ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irrelevant...had Purdue not brought him in when they did and red-shirted him, this whole topic would be as well. Hindsight is always 20/20...backfired in this instance, and, could as well with the decisions made this year.

If you are blindsided as a HC and staff as they were in this case, that is a problem as well.

It looks bad from the outside also for that matter...
Exactly, there was no need to bring him in and risk a graduate transfer his 5th year. Could have let him continue to practice at home with his trainers. Because instead of getting him for his 4th year of play like we should have, it's only 3 and now another program will get all the benefits of his experience without ever having to use a scholarship in years prior to actually train him themselves. Have never been much of a "redshirt" fan.

If you think that is sour grapes, then you don't know me one bit. My comments aren't even remotely ill will oriented and you're sort of just reaching at this point. It's quite simply a respect thing you do and he simply could of called (because of on lockdown) coach Painter but it appears he chose to let them know second hand.

But at no point did I demean his career here and you're having quite a bit of hurt feelings over someone thinking he could of handled it beter.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth as it's a waste of time. I think he should of shown more respect for the staff and team and told them first any way he could, you are upset that I called him on it. Again though, at no point did I demean or lessen what he did for Purdue.
Nothing has been reported to suggest Haarms didn’t call Painter before entering his name in the portal. I’m sure he did tell them first. I think you are misinterpreting the program “being shocked” incorrectly. I’m sure they were shocked when Haarms called to tell them. Not when he put his name in the portal.

If you think that is sour grapes, then you don't know me one bit. My comments aren't even remotely ill will oriented and you're sort of just reaching at this point. It's quite simply a respect thing you do and he simply could of called (because of on lockdown) coach Painter but it appears he chose to let them know second hand.

But at no point did I demean his career here and you're having quite a bit of hurt feelings over someone thinking he could of handled it beter.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth as it's a waste of time. I think he should of shown more respect for the staff and team and told them first any way he could, you are upset that I called him on it. Again though, at no point did I demean or lessen what he did for Purdue.
How do you know he didn't.

In our case, it seems they usually do.
Unless I am missing someone else, who else is there other than Marcius? And even that was not the same.

Is there another guy that played significant minutes and a significant role for three years that then transferred from Purdue before his Senior season?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Unless I am missing someone else, who else is there other than Marcius? And even that was not the same.

Is there another guy that played significant minutes and a significant role for three years that then transferred from Purdue before his Senior season?
Again- I’m saying backups who graduate and have eligibility left, tend to transfer.

As I explained above, the "flaw" comes in not even telling the coaching staff. That is just pure disrespect really after all the time the staff ........and we fans....... put in to him.

It's not being negative of his time here either since I am not using that term to describe his time here and only how he handled this situtaion.

I get your point and don't disagree. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: BBG
He can do better than Valpo. I don't know if he'll be successful at a Power 5 school any more than he was at Purdue, but since 7'3" guys don't grow on trees, he will command high major attention. Most of the college basketball talk right now is that is now the most sought-after player in the portal. Helps that he doesn't have to sit a year. I don't know if it will be the blue bloods like someone else opined but it will be high major.

However, I really don't think he will be more successful than he was at Purdue. His main flaw is his strength. Another team is going to try to play him down low with his back to the basket, and they're not going to see success. I love what Matt brought to Purdue, but in the end he's mostly one-dimensional, which was a flaw of most of the team this past season.

I disagree. If he plays beside a true power forward who can take pressure off double teams, he'll have good success. The issue with Purdue the past two years is he didn't have that. Quite frankly, for that reason, if I were him I'd be frustrated with the lack of talent in the front court next to him.

Kendall Stephens. Left and went to Nevada after playing in 90 games starting 32.

Kendall Stephens. Left and went to Nevada after playing in 90 games starting 32.
Left not because he was a graduate transfer...he straight transferred, and, he left after he was out of the rotation, almost entirely...not even close to the same situation.

Reactions: Inspector100
Again this is in no way similar to the 2 players that redshirted this year. Haarms came mid year , because he was sitting around not playing because he was ineligible his senior year. Would you rather Purdue played him and in effect lose a year of eligibility for 1 semester. Facts are when you are loyal to a kid and allow him to come in a semester early in order to get started on his academics and practice with team you expect that that kid will show loyalty to the program.

It seems as tho Matt feels Purdue wasnt preparing him for the NBA. Well 2 first rounders in the last 4 years and 4 guys drafted overall in that time frame would prove otherwise. You always get out of things what you put in. It’s not Painter or Purdue’s fault he still can’t dribble , has very little face up game, is still a very average rebounder for a 7’3 player, gets lost in defensive end and still shows a lot of immaturity on the floor. Going to what he considers is a bigger program will require him to truly look in the mirror and make changes. If not he will be a 15-20 min player just like he was at Purdue.

it’s pretty amazing to me that when a player makes a decision to do what’s best for him now he won’t be successful at the next place he goes. He didn’t blame anyone or anybody for his decision I wish the Matt much success wherever he lands.

it’s pretty amazing to me that when a player makes a decision to do what’s best for him now he won’t be successful at the next place he goes. He didn’t blame anyone or anybody for his decision I wish the Matt much success wherever he lands.
What would have been "best for him" would have been if he spent the time to develop and commit to developing his game AT THE SCHOOL THAT HE WAS AT...and if he had become a leader AT THE SCHOOL THAT HE WAS AT and had been for 3 years...rather than bailing on the program and looking for a shortcut...that said, in that he did just that, it comes as no surprise why he failed at doing those other things.

What would have been "best for him" would have been if he spent the time to develop and commit to developing his game AT THE SCHOOL THAT HE WAS AT...and if he had become a leader AT THE SCHOOL THAT HE WAS AT and had been for 3 years...rather than bailing on the program and looking for a shortcut...that said, in that he did just that, it comes as no surprise why he failed at doing those other things.

maybe you right and that’s your opinion but in the end right or wrong he made that decision to do what he thought was best for him. You can call it whatever want i won’t bash him down him for making a decision he felt was right for him. Good luck to him wish him all the best Sad to see him go

maybe you right and that’s your opinion but in the end right or wrong he made that decision to do what he thought was best for him. You can call it whatever want i won’t bash him down him for making a decision he felt was right for him. Good luck to him wish him all the best Sad to see him go
In light of his decision and the apparent reason for it, it is little wonder at all why this season went as it did...while Purdue may not be a more talented team without him, it is a better program, as, this decision is affirmation as to why this year looked like it did.

Nothing I said was disparaging to Matt. For all I know he’s a decent kid that stays out of trouble.

My first paragraph is what is a fact for any coach at any level in any sport. Loyalty is only worth a crap when it goes both ways. My second paragraph is also based on facts and not opinion. If I’m wrong when was the last time you saw him pump fake at 22 feet and take someone of the dribble? He also averaged less rebounds than the year before. Go back and watch the film and see how many times he over rotates or rotates incorrectly leaving his guy open for a bucket.

Coaches can tell a player what he needs to work on. It’s their choice always if they work on those weaknesses, or not. As a former college athlete who also had 2 younger siblings also play I understand that transfers happen and what happens behind the scenes. And sometimes they do come as a surprise , but 90% of the time the players aren’t surprised when guys leave. Coaches may be , but most of the time other players knew it was coming.

Guys know who is buying in and who isn’t.

Reactions: ejs1111 and DAG10
In light of his decision and the apparent reason for it, it is little wonder at all why this season went as it did...while Purdue may not be a more talented team without him, it is a better program, as, this decision is affirmation as to why this year looked like it did.
Or...Maybe the problem is elsewhere, and that’s why he’s leaving?

Painter will adjust the team for its strength.
That being said, it is likely similar to our small ball with
Swanigan in the middle with 3 guards and Vince.

Offense can be an improvement with Morton, Ivey, Newman and Eric.
Middle can be better than expected with Beastern, Gillis and Aaron.
Trey can work similar to Caleb and Dow/Edey as backups.

Not much was expected from Isaac's first year,
but was pleasantly surprised by his results.
Edey can surprise us with his agility and shooting, I hope.

Ahhh, my Monday night rambling...

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
He can do better than Valpo. I don't know if he'll be successful at a Power 5 school any more than he was at Purdue, but since 7'3" guys don't grow on trees, he will command high major attention. Most of the college basketball talk right now is that is now the most sought-after player in the portal. Helps that he doesn't have to sit a year. I don't know if it will be the blue bloods like someone else opined but it will be high major.

However, I really don't think he will be more successful than he was at Purdue. His main flaw is his strength. Another team is going to try to play him down low with his back to the basket, and they're not going to see success. I love what Matt brought to Purdue, but in the end he's mostly one-dimensional, which was a flaw of most of the team this past season.
He for sure can do better

He can do much better if he wants to play for a title contender, he could be a nice role player. If he wants to be really good and get lots of minutes Valpo would be a nice place for him. Valpo if Freeman Liberty returns will be a good team, add Haarms and they can be really good. I agree, he'll probably aim higher, just not sure he'll get tons of minutes at a Duke or Ky.

He won’t be getting more than 18-20 min at any of those schools. Grass isn’t always greener
Correct, he also at those schools won't get a lot of touches. If he's smart he goes to a place where he can get 30 minutes a game with a chance to star. I think Valpo would be a great spot for him to shine, plus they should be good. We'll see what he decides, does he want a chance for a title or does he want a chance to be a leading player on a good team that might win a game or possibly two in a tournament.

Loved him as a Boiler but apparently the grass is greener on the other side of the fence in his mind! Injuries and the concussions limited his play this past year but he always brought enthusiasm and excitement on the court or on the bench. If he happens to run away to school that plays us at home, I hope the Mackey faithful gives him a standing O at introduction then boo’s his ass every time he steps on Keady Court the rest of the game! I have never liked quitters!

Loved him as a Boiler but apparently the grass is greener on the other side of the fence in his mind! Injuries and the concussions limited his play this past year but he always brought enthusiasm and excitement on the court or on the bench. If he happens to run away to school that plays us at home, I hope the Mackey faithful gives him a standing O at introduction then boo’s his ass every time he steps on Keady Court the rest of the game! I have never liked quitters!
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Quitter easy to say that nobody knows his reasons for making this decision but to call him a quitter you have a right to feel that way and think that way but I’m sure this decision was thought out and not easy to do but in the end some may not like why he’s doing what he’s doing but in the end I just hope the guy find happiness no matter where he goes. To much going on the world right now and nobody wanna have regrets in life bcuz life is way to short to as we all are experiencing right now. I wish him truly all the best in his future endeavors. In the end he made a decision to do what he felt was best himself no matter what others think is right or wrong or him making a mistake he will have to live with that decision for the rest of his life. Good luck to the young man wish him well

Alright so after a good night sleep (YAY BEER!) I still don't like how Haarms chose to go about this, but it's his life and his choice so I wish him well.

I highly doubt this decision came lightly nor quickly and as others have pointed out, it COULD of impacted his play this season or perhaps he saw that when he was hurt, Tre stepped up and the writing was on the wall.

He was clearly going to be fighting Tre for playing time and if he is trying to get to the next level, he needs as much time on the court as he can get since he really played very little last season. So I can understand his decision to play somewhere else that will give that to him.

My biggest fear for him is he will get promised that by another team, transfer and then end up the same as he was here or worse.

now what I think will happen with us, is we will look different next year and who knows maybe be even more up tempo since we won't be all that big. That isn't a bad thing either as I think we have the players both currently and coming in that can excel at something like that.

One thing to keep in mind as I said before, we have done fine after losing much more than a player like Haarms so I am not worried about our team going forward. Hunter and Tre are proven players and redshirting Newman and Gillis is looking more and more like a genius move as we build for the future.

Next season my expectations are we'll be more middle of the pack as more pieces are added and the returning team learns to play together in a different way I suspect, but I still see us as making the tourney and of course sweeping IU again :)

Yeesh.. that is entirely too many words to have timed this early in the morning.....

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Irrelevant...had Purdue not brought him in when they did and red-shirted him, this whole topic would be as well. Hindsight is always 20/20...backfired in this instance, and, could as well with the decisions made this year.

If you are blindsided as a HC and staff as they were in this case, that is a problem as well.

It looks bad from the outside also for that matter...

That makes no sense. It's directly relevant. The (January) redshirt of Haarms was brought up.

Exactly, there was no need to bring him in and risk a graduate transfer his 5th year. Could have let him continue to practice at home with his trainers. Because instead of getting him for his 4th year of play like we should have, it's only 3 and now another program will get all the benefits of his experience without ever having to use a scholarship in years prior to actually train him themselves. Have never been much of a "redshirt" fan.

If somebody wants to join your program, you take him. Period. You get his @ss on campus, get him learning your system, playing against top-level competition, and ready for next year.

John, I want to be nice and call it something else, but to suggest otherwise seems absurd.

Haarms himself has talked about how much of a benefit he got from coming and banging around with this team.

Look, I get it; it's natural to reflect on this, be bummed out, analyze it (maybe even over-analyze it). I hate that he's leaving. Criticizing Painter for bringing him in when he did just seems like stretching to find some reason to complain about redshirting again.

My 2 cents.....Haarms has carved a role as a Purdue Icon and it is sad to see him skip out on his Sr year. Good luck to him on what he does next.

As far as next year's team...I think we need to think outside of the box. Williams will get all the minutes he can handle, and his production will go up with it again. Last year this team was better when it attacked up tempo on offense, but working Haarms, Williams, and Boudreaux in the rotation held that back. Expect a ton of 4 guard lineups with Trevion and some small ball lineups with three guards and the two forwards. Worried about guarding the post? Purdue will double and have athletes to recover. Dow should be ready in year 3 to be sprinkled in against teams with a true 5 for depth. Will they miss Haarms? Yes. Will they be worse without him? Not necessarily.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Quitter easy to say that nobody knows his reasons for making this decision but to call him a quitter you have a right to feel that way and think that way but I’m sure this decision was thought out and not easy to do but in the end some may not like why he’s doing what he’s doing but in the end I just hope the guy find happiness no matter where he goes. To much going on the world right now and nobody wanna have regrets in life bcuz life is way to short to as we all are experiencing right now. I wish him truly all the best in his future endeavors. In the end he made a decision to do what he felt was best himself no matter what others think is right or wrong or him making a mistake he will have to live with that decision for the rest of his life. Good luck to the young man wish him well
He is by definition a quitter. His reasons (or excuses) are irrelevant. Good luck to him. Now, I wonder if the demon is exercised, or is it still here?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
If somebody wants to join your program, you take him. Period. You get his @ss on campus, get him learning your system, playing against top-level competition, and ready for next year.

John, I want to be nice and call it something else, but to suggest otherwise seems absurd.

Haarms himself has talked about how much of a benefit he got from coming and banging around with this team.

Look, I get it; it's natural to reflect on this, be bummed out, analyze it (maybe even over-analyze it). I hate that he's leaving. Criticizing Painter for bringing him in when he did just seems like stretching to find some reason to complain about redshirting again.
No, just because someone wants to "join your program", that does not mean you take them in automatically.

No, just because someone wants to "join your program", that does not mean you take them in automatically.
The NCAA said his eligibility had already started while he was at prep school. That is why he only played a few games before stopping. He could have stayed there and practiced against lesser competition or come to Purdue and take a RS and train against elite players like Biggie and Haas every day.

Pretty sure that worked in our favor.

He is by definition a quitter. His reasons (or excuses) are irrelevant. Good luck to him. Now, I wonder if the demon is exercised, or is it still here?

Not exactly sure how he is a quitter? He was with the program for 4 years and most importantly will have earned his degree. It's not a given that he even plays collegiality next year as he may be playing overseas. By your admission Carsen Edwards and Caleb Swanigan are also quitters, even more so than Haarms as neither earned their degree before leaving.

The NCAA said his eligibility had already started while he was at prep school. That is why he only played a few games before stopping. He could have stayed there and practiced against lesser competition or come to Purdue and take a RS and train against elite players like Biggie and Haas every day.

Pretty sure that worked in our favor.
Considering he just left our program, pretty sure it didn't.

There's been speculation on here that it was Shrew's role in the offense that was not producing an efficient scoring machine.
I cannot disagree with this and with what is going with the pandemic and what not, there won't be change there until after next season I am guessing.

The offensive struggles were not all due to players and it's pretty coincidental that we had such a dramatic change with a new addition to the staff in that area.

Totally agree with what you just said. Haarms is one of my favorite players who always busted his ass, hustled, encouraged his team even when on the bench.

Considering he just left our program, pretty sure it didn't.

We got quite a bit out of him. He chose to leave. College students do that. It's reasonable that most people would have rather had him the past few years than not.

I'm not comparing the two, but Carsen left early. That was a much, much bigger loss, but it still worked out pretty well for us.

We got quite a bit out of him. He chose to leave. College students do that. It's reasonable that most people would have rather had him the past few years than not.

I'm not comparing the two, but Carsen left early. That was a much, much bigger loss, but it still worked out pretty well for us.

Agree.

He graduated, I'm not sure what else you want from Haarms? He may end up playing overseas next year or wants to pursue a masters degree in a program Purdue doesn't offer or who knows, maybe he just wants a change of scenery and wants to play basketball at low level stress program in a city like LA or Seattle and enjoy his time on another programs dime.

Never understood the animosity some players get for making a decision they deem beneficial to their best interest. Fans aren't entitled to anything in the big picture.

I cannot disagree with this and with what is going with the pandemic and what not, there won't be change there until after next season I am guessing.

The offensive struggles were not all due to players and it's pretty coincidental that we had such a dramatic change with a new addition to the staff in that area.
Respectfully, I just can’t imagine why Matt Painter and Brad Stevens would both hire this guy TWICE if he’s not a good basketball coach.

The offense we ran didn’t change much. There were opportunities to score, and our guys just couldn’t take advantage.

“Hey- Why didn’t Shrew run that one play where the little stocky guy pulls up from 30 feet and drains it?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT