained about him not shooting the ball now he’s taking shots that are not 3s and that still not enough to satisfy ur liking. The game is more than just taking 3s especially if they’re bad 3s. And if u look at many teams stats from the 3 point like right now many many teams are struggling from behind the 3 point line and if u don’t have a midrange game be a tough shooting season for many teams until they adjust to the 3 point line but I’m sure u don’t see it that way u see him not taking a 3 bcuz u feel he should internet coaches got all the answers
He had 3 open 3s that he passed up. You talked all offseason about how much his shot has improved, and how much he has improved as a player now that the offense doesn’t revolve around Carsen and Cline. We’ve yet to see his shot, or his improvement from last year. He looks largely the same.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

In 2 games he has not attempted one long jumpshot whether it be a 2 or a 3. He has been open enough to shoot the ball numerous times but he is not looking for his shot. After supposedly working on his shot all summer he is still not looking for it. Defenses do not have to respect his ability to shoot when they know he is not going to attempt anything outside of 10 feet.

He’s not afraid to shoot 3s or jump shots now he gotta get in a Situation were he in a position to catch and shoot it. He had to facilitate mostly for the team yesterday and yes he missed easy baskets around the rim bcuz at this point he not in game shape yet after missing a couple weeks of practice and 2 games his legs not under him yet but he looked somewhat better yesterday getting up and down the court than last game. Both gonna be dangerous once they start clicking with each other and the team new faces new roles with more to do it will come together but some go nuts off a loss 2 games into the season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT