ADVERTISEMENT

IU's Allen better than Brohm?

Why don’t you tell us more about why the Music City Bowl has significantly impacted our program?
Anytime you have such a historical loss, it impacts many things. Looking at Purdue's performance since that day, it's very easy to conclude that the bowl game disaster has negatively impacted the Purdue crew.

Marshall is the real deal, and they have been for a couple of decades.

As numerous people have pointed out, IU has a solid program. Allen took over an established roster. IU also has a long track record of not beating teams with winning records.

Beat OSU. Beat Wisky and/or Northwester. Win the B1G. Then IU fans will have something to crow about.

Claiming that IU put Penn State on their current path is laughable. That PSU team did everything they could to screw up the game vs IU. IU got the win. That isn't what defined PSU's season.

UM was just destroyed by a UW team that had been off for 2 weeks due to the Wuhan flu.

This CFB season is an aberration. IU better take advantage of it, or they are who everyone knows they are... the worst program in the history of CFB.
We were the worst football program in History, but we are making a lot of first this year to put us above you guys. We play who's on our schedule.. Beating Purdue this year will be like beating another losing team.

We were the worst football program in History, but we are making a lot of first this year to put us above you guys. We play who's on our schedule.. Beating Purdue this year will be like beating another losing team.

Honestly, I hope you guys beat Ohio State.

That will make losing to us sting that much more. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85

You still crave validation.

Not a good look for "fans" of the worst program in the history of CFB.

(Hey... Notre Dame is doing pretty well this year. Dilemma...)

Anytime you have such a historical loss, it impacts many things. Looking at Purdue's performance since that day, it's very easy to conclude that the bowl game disaster has negatively impacted the Purdue crew.

Lol. If you had to point to one specific instance it’d probably be Sindelar and Moore getting hurt on the same play in game 4 last year. Music City bowl doesn’t mean a damn thing.

You still are the worst program in history. Need many more good years to change that.

a couple of data points to consider.

Both brohm and Allen arrived at the same year.

People keep saying the cupboard was bare for brohm, but his best year so far was using Hazell's left over players, so it couldn't have been that bare. Was the team Allen inherited better than what brohm inherited? I highly doubt it.

we all can talk about how brohm used Louisville to negotiate a new contract. But, I have to ask. Nobody is talking about Allen's contract. What is Allen making? Should brohm be making that much more than Allen?

let's talk about team progression. if records were identical, is it better to have the better record your first year or your last year? Allen appears to be getting better each year. Brohm appears to be getting worse.

and let's talk about the future. That's what Trump does. He's always talking about the future. You can't say what the future will be like when comparing people or teams. You have to look at past performance and the now. Who knows what either team is going to look like over the next 10 years. So don't use that to say we may be worse now, but we'll be greater in the future. Purdue got a commitment from a 2 star TE and lost a 3 star TE to Kentucky. Brohm had a chance to lure in Cronk. But he went elsewhere. brohm had a chance to lure in Northwestern's QB. Who is to say Brohm's recruiting will improve in the future? Not many of brohm's 4 star recruits have lived up to their hype. let's say i was expecting more.

Allen has taken a doormat team at IU, and made them a winner. Brohm has taken a doormat team at Purdue, and generated some early success, and has kind of stagnated.

We at purdue keep talking about injuries as reasons for losses.. IU has also had just as many injuries to their key players.

We at purdue keep talking about young players and inexperience. These are all players with the exception of about 5 that brohm recruited. the same is true for Allen. How many more years are we going to use the excuse our players are young and inexperienced? Players at Alabama and OSU don't stick around for 4 years.

I'm concerned about player development. It would appear that the players who came to Purdue had a higher floor than the ones who went to IU. But it appears, the IU players have developed more, and also faster.

as for filling up the stadium, that's about the fans, not the coaches. When comparing coaches, that should not be a comparison factor.

If you were to ask somebody with zero bias from either school for an opinion, and looking at two schools that were complete doormats 4 years ago, they would probably say Allen has done a lot better job with the talent he was given. and looking at their salaries, Allen has provided a lot more bang for the buck.

I don't really care how much brohm is being paid. The end result is not not much better than what Hope provided Purdue. Their overall record is about the same. and the number of players that went pro is also about the same.

On the other hand, Allen is being paid a lot less, and it appears IU may have their best coach in the past 4 decades.

It would be very interesting to see the responses if this question was posed on the Rivals national site instead of Purdue's site. I believe some of you would be very disappointed to read other's viewpoints. I could just see the responses of fans from SEC or Pac 12 teams as to who is the better coach. Some of you get pretty defensive about your alma mater. At auburn, a coach going .500 his first two years would be fired. but at Purdue, he's given an extension and becomes one of the top 10 paid coaches in America . and for what? So Purdue can be mediocre? going 6-6 and to some bowl game nobody ever heard about is not really something to brag about, other than to Purdue alums who suffered under agasi.
You are one of the worst posters of All -time. You need to stick to cross country , track , or whatever none team sport your son coaches. You have no clue how it works. Hope was also here for a year and allowed to recruit for a full year as coach in waiting. Darryl Hazel absolutely destroyed what little football was left at Purdue. So I know when people start to get Alzheimer's they revert back to their child and childhood memories. So maybe that’s what’s happened here with you and you’ve have off 2013-2016 Purdue football. I know most of us here would be fine with you going over and cheering for IU full time , because you aren’t a true Boilermaker fan.

Open line -21...IU and the points or OSU. Who would you take? 21 is a lot for a top 10 team to get😉

IU should not be rated in the top ten. They shouldn't even be rated in the top 20. Somewhere between 21 and 25 makes sense to me.

And you have to remember, the line is set to get an equal amount of action on both teams. It is not a prediction although I could very easily see OSU covering the spread.

College football fans will learn a lot this Saturday about how "good" IU really is.

I hope IU is competitive and think they will be. I'd take IU and the points.

Reactions: Poprudy
Allen’s a slam dunk on this. It’s obvious to anyone who’s paid attention to the trajectory of the two programs recently. IU has gotten progressively better each year whereas PU has stagnated. They’re still runnin’ on fumes from that OSU upset a couple years ago...

• Love
Reactions: td75
Allen’s a slam dunk on this. It’s obvious to anyone who’s paid attention to the trajectory of the two programs recently. IU has gotten progressively better each year whereas PU has stagnated. They’re still runnin’ on fumes from that OSU upset a couple years ago...
IU has beaten no one this year. Penn State, Michigan, MSU and Rutgers all suck. Allen is 1-2 against Brohm.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough about IU. Their next opponent has more wins than their first four combined. Let that sink in. Until they beat a team with a winning record it’s all a house of cards.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Allen couldn’t make bowl games for 3 seasons after being given the reigns to a team coming off back-to-back bowls. Purdue had a down year last year due to an insane number of injuries to key players. Lol if you call that stagnating. That OSU upset is still 10x better than any win Allen has gotten.

Allen couldn’t make bowl games for 3 seasons after being given the reigns to a team coming off back-to-back bowls. Purdue had a down year last year due to an insane number of injuries to key players. Lol if you call that stagnating. That OSU upset is still 10x better than any win Allen has gotten.
6-6 and 5-7 are not meaningfully different records. It isn't like Allen took over a team that was winning 8 games and won four. And he only missed a bowl game the first two years, not three. Last year was his third and it was our best in decades.

6-6 and 5-7 are not meaningfully different records. It isn't like Allen took over a team that was winning 8 games and won four. And he only missed a bowl game the first two years, not three. Last year was his third and it was our best in decades.

You're correct that you weren't winning 8 games but he did take over a team on pretty solid ground (especially by IU standards) and it took him more than 2 years to elevate the program from where he inherited it. It's extremely difficult to compare Brohm and Allen considering the situations they inherited.

Reactions: Inspector100
You're correct that you weren't winning 8 games but he did take over a team on pretty solid ground (especially by IU standards) and it took him more than 2 years to elevate the program from where he inherited it. It's extremely difficult to compare Brohm and Allen considering the situations they inherited.
I can honestly say, as an IU guy, that I'm not even sure Allen even elevated the program substantially. Last year IU won the 50/50 games (Nebraska, Maryland, Purdue) that they've historically lost, but they still lost two other 50/50 games in MSU & Tennessee. IU is definitely on a steady trajectory up over the last 5 years, but Allen has been a lot more of a catalyst culturally within the program than he's been as a revolutionary scheme changer, for example.

This season, they're winning games they were expected to (MSU & Rutgers) and ones they were NOT expected to in PSU & UM, which is a pretty big deal.

I'm not convinced PSU & UM are as bad as their records suggest. And being in a conference only slate really skews things because there's no outside games to use for comparison. And if you look at the conference records year over year, there are usually 3 or 4 teams with significant winning records in conference, 4 or 5 at 4-5 or 5-4, and the rest with significant losing records. So I'll wait for the season to play out before casting aspersion on the records of teams IU is winning/losing to.

Last edited:
Allen is definitely getting the better of Brohm in the here and now. When Brohm leaves Bloomington without the Bucket, it'll be clear who the better coach is...

Allen has a 4* qb in McCulley coming in and has a very good shot at Tayven Jackson in 2022. Jackson is also a 4* qb. Allen appears to be red hot while Brohm is just warm. Indiana will have a tremendous team coming back next year, too...

Indiana's wins look better, too. Even though UM, MSU, and PSU are struggling, it doesn't detract from the fact we beat the Big Boys all in the same year. I'll go out on a limb and say Purdue has never beaten those teams in the same year???

• Haha
Allen is definitely getting the better of Brohm in the here and now. When Brohm leaves Bloomington without the Bucket, it'll be clear who the better coach is...

Allen has a 4* qb in McCulley coming in and has a very good shot at Tayven Jackson in 2022. Jackson is also a 4* qb. Allen appears to be red hot while Brohm is just warm. Indiana will have a tremendous team coming back next year, too...

Indiana's wins look better, too. Even though UM, MSU, and PSU are struggling, it doesn't detract from the fact we beat the Big Boys all in the same year. I'll go out on a limb and say Purdue has never beaten those teams in the same year???
Purdue beat OSU,Michigan and Northwestern in 2000 when thet were all good as Purdue,Michigan and Northwestern were tri champs that year,IU has wins over UM,MSU and PSU in a year when they are historically bad,so its not as significant as it would be most years.It makes me think of how Purdues win over IU in 2000 to clinch the Rose Bowl trip wasnt as impressive as their win in Gloomington was in 1989,because the 89 Hoosier team was supposed to be good.The 89 Boilermaker team was bad,but that year they upset IU,denying them the Bucket,a Bowl game,and possibly kept Anthony Thompson from winning the Heisman.

Reactions: Inspector100

Purdue also has Brady Allen who is a bonafide stud committed for 2022.

MSU isn’t considered one of the big boys btw.

I feel bad for Brady. Gibson Southern was down somewhat this year (even though they played an ambitious 3A schedule) and he wasn't able to shine the way he might have with a better team around him. He's certainly more of a prototype QB as opposed to a phenomenal athlete QB (like your guy Jackson) who can take over a game entirely on his own.

To date, IU is 4-0....an unheard of feat for the Loosiers. But lets look at reality....the teams they've defeated all have losing records...something to the tune of a combined 3-13 record and all in the bottom four of the Eastern Division. While Allen is quite the Tom Crean clone on cleats, he's still not won a game worth bragging about. Now if they go on the road to OSU and win, they can brag about something, but until they do that, they're just another over-hyped (great press), and over-rated college football team. That said, Penix is the real deal and will be gone.

MSU has won more Big Ten Championship games and has more CFP appearances than every team from the West combined but you do make a good point that they are/were probably only the 4th best program in the East.

MSU has won more Big Ten Championship games and has more CFP appearances than every team from the West combined but you do make a good point that they are/were probably only the 4th best program in the East.
MSU is usually good but not this season.Its been the perfect storm for IU so far,because only the Hoosiers and Buckeyes are good this year in the East.

Congrats on beating 4 bad teams. It’s better than losing to them.

Congrats on the moral victory, I guess.
Who said anything about a moral victory? It was pointed out that IU's first "real game" was vs OSU---and I agree. So I pointed out in that first "real game", IU played well...And has a chance to win. Nothing more---nothing less.

As numerous people have pointed out, IU has a solid program. Allen took over an established roster. IU also has a long track record of not beating teams with winning records.

This CFB season is an aberration. IU better take advantage of it, or they are who everyone knows they are... the worst program in the history of CFB.
1. Allen has done a terrific job. Has built a solid foundation....Hoosiers are 14-6 so far, over the past 2 seasons...including 10-5 in the Big 10. Recruiting is getting better, as well.

2. IU has a history of losing to everyone---not just teams with winning records. Been a terrible program for decades. Irrelevant to now, though.

3. No panic, hurry, etc, etc...for IU to "take advantage" of this season. Allen has built a program. I don't see that disappearing after this season.

Who said anything about a moral victory? It was pointed out that IU's first "real game" was vs OSU---and I agree. So I pointed out in that first "real game", IU played well...And has a chance to win. Nothing more---nothing less.
Played well? IU lost. Bragging about a loss is a moral victory. Very IU football of you though.

Played well? IU lost. Bragging about a loss is a moral victory. Very IU football of you though.
Again, where did I brag? You said---IU's first real game was vs OSU. I agree. You said such with the insinuation of---"gonna find out where/who IU is"---Right? I just responded to what you said/insinuated....Nothing more...nothing less.

TBH, i felt we should have won the damn game. Not happy at all with the loss.

Allen is 23-21 at IU and Brohm is 19-24 at Purdue

It's hard to argue that Brohm is better
Beyond his superior ethics, Brohm is 2-1 against Rev. Coach Love - including a triple OT loss with a 4th string QB and no Rondale.

The best way to compare is head-to-head, right?

Again, where did I brag? You said---IU's first real game was vs OSU. I agree. You said such with the insinuation of---"gonna find out where/who IU is"---Right? I just responded to what you said/insinuated....Nothing more...nothing less.

TBH, i felt we should have won the damn game. Not happy at all with the loss.
You said “ Played OSU very well”.

IU lost. Who cares how well they played? And it was more OSU trying to give the game away than IU playing well.

Beyond his superior ethics, Brohm is 2-1 against Rev. Coach Love - including a triple OT loss with a 4th string QB and no Rondale.

The best way to compare is head-to-head, right?

Brohm has losses to Rutgers x2, Eastern Michigan, Nevada, and a no-show against Illinois last year. He’s also 1-3 against Fleck. I don’t think Allen has a lost a game that he was supposed to win in his 4 years.

Brohm has losses to Rutgers x2, Eastern Michigan, Nevada, and a no-show against Illinois last year. He’s also 1-3 against Fleck. I don’t think Allen has a lost a game that he was supposed to win in his 4 years.
Ethics ...and head-head record.

Reactions: JRowdy20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT