ADVERTISEMENT

J&C reporting Hall to MSU

Payne’s statement in a vacuum means very little. You don’t know what the accuser said when she was questioned by investigators. In my time as a police officer there were occasions when women walked back their stories under questioning. Most sexual assault victims tell the truth but on occasion their stories change. For the female investigators to tell the prosecutor that no crime was committed and for the prosecutor to tell the same thing to the press makes me believe that Payne’s statement had no bearing on whether or not a crime occurred given the rest of the evidence.

If the Magic cut ties with a player who had been cleared by 3 different investigating agencies (Prosecutors office, Title IX and the office of equal opportunity) then that’s a shame.
Deadspin piece on the Appling and Payne rape from 2010:

https://deadspin.com/5651355/sexual...state-players-why-arent-charges-being-brought

Sexual Assault Allegations Against Two Michigan State Players: Why Aren't Charges Being Brought?
Barry Petchesky9/29/10 4:05pm
17iskwj5227uijpg.jpg

Two MSU players were accused of sexually assaulting a woman on campus in August. Despite a police recommendation to prosecute, and one of the accused players later corroborating the victim's account, the prosecutor's office will not be pursuing the case.

The two players have not and will not be named, as long as they aren't charged with any crime. And it doesn't look like they ever will be, despite what looks to our untrained eyes like plenty of evidence to go forward.

The woman met the two at a dorm orientation meeting, she says in the police report. After a few drinks she returned to the players' room.

Once in the room, the three started playing basketball using a mini-hoop. When the victim missed a basket, one of the men told her she had to remove an article of clothing. The victim agreed and removed her t-shirt because she had a tank top on underneath.

At this point, the victim says, the players began to deliberately miss baskets until they were stripped "completely naked." One of the men allegedly blocked the doorway to the room, while the other "cornered" the victim in the room.

"[The victim] explained to [detectives] that the body language of [the players] suggested she was not free to leave," the report says. "[Redacted] was blocking any escape path to the exit of the dorm room. [The victim] stated that after [redacted] approached the door he turned the lights in the room off and the room went completely dark. At this point, the sexual assault began."

The victim told police the players penetrated her in various positions. The victim told detectives the players allegedly asked her "how does that feel?" and "how do you want it?" The victim says she told the players she didn't want it and gave "other indicators she was not a willing participant."

The victim told police that the players pinned her down, but at one point she freed her arms momentarily and struck one of the players in the face. The player was on top of her and in response to her hitting him, he allegedly said, "Don't. Just relax. C'mon," as he continued to assault her, the report says.

According to the Ingham County Prosecutor, charging a case like this "requires the element of force and/or coercion," and of the prosecutors who reviewed it, "none could find any of these necessary elements." It's almost like they didn't read the police report.

It gets worse: the MSU Police Department asked for and were granted a search warrant, and removed DNA evidence, clothing and used condoms from the players' room. They also interviewed one of the players (the other declined to speak).

He told investigators that when it was clear from the victim's statements that she did not want to have sex, he stopped. However, the other player continued "despite her reluctance and statements that she did not want to continue."

After all this, MSU Police forwarded their report to the prosecutor's office with a recommendation that the two players be charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct 1, the most serious level of assault.

Prosecutors say the decision not to bring charges was a mutual one, made with the victim's agreement. She denies this, though she admits to being wary of the backlash that inevitably hits anyone accusing athletes of sexual assault.

I worry about what would happen if it didn't go through and having to deal with all the publicity and everything that goes with pursuing charges," she said. "But also I am angry. It's just that everybody looks at them as heroes and they're so excited for basketball season that [the players] get off without anybody caring. They haven't even been punished."

Maybe not in a courtroom. But it's a matter of time before the rumor mill, the media, and public opinion put everyone involved through the wringer.

https://deadspin.com/5651355/sexual...state-players-why-arent-charges-being-brought

Sexual Assault Allegations Against Two Michigan State Players: Why Aren't Charges Being Brought?
17iskwj5227uijpg.jpg

Two MSU players were accused of sexually assaulting a woman on campus in August. Despite a police recommendation to prosecute, and one of the accused players later corroborating the victim's account, the prosecutor's office will not be pursuing the case.

The two players have not and will not be named, as long as they aren't charged with any crime. And it doesn't look like they ever will be, despite what looks to our untrained eyes like plenty of evidence to go forward.

The woman met the two at a dorm orientation meeting, she says in the police report. After a few drinks she returned to the players' room.

Once in the room, the three started playing basketball using a mini-hoop. When the victim missed a basket, one of the men told her she had to remove an article of clothing. The victim agreed and removed her t-shirt because she had a tank top on underneath.

At this point, the victim says, the players began to deliberately miss baskets until they were stripped "completely naked." One of the men allegedly blocked the doorway to the room, while the other "cornered" the victim in the room.

"[The victim] explained to [detectives] that the body language of [the players] suggested she was not free to leave," the report says. "[Redacted] was blocking any escape path to the exit of the dorm room. [The victim] stated that after [redacted] approached the door he turned the lights in the room off and the room went completely dark. At this point, the sexual assault began."

The victim told police the players penetrated her in various positions. The victim told detectives the players allegedly asked her "how does that feel?" and "how do you want it?" The victim says she told the players she didn't want it and gave "other indicators she was not a willing participant."

The victim told police that the players pinned her down, but at one point she freed her arms momentarily and struck one of the players in the face. The player was on top of her and in response to her hitting him, he allegedly said, "Don't. Just relax. C'mon," as he continued to assault her, the report says.

According to the Ingham County Prosecutor, charging a case like this "requires the element of force and/or coercion," and of the prosecutors who reviewed it, "none could find any of these necessary elements." It's almost like they didn't read the police report.

It gets worse: the MSU Police Department asked for and were granted a search warrant, and removed DNA evidence, clothing and used condoms from the players' room. They also interviewed one of the players (the other declined to speak).

He told investigators that when it was clear from the victim's statements that she did not want to have sex, he stopped. However, the other player continued "despite her reluctance and statements that she did not want to continue."

After all this, MSU Police forwarded their report to the prosecutor's office with a recommendation that the two players be charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct 1, the most serious level of assault.

Prosecutors say the decision not to bring charges was a mutual one, made with the victim's agreement. She denies this, though she admits to being wary of the backlash that inevitably hits anyone accusing athletes of sexual assault.

I worry about what would happen if it didn't go through and having to deal with all the publicity and everything that goes with pursuing charges," she said. "But also I am angry. It's just that everybody looks at them as heroes and they're so excited for basketball season that [the players] get off without anybody caring. They haven't even been punished."

Maybe not in a courtroom. But it's a matter of time before the rumor mill, the media, and public opinion put everyone involved through the wringer.

The problem with this report is that it doesn’t include anything from the prosecutors office. The prosecutor was a man with a UM degree that had front row seats to UM basketball games. He prosecuted everything that came to his office with regards to MSU athletes. He was a not a friend of the program. We have no idea what went on when the victim was interviewed by the prosecutor’s investigators. We’re only given a one sided view in this article. I’ve been on the investigatory side and received police reports that looked like slam dunks only to get a very different story during an interview. I’m just not seeing the upside for the prosecutor to not prosecute what would have been a very high profile case unless he didn’t have one. Hence the “no crime was committed” explanation to the press.

But let’s go further. What was Izzo to do once the players were completely cleared by the county prosecutors office? How is Izzo dirty if he’s told “no crime was committed” by three different investigating agencies. You have to remember that this was also the determination of the title IX office AND the Office of Equal Opportunity. How did 3 different investigations get it wrong and what makes Izzo “dirty” when they all give him the same outcome?

Reactions: barneys boy
Scumbag coach, shit town, surrounding by criminal athletes, sexual assault U., terrible academics, won’t see the floor, get recruited over, more former players in jail than NBA, coach can’t past round of 32 lately. But hey, have fun kid!
Cmon man. First off, Purdue is a great school. Ranked top 20 for public schools?

MSU is around #35. Hardly “shit academics”.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

And don’t get me started on West Lafayette. East Lansing is admittedly in the middle of the pack for big ten college towns behind Madison, Ann Arbor, Iowa City, and Bloomington, but West Lafayette is at the bottom of the barrel for big ten towns, right next to Champaign.

(Rutgers and Maryland are not big ten schools).

Purdue is a great school, strong basketball program. I even like their football team and especially their coach.

But don’t pull my leg about West Lafayette.

Reactions: barneys boy
Didn't Payne sort of admit to it though? He was quoted as saying "I could see how she felt like she couldn't leave" Also the magic cut ties with him pretty damn quick after the issue became news against MSU.

I don't remember appling commenting on the issue while in jail for other reasons. Has he since he's been out?

Didn't know Walton was accused of sexual assault as well as hittin a woman in the face until I just looked it up. He got put on leave so what's the latest on him? Is he off leave yet?

The questions I'm asking I'm genuinely curious to what you have to say.
No kidding Payne lost his job with the magic and Walton with the G League squad. Look at how toxic the twitter mob is these days. Those clubs had no choice but to axe them or else they would get excoriated.

17iskwj5227uijpg.jpg

So the prosecutor, a university of Michigan alum no less, chose to not press charges.

What should izzo do? Kick them off the team when the area prosecutor deemed no criminal act took place?

Untrue on all accounts. It’s your right to be upset about losing a good player but don’t disparage a university to fit your dim narrative. Purdue has been at odds with MSU for a long time with misplaced hatred because you lost a couple of recruits. If Izzo is dirty as you all claim then why was your legendary coach such good buddies with him? They say people tend to attract likeminded people.
Great point and for this clown to compare Purdue basketball to Izzo and what he's accomplished is laughable. Painter vs Izzo's 7 Final Fours, tough choice for Hall to make. SMFH

Can someone tell me when the last time M$U was a clean program? A black eye for the whole league......shame.

Scumbag coach, shit town, surrounding by criminal athletes, sexual assault U., terrible academics, won’t see the floor, get recruited over, more former players in jail than NBA, coach can’t past round of 32 lately. But hey, have fun kid!

How many former Izzo players are in jail?

I count 0 but maybe I’m missing someone. I know appling was a couple years back.

I personally like the way Izzo punished his players accused of rape (Payne and appling) and his coach who hit women (Walton) by not doin a damn thing. Walton even lived with him correct?

As far as recruiting I can't prove a lot of the things I see him accused of doing so innocent until proven guilty but didn't it come out that bridges got paid? Idk how you clear someone and also donate to charity the amount that was said to be given. Am I misunderstanding that one?

Can't say nothing nice don't say nothing at all so I'll give him one compliment. He can wear the shit out of a ribbon.

DA held a press conference saying “no crime was ever committed” regarding appling and Payne. Now was he wrong? Idk. But kicking off or suspending a kid who the law says did nothing wrong sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Walton story was debunked. Multiple witnesses including 2 of the woman’s witnesses that she was with say she confused Walton with another black man.

LJ Scott been arrested like 7 times and still plays on Saturday. msu is a shitshow

Hahaha LJ Scott hasn’t been arrested once. He certainly isn’t a good driver but none of his citations have been for a DUI. Mostly minor traffic infractions and not having proper documentation.

Not sure why so many M$U fans are over here defending their school.

I couldn’t care less what they think of my school and I doubt they will change anyone’s opinion that M$U is the barnacle of the BIG

Reactions: mathboy
Not sure why so many M$U fans are over here defending their school.

I couldn’t care less what they think of my school and I doubt they will change anyone’s opinion that M$U is the barnacle of the BIG

Can you explain the M$U thing?

I’ve never seen it from anyone else other than people on this free board.

Can you explain the M$U thing?

I’ve never seen it from anyone else other than people on this free board.

Branden Dawson can’t afford unofficial visits to in state schools yet somehow makes multiple trips this M$U.......hmmmm

Branden Dawson can’t afford unofficial visits to in state schools yet somehow makes multiple trips this M$U.......hmmmm

I mean MSU was closer to his home than IU.

Seems like a really strange thing to be mad about all these years later. Maybe he didn’t want to visit Purdue.

So the prosecutor, a university of Michigan alum no less, chose to not press charges.

What should izzo do? Kick them off the team when the area prosecutor deemed no criminal act took place?

The answer to your question is "yes!" Izzo is not bound by the prosector's decision in any manner. A coach can kick a player off the team for any reason he likes. Being consistently late for team meetings or buses can get you kicked off a team. So can mouthing off to a coach. Neither of those is a crime.

MSU is a place where quite a lot of dirty stuff has happened. Are you going to maintain that the culture there does not prove fertile ground? It does not seem to be as prevalent elsewhere in the conference.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I mean MSU was closer to his home than IU.

Seems like a really strange thing to be mad about all these years later. Maybe he didn’t want to visit Purdue.

Well scumbag has been suspended for illegal recruiting so I won’t put anything past him

Wow, I had heard that Purdue fans absolutely hate MSU and Izzo/Dantonio. Well, I guess it is true.

Izzo/Dantonio are both men of integrity.

You lost a recruit. Deal with it and grow up.

Reactions: Keric9823 and JRMSU
First of all, I don’t appreciate the crowd of MSU slappies that feel the need to come over here and crow about getting some high school kid to commit to their sports program. MSU is a good school (not great), with what seems to be one of the cleaner sports programs in the BIG. Given MSU’s past accomplishments and HOF coach, is it so unexpected that they might win a recruiting battle or two?

Evidently, they are so insecure that they succumbed to the puriel need to post the equivalent of “nana nana boo boo”. You MSU boys see how immature and silly it looks to us? No wonder you’ve provoked the reactions you have seen. Good God, get some maturity, or at least don’t show us that you still talk in a high voice because your ‘boys’ haven’t dropped yet.

Reactions: zigybean
First of all, I don’t appreciate the crowd of MSU slappies that feel the need to come over here and crow about getting some high school kid to commit to their sports program. MSU is a good school (not great), with what seems to be one of the cleaner sports programs in the BIG. Given MSU’s past accomplishments and HOF coach, is it so unexpected that they might win a recruiting battle or two?

Evidently, they are so insecure that they succumbed to the puriel need to post the equivalent of “nana nana boo boo”. You MSU boys see how immature and silly it looks to us? No wonder you’ve provoked the reactions you have seen. Good God, get some maturity, or at least don’t show us that you still talk in a high voice because your ‘boys’ haven’t dropped yet.
Wouldn't have come over here if Purdue fans weren't lobbing bullshit attacks at Izzo & co.

Reactions: Keric9823
Umm. you had to come here to see it, no? Do you sneak around your neighbors' houses and listen at their windows to see if they are talking about you?

Ya because eavesdropping on someone else’s property and visiting a public forum on the internet are definitely the same thing???

I personally like the way Izzo punished his players accused of rape (Payne and appling) and his coach who hit women (Walton) by not doin a damn thing. Walton even lived with him correct?

As far as recruiting I can't prove a lot of the things I see him accused of doing so innocent until proven guilty but didn't it come out that bridges got paid? Idk how you clear someone and also donate to charity the amount that was said to be given. Am I misunderstanding that one?

Can't say nothing nice don't say nothing at all so I'll give him one compliment. He can wear the shit out of a ribbon.
Miles Bridges mom’s diner was paid for. That was it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT