ADVERTISEMENT

I'm actually glad it's NC State

Purdue would not be favored by 8.5 pts with the high ken pom win favorability right now versus Houston or Duke.

There's no question about that. There are quite a few people around the country who think it was a fluke that we beat Duke. I would point out that was the second time we beat Duke in 17 days, and neither game was a nail-biter that went down to the final possession. I'm not sure how much of a fluke that was, or more that our players are making better decisions and not beating themselves like they did earlier in the season.

That was against Virginia, and our neighbors just down the road in Chapel Hill have been pointing that out relentlessly. I guess sitting at home with a lot of free time on their hands affords them that opportunity.

The irony is, we can do the same thing with their beloved Dean Smith's two national championships. In 1982, if Georgetown's Fred Brown doesn't pass the ball to UNC's James Worthy at the end of the game, there's a very good chance that Dean Smith doesn't get his first national championship. And in 1993, if Michigan's Chris Webber doesn't call a timeout near the end of the game (when they don't have any remaining) and gets a technical foul called, there's a very good chance that Dean Smith doesn't get his second national championship.
FWIW-OT. My daughter lives north of Raleigh and west of Wake (inside the research triangle) . Moved there last summer and loves it and I think I could go for the climate.

I feel the opposite. I give much more credence to how teams are playing down the stretch. It can take guys time to gel together. Guys can come back from injury (or be knocked out by injury). What happened in November and December matter, but not as much as what happened in February and March IMO.
I agree. And you're are more likely to expend the energy required for good defense in the tournament than through the long season. Keady and Painter have done a good job over the years getting that effort from players even during the season. But some teams seem to turn it on in the tournament. Doesn't always work out, though.

Reactions: tjreese
NC State is on a great run, no doubt about that. But I think we tend to give so much credence to this recent run versus who they have been the whole season. These are the same players and coaches that were on their way to the NIT (maybe) and their coach on the verge of being fired. Could they win Saturday? Of course, it's a one game scenario, anything is possible.
But this is the type game that we need to simply play to our averages. We don't need any super human game by Zach and we don't need to hit 50% from 3. We just need to do what we do at the level that we normally do them at and we win this game.

Being a 9.5 point favorite in the FF, tells you how much this is true. Upsets happen, but I don't see this as a game that we need to do anything other than execute what we do and we win.

I'm guilty of oversimplifying things (lord knows my wife tells me that enough) but I see this game as simple as this: Keep Zach out of foul trouble and limit TO's to 10 or less. If those 2 things happen, I think we win. Our offense is so efficient, if we don't turn it over, I don't think they can score with us.

Not cocky, but confident.
There's merit to teams making changes and becoming better. Truth with NC ST is probably somewhere between the high they've been on and how they were for the first two third of the season.

There's no question about that. There are quite a few people around the country who think it was a fluke that we beat Duke. I would point out that was the second time we beat Duke in 17 days, and neither game was a nail-biter that went down to the final possession. I'm not sure how much of a fluke that was, or more that our players are making better decisions and not beating themselves like they did earlier in the season.
I would rather have played Duke than you guys for sure. Houston would have waxed them with Shead.

There's merit to teams making changes and becoming better. Truth with NC ST is probably somewhere between the high they've been on and how they were for the first two third of the season.
It's not just the first 2/3 of the season though. They lost their last 4 games of the regular season also. They just have gotten hot during the ACC tournament and the dance.

I did not watch that whole game, but what I saw made me think that State had a lot more toughness than Duke. I don’t see that happening with Purdue. Purdue could lose, but it won’t be the way that Duke lost.

I did not watch that whole game, but what I saw made me think that State had a lot more toughness than Duke. I don’t see that happening with Purdue. Purdue could lose, but it won’t be the way that Duke lost.
Duke looked pretty bad at times, really dumb shots, poor help defense, seemed like a very young team.

NCST gave up a bunch of midrange stuff against Duke. Braden should have a good game.
Yah I expect the guards to put pressure on Burns at the rim and Paint try’s to attack his D like we did against Knecht. D is neither of their strengths. Burns not likely to high hedge so gives them some room to start downhill. Braden could have a big game if he’s seeking and hitting his shots.

Do you think anyone has played tough aggressive D against you in the tournament? I am asking because I have not seen most of your games so far. I think our D may be key for us to win without this being a nail biter.

Yah I expect the guards to put pressure on Burns at the rim and Paint try’s to attack his D like we did against Knecht. D is neither of their strengths. Burns not likely to high hedge so gives them some room to start downhill. Braden could have a big game if he’s seeking and hitting his shots.
Based upon what we have witnessed, Braden will probably have a big game if he isn't hitting shots, but I expect him to get some as you and @proudopete state and hopefully is shooting well. NCS know that Purdue likes to run the 1/5 screen and as you say...Burns is probably not going to hedge on that and so does he just drop back and block out Zach on the boards and hope the D catches Braden or the D goes under Zach to see if Braden can hit it...which I think he is around 40+ behind the arc or if Diarra and Burns are close enough to each other than Zach starts to come up high that Diarra defends Zach up high and then Burns take Trey. If Burns is on trey early enough Purdue can seek out that high ball screen.

What we haven't seen since the Big is the action once Zach rolls and Braden reads his shot and Zach for Mason up high or Zach getting a backscreen by Mason as well. Don't know where Taylor stands on D, but could see some screen the screener with Fletch if Taylor is on him.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
At
Do you think anyone has played tough aggressive D against you in the tournament? I am asking because I have not seen most of your games so far. I think our D may be key for us to win without this being a nail biter.
Oakland was allowed to play very physical with us. We were not allowed the same leeway. Thats how we had two bigs foul out. Burns was triple teamed and beat to death. He got his with assists and rebounds. Marquette was also pretty physical. They just lacked the size inside.

Hopefully Charles is right.

The more I think about this game, the more I consider it to be a must-win. It's hard to fathom that although we finally made it to the final four, we're still in the unfortunate position of being pitted against yet another damned double digit seed. We have to win this one. We just have to slay this last demon.

I don't want Purdue to carry the stigma of being remembered as the team that allowed the first double-digit seed to reach the championship game. This team has come too far to deal with this BS.

100%. It would not undo the redemption of making the FF, but losing to double-digit seed ( again) no matter how hot they are would be a chink out of that redemption. I also think if they beat Purdue, they would lose to UConn by a lot.

100%. It would not undo the redemption of making the FF, but losing to double-digit seed ( again) no matter how hot they are would be a chink out of that redemption. I also think if they beat Purdue, they would lose to UConn by a lot.
Disagree 100%. If we lost it wouldn't take anything away from FF. The seeding of NC State is pretty irrelevant as they had to beat several teams to get there int he first place.

Just win and it's a moot point.

If we lost it wouldn't take anything away from FF.
Getting to the final 4 is fine and well, but it isn't the final prize. I've never been totally enamored with the F4 alone as much of anything. I've mentioned this before on this board, and I understand it is not a popular opinion.

It doesn't happen often, but several teams have ended up in the F4 by pure luck. I don't want to be remembered as another George Mason or VCU. Sorry, but I'm not happy with being the bridesmaid. I want a trophy.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
FWIW-OT. My daughter lives north of Raleigh and west of Wake (inside the research triangle) . Moved there last summer and loves it and I think I could go for the climate.
Raleigh is fantastic-- it's Austin without the pretense...

There, and Savannah, GA are my two favorite places in the Southeast!

Raleigh is fantastic-- it's Austin without the pretense...

There, and Savannah, GA are my two favorite places in the Southeast!
I just spoke with her a few minutes ago. They love it there. She said, "You talked about maybe moving to Tennessee...maybe you should consider moving here?" Only been to visit her once to see the new house since it is only a few months old. Things are farther away than when she lived in Frederick, Maryland. Looks like she is real close to an intersection of 98 & 50. Not sure with all my Purdue gear that if I moved to Tennessee some good ole boys down there might not like what I wear? ;)

I just spoke with her a few minutes ago. They love it there. She said, "You talked about maybe moving to Tennessee...maybe you should consider moving here?" Only been to visit her once to see the new house since it is only a few months old. Things are farther away than when she lived in Frederick, Maryland. Looks like she is real close to an intersection of 98 & 50. Not sure with all my Purdue gear that if I moved to Tennessee some good ole boys down there might not like what I wear? ;)
I wear my Purdue gear all the time here in Tennessee. The good ole boys don’t mess with me one bit. You’ll be fine.

• Haha
We live just off 98, near Wake Forest. This whole area is booming. Been in the same house since 1992. Home prices are crazy.

We live just off 98, near Wake Forest. This whole area is booming. Been in the same house since 1992. Home prices are crazy.
She just said that today. She said some houses were up several hundred thousand. Who can afford that? WHY the increase cost in housing?

I just hope when he shows jump hook that Zach does not jump first, but second...straight up and no slapping down. Stay on your feet so he doesn't go under Zach. He has the height to make sure it is a shot and still get it. I'm really curious in what Purdue does and doesn't do against Burns as well as Horne with Diarra and Moresell in the background while running off Taylor.

I'm just trying to decide if he simply is supremely confident or ignorant of what he is going up against.
Trevion had his way against a LOT of bigs with his jump hook. However, Trevion never challenged Kofi as much and Durr at IU gave Trevion some trouble. I suspect he finds backing down Zach a bit more difficult, but if Zack is flat footed he can get his jump hook over him. He is crafty with a touch that can face up and shoot (take up space, but don't go for the shot fake) as well as fade a bit on his drive and still have the strength to use the glass... Keeping Diarra off the board may be as important?

I'm just trying to decide if he simply is supremely confident or ignorant of what he is going up against.
It was a ballsy comment, no doubt. I have to wonder why he would say such a thing, given Zach's propensity to use things people say about him as fuel. 🔥🔥🔥

Trevion had his way against a LOT of bigs with his jump hook. However, Trevion never challenged Kofi as much and Durr at IU gave Trevion some trouble. I suspect he finds backing down Zach a bit more difficult, but if Zack is flat footed he can get his jump hook over him. He is crafty with a touch that can face up and shoot (take up space, but don't go for the shot fake) as well as fade a bit on his drive and still have the strength to use the glass... Keeping Diarra off the board may be as important?
I agree with your last point. Keeping Diarra off the glass is key. If that guy starts racking up offensive rebounds, it could be a long night.

Hopefully the rumors are true that they want to guard Zach with Diarra. That solves two problems at once, IMO.

It was a ballsy comment, no doubt. I have to wonder why he would say such a thing, given Zach's propensity to use things people say about him as fuel. 🔥🔥🔥
Not used to the spotlight, probably because he was a 13 pt scorer on an NIT bound team until a month ago.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
And to think if NC State doesn't bank that 3 or (I forget who they were playing) the opposing team makes the front end of a 1 and 1.... we likely are playing someone else.

They are on a heater right now for sure, but then again really so are we and even if both teams struggle, our talent (in theory) is MUCH higher than theirs.

What I can't stand is I saw some CBS sports moron clamor for NC State to talk about fouls during every press conference leading up to the game... to "get in the officials heads" as it were. Then he went on to whine about a 3 second rule while........ not knowing the rule (you can have one foot in)

Everyone wants Zach to foul out and then will cheer if it happens..... it won't because he plays smart... but even so I think we have enough to beat NC State should that even come close to happening. If we play OUR game.. they have no answers for us.
Three and five second calls are hardly ever called. I saw one all year in my Grandson's High School game. I like to sit close to the floor under the basket when I can, and I actually counted out loud seven seconds and still the ref never called it.

Great Osobor said similar things and is potentially better than Burns. But I get it, I wouldn't expect him to come out and say anything different.

I have little doubt that once he goes up against Zach for a bit he'll have the "WTF did I do to deserve this" kinda moment.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT