ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa and NW game postponed due to Covid

Perhaps we can get a kind member of the board with a welding rig to weld Wole into his residence to stop the spread of COVID. Also, bring a pair of electric sheers and snip his internet line.

If you can’t find 5-6 healthy players out of 13, you can forfeit.
Somewhere there needs to be a real incentive to not cancel so that the other teams know it is legit. Would like for team willing to play as scheduled to submit three dates that canceling team could scratch one open date and forfeit if no open date is played. We know that these players have had some...maybe all the shots and that it appears that those that have the shots are more likely to get omicron XBB.1.5 variant than those that didn't. If true, then the players could more easily get the variant. Anyone asking China what the hell went on...."and" reporting back on it and more importantly doing something to diminish this from happening again???

Somewhere there needs to be a real incentive to not cancel so that the other teams know it is legit. Would like for team willing to play as scheduled to submit three dates that canceling team could scratch one open date and forfeit if no open date is played. We know that these players have had some...maybe all the shots and that it appears that those that have the shots are more likely to get omicron XBB.1.5 variant than those that didn't. If true, then the players could more easily get the variant. Anyone asking China what the hell went on...."and" reporting back on it and more importantly doing something to diminish this from happening again???
Or, or, we realize it is 2023 and all available evidence suggests that young healthy 18-24 year old athletes will have 0 issues, they forfeit a game if they can't find enough bodies to suit up.

ugh, that was realized before 2023.
You original post is saying there has to be an incentive so that is what I was comment on. Big Ten needs to say, if you can't field the bodies to play a scheduled game, it is a forfeit. That solves it right away.

My only caveat to that, is if it was a home game, it immediately becomes an away game.

Reactions: tjreese
You original post is saying there has to be an incentive so that is what I was comment on. Big Ten needs to say, if you can't field the bodies to play a scheduled game, it is a forfeit. That solves it right away.

My only caveat to that, is if it was a home game, it immediately becomes an away game.
I almost added the home game. Big Ten on the whole probably wouldn't ever take a stance that is tough and why I wanted that option for the team wanting to play...and even then they may not want the tough stance.

Perhaps we can get a kind member of the board with a welding rig to weld Wole into his residence to stop the spread of COVID. Also, bring a pair of electric sheers and snip his internet line.
I just spent 2 years living inside my house and had to stop teaching because of health concerns! Thanks for thinking about me! It’s those type of stupid comments about others that really annoys me and are uncalled for. I’m glad you don’t care about the health of others. But some of us are high risk people!

I just spent 2 years living inside my house and had to stop teaching because of health concerns! Thanks for thinking about me! It’s those type of stupid comments about others that really annoys me and are uncalled for. I’m glad you don’t care about the health of others. But some of us are high risk people!
start a GoFundMe to move you to China so they can weld you shut in an apartment. I literally don’t care. If you are that concerned about getting sick, you shouldn’t be a regular part of a society. The fact you believe stopping people’s liberties can stop a disease from spreading shows a lot about your overall mental cognitive abilities.

That's how it should have been from the start. Protect at risk people and leave young healthy people alone. Now that we know the shots don't stop transmission that's a non factor. Anyone who wants to keep taking them to mitigate bad outcomes should do so. Other than that we have to move forward.

start a GoFundMe to move you to China so they can weld you shut in an apartment. I literally don’t care. If you are that concerned about getting sick, you shouldn’t be a regular part of a society. The fact you believe stopping people’s liberties can stop a disease from spreading shows a lot about your overall mental cognitive abilities.
No need to be nasty or wish ill on a fellow Boiler just because you don't like their message board posting. Have grace.

the tweet from the ny study lacked context. it was implying that the new variant infected immunized people more than previous variants. it did not state that vaccinated people were more likely to get infected than non immunized. in fact, non vaccinated people are much more likely to get infected and suffer severe consequences.

the tweet from the ny study lacked context. it was implying that the new variant infected immunized people more than previous variants. it did not state that vaccinated people were more likely to get infected than non immunized. in fact, non vaccinated people are much more likely to get infected and suffer severe consequences.
my words-"maybe all the shots and that it appears that those that have the shots are more likely to get omicron XBB.1.5 variant than those that didn't. If true, then the players could more easily get the variant.

I've read other reports suggesting the same for a few months now. Hospital cases seem to have much higher patients with the shots than not. There are other things I don't know...such as what percent of the patients fall into some given age group and what was the percent of that age that got the shots...and how many shots? Obviously, if 90% of the age group had the shots, then the population in hospitals would expect most their patients to already had the shot...and this understanding should extend to different level of shots.

This whole episode created in China has been devestating on thousands of levels and yet, we don't seem to be in the process of preventing round two, three, four and so forth. FWIW, I believe that each variant should be less severe and that hope all those very concerned are also taking vitamins to help the immune system...doing what they can...

Back on topic, does anyone know the rules for when a game can be postponed in 2023? Is it just up to a school to report some number of sick players? Does it have to be COVID or do other illnesses count? Does a positive test preclude a player from entering a game even if asymptomatic?

I think one question we can all agree we would like to know is how easy it is for this policy to be abused by a team that doesn’t want to play another one on a given date. And is the policy scheduled to expire at any point?

Last edited:
my words-"maybe all the shots and that it appears that those that have the shots are more likely to get omicron XBB.1.5 variant than those that didn't. If true, then the players could more easily get the variant.

I've read other reports suggesting the same for a few months now. Hospital cases seem to have much higher patients with the shots than not. There are other things I don't know...such as what percent of the patients fall into some given age group and what was the percent of that age that got the shots...and how many shots? Obviously, if 90% of the age group had the shots, then the population in hospitals would expect most their patients to already had the shot...and this understanding should extend to different level of shots.

This whole episode created in China has been devestating on thousands of levels and yet, we don't seem to be in the process of preventing round two, three, four and so forth. FWIW, I believe that each variant should be less severe and that hope all those very concerned are also taking vitamins to help the immune system...doing what they can...
the new variant is much better at avoiding existing immune responses. vaccinated are much more likely to get infected with this variant than previous variants. it also should follow that people with no or little immunity would be even more likely to get infected. too many sites on the internet have made the false assumption that vaccinated are more likely than unvaccinated to get this new variant.

Reactions: drewjin
This thread is getting unnecessarily political. Fact they only had 6 healthy players. Fact healthy young vaccinated kids have a very low chance of death from Covid. The question is simple should they forfeit or postpone a game when only have 6 healthy players.

You need 8 players to play, so NW fell 2 short of the min. I think its better to play a game than not, so if you are at a point you can reschedule you should reschedule. I am not sure if there is a special Covid rule anymore. Would the Big Ten do the same if it was from the Flu and not covid NW only had 6 players? I would assume porbably so, the rudeness and political is not needed, its a question of forfeight vs postpone for not able to feild the 8 needed to play a game. We are all Boilers here.

the new variant is much better at avoiding existing immune responses. vaccinated are much more likely to get infected with this variant than previous variants. it also should follow that people with no or little immunity would be even more likely to get infected. too many sites on the internet have made the false assumption that vaccinated are more likely than unvaccinated to get this new variant.
I'm sure there are many sites that make assumptions and mislead people by leaving some things out. I imagine it is much worse today than years ago, although it no doubt existed then as well. What does a person do when you know this has happened...where does he or she turn for truth?

We saw a country shut down for things that didn't matter. We saw finger pointing from the media and politicians saying those not taking the shots were spreading the virus and yet we know Pfizer didn't even test for that. Where is truth? Is truth from those that stand to make more money?

I agree that there exists a lot of reports that are misleading or untruthful, but where does a person like you and I turn for truth? Do you trust the government for truth...the World Health Organization...the CDC...China...the doctors that actually see the paitents?

I actually don't know where to find truth from another. Even if you try to be independent of those you think may be inaccurate, do you take their data knowing it is inaccurate for your own understandings? I personally believe that those older, those with immune system issues...and especially those too heavy are at mortal risk at some percent. I lost a younger, non-smoker, "average weight for today" friend a year ago...that never had any shots. I

'm older and diabetic and had two shots...no boosters. Since my two shots I find me clearing my throat more and some interesting sensations in my chest. I had a heart cath around 2008 in which the doc said he would give anything to have my heart. I believe the muscle twitch back then was due to weight lifting...which I have NOT done for probably 10 years now, and I can tell. Anyway, I have no idea where to turn for unbiased info...

This thread is getting unnecessarily political. Fact they only had 6 healthy players. Fact healthy young vaccinated kids have a very low chance of death from Covid. The question is simple should they forfeit or postpone a game when only have 6 healthy players.

You need 8 players to play, so NW fell 2 short of the min. I think its better to play a game than not, so if you are at a point you can reschedule you should reschedule. I am not sure if there is a special Covid rule anymore. Would the Big Ten do the same if it was from the Flu and not covid NW only had 6 players? I would assume porbably so, the rudeness and political is not needed, its a question of forfeight vs postpone for not able to feild the 8 needed to play a game. We are all Boilers here.
I've never heard (but perhaps it is true?) of the Big cancelling due to the flu or stomach virus, but even though you and many may look at the flu being similar for this age group, it appears the Big has not treated them the same...suggesting for some that a political direction is in play whether we like it or not...it lies in the gut in how things are seen and handled as well as fear of potential lawsuits perhaps???? Does anyone know if games were cancelled due to any sickness outside of Covid...anthing?

I am not sure if there is a special Covid rule anymore. Would the Big Ten do the same if it was from the Flu and not covid NW only had 6 players? I would assume porbably so…

That’s a big assumption. It might be true - A lot of us including myself are honestly trying to learn.

Say Edey and a couple others are legit sick before the Michigan State game. Would there not be a perverse incentive to ask for a show of hands in the locker room who’s had a cough or sniffle in the past week? C’mon Newman, didn’t we hear a sneeze from you the other day? Yeah? Then we don’t have enough to play until we’re ready.

Of course I don’t want this to happen, I’d like to doubt that Painter would ever do this, but I’m certain others would and possibly at our expense. Is there truly some sort of a rule stating a team with sick-from-any-illness players can postpone instead of forefit a game? And has this always been the case or is it a loophole enabled by former Covid policy?

COVID has come back. people got lax. nobody wanted a booster. the last booster only provided protection for a year. how many people here got their third booster? how many people here got a flu shot? how many pople here take Covid seriously? it appears Northwestern does.
It came back? It never stopped. You don't still believe that the shots and boosters stopped it? Even Pfizer is no longer claiming that -- not after the judge refused to allow them to put the data under lock and key for 55 years.

The truth is out there for those who take the time to dig for it. Regarding the amount of risk for certain age groups, that data has been made readily available. A very recent, robust study showing age-stratified infection fatality rate (IFR) can be found here. The same paper is available on Pub-Med for those who wish to read it here.

Long story short, the median IFR for 20-29 year olds is 0.002%. As mentioned in the goals of the paper, the objective of the study was to accurately estimate the infection fatality rate (IFR) of COVID-19 among non-elderly people in the absence of vaccination or prior infection. Data was extracted from over 38 countries that maintained records on pre-vaccination seroprevalence data. This data is really hard to argue against.

With this information in mind, is it really worth cancelling games over such a small risk to otherwise incredibly healthy young athletes?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
If ESPN's schedule is to be believed, they have rescheduled both games for Northwestern. Wisconsin is visiting tomorrow, Monday. Their game at Iowa is rescheduled for January 31st. They end up playing 6 games in a 2 week span.

I watched the ASU v USC game late last evening. USC has a freshman center, Vincent Iwuchukwu, who we recruited. At one point they mentioned he was still getting into game shape as he had a cardiac arrest over the summer.

I watched the ASU v USC game late last evening. USC has a freshman center, Vincent Iwuchukwu, who we recruited. At one point they mentioned he was still getting into game shape as he had a cardiac arrest over the summer.
At least he didn't have CoVID

I believe his first game back playing was the game before that one.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I believe his first game back playing was the game before that one.
I like to check on kids we recruited to see how they are doing. Was surprised when I saw that he had 0 games played earlier in the season. Figured he was one of those kids sold a false bill of goods and ended up riding the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT