ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched the game on DVR...Cline has no business taking that shot!

Kly

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
And if he takes it, he better make it. Hitting 3's is the reason he was recruited.
I only watched the last 5 min because I knew the score. When we were up 56-50, I started doubting if we really lost the game...lol.
The Cline shot was awful. But he did get fouled and it was not called. Down 1 and with the shot clock off you have to go inside to our big guy for 1 last shot with less than 5 sec.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
So you suggest we don't post our opinion on this board?
What can we post about then?

If Cline can't shoot an open 3 then why is he in the game? I thought we took a ton of bad shots during the game but ironically, I didn't really have a problem with the shots we took down the stretch. Those were all shots I can live with. They just didn't go down. We lost the game with the shots we wasted throughout the rest of the game and on rebounding.

And if he takes it, he better make it. Hitting 3's is the reason he was recruited.
I only watched the last 5 min because I knew the score. When we were up 56-50, I started doubting if we really lost the game...lol.
The Cline shot was awful. But he did get fouled and it was not called. Down 1 and with the shot clock off you have to go inside to our big guy for 1 last shot with less than 5 sec.
No the Purdue offense is the hesitant/tentative entry pass that gets slapped away.

Because if you watched more than the last 5 minutes, you would have seen Cline was 3-5 behind the arc in that game before that shot. Considering the rest of the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I am more than happy that a shooter who was hot at the time, and had actual confidence in his game, took that shot. If he makes that shot, he and Biggie lead the team in scoring.

Summed up: He was hot, had confidence, and nobody else was doing anything.

You are correct when you state that Ryan was fouled because he was fouled, but dead wrong when you say that the shot was awful! Ryan had a good look .

That was a good shot by Cline. I am sorry the foul wasn't called. However, the good news is that Cline was not in the game to shoot a 3 Cline was in the game, because he was playing great defense against their top 3 point shooter. Congratulations Ryan! Good shot and keep improving!

Why Ryan? Because he was open and he was 3 for 5 in his previous attempts from deep!
Down 1 on the break with the ball in Vince's hands. I would have preferred he took that all of the way as he had the defense backpedaling and off balance.

Worst case you draw a foul and hit your FT's. I am not sure why he hesitated and passed up such an opportunity.

Because if you watched more than the last 5 minutes, you would have seen Cline was 3-5 behind the arc in that game before that shot. Considering the rest of the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I am more than happy that a shooter who was hot at the time, and had actual confidence in his game, took that shot. If he makes that shot, he and Biggie lead the team in scoring.

Summed up: He was hot, had confidence, and nobody else was doing anything.
You are right...I only watched the last 5 min and I didn't know he was hot.
I had more of a problem with the amount of time left in the game. I still would rather get a better % shot (than a 3) if we are down only 1. Of course, if he makes it, he is the hero and we wouldn't be talking about it.

Throughout most of the game, I don't mind Cline shooting, especially because he was hot. But it doesn't matter how hot he is, in that situation with only a few seconds left when you do not need a 3, you try to get a higher percentage shot. Driving and trying to draw the foul, getting it to a big down low, those were the right actions.

But I'm a little confused why Painter didn't call a TO and try to draw something up. He had one left-- was he saving it in case we made our shot and then Michigan made another? It was confusing.

Clines shot........I think there was more than 1 very bad possession in a half that produced a whooping 25 points.....

Throughout most of the game, I don't mind Cline shooting, especially because he was hot. But it doesn't matter how hot he is, in that situation with only a few seconds left when you do not need a 3, you try to get a higher percentage shot. Driving and trying to draw the foul, getting it to a big down low, those were the right actions.

But I'm a little confused why Painter didn't call a TO and try to draw something up. He had one left-- was he saving it in case we made our shot and then Michigan made another? It was confusing.

Painter cant call a live ball TO. A player has to call the live ball TO now or it has to be at a dead ball for the coach to call. Usually you would call the TO after crossing half court, thus only a player can call it in this situation. I couldnt see if Painter was asking for them to call a TO or not though. Maybe its just poor situational awareness on the players end.

Agree but you left out one key fact that made it worse. We still had 1 freaking TO. One of the players should have called the damn TO and let the coach draw out a play. Period. I have been arguing all week on the paid board with people who kept it insisting, it wasn't that bad. Yes it was bad play. Even if he had shot 8/8 from 3 all night, it was still the wrong choice. It is NOT the reason we lost, but it sure denied us a CHANCE at winning.

Pushing the ball for a quick 2 is okay but once thats not there. Pull up with about 15sec and call the freaking TO.

Reactions: 70boiler
Agree but you left out one key fact that made it worse. We still had 1 freaking TO. One of the players should have called the damn TO and let the coach draw out a play. Period. I have been arguing all week on the paid board with people who kept it insisting, it wasn't that bad. Yes it was bad play. Even if he had shot 8/8 from 3 all night, it was still the wrong choice. It is NOT the reason we lost, but it sure denied us a CHANCE at winning.

Pushing the ball for a quick 2 is okay but once thats not there. Pull up with about 15sec and call the freaking TO.
So if the shot had went down and we pull out the win you'd still be here arguing he shouldn't have, right?

Reactions: Jamboiler
So if the shot had went down and we pull out the win you'd still be here arguing he shouldn't have, right?
making a shot doesn't make any less a bad shot. That was a bad shot. Forget the time and situation for a second, that shot was arguably the toughest one Cline attempted all night. We played like we were down 3 with 8 seconds left. We were down 1 with initially 26 seconds. There was no need for a rushed. Edwards pushing it for a quick 2 is not a bad choice. But once that wasn't there. Stop, call the time-out. Go for the last play. that's why we pay CMP millions.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
If Cline can't shoot an open 3 then why is he in the game? I thought we took a ton of bad shots during the game but ironically, I didn't really have a problem with the shots we took down the stretch. Those were all shots I can live with. They just didn't go down. We lost the game with the shots we wasted throughout the rest of the game and on rebounding.
1. it wasn't open. It was arguably the least open of all the 3s he attempted tonight.
2. down only 1 with 20 + seconds and TO, a three point attempt is just a bad decision period. Regardless of who the shooter is.

Painter cant call a live ball TO. A player has to call the live ball TO now or it has to be at a dead ball for the coach to call. Usually you would call the TO after crossing half court, thus only a player can call it in this situation. I couldnt see if Painter was asking for them to call a TO or not though. Maybe its just poor situational awareness on the players end.

Right, I know Painter can't call a TO, but he could have communicated to his players to call a TO. Do you agree that a TO should have been called?

1. it wasn't open. It was arguably the least open of all the 3s he attempted tonight.
2. down only 1 with 20 + seconds and TO, a three point attempt is just a bad decision period. Regardless of who the shooter is.

2 questions:

1) Have you seen our half court offense out of a TO in end game situations?
2) Who would you have rather taken the shot? Vince (1 for 9), Ray (1 for 5), AJ (not engaged and double teamed), one of our other guards (JH/DM/PJ 3 pts. total)?

2 questions:

2) Who would you have rather taken the shot? Vince (1 for 9), Ray (1 for 5), AJ (not engaged and double teamed), one of our other guards (JH/DM/PJ 3 pts. total)?
Mathias, Ray, and AJ have all hit big shots in their careers, so probably one of them

2 questions:

1) Let me make sure I understand your point.
Our half court offense sucks, so a rushed off-balance 3 is a better shot? like really?
Off the top of my head, I remember the AJ against BYU, (), R I am sure there are many more examples.

People need to quit defending the indefensible. It starts to look like its out of bias for the person involved. A bad shot is a bad shot. Given the time and situation, that was a horrible shot. Period. The right thing to do there. Call the TO, draw up a last play.

2. if that was the best shot we could get after calling a time out, I would be content with him shooting it but I would still rather we go inside since we were only down 1. But shooting that 3 at the time and under those circumstances was the wrong decision. There are things people can argue about because everyone has different opinions. This one shouldn't be one of them.

Mathias, Ray, and AJ have all hit big shots in their careers, so probably one of them
I don't even care who shoots the shot. I just want a better shot than a rushed 3 when we are down 1 with enough time to run a proper offense and an available TO to use to set it up.

2 questions:

call the time out. And let the person paid $2million/year answer those questions. That's what we pay him for.

I don't even care who shoots the shot. I just want a better shot than a rushed 3 when we are down 1 with enough time to run a proper offense and an available TO to use to set it up.
You make a reasonable point. However, I recall at least two situations when we had the ball under the basket, and had 2-3 shots. Nobody could get it into the hoop. Hammons and Edwards kept getting rebounds and flubbing the following shot. Maybe Painter thought the same. Ryan was 3/5 then and he can hit that shot most of the time. No matter what Painter calls, if it goes, he's a coaching great. If it fails, he is a failure. That's just the game. We all watched it (some just the last 5 minutes) so we can all have our opinion. I doubt any of us have the right answer, because you can't prove it in any case.

:cool:

1) Let me make sure I understand your point.
Our half court offense sucks, so a rushed off-balance 3 is a better shot? like really?
Off the top of my head, I remember the AJ against BYU, ( ), R I am sure there are many more examples.

People need to quit defending the indefensible. It starts to look like its out of bias for the person involved. A bad shot is a bad shot. Given the time and situation, that was a horrible shot. Period. The right thing to do there. Call the TO, draw up a last play.

2. if that was the best shot we could get after calling a time out, I would be content with him shooting it but I would still rather we go inside since we were only down 1. But shooting that 3 at the time and under those circumstances was the wrong decision. There are things people can argue about because everyone has different opinions. This one shouldn't be one of them.

So your example is from a game a year and a half ago against a non con team that "held" us to 90+. OK. The real problem is that we don't have a go-to guy. So Painter goes with whoever looks the most locked in that particular game. Saturday that guy was Cline. Could he have gotten a better shot? Maybe. But I've seen him hit that shot before and you will see him hit that shot a lot by the time he's done at Purdue. IMO, if we call a TO, there's no guarantee we get a better shot. In fact, the defense gets a chance to scheme and set up, and it's very likely we don't (ala Biggie's brick off the board).

So your example is from a game a year and a half ago against a non con team that "held" us to 90+. OK. The real problem is that we don't have a go-to guy. So Painter goes with whoever looks the most locked in that particular game. Saturday that guy was Cline. Could he have gotten a better shot? Maybe. But I've seen him hit that shot before and you will see him hit that shot a lot by the time he's done at Purdue. IMO, if we call a TO, there's no guarantee we get a better shot. In fact, the defense gets a chance to scheme and set up, and it's very likely we don't (ala Biggie's brick off the board).
You know the game. Thanks for the great response.

This is a bit of a pointless argument, as I have pointed out earlier, but it is interesting. I don't think Painter is wrong in what he called (if he did call it), but who can tell for sure?

2 questions:

These are the correct points. We don't do well in sets out of timeouts. Further, it was a fast break situation. By the time we slow it down and try to get it in to AJ (which is no guarantee by any measure) we are down to one shot to win. More than likely we would have wound up with a forced shot. BTW, Painter was ok with the shot. But if we had a playmaker.............

These are the correct points. We don't do well in sets out of timeouts. Further, it was a fast break situation. By the time we slow it down and try to get it in to AJ (which is no guarantee by any measure) we are down to one shot to win. More than likely we would have wound up with a forced shot. BTW, Painter was ok with the shot. But if we had a playmaker.............
I would have been disappointed if Coach Painter had publicly criticized the shot. And I am glad he didn't. The shot was not the reason we lost the game. I would hope privately he points out to his wards what wasn't great about it.

That we had missed bunnies inside all night was not a reason to not go to bunnies when you need only one point, had a time out and 20 seconds to execute and rebound. If people can argue that Cline who was shooting 3/5 is a good option, then Swanigan at 6/9 from much closer has to be much much better option. It really was horrible decision-making from a kid who otherwise played very well on the night.

If we had a playmaker like E'twaun Moore on this team, I would be dreaming NC.

I still don't get this argument. Down 1 and with a TO in hand The options are are:
1) a well-discussed, coach-drawn play with enough time to execute (18 seconds) even with a set defense
2)a rushed, marginally open, early 3 that would have left enough time for Michigan to come back and win/tie the game.

I would take my options with the former every single even if it comes without a guarantee. Those type of 3s only belong to a desperation times i.e. we are probably going to lose, I might as well throw up a prayer. e.g. KS at PSU last year.

Reactions: 70boiler

Guess I'm just glad you aren't coaching the team.

Reactions: toddbrewster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT