ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Scant Consolation for Purdue—But

RossMackey

True Freshman
Aug 29, 2017
None of the other 1-seeds look at all dominant: Bama on the ropes, UH struggling, KU already done….

None of the other 1-seeds look at all dominant: Bama on the ropes, UH struggling, KU already done….
You are really trying to find the smallest positivity, so I will give you credit. However, it doesn't make me feel any better about this tournament this year.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Crazy that Alabama is now something like 1-9 in Regional Semi-Finals. And Houston is down double digits to Miami.......oh my. Even in a wide open year, you wouldn't think all #1 seeds out after three rounds.......we shall see if the Cougars can come back.

San Diego State Aztecs have some grit to them.

Edit/Update - welp, just saw a stat where a #1-seed has at least made the Regional Finals round in every NCAA tournament. Brackets continuing to disintegrate.

Last edited:
God, please, Xavier, beat Texas. All will be right with the world once IU, Alabama, and Texas are gone.

ETA: The Big Ten may have sucked this year, but clearly there were no dominant teams across the country. Purdue through mid-January was probably the closest thing to it. :(
That is the funniest thing about this team. Before the BT season started, we probably could have possibly won it, if the tournament was in January. Similar to the previous year, it seems like people figure Painter out as the year goes on.

You are really trying to find the smallest positivity, so I will give you credit. However, it doesn't make me feel any better about this tournament this year.
Agreed - rooting through a steaming pile of dung, hoping to find a morsel🤮

That is the funniest thing about this team. Before the BT season started, we probably could have possibly won it, if the tournament was in January. Similar to the previous year, it seems like people figure Painter out as the year goes on.
I think teams adjust and his 'adjustment' is to try and sharpen execution. It's a good philosophy but it certainly isn't the best 'adjustment' when the strategy isn't working in a game with the season on the line.

Clearly, he wanted Nijel Pack and we can see why. If we had that dude, we would probably still be playing. :(

Agreed - rooting through a steaming pile of dung, hoping to find a morsel🤮
When you're starving...

OT: It's disturbing, but fighting over cow feces for kernels of corn in it reportedly has happened in a North Korean "gulag":
Mr Power spoke to the council of another prisoner, Kim Young-soon, who said she and other prisoners were so hungry they would pick through kernels of corn from cattle excrement.

• Wow
Reactions: Tommaker
Pack was a big miss absolutely. However, I think there are going to be a lot of Pack type misses, because I don’t see us going into a money war like some other schools will.
I don’t see very many high academic schools wanting to get to deep into the NIL waters.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Miami was impressive attacking the pressure....never really gave Houston an opening down the stretch. Cougars let this slip away early in the second half. Texas/Creighton winner will have their hands full on Sunday.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Crazy that Alabama is now something like 1-9 in Regional Semi-Finals. And Houston is down double digits to Miami.......oh my. Even in a wide open year, you wouldn't think all #1 seeds out after three rounds.......we shall see if the Cougars can come back.

San Diego State Aztecs have some grit to them.

Edit/Update - welp, just saw a stat where a #1-seed has at least made the Regional Finals round in every NCAA tournament. Brackets continuing to disintegrate.
Not anymore!

No dominant teams. But the teams with the best guard play are winning now.
The NCAA has worked so hard over the years to create upsets, in order to drive viewership in the first couple of weekends, that they’re on the verge of completely killing their viewership for the E8 and F4. When there are no big name teams in the F4, very few people are going to watch.

Texas shot incredibly well yesterday. Wow. I hope they can keep it up as someone I know has them winning it all in his bracket.
I spent some time with Timmie Allen when he was in HS. My grandson was on his team and my daughter was his HS Counselor. He's had quite a tumultuous life. I wish him the very very best

Reactions: tjreese
Texas shot incredibly well yesterday. Wow. I hope they can keep it up as someone I know has them winning it all in his bracket.

and that was basically without Dylan Disu (played two minutes and is day-to-day with a foot injury). He had double/doubles the previous two games and is a big part of Texas' recent surge. Could be a big difference if he can't go tomorrow, but we shall see.

The NCAA has worked so hard over the years to create upsets, in order to drive viewership in the first couple of weekends, that they’re on the verge of completely killing their viewership for the E8 and F4. When there are no big name teams in the F4, very few people are going to watch.
If the ratings are poor, the NCAA deserves it. I'm happy for the small schools, but a single elimination tournament is a poor way to determine a champion. The best team all season was probably Alabama (as much as I hate to admit that) and they aren't going to be the champions. The rules are the same for everyone, at least (wildly inconsistent officiating excepted), so the teams that are still there earned it.

Reactions: DrEss
Money wins. Miami men and women are showing going forward big nil bucks will set the “standard”. Higher education, amateurs, doing it right are the mantra from a bygone era. Time marches on whether good or bad.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Money wins. Miami men and women are showing going forward big nil bucks will set the “standard”. Higher education, amateurs, doing it right are the mantra from a bygone era. Time marches on whether good or bad.
You can't afford an NBA team, buy a college team!

Reactions: Lionheart1
I disagree.....so far. If both the men and women teams don't reach the FF, those writing the checks will feel like it was NOT money well spent. To those people, it's FF or nothing. More people writing big checks are going to be upset than the number of people feeling like it was money well spent.

Going forward, there's a good chance that there are only going to be 4 donor bases that are going to feel "adequate" and only ONE that feels it was worth the investment......until that shine wears off in a few months when they realize they are going to get swamped for more money every year. This version of NIL has a shelf life and water will find its level.

Do you think IU donors feel it was worth the price paid for TJD and Race? Rhetorical question, I know. And that was with the BEST year they have had in the last 6 or 7. The answer is not throwing money at a, perceived, problem.

However, I HOPE every fan base does this the next two or three years so we can normalize sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Tommaker
I disagree.....so far. If both the men and women teams don't reach the FF, those writing the checks will feel like it was NOT money well spent. To those people, it's FF or nothing. More people writing big checks are going to be upset than the number of people feeling like it was money well spent.

Going forward, there's a good chance that there are only going to be 4 donor bases that are going to feel "adequate" and only ONE that feels it was worth the investment......until that shine wears off in a few months when they realize they are going to get swamped for more money every year. This version of NIL has a shelf life and water will find its level.

Do you think IU donors feel it was worth the price paid for TJD and Race? Rhetorical question, I know. And that was with the BEST year they have had in the last 6 or 7. The answer is not throwing money at a, perceived, problem.

However, I HOPE every fan base does this the next two or three years so we can normalize sooner rather than later.

Oh, I get it. To THEM, it feels like money well spent as of now. If they don't win the next one, it will feel like, "....a hell of a ride!" for a little while. Might even make them write more checks next year. As soon as it doesn't work out, which is more likely, they will get frustrated with writing large checks for "nothing". Odds are that more people writing checks are going to be unhappy than the number of those that are happy.

The only way this works will be if the top 8 check writers make the FF every year or two. Too much wasted money if not. I don't see that scenario being likely with transfers every year. Check writing doesn't guarantee chemistry. Talent, alone, won't get them to where they wan't to be and there are so many variables that contribute to workable chemistry.

Oh, I get it. To THEM, it feels like money well spent as of now. If they don't win the next one, it will feel like, "....a hell of a ride!" for a little while. Might even make them write more checks next year. As soon as it doesn't work out, which is more likely, they will get frustrated with writing large checks for "nothing". Odds are that more people writing checks are going to be unhappy than the number of those that are happy.

The only way this works will be if the top 8 check writers make the FF every year or two. Too much wasted money if not. I don't see that scenario being likely with transfers every year. Check writing doesn't guarantee chemistry. Talent, alone, won't get them to where they wan't to be and there are so many variables that contribute to workable chemistry.
Speaking of money, a guy on on3 provided a source (Doug Griffith) saying that Zach was getting between 800K and 900K this past season. Does anyone have reason to believe this to be true?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT