ADVERTISEMENT

Ivey Usage / Monty Williams firing

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
The horrible record didn’t help, but usage of Ivey was a sticking point between management and coach Williams. From USA TODAY:

Ownership's confidence that Williams was the right fit for the team dissolved amid a 2-29 start to the season. His usage of Jaden Ivey early in the season — opting to bring the second-year guard off the bench behind the since-waived Killian Hayes — and refusal to stagger Ivey with Cunningham are among several decisions that confused team officials.

"We require change," Gores told local media members in December. "We’re not doing well. As far as where we’re going in getting this set of players and flexibility and all that stuff, I think that stuff and the work to get there is still there. But we have to assess what’s not working here. I’m down to Monty and I talking about rotations. I don’t normally do that."

In January, Williams acknowledged he was questioned during an organizational meeting about his handling of Ivey, and reluctance to use him as a primary ball-handler. It was a peek into the disconnect between the coach and the front office/ownership that has now culminated with his dismissal.

Detroit was a poorly constructed team. Its three best players all played the same position!

It’s like the Bucks trading for Damion rather than keeping Holiday. You can’t blame the coach for the GM’s mistake.

Reactions: pboiler18
I hope they get a coach that can blend JI and Cunningham on the court with much better results than they have provided with the last two coaches. I have my doubts.

The horrible record didn’t help, but usage of Ivey was a sticking point between management and coach Williams. From USA TODAY:

Ownership's confidence that Williams was the right fit for the team dissolved amid a 2-29 start to the season. His usage of Jaden Ivey early in the season — opting to bring the second-year guard off the bench behind the since-waived Killian Hayes — and refusal to stagger Ivey with Cunningham are among several decisions that confused team officials.

"We require change," Gores told local media members in December. "We’re not doing well. As far as where we’re going in getting this set of players and flexibility and all that stuff, I think that stuff and the work to get there is still there. But we have to assess what’s not working here. I’m down to Monty and I talking about rotations. I don’t normally do that."

In January, Williams acknowledged he was questioned during an organizational meeting about his handling of Ivey, and reluctance to use him as a primary ball-handler. It was a peek into the disconnect between the coach and the front office/ownership that has now culminated with his dismissal.
Ivey May be traded the GM the one who didn’t like Moore may trade him

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I have no idea why they backed the Brinks truck up for Williams in the first place. That was just silly.

Detroit was a poorly constructed team. Its three best players all played the same position!

It’s like the Bucks trading for Damion rather than keeping Holiday. You can’t blame the coach for the GM’s mistake.
He was starting Killian Freaking Hayes, who cannot shoot a basketball, instead of Jaden.

Fireable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT