ADVERTISEMENT

Koenig

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
I am stunned at how good that guy is. Seriously, this is their BACKUP pg? Dear God, that kid is a absolute stud. Any room at all and he's automatic. Hell I thought those prayers we forced him into to beat the shot clock were going in too. He has impressed me more than any player in the league.

Some people have questioned if they really want Jackson back for the tournament since they are worried about chemistry.This guy has been great in Jackson's loss.

No question he was very good. But that was his CAREER game against us. Seems that over the years, WI always seemed to find one of their more obscure guys to have a career game against us. Wouldn't be surprised if he has only 5 points against MSU on Sunday (and WI still wins by 15).

He's averaged about 12ppg for the last two months. This isn't surprising to UW fans. We've been waiting for him for three years.

He wasn't a scrub coming in, pretty sure he was Wisconsin Mr Basketball
Decker was a Burger Boy as well. They have talent, and most are upper classmen. They are simply better than us. We will get payback next year...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He's a backup only bc he's a soph to a senior PG and team leader. And inasmuch as no one has heard (much) of him yet, he verballed to UW early, Sep of his JR year, already with offers from UNC, Duke, Virginia and Kansas. By measure of "other offers", he's the most high-profile UW signee ever.

He literally *just* started getting comfortable driving to the hoop in the last 5-6 games - today he drove more than ever before. Still learning to control himself at high speed, so to speak. Personally I think he'll wind up as the best badger ever - a bit of a stretch perhaps, but considering his skill set, size, handle and speed - there's very little as far as limitations for him.

So my point is that it wasn't just "some backup PG who had a good game".

It's clear Purdue is a top BT team, and going to get better. Best of luck and see you again.

This post was edited on 3/14 7:25 PM by youareour

I know he wasn't a scrub coming in, I remember his name on the top 100 list for his class. I'm pretty sure Dekker was a 5 star. I think we have guys similarly decorated out of HS who aren't close to to the level of Koenig right now. I'm just saying, this guy was a bench player in to start the year and he looks like 1st team all B1G to me.

Wow I had no idea he had those types of offers. I just looked at the rankings, he was #73 on rivals. Funny sometimes to look back at the rankings, Koenig was #73 and behind Kendall Stephens, but 10x the player. If there's one guy in the league I'd pick to have for the rest of their career, it would be Koenig hands down.

Very few badger fans even know that. It's bc he committed coming off his soph yr in hs. The hype never gets to build. And it's a window into how recruiting rankings work - the hype goes away and his ranking likely didn't move for 2 yrs.

Good luck guys - much respect to purdue

Originally posted by HUD628:
Wow I had no idea he had those types of offers. I just looked at the rankings, he was #73 on rivals. Funny sometimes to look back at the rankings, Koenig was #73 and behind Kendall Stephens, but 10x the player. If there's one guy in the league I'd pick to have for the rest of their career, it would be Koenig hands down.

Really 10x? He averages 10 pts a game and you think he's the best young player in the league? Based on this one game where he scored his career high of 19 pts. OK. Interesting.

Originally posted by BoilerBulldog:

Really 10x? He averages 10 pts a game and you think he's the best young player in the league? Based on this one game where he scored his career high of 19 pts. OK. Interesting.
No based on his performance since taking over the starting role. I haven't watched every game, but every minute I've watched, Koenig has been great. He's a Sophomore, and he's not going anywhere until graduation, so yes he would absolutely be my pick out of anyone in the league right now. Who would you take? Russell or Trimble aren't under consideration because they're early draft entries. "FOR THE REST OF THEIR CAREER" was the key phrase, and it was quite obviously meant within the context of the B1G

You take Koenig, I'll stick with Dakota.

Originally posted by Purduethruandthru:

First off, I wasn't thinking of Purdue players, because, well, we already have them. But anyway...Mathias is going to be very good for us, but do you think that he could be our starting PG at the level Koenig plays? I don't.

First off, I wasn't thinking of Purdue players, because, well, we already have them. But anyway...Mathias is going to be very good for us, but do you think that he could be our starting PG at the level Koenig plays? I don't.
I think he is a learner and within reason could do just about anything put in front of him in time. My answer is a wimpy maybe yes.

Wasn't taking a poke at you, I was just expressing that I really think Dakota has a good a four year ceiling as any player in the league. Also I didn't realize you were speaking only of point guards as you said any guy in the league for the rest of his career. Just saying I wouldn't trade the two

Wasn't taking a poke at you, I was just expressing that I really think Dakota has a good a four year ceiling as any player in the league. Also I didn't realize you were speaking only of point guards as you said any guy in the league for the rest of his career. Just saying I wouldn't trade the two

I wasn't speaking only of PGs. I was speaking of guys who had a future in the conference. I think Koenig is a B1G star for the next 2 years and i wish he was a Boiler. Damn it's hard to find PGs, why does Wisconsin have a better backup than the starter on 75% of the league?

I wasn't speaking only of PGs. I was speaking of guys who had a future in the conference. I think Koenig is a B1G star for the next 2 years and i wish he was a Boiler. Damn it's hard to find PGs, why does Wisconsin have a better backup than the starter on 75% of the league?

I think Edwards and Mathias > Koenig. So we're good.

Koenig's ranking out of high school was always a bit of a mystery. Looking at the teams who wanted him, how much time a guy like Roy Williams was spending in Lacrosse, he was only slightly less highly thought of than Dekker in Wisconsin. It's not like he came out of nowhere-he did go for 11 in the Final 4 game vs. Kentucky. Nor is it like today was some aberration. He's 4th in the conference in 3fg% and 11th in makes (and was a backup through the first few B10 games.

I think Edwards and Mathias > Koenig. So we're good.
If it takes 2 of our guys to beat one of theirs...yeah...wonderful

I'd trade anyone on our roster for Koenig without hesitation.

Quote that.

Then try to find a Badger fan to even dream of that deal.

Kid has been a stud today. I'll give you that.
Completely agree but he did a couple things at the end of regulation that almost lost it also. He is good and you want those guys to be involved and make plays at the end.

He was tough as nails and played with a lot of poise.

And Hayes is becoming a beast. Even with Dekker having an "off" game, Hayes work and Gasser's defense were big keys as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT