ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

Can someone explain why Catchings isn’t “ranked” by Rivals?
These national analysts have so many players to rank that they are going to miss a lot. There will be a handful of players that dominate in the big tournaments that everyone can tell are good, but beyond that it is a very inexact job. Players are developing all the time so potential has to be assessed and compared to many other prospects across the country who may be seen when they are playing well or when they are playing poorly. Also, these analysts are not coaches. They get credit for observing a lot, but I would trust the assessment of a top coach over an analyst any day.

Painter, meanwhile, invests a lot of time getting to know a smaller pool of players very well. I am absolutely certain that Painter has a much better handle on Catchings’ strengths, weaknesses, potential, and program fit, and has for a long time, which is the same reason why he could confidently offer Smith when he was flying under the national radar.

He has really improved over the past 4 months since they last did their ranking updates.

Rivals does schedule ranking updates and think the next one comes after high school season before AAU starts.
I watched a few. Of his AAU games he was much more a fascinator this past summer. At 6'6 and 140 playing mainly the four. He wasn't playing his game. In HS he is the leader and primary scorer. Now at 6'8 and 180 with a strong base and playing a combo guard he is showing not every player develops at the same pace. He is content not to score if his team wins. This shows up a lot for him one game he will score 39 and then as in his last game 7 both wins. Still, he's averaging 20 per for the second ranked team in the state. One thing that never changes for any player getting an offer from Painter you have to love winning above stats. With all this being said rankings are a joke IMO they should rank the top 10 and move on. Because after that it's a crap shoot. I saw on twitter people complaining about Myles being ranked 48th IMO a top 50 ranking is great. Kanon is a top 10 player IMO and anyone ranking him less is a jokester.

Because they don’t think he’s currently one of the top 150 players?
I guess that’s just surprising considering some posters have said he’s easily a top 50 players.

Just seems wild for there to be such a discrepancy, but it wouldn’t be the first time Rivals has missed egregiously!

I’d imagine he probably also moves up when the rankings get “updated.”

I guess that’s just surprising considering some posters have said he’s easily a top 50 players.

Just seems wild for there to be such a discrepancy, but it wouldn’t be the first time Rivals has missed egregiously!

I’d imagine he probably also moves up when the rankings get “updated.”

No Kentucky, Karolina, or Kansas in the mix......he can't be any good, right? We shall see, but this could be C-Boogie, Jaden Ivey, and Braden Smith all over again.....really like what I see from him, and you have to like the pedigree.

I have been saying Catching may be Painters best recruit ever many questioned my assessment. IMO he is only slightly better than Benter right now. But Kanon has a bigger upside. You won't see Benter ranked highly. But he is a top 100 recruit without question. Probably the best passer I have seen in HS and I watched Magic in HS.

ADVERTISEMENT