ADVERTISEMENT

IU's Allen better than Brohm?

ahh I saw a depth chart posted somewhere last week that listed him as RB3 but did not realize it was not an official one. apologies.

king-size-dunce-me-irl-28833621.png

Fair enough, apology and dunce cap not needed(but funny anyway). I'd imagine any depth charts that were put out may have been speculative and following when the injury to Doerue was known. The interesting depth charts in the near future will be that of wisconsin. Probably "WAG" listed after half of the positions. (Wild-Ass-Guess)

As much as it pains me to say it, at this point Allen is by far a better coach than Brohm. Brohm's supposed strength, the offense, is absolutely pathetic.

I think Brohm is the better coach. Allen has got real lucky but he does seem to get his kids to respond. This is a weird year and I doubt Allen keeps it up

Reactions: indyogb
I think Brohm is the better coach. Allen has got real lucky but he does seem to get his kids to respond. This is a weird year and I doubt Allen keeps it up
Exactly what has Allen been "real lucky", of? I agree its a weird year----But what does that have to do with keeping it up? Indiana was 8-4 last year...recruiting gets better and better. Penix is very good. He's building depth.

Still not sure what is lucky about hammering Rutgers, Michigan and MSU....I mean I get the PSU game/ending. But hell, that happens all the time.

Not sure who the better coach is---and really don't give two shits. Ya'll like Brohm---We like Allen. All the matters really. IMO, both are pretty good.

Still not sure what is lucky about hammering Rutgers, Michigan and MSU....I mean I get the PSU game/ending. But hell, that happens all the time.

Exactly. And IU has been on the wrong side of those games SO many times before, they were bound to have one go their way.

But you’re main premise is correct. No Purdue fan is going to say Allen is a better coach and vice versa with Indiana. Both coaches in my opinion are complete opposites. Allen is a rah-rah leader who wears his emotions on his sleeve, while Brohm is the X’s and O’s offensive guru with a stern poker face. Brohm did a tremendous job from day 1 getting Hazel’s players to buy-in that netted some early and very surprising results and parlayed that into some great recruiting results while Allen instilled an entirely different culture and brand that you’re now finally starting to see pay dividends.

I just hope both programs can continue to elevate their brand so Bucket game implications take on more meaning.

As much as it pains me to say it, at this point Allen is by far a better coach than Brohm. Brohm's supposed strength, the offense, is absolutely pathetic.
Wrong.Purdue has beaten Iowa and lost a tough one to Northwestern who have combined for six wins.IUs four opponents have racked up three victories.The Hoosiers have done well,but the oppsition has been awful.If Indianas offense is so great,they would have put up a lot more than 24 points today,as they came up empty on a few drives deep in MSU territory.If IU beats Ohio State next week or Wisconsin in three weeks,I will be very impressed.

Exactly what has Allen been "real lucky", of? I agree its a weird year----But what does that have to do with keeping it up? Indiana was 8-4 last year...recruiting gets better and better. Penix is very good. He's building depth.

Not sure who the better coach is---and really don't give two shits. Ya'll like Brohm---We like Allen. All the matters really. IMO, both are pretty good.
Who has IU actually beaten? Four terrible teams.

A very strong case is currently on display for Tom Allen being the better coach. This goes back to last year and what Tom did then, plus his work from this year.

Allen has beaten teams that while struggling, are LOADED with 4* & 5*/NFL talent. It's amazing the job Allen's done in Bloomington.

I still say that the Music City Bowl meltdown a couple years ago, has impacted Purdue and hurt Brohm's coaching confidence.

A very strong case is currently on display for Tom Allen being the better coach. This goes back to last year and what Tom did then, plus his work from this year.

Allen has beaten teams that while struggling, are LOADED with 4* & 5*/NFL talent. It's amazing the job Allen's done in Bloomington.

I still say that the Music City Bowl meltdown a couple years ago, has impacted Purdue and hurt Brohm's coaching confidence.
IU has beaten 4 awful teams. Who cares?

And you are wrong.Are you inside of Brohms head?How would you know?Enjoy the drubbing your Loosiers will get in Columbus next week?I know I will.

Allen has Indiana ahead of Purdue, as they always should've been. Indiana finally made a commitment to football, something that they never ever did before. We see with that commitment comes better facilities, better recruits, better coaching and better victories.

It takes the right coach to be successful at these places. It appears that Indiana has their man after many years of searching. Brohm isn't a Purdue man, he's a Louisville man. I just am not too sure he will ultimately stay around Purdue. Frankly, the shine has worn off Jeff Brohm. Getting your brains beaten in down in Nashville by Auburn really slowed your program down, that's a fact.

You saying it’s a fact doesn’t actually make it a fact. And Indiana shouldn’t have always been ahead of Purdue. That’s nonsense.

Reactions: Purdue85

Why you continue to act like a bowl game 2 years ago has any impact on the program is laughable. It’s literally not based in fact at all. Please elaborate on why that’s such a big deal.

Reactions: BBG
a couple of data points to consider.

Both brohm and Allen arrived at the same year.

People keep saying the cupboard was bare for brohm, but his best year so far was using Hazell's left over players, so it couldn't have been that bare. Was the team Allen inherited better than what brohm inherited? I highly doubt it.

we all can talk about how brohm used Louisville to negotiate a new contract. But, I have to ask. Nobody is talking about Allen's contract. What is Allen making? Should brohm be making that much more than Allen?

let's talk about team progression. if records were identical, is it better to have the better record your first year or your last year? Allen appears to be getting better each year. Brohm appears to be getting worse.

and let's talk about the future. That's what Trump does. He's always talking about the future. You can't say what the future will be like when comparing people or teams. You have to look at past performance and the now. Who knows what either team is going to look like over the next 10 years. So don't use that to say we may be worse now, but we'll be greater in the future. Purdue got a commitment from a 2 star TE and lost a 3 star TE to Kentucky. Brohm had a chance to lure in Cronk. But he went elsewhere. brohm had a chance to lure in Northwestern's QB. Who is to say Brohm's recruiting will improve in the future? Not many of brohm's 4 star recruits have lived up to their hype. let's say i was expecting more.

Allen has taken a doormat team at IU, and made them a winner. Brohm has taken a doormat team at Purdue, and generated some early success, and has kind of stagnated.

We at purdue keep talking about injuries as reasons for losses.. IU has also had just as many injuries to their key players.

We at purdue keep talking about young players and inexperience. These are all players with the exception of about 5 that brohm recruited. the same is true for Allen. How many more years are we going to use the excuse our players are young and inexperienced? Players at Alabama and OSU don't stick around for 4 years.

I'm concerned about player development. It would appear that the players who came to Purdue had a higher floor than the ones who went to IU. But it appears, the IU players have developed more, and also faster.

as for filling up the stadium, that's about the fans, not the coaches. When comparing coaches, that should not be a comparison factor.

If you were to ask somebody with zero bias from either school for an opinion, and looking at two schools that were complete doormats 4 years ago, they would probably say Allen has done a lot better job with the talent he was given. and looking at their salaries, Allen has provided a lot more bang for the buck.

I don't really care how much brohm is being paid. The end result is not not much better than what Hope provided Purdue. Their overall record is about the same. and the number of players that went pro is also about the same.

On the other hand, Allen is being paid a lot less, and it appears IU may have their best coach in the past 4 decades.

It would be very interesting to see the responses if this question was posed on the Rivals national site instead of Purdue's site. I believe some of you would be very disappointed to read other's viewpoints. I could just see the responses of fans from SEC or Pac 12 teams as to who is the better coach. Some of you get pretty defensive about your alma mater. At auburn, a coach going .500 his first two years would be fired. but at Purdue, he's given an extension and becomes one of the top 10 paid coaches in America . and for what? So Purdue can be mediocre? going 6-6 and to some bowl game nobody ever heard about is not really something to brag about, other than to Purdue alums who suffered under agasi.

Reactions: Dandelion1972

People keep saying the cupboard was bare for brohm, but his best year so far was using Hazell's left over players, so it couldn't have been that bare. Was the team Allen inherited better than what brohm inherited? I highly doubt it.

we all can talk about how brohm used Louisville to negotiate a new contract. But, I have to ask. Nobody is talking about Allen's contract. What is Allen making? Should brohm be making that much more than Allen?

let's talk about team progression. if records were identical, is it better to have the better record your first year or your last year? Allen appears to be getting better each year. Brohm appears to be getting worse.

and let's talk about the future. That's what Trump does. He's always talking about the future. You can't say what the future will be like when comparing people or teams. You have to look at past performance and the now. Who knows what either team is going to look like over the next 10 years. So don't use that to say we may be worse now, but we'll be greater in the future. Purdue got a commitment from a 2 star TE and lost a 3 star TE to Kentucky. Brohm had a chance to lure in Cronk. But he went elsewhere. brohm had a chance to lure in Northwestern's QB. Who is to say Brohm's recruiting will improve in the future? Not many of brohm's 4 star recruits have lived up to their hype. let's say i was expecting more.

Allen has taken a doormat team at IU, and made them a winner. Brohm has taken a doormat team at Purdue, and generated some early success, and has kind of stagnated.

We at purdue keep talking about injuries as reasons for losses.. IU has also had just as many injuries to their key players.

We at purdue keep talking about young players and inexperience. These are all players with the exception of about 5 that brohm recruited. the same is true for Allen. How many more years are we going to use the excuse our players are young and inexperienced? Players at Alabama and OSU don't stick around for 4 years.

I'm concerned about player development. It would appear that the players who came to Purdue had a higher floor than the ones who went to IU. But it appears, the IU players have developed more, and also faster.

as for filling up the stadium, that's about the fans, not the coaches. When comparing coaches, that should not be a comparison factor.

If you were to ask somebody with zero bias from either school for an opinion, and looking at two schools that were complete doormats 4 years ago, they would probably say Allen has done a lot better job with the talent he was given. and looking at their salaries, Allen has provided a lot more bang for the buck.

I don't really care how much brohm is being paid. The end result is not not much better than what Hope provided Purdue. Their overall record is about the same. and the number of players that went pro is also about the same.

On the other hand, Allen is being paid a lot less, and it appears IU may have their best coach in the past 4 decades.

It would be very interesting to see the responses if this question was posed on the Rivals national site instead of Purdue's site. I believe some of you would be very disappointed to read other's viewpoints. I could just see the responses of fans from SEC or Pac 12 teams as to who is the better coach. Some of you get pretty defensive about your alma mater. At auburn, a coach going .500 his first two years would be fired. but at Purdue, he's given an extension and becomes one of the top 10 paid coaches in America . and for what? So Purdue can be mediocre? going 6-6 and to some bowl game nobody ever heard about is not really something to brag about, other than to Purdue alums who suffered under agasi.

LOL

It would be very interesting to see the responses if this question waut that is due somewhat because of injuries to key people s posed on the Rivals national site instead of Purdue's site. I believe some of you would be very disappointed to read other's viewpoints. I could just see the responses of fans from SEC or Pac 12 teams as to who is the better coach. Some of you get pretty defensive about your alma mater. At auburn, a coach going .500 his first two years would be fired. but at Purdue, he's given an extension and becomes one of the top 10 paid coaches in America . and for what? So Purdue can be mediocre? going 6-6 and to some bowl game nobody ever heard about is not really something to brag about, other than to Purdue alums who suffered under agasi.
Why would Brohm have gone after Ramsey?He is decent but no worldbeater.What difference would Cronk have made for Purdue?He didnt help Iowa beat Purdue,did he? Indiana wasnt exactly a doormat like Purdue was four years ago since they made Bowl games in 2015 and 2016.If Purdue had played the same four opponents IU has so far with a healthy Rondale Moore and George Karlaftis they would be 4 and 0 also.What record would IU have now if they had played Purdues schedule ?We cant say for sure,but Indiana hasnt played a team yet as good as Iowa or Northwestern.Indiana has won four straight and outscored four bad teams by 58 points.Purdue topped BC,Nebraska,Illinois and OSU in 2018 in a row and outscored them by 99 points.Yes,Purdue has stagnated somewhat but key players have missed a lot of time due to injuries.Lets see what the rest of the season shows us.Boiler up!

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
We cant say for sure,but Indiana hasnt played a team yet as good as Iowa or Northwestern.

By record no, but you’re vastly underestimating the significance of IU’s wins against PSU and UM. Sans Ohio State, there isn’t a team who lines up deeper and better talent across the board than Penn State and Michigan. The Penn State team IU beat 4 weeks ago isn’t the same Penn State team you’re seeing today. Clearly the loss to IU derailed their season and losing to Ohio State effectively ended it. They’re playing like they don’t care and it’s evident by their play the last two weeks.

Reactions: 76-1
The biggest thing to remember at least IMO, is that Brohm is playing NW, Illinois, and Minnesota for bragging rights. Tom Allen just beat the living piss out of Michigan and Michigan State, along with pulling off a big, big upset against PSU. Those are all tradition rich schools that trot out nothing but 4* and 5* players.

The recruiting boost Tom will get next year is absolutely HUGE. Recruiting a top target in Tampa, Florida with that kind of success in your back pocket is huge. I can guarantee that the target's mom and dad won't have a clue if those schools were having an off year, makes absolutely zero difference....

IF Tom upsets Ohio State, all bets are off.....Long Live Indiana Football!!!!!

Absolutely. Allen has developed a good defense, brought in a superstar QB in Penix, and has a physical running game with Scott behind a decent OL. Allen has Indiana well ahead of Purdue right now. Indiana passed Purdue last year when they went 8-4 while PU managed 4-8.

I laugh at PU fans commenting on all the "crappy" teams they've beaten so far - Penn State, Michigan, MSU, while Purdue points to beating Illinois and *yawn* Iowa in a close game with pride. These traditionally powerful teams have poor records because they've played and lost to the Indiana juggernaut.

Purdue does have the berzerker, Horvath, though.

Last edited:
By record no, but you’re vastly underestimating the significance of IU’s wins against PSU and UM. Sans Ohio State, there isn’t a team who lines up deeper and better talent across the board than Penn State and Michigan. The Penn State team IU beat 4 weeks ago isn’t the same Penn State team you’re seeing today. Clearly the loss to IU derailed their season and losing to Ohio State effectively ended it. They’re playing like they don’t care and it’s evident by their play the last two weeks.
Those wins are significant because they have better talent than IU,but they arent the sole reaon PSU and Michigan are so bad.

Brohm leveraged all his I'm leaving for UL..
Purdue bought it....
He's super overpaid..Not saying he may be a better coach..But his getting double what he's worth..
At that kind of cash you have win 9 -10 games in a normal year..
Idk..Purdue fans drink his koolaid..

Reactions: 76-1

Did the Tennessee game have any reflect on this year for IU? IU had that game in the bag and couldn't close the deal. No, you're wrong!

From a purely financial standpoint, Allen is by far the better football man/coach!! Brohm raped the piss out of the Bank of Purdue.

Purdue bought it....
He's super overpaid..Not saying he may be a better coach..But his getting double what he's worth..
You must be drinking the koolaid because you're over here talking about your rival's coach. If he meant nothing it wouldn't be a conversation, but it continues to be brought up.

Purdue bought it....

I agree that Brohm was paid ahead of schedule because Purdue had to try to keep him or let him go.
I have no idea who is a better coach but Indiana was better last year and they look great so far this year. I am pretty sure Indiana went to back to back bowl games before Allen got there though so they were on the upswing before he came in my opinion anyway.... I don’t follow them super close. Purdue was in a death spiral before Brohm arrived and in my opinion over achieved by a lot in his first two years. Last year was awful. This year is off to a decent start. I would certainly give Allen an edge right now but Purdue paid Brohm for the long haul. It will be a while before we will have a program consistently winning 9+ games. I don’t even think Saban could have come in and done it in 4 years. Didn’t we beat like 3 Big Ten teams in 3 years or something crazy before Brohm. I would need to look it up again. It was bad.

Reactions: Purdue85 and SKYDOG
Purdue bought it....

and as far as koolaid. Clearly you don’t read the Purdue forum because almost every fan that posts here hates Brohm and things he should be winning NC by now.

and as far as koolaid. Clearly you don’t read the Purdue forum because almost every fan that posts here hates Brohm and things he should be winning NC by now.
See they fail to recall the back to back bowl games that Wilson took them to and then Allen back to back misses. IU fans were calling for his head. Now, he wins and everything is cured. Northwestern would be IU's toughest test of the year as well. Let's not forget Northwestern had as many wins as their to date opponents.

Reactions: Beorik
Who has IU actually beaten? Four terrible teams.
What does that matter? Aside from PSU, Indiana has done what good teams/better teams do---Win. And done quite easily. Never got this argument at all. Also.....

So its Indiana's fault that PSU, MSU and UM aren't up to par? I mean I'd be curious to your reaction if this were Purdue sitting at 4-0, ranked 10th, with wins over Michigan, Penn State and MSU.

We tend to let our bias get in the way...And I get that. But Indiana is really good. Anyone with any football/sports acuity, can see that.

And hey, I mean lets not pretend Purdue didn't catch some breaks..In your two wins, its was versus teams missing kep parts(Iowa/Illinois)...

Some times my friend, its just your day...

So COVID made IU good----MSU, PSU and UM, not so good? MSU and UM have been "so-so" of late. Recruiting has dropped, with a ton of misses. Teams,like IU, who have recruited decently, are starting to catch up, so to speak...They have the weapons to exploit the weakness of these teams.

Anyways---Indiana has been decent/to pretty good, under Allen. Trouble is, IU plays in the east.Meaning a date with Michigan,OSU, PSU and MSU, every single year...Don't let the 5-7 records prior to last year 8-4 fool you. Not much really changed. But this year----It has. IU is very talented at the skilled positions....A very good, fast defense led by a star in the making: Taiwan Mullen.

Now with that being said----If by "keeping up", you mean maintaining a Top 10 team....

Well, duh.

But as far as winning? Yeah, thats not gonna stop.

So COVID made IU good----MSU, PSU and UM, not so good? MSU and UM have been "so-so" of late. Recruiting has dropped, with a ton of misses. Teams,like IU, who have recruited decently, are starting to catch up, so to speak...They have the weapons to exploit the weakness of these teams.

Anyways---Indiana has been decent/to pretty good, under Allen. Trouble is, IU plays in the east.Meaning a date with Michigan,OSU, PSU and MSU, every single year...Don't let the 5-7 records prior to last year 8-4 fool you. Not much really changed. But this year----It has. IU is very talented at the skilled positions....A very good, fast defense led by a star in the making: Taiwan Mullen.

Now with that being said----If by "keeping up", you mean maintaining a Top 10 team....

Well, duh.

But as far as winning? Yeah, thats not gonna stop.
Yes, Covid made IU good just like it made Clemson worse against ND, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Cincinnati, IU. None of these teams would be where they are today without Covid and that's a fact. If you can't see or know that than you're being the fool.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Imagine losing at home to the #23 team in the country and then using that to explain why you’re actually better than the #10 team in the country...

Imagine losing at home to the #23 team in the country and then using that to explain why you’re actually better than the #10 team in the country...
Because they have more wins then your combined opponents. Imagine being #10 and going over to brag to the team that just lost to that #23 team🤔

Reactions: BBG
What does that matter? Aside from PSU, Indiana has done what good teams/better teams do---Win. And done quite easily. Never got this argument at all. Also.....

So its Indiana's fault that PSU, MSU and UM aren't up to par? I mean I'd be curious to your reaction if this were Purdue sitting at 4-0, ranked 10th, with wins over Michigan, Penn State and MSU.

We tend to let our bias get in the way...And I get that. But Indiana is really good. Anyone with any football/sports acuity, can see that.

And hey, I mean lets not pretend Purdue didn't catch some breaks..In your two wins, its was versus teams missing kep parts(Iowa/Illinois)...

Some times my friend, its just your day...
IU plays their first real game very soon.

I don’t think anyone is trying to do that. But look at it objectively. Nebraska is also better than Penn St. and Penn St just looks horrible. Ill beat Rutgers and that win suddenly doesn’t look great. Mich looks bad as well. You have certainly beat some historically big names! You guys are playing well. but NW would be the beat team you guys have played all year by a lot to this point.
For the record I think you guys are pretty good. I think it will be a good game between us. I hope so anyway.
You guys have a chance to show everyone how improved you are next week! Go out there and ball against Ohio St! Good luck! Hope you guys win.

Purdue bought it....

If/when legit programs come after Allen, we’ll see if your administration does everything they can to keep him.

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
From a purely financial standpoint, Allen is by far the better football man/coach!! Brohm raped the piss out of the Bank of Purdue.

Why don’t you tell us more about why the Music City Bowl has significantly impacted our program?

Yes, Covid made IU good just like it made Clemson worse against ND, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Cincinnati, IU. None of these teams would be where they are today without Covid and that's a fact. If you can't see or know that than you're being the fool.
Marshall is the real deal, and they have been for a couple of decades.

As numerous people have pointed out, IU has a solid program. Allen took over an established roster. IU also has a long track record of not beating teams with winning records.

Beat OSU. Beat Wisky and/or Northwester. Win the B1G. Then IU fans will have something to crow about.

Claiming that IU put Penn State on their current path is laughable. That PSU team did everything they could to screw up the game vs IU. IU got the win. That isn't what defined PSU's season.

UM was just destroyed by a UW team that had been off for 2 weeks due to the Wuhan flu.

This CFB season is an aberration. IU better take advantage of it, or they are who everyone knows they are... the worst program in the history of CFB.

• Haha
Reactions: wakeman2626
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT