ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for those that read this board and follow Purdue basketball on a daily basis , I can't believe many of you thought this was a shocker or caught anybody including Painter by surprise. there have been several long threads where long time posters have suggested up to three players might transfer at the end of this season. A couple of those related threads were admittedly deleted by the moderators because they became too personal .

and those knowledgeable people are also knowledgeable about the end of season reviews Painter has with his players, and the fact that many players have left Purdue to go to other schools. the list is rather long of payers transferring from Purdue. and Purdue has a long list of accepting transfers.

ultimately it's the player's decision, much like football. However, I am not naïve to believe that sometimes Painter had some influence in the player making that decision. and in some cases, it appeared the Painter helped that player find a new home. Didn't we have a player transfer to IUPUI ?

Under the new power 5 league rules, no player in football or basketball can have their 4 year scholarship rescinded. however, I have to believe that both in football and basketball, tha t coaches were honest with players, and players accepted their advice and decided to look elsewhere. it happens at all of the major programs including UK, Kansas and Duke.

I also have to believe in 95% of the cases, a player has talked to his coach before making a decision, and also before that decision is announced publically.

To me, to suggest that this was a total shock or surprise is a little naïve. I'm sorry after reading some of Brian's other articles about player decisions, his credibility is no longer 100%. Yet people still believe him. I'm personally just a tad skeptical when I read stuff like the coaching staff was blind sided or surprised by his decision. it was the same coaching staff that only played him more than 20 minutes in one of the last 12 games. and that game went into overtime. That's kind of sending a message. The coaching staff had already decided to go in a different direction. Is it any surprise or shock that the player looked at his minutes and his future role and also decided to go in a different direction? Isn't that what both Stephens and Taylor did ? rather than being bench players, they went somewhere else where they could play.

and Painter wished them well in their future endeavors. At some point in time, and after re-occurrence takes place, a person begins to speculate that what he reads from the media and the coach isn't always the entire story or forthcoming. I've never heard Painter say a bad word about a player leaving including Ewing and Smotherman. .

I wish Haarms well, and he probably does need a new start somewhere else. But I don't believe his move will lead to becoming a star elsewhere or a path to the NBA. I also don't believe it was a surprise or shock to Painter or his coaching staff or players. .

Reactions: PUQBMan. and BBG
Dowuona played in 9 games last year for 31 minutes. He scored 12 points, had 8 boards, and 3 blocks. That's not actually a bad per-40 average.

I'm not suggesting he's for certain the answer, but I'm certainly saying I don't think we can base much of anything on his very limited opportunities thus far.

finally finally someone with a reasonable perspective on Dow.

Reactions: BBG
So, Haarms isn’t a huge loss? Then go right out to your 7-foot-3 tree and pick another one.

And make damned sure he runs the floor, shoots everywhere with touch -- at least 58 percent for his career, blocks over 200 shots, alters hundreds more and has three years of game work.

Just two (2) players on this team shot better than 42 percent for the year. Both shot better than 51 percent. It’s absolutely absurd that they were No. 5 and No. 6 in minutes played, splitting time while everyone else threw bricks all year. The result was 16-15.

Meanwhile the only other player on the team over 6-10 got less game experience than Luce.

No, no big deal. None at all.
No- A backup 5 who averages 9 and 5 is not a “HUGE” loss. Tough loss, yes. It sucks, and I wish he was staying.

Carsen, Big Dog, those are “HUGE” losses.

Reactions: JRowdy20
The character flaw is in blind siding everyone, including the coaching staff. For as much as he gave Purdue, he was also given a scholarship so it shows a little lack of respect to all of us let alone the coaching staff that put actual time with him just up and leave without a word.

As I have said a few times I wish him well with his choice to leave and I am not dogging him as a whole, just expected more respect for at least the coaching staff from him.
Should he have let the coaching staff and teammates know during the season? It’s always going to be a shock to a coaching staff when a player that seems so bought in decides to leave. It doesn’t matter when he told them. This is a sour grapes comment.

I feel shrew has been unfairly judged by some people. While we admittedly haven't been any good with him on staff, we also have had major talent issues when he's been here. He hasn't had a chance yet to work with any talented teams at Purdue.
This. If you think he sucks, then you also have to say that Painter and Stevens are both absolute morons for hiring the guy TWICE.

Should he have let the coaching staff and teammates know during the season? It’s always going to be a shock to a coaching staff when a player that seems so bought in decides to leave. It doesn’t matter when he told them. This is a sour grapes comment.
I would tend to agree... It’s still early April.

Reactions: PurduePete98
Agree on the last point, and, while I am hopeful as well on the transfer market point...there just is not a lot of quality options there, nor will there be likely. Hard to replace someone that played as much as he had in three years with someone remotely of the same quality, never mind with similar experience.
I agree we won't be able to find some with near the quality or experience. Still feel we need someone that at least has some college experience to help give us more depth. Who knows, maybe edey or dow will surprise us and it will be a moot point. Just not sure we can count on that which is why i think we badly need a transfer now.

It's really kind of amazing how some on here try and make everything about them whether directly or indirectly.

I mean at this point who cares? The season is over, it's irrelevant to whats going on now and I am out of beer!
I have beer, a 6' bar and would LOVE to spend time talking with you ... c'mon over.

If you think that is sour grapes, then you don't know me one bit. My comments aren't even remotely ill will oriented and you're sort of just reaching at this point. It's quite simply a respect thing you do and he simply could of called (because of on lockdown) coach Painter but it appears he chose to let them know second hand.

But at no point did I demean his career here and you're having quite a bit of hurt feelings over someone thinking he could of handled it beter.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth as it's a waste of time. I think he should of shown more respect for the staff and team and told them first any way he could, you are upset that I called him on it. Again though, at no point did I demean or lessen what he did for Purdue.

I don’t ever consider it shocking when a backup who is eligible to grad transfer, transfers. Same with Sandi, JT, etc. Might be another one next year, who knows?
Not your average backup. Unless Tre’s conditioning dramatically improves, Haarms and him were probably going to split the 5 minutes again. That, plus any minutes either one might have flexed over to the 4 in a big lineup. Haarms could have had a big role next year. The fact is whoever replaces his minutes, even if they are just “backup minutes”, is likely not going to be as good of an option as a senior Haarms. This 100% hurts the 2020-21 team.

Not your average backup. Unless Tre’s conditioning dramatically improves, Haarms and him were probably going to split the 5 minutes again. That, plus any minutes either one might have flexed over to the 4 in a big lineup. The fact is whoever replaces his minutes, even if they are just “backup minutes”, is likely not going to be as good of an option as a Senior Haarms. This 100% hurts the 2020-21 team.
Didn’t say he was an average backup. And that wasn’t my point. Point is, I’m not ever surprised when grad transfer candidates, who are backups, transfer to schools where they can start.

Didn’t say he was an average backup. And that wasn’t my point. Point is, I’m not ever surprised when grad transfer candidates, who are backups, transfer to schools where they can start.
He was a sixth man with borderline starter minutes (for a big). He could have played 25 mpg next year easily. I’m guessing if there HAD been a conversation with Painter about his level of dissatisfaction they could have found a few more mpg at the 4 spot to keep him around. It’s not like we have a bonafide starter at that position. That’s the shocking part to me.

He was a sixth man with borderline starter minutes (for a big). He could have played 25 mpg next year easily. I’m guessing if there HAD been a conversation with Painter about his level of dissatisfaction they could have found a few more mpg at the 4 spot to keep him around. It’s not like we have a bonafide starter at that position. That’s the shocking part to me.
If that was an option, it would have happened this year, right?

Not your average backup. Unless Tre’s conditioning dramatically improves, Haarms and him were probably going to split the 5 minutes again. That, plus any minutes either one might have flexed over to the 4 in a big lineup. Haarms could have had a big role next year. The fact is whoever replaces his minutes, even if they are just “backup minutes”, is likely not going to be as good of an option as a senior Haarms. This 100% hurts the 2020-21 team.

Maybe it will help our defensive rebounding quite a bit.

Haarms was a decent player. He did some things very well for us. Helped win us some games while he was here. But let's stop acting like he was Bill Russell. We replaced Caleb Swanigan, had a great season afterward. We replaced one of the most prolific classes ever to go through Purdue, had a great season afterward.

We can still have a good season after losing our 20 mpg center. We just have to take inventory of what we have and put them in a good position to succeed.

He COULD have started at Purdue...he did start at Purdue...this is not a mpg matter.

There are not a lot of situations out there, at least at the level that he is/was playing at, that are truly better situations.

I still say the bigger issue is the class balance matter, and, the recruiting problems that it has caused before and will cause again...no better example than the '17 class for that matter...Purdue is not a program that can replace 4 and 5 guys at a time and have success...it failed to do so in '17 and we saw the results of that this year (and may see them again a year from now)...they will struggle to recruit for a cycle again now with at least four freshman likely a year from now, only to have to try to replace it four years later...all while trying to convince someone to come in and fill the 5 with two guys in front of them for the short-term at least...and, while ideally trying to add more talent to the talent of what is now going to be the '20 class.

A developmental program generally does not see someone that has played significant minutes and had significant experience suddenly leave at the apex of their career and in their final year.

He won’t be getting more than 18-20 min at any of those schools. Grass isn’t always greener
I’m a little surprised he’s not going to go play pro ball somewhere. He’s 23 years old already and 7 footers don’t age like fine wine...

He won’t be getting more than 18-20 min at any of those schools. Grass isn’t always greener

Would argue he’d more than likely start at UK. It’s a real possibility that Keion Brooks is UK’s tallest returning player next year at 6’7 and the two bigs they bring in are only 6’9 and barely over 200 lbs.

I do think Haarms is making a big mistake leaving. Going to be hard to go to a new team and learn their system and reach your full potential all at the same time and within one year. Maybe that is why most transfers do not end up with significantly greater success elsewhere. Haarms definitely could have helped us win some games next season. Why not just man up and be competitive and fight for more minutes with the quality of your play. I don't get it. As far as blindsiding the staff; I think he should have at least let the staff know he was considering transferring before he actually went into the transfer portal. Apparently that was not the case.

He COULD have started at Purdue...he did start at Purdue...this is not a mpg matter.

There are not a lot of situations out there, at least at the level that he is/was playing at, that are truly better situations.

I still say the bigger issue is the class balance matter, and, the recruiting problems that it has caused before and will cause again...no better example than the '17 class for that matter...Purdue is not a program that can replace 4 and 5 guys at a time and have success...it failed to do so in '17 and we saw the results of that this year (and may see them again a year from now)...they will struggle to recruit for a cycle again now with at least four freshman likely a year from now, only to have to try to replace it four years later...all while trying to convince someone to come in and fill the 5 with two guys in front of them for the short-term at least...and, while ideally trying to add more talent to the talent of what is now going to be the '20 class.

A developmental program generally does not see someone that has played significant minutes and had significant experience suddenly leave at the apex of their career and in their final year.
again, that wasn’t my point...anytime you have a graduate, who’s playing backup minutes, with a year of eligibility left, I am never surprised if they transfer. Just like I won’t be a year from now if we have someone else in the same situation...

Maybe it will help our defensive rebounding quite a bit.

Haarms was a decent player. He did some things very well for us. Helped win us some games while he was here. But let's stop acting like he was Bill Russell. We replaced Caleb Swanigan, had a great season afterward. We replaced one of the most prolific classes ever to go through Purdue, had a great season afterward.

We can still have a good season after losing our 20 mpg center. We just have to take inventory of what we have and put them in a good position to succeed.
This. I mean, I really like Matt and wish he would have stayed, but we have won B1G championships and gone into the 2nd weekend of the NCAA the year after losing better players than him.

my updated projected rotation

1 Morton/Thompson
2 Hunter/Ivey
3 Newman/Stefanovic
4 Gillis/Eastern/Wheeler
5 Williams/Dowuona/Edey

Good thing is that if he didn’t want to be here he left and didn’t just stay around complain and moan. If someone doesn’t want to be here, or is obviously that unhappy its in everyone’s best interest for them to leave. For all of you that have played colleges sports you know that you don’t want someone that is that unhappy on the team , in the huddle , or in the dugout. No matter the sport it just takes one guy that hasn’t bought completely into what’s going on to take a teams MOJO down. Not saying he is a bad kid , or even a bad teammate , but it’s obvious he wasn't 100% in to what was going on, or where they were headed. You're never gonna get the complete truth out of what happened and why he made the decision. He was politically correct in what he said to the media on the way out as was Painter. One thing is for sure that deciding to transfer is not something he just decided to do since the season was over.

Fact is to be a great team you have to have all 12-13 players on the same page and buying in. It was obvious that this year was too much the like Ronnie Johnson team. This team never meshed. May or may not be the last one to transfer. But I’ll bet anything the guys that stay will buy in and you will see a much improved TEAM next year.

again, that wasn’t my point...anytime you have a graduate, who’s playing backup minutes, with a year of eligibility left, I am never surprised if they transfer. Just like I won’t be a year from now if we have someone else in the same situation...
I would bet that if I (or anyone else) spent the time, literally dozens of examples could be offered of guys that were not in near as good a situation as Haarms that did not transfer.

Never mind the obvious...if Williams were to be injured, he is the starter...for that matter, there is nothing that said that he would not be the starter...he had been. Even at that...he was better a year ago after he went to/came off of the bench, and, was better in that role this year as well.

The only reason he played backup minutes this year was that he did not play well otherwise.

I am not buying this as a mpg issue...he not only got minutes, he got TONS of opportunities...and that was not going to change.

If he had any genuine issue with minutes...he needed to look in the mirror before he looked elsewhere.

Again, to me, the greatest disappointment is that this is a guy that was SUPPOSED to be a leader...on the floor, and, off of the floor...and, this decision speaks volumes about him individually in that regard, but, also to the issue that Purdue had (and has) with that matter.

Ultimately...Purdue is not a better basketball team next year without Matt Haarms, even with his assorted shortcomings and issues.

I think Haarms experience is the huge loss. I think he would have brought stability to a still young team next year. He’s as solid as a role player as you’ll find and he’s played in a lot of big games and knows the system. He could have been the leader.

He had weaknesses. He wasn’t going to be a star.

I don’t think Tre could have been C all year with his current conditioning. Hence more Boudreaux. We’ll see how that improves.

Tre has been foul prone and that took him out of a lot of games. Again, we’ll see how that improves.

As far as going somewhere else, I’m not sure. I don’t think it’s ill will. I think he feels he’s reached his peak in Purdue’s system. He’s a college kid. Kids change their minds a lot about what they want. Maybe he just wants to be a spot shooter rather than flash posts moves mainly. Not sure. His current shot, albeit improved, isn’t going to get him to the next level. I don’t see him playing more at a Duke or Kentucky. Much less actually.

I’ll have to wait and see where he picks to understand his motives. I will miss him and wish him the best.

I think Haarms experience is the huge loss. I think he would have brought stability to a still young team next year. He’s as solid as a role player as you’ll find and he’s played in a lot of big games and knows the system. He could have been the leader.

He had weaknesses. He wasn’t going to be a star.

I don’t think Tre could have been C all year with his current conditioning. Hence more Boudreaux. We’ll see how that improves.

Tre has been foul prone and that took him out of a lot of games. Again, we’ll see how that improves.

As far as going somewhere else, I’m not sure. I don’t think it’s ill will. I think he feels he’s reached his peak in Purdue’s system. He’s a college kid. Kids change their minds a lot about what they want. Maybe he just wants to be a spot shooter rather than flash posts moves mainly. Not sure. His current shot, albeit improved, isn’t going to get him to the next level. I don’t see him playing more at a Duke or Kentucky. Much less actually.

I’ll have to wait and see where he picks to understand his motives. I will miss him and wish him the best.
Kentucky fans want haarms BAD, and it sounds like he would be their starter most likely. I would not be surprised at all if he lands there, as it sounds like he may still have nba aspirations. Either way im still very disappointed he won't be on our team next year.

This is what happens when you redshirt players. You put all that time, effort, and resources into them only to have another program reap the benefit of their senior year. As ive said all year long, was not a fan of painter deciding to redshirt gillis and newman. Now we also have two very unbalanced classes, with the only frosh this year being thompson, and 5 next year. Just not a fan of that type of roster management.

Reactions: DAG10
Kentucky fans want haarms BAD, and it sounds like he would be their starter most likely. I would not be surprised at all if he lands there, as it sounds like he may still have nba aspirations. Either way im still very disappointed he won't be on our team next year.

This is what happens when you redshirt players. You put all that time, effort, and resources into them only to have another program reap the benefit of their senior year. As ive said all year long, was not a fan of painter deciding to redshirt gillis and newman. Now we also have two very unbalanced classes, with the only frosh this year being thompson, and 5 next year. Just not a fan of that type of roster management.

To be clear, you would have played him 1/2 the year (well, starting in January) his FR year?

He comes to campus in January, and you would have immediately put him on the floor.

Reactions: Inspector100
To be clear, you would have played him 1/2 the year (well, starting in January) his FR year?

He comes to campus in January, and you would have immediately put him on the floor.
Irrelevant...had Purdue not brought him in when they did and red-shirted him, this whole topic would be as well. Hindsight is always 20/20...backfired in this instance, and, could as well with the decisions made this year.

If you are blindsided as a HC and staff as they were in this case, that is a problem as well.

It looks bad from the outside also for that matter...

Again this is in no way similar to the 2 players that redshirted this year. Haarms came mid year , because he was sitting around not playing because he was ineligible his senior year. Would you rather Purdue played him and in effect lose a year of eligibility for 1 semester. Facts are when you are loyal to a kid and allow him to come in a semester early in order to get started on his academics and practice with team you expect that that kid will show loyalty to the program.

It seems as tho Matt feels Purdue wasnt preparing him for the NBA. Well 2 first rounders in the last 4 years and 4 guys drafted overall in that time frame would prove otherwise. You always get out of things what you put in. It’s not Painter or Purdue’s fault he still can’t dribble , has very little face up game, is still a very average rebounder for a 7’3 player, gets lost in defensive end and still shows a lot of immaturity on the floor. Going to what he considers is a bigger program will require him to truly look in the mirror and make changes. If not he will be a 15-20 min player just like he was at Purdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT