ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa and NW game postponed due to Covid

lkdqQA.gif

Shouldn’t NW forfeit if they can’t field a team? Why, in 2023, would this happen? I can understand 2 years ago before everyone who cared to be vaccinated had the option and when the mortality rate was thought to be a couple orders of magnitude greater than it was because of nonscientific population testing samples, but could they realistically make the same request if half the team was out with the flu?

Shouldn’t NW forfeit if they can’t field a team? Why, in 2023, would this happen? I can understand 2 years ago before everyone who cared to be vaccinated had the option and when the mortality rate was thought to be a couple orders of magnitude greater than it was because of nonscientific population testing samples, but could they realistically make the same request if half the team was out with the flu?
Was thinking the same with respect to the flu.

Sand bagging....not wanting to play a red hot IA team.....soon as I was txt on this.....new it was NW pulling this crap!

COVID has come back. people got lax. nobody wanted a booster. the last booster only provided protection for a year. how many people here got their third booster? how many people here got a flu shot? how many pople here take Covid seriously? it appears Northwestern does.

COVID has come back. people got lax. nobody wanted a booster. the last booster only provided protection for a year. how many people here got their third booster? how many people here got a flu shot? how many pople here take Covid seriously? it appears Northwestern
COVID has come back. people got lax. nobody wanted a booster. the last booster only provided protection for a year. how many people here got their third booster? how many people here got a flu shot? how many pople here take Covid seriously? it appears Northwestern does.
You can’t be serious

My family didn’t get a flu shot this year and the flu knocked us on our butts for several days. None of us got the rona booster either and if anyone has caught it we had no symptoms. For most younger and healthy people there’s no comparison.

People getting lax was suppose to happen, its a good thing. We can get immunuty and move on from this nonsense. Everyone is going to get covid and keep getting it, theres no reason to hide from it.

Was thinking the same with respect to the flu.
I'd like to know if they are permitted to play with COVID. If they have no symptoms or can still play even with some symptoms, they should be able to play -- just like they sometimes play with the flu or other sickness.

I'd like to know if they are permitted to play with COVID. If they have no symptoms or can still play even with some symptoms, they should be able to play -- just like they sometimes play with the flu or other sickness.
Is being able to reschedule a game due to Covid cases here to stay? Or is that a rule that gets renewed annually?

That needs to stop. Maybe the new commissioner can get that done.

You can’t be serious
Actually I am! And so are the people at Northwestern. And it’s obvious very few others are. The numbers are going back up. Today’s society doesn’t like being told what to do. They feel like they have had enough and it’s time to move on. This thread was started obviously to poke fun at Northwestern for canceling their game. And why did they cancel it? Obviously several of their players contracted Covid. It is still as contagious as it ever was. I’ve read the previous threads on the subject on this board. It became obvious the majority of you didn’t care. So why even bother discussing it? Other than to find something to diss Northwestern?

Do people even know the circumstances? Maybe they have several players sick with Covid or it could be a player went to a party where someone had covid. The former seems like a good reason to postpone the game, the later, not so much. My guess is the truth is somewhere in between.

I don't were mask and I live my life pretty much like I did before covid, but I get the shots when they come out and I stay away from sick people. Not because I think I'm going to die, but I don't want to miss Tennis next week because I'm sick.

I'm not sure how not wanting sick players to play in a basketball game for the amusement of others has become such a controversial issue.

Actually I am! And so are the people at Northwestern. And it’s obvious very few others are. The numbers are going back up. Today’s society doesn’t like being told what to do. They feel like they have had enough and it’s time to move on. This thread was started obviously to poke fun at Northwestern for canceling their game. And why did they cancel it? Obviously several of their players contracted Covid. It is still as contagious as it ever was. I’ve read the previous threads on the subject on this board. It became obvious the majority of you didn’t care. So why even bother discussing it? Other than to find something to diss Northwestern?
Lol Let’s think logically. (Not trying to get political here but)

I think it’s very ironic that the most liberal school in the most liberal city who’s had the most liberal mandates and agendas in our conference, is the teams who’s causing the cancelation when they’re playing Iowa. Iowa being the state that took the most conservative approach to C0vid from the get go. Heck they played their post season HS sports in 2020 and didn’t shut down. Had some of the most relaxed approaches to the “pandem1c”

There’s a show going on and you’re eating the popcorn bud.

Reactions: ANDY597
I'm not sure how not wanting sick players to play in a basketball game for the amusement of others has become such a controversial issue.
I think it's because players have played basketball while sick for a long time. Yes, if COVID or the flu is running through the team and there are not enough players well enough to play, they may need to postpone. But, if they are well enough to play, then the game should happen (i.e., a COVID positive test or minor symptoms on there own should not prevent a player from playing).

Reactions: ddmills333

I think it’s very ironic that the most liberal school in the most liberal city who’s had the most liberal mandates and agendas in our conference, is the teams who’s causing the cancelation when they’re playing Iowa. Iowa being the state that took the most conservative approach to C0vid from the get go. Heck they played their post season HS sports in 2020 and didn’t shut down. Had some of the most relaxed approaches to the “pandem1c”

ALSO, You’re incorrect. The cases have been declining the past months and on a downward trend in the US and world as a whole. 55k new cases in the US on average in mid December to under 20k per day this month

Must have been watching the TV again

as i said. COVID cases are on the rise. WHY ? because people no longer take it seriously. and this is not about conservative or liberal or politics. this is about health care. as i said, some people take it seriously, while others still make fun of it. it's kind of like diabetes. Nobody believes that their eating patterns as a young adult will lead you to having it.

So again, if half the starters had flu what would be the difference? Does the Big 10 or NCAA grant the sick team a postponement for such situations? I can’t say I’ve ever heard of it. Perhaps there is a logical explanation for now - if somebody tests pos asymptomatically are they prohibited from playing? I recall Jordan scoring 30-something in a playoff game with the flu and a fever. Nobody ever talked about the risk of infecting others, because we were used to the idea that flu was everywhere and unavoidable anyway, so it was up to players to decide if they felt up to it. Perhaps that decision is still out of their (NW) hands?

as i said. COVID cases are on the rise. WHY ? because people no longer take it seriously. and this is not about conservative or liberal or politics. this is about health care. as i said, some people take it seriously, while others still make fun of it. it's kind of like diabetes. Nobody believes that their eating patterns as a young adult will lead you to having it.
They are not on the rise according to essential everyone reporting on it.

that's 20,000 cases according to your research. Most people would say that's a lot. others would say, that's only 20,000, so what do we care?
That’s .00006% of the population in the US getting infected daily.

I wasn’t a math major. But logic tells me, that in fact 20,000 cases a day is nothing.

But who uses silly logic and common sense anymore when you can let the “news” tell you what to think.

That’s .00006% of the population in the US getting infected daily.

I wasn’t a math major. But logic tells me, that in fact 20,000 cases a day is nothing.

But who uses silly logic and common sense anymore when you can let the “news” tell you what to think.
Case of the cold are going up too because it is winter and everyone is inside together. Stop testing for Covid and the crisis/panic goes away.

I think it's because players have played basketball while sick for a long time. Yes, if COVID or the flu is running through the team and there are not enough players well enough to play, they may need to postpone. But, if they are well enough to play, then the game should happen (i.e., a COVID positive test or minor symptoms on their own should not prevent a player from playing).
If you can’t find 5-6 healthy players out of 13, you can forfeit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT