ADVERTISEMENT

Jacobsen to compete for spot on U18 USA National team

Lolol always do, always enjoy the gymnastics that Wole does to convince himself everyone agrees with him.
"Everyone" that agrees with wol:
Alex Gaskarth Puppet Show GIF by Simple Creatures

I wish him well. Purdue and Painter have a very good track record in being able to get their recruits tryouts for the national teams. The rest is up to him.

I still think he may surprise a lot of people becoming our starting center as a freshman. It would be awesome to see him and Furst sharing the position and allowing TKR to remain at the 4.
I’m not sure whether DJ will start, but I predict that your prediction here ages better than your prediction of TKR starting over Zach as a freshman.

I do agree with you that this could be a big, big deal for Purdue basketball this upcoming season. I know a lot of fans want to see Purdue play smaller and getting enough minutes for Heide, Colvin, and Catchings is going to be a challenge. If DJ plays at level where you can’t keep him off the court, it could be a game changer from a rim protection and rebounding standpoint.

I’m not sure whether DJ will start, but I predict that your prediction here ages better than your prediction of TKR starting over Zach as a freshman.

I do agree with you that this could be a big, big deal for Purdue basketball this upcoming season. I know a lot of fans want to see Purdue play smaller and getting enough minutes for Heide, Colvin, and Catchings is going to be a challenge. If DJ plays at level where you can’t keep him off the court, it could be a game changer from a rim protection and rebounding standpoint.
I’m all good with him playing the 5 and tkr at the 4. I think TKR could still operate down low and DJ can spread the floor with the threat of outside shot making AND he’s very active (well he could be I need to pump the brakes at this level) on the defensive end…similar to Haarms. Def will alter shots and if he is ready to go from day 1, we are going to be hated once again by other fan bases 😂😂

I’m all good with him playing the 5 and tkr at the 4. I think TKR could still operate down low and DJ can spread the floor with the threat of outside shot making AND he’s very active (well he could be I need to pump the brakes at this level) on the defensive end…similar to Haarms. Def will alter shots and if he is ready to go from day 1, we are going to be hated once again by other fan bases 😂😂
I don’t know why people are so worried about who plays the five versus four. As you said, Trey is going to be the main low post scoring option on offense regardless of position and has shown that he can hold up at the four on defense.

I’d be surprised if Can doesn’t play minutes at the four, but having a rim protector who can play alongside Trey could be hugely impactful against certain teams.

Didn’t he just turn 16 or was it 17?

Would be awesome if this helps springboard him into an immediate impact player. I could see Painter reigning in minutes early because that’s a lot of minutes for a young guy. If conditioning is there, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is playing significant minutes late into conference play.

Would be awesome if this helps springboard him into an immediate impact player. I could see Painter reigning in minutes early because that’s a lot of minutes for a young guy. If conditioning is there, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is playing significant minutes late into conference play.
I did a quick search for his birthday and couldn’t find it, but didn’t look very hard. I don’t think he’s 16 but could be 17. He did reclass.

Well he just had a birthday in April…I’d assume he just turned 17

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Purdue signee Daniel Jacobsen will be one of 30 players competing for a spot on the 2024 USA Basketball Men’s U18 National Team ahead of the FIBA U18 Men’s AmeriCup.

This may have already been posted here, but this article gives a breakdown of the 13 rising high school seniors who DJ is competing with for the final 12 roster spots (there are also 4 other incoming freshmen).

This is a big, big deal as DJ is playing at a five star level.
Link - 247 article on 18U participants

Reactions: BoilerAndy
This may have already been posted here, but this article gives a breakdown of the 13 rising high school seniors who DJ is competing with for the final 12 roster spots (there are also 4 other incoming freshmen).

This is a big, big deal as DJ is playing at a five star level.
Link - 247 article on 18U participants
Well DJ is just tall so….he should be good… 😂

Happy for him and he just keeps getting better and bette the more he plays and the better competition he goes against. Excited to see how Paint uses him and how Brantley is able to develop him. Hope he can give us good mins this year.

The 247 article almost implied that all 5 incoming college kids would make the team but one didn't.

Defensively, he put his body in front of drivers and contested plays at the rim, particularly when rotating from the weak-side of the floor. Offensively, he was trying to dunk everything. And even when he couldn't, he showed quick finishing ability around the paint. He worked for deep catches when playing with his back to the basket and then elevated into his baby hooks. He also made a couple of impressive quick passes from various spots on the floor.

Now, this isn't to say that Purdue fans should expect Jacobsen to be able to step right in for Zach Edey. He still has work left to do. Jacobsen weighed in at 251 pounds this week in Colorado, after beginning the season at Brewster at 234. While those 17 pounds of presumed muscle is a good start, but it's just that – a start. He will need to keep building up his body before being able to consistently handle the physical rigor of the Big Ten.

Now, this isn't to say that Purdue fans should expect Jacobsen to be able to step right in for Zach Edey. He still has work left to do. Jacobsen weighed in at 251 pounds this week in Colorado, after beginning the season at Brewster at 234. While those 17 pounds of presumed muscle is a good start, but it's just that – a start. He will need to keep building up his body before being able to consistently handle the physical rigor of the Big Ten.
Fair point, but did Matt Haarms ever see 250?

Looks like he was listed at 250 his whole time at Purdue but wouldn’t be surprised if he was actually closer to 220-230
He might have been 250, but I don't think he was more than that and while he was never a destination scorer or elite rebounder, he was an effective big ten player in pnr action on offense and impacted the game with his shot-blocking on defense.

He might have been 250, but I don't think he was more than that and while he was never a destination scorer or elite rebounder, he was an effective big ten player in pnr action on offense and impacted the game with his shot-blocking on defense.
If Jacobsen can turn out to be a more polished offensive version of Matt Haarms, I think everyone would be happy. Sounds like that's what he may be.

If Jacobsen can turn out to be a more polished offensive version of Matt Haarms, I think everyone would be happy. Sounds like that's what he may be.
Completely agree. Haarms was a nice complimentary piece, if DJ is better, this team could really cook the next two years. Guard and wing play should be elite and TKR provides a legitimate low-post scoring punch that should be able to play alongside DJ as needed.

Defensively, he put his body in front of drivers and contested plays at the rim, particularly when rotating from the weak-side of the floor. Offensively, he was trying to dunk everything. And even when he couldn't, he showed quick finishing ability around the paint. He worked for deep catches when playing with his back to the basket and then elevated into his baby hooks. He also made a couple of impressive quick passes from various spots on the floor.

Weird article. Says he was better than #9 overall ranked 5 star center all weekend......then calls him top 15 center in class and ranks him 87. Way to go out on a limb there Finkelstein.

I think I underestimated Jacobsen’s readiness due to what I thought was a need to add weight. It will be interesting to see what lineups Painter goes with next year. I could see it going a number of directions including big lineups and small lineups.

I love that Painter will have options. The depth of this team will be a good problem to have.

Currently ranked 86 by 247sports. 3 weeks ago he was ranked 192. Jumping 106 spots is pretty impressive (though it could be because he was under ranked to begin with). Almost makes me think Painter shouldn't be fired! /s

Rankings History for Daniel Jacobsen
I actually don't understand how he can be ranked as low as 86th given the rankings of the players he's outplayed in that training camp. Understand that he reclassed and that he hasn't had a ton of exposure, but he's outplaying a bunch of top 30 players.

I actually don't understand how he can be ranked as low as 86th given the rankings of the players he's outplayed in that training camp. Understand that he reclassed and that he hasn't had a ton of exposure, but he's outplaying a bunch of top 30 players.
It’s cuz he’s going to Purdue…just like catchings dropped from 15 to 30 or whatever 😂

• Haha
Reactions: seminolesboilers
Completely agree. Haarms was a nice complimentary piece, if DJ is better, this team could really cook the next two years. Guard and wing play should be elite and TKR provides a legitimate low-post scoring punch that should be able to play alongside DJ as needed.
Haarms ran the floor very well and someone here has said the DJ moves as well or better. If so that would feed further the thought that they might go more up tempo next year.

Reactions: northside100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT