ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois at Purdue

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
Illinois has been coming on strong lately, but I think we still win in our house. Purdue by 5 in a game that is close all the way.

Reactions: DocRon
Illinois has been coming on strong lately, but I think we still win in our house. Purdue by 5 in a game that is close all the way.
More importantly, did you watch today’s men’s game lol. Just messing buddy!

More importantly, did you watch today’s men’s game lol. Just messing buddy!
Since you brought up the men, I did go and look at their season stats. Then I went and looked at your posting history, and I was SHOCKED you are not running Kaufman-Renn through the wringer after every game!!! He does NOTHING well, whereas Terry does everything but scoring well and you cannot carp on her enough. Kaufman-Renn cannot even shoot a poor free throw percentage, 50% is atrocious!!! He only gets 6 points, a couple of boards and one assist a game, but he's not catching a 10th the hell you throw at Terry who leads the women in assists, rebounds, and steals while scoring 5.5 points a game average. But her performance would not be tolerated on the men's side??? And Kaufman-Renn's is acceptable???????? That's some pretty massive bullshit there.

Since you brought up the men, I did go and look at their season stats. Then I went and looked at your posting history, and I was SHOCKED you are not running Kaufman-Renn through the wringer after every game!!! He does NOTHING well, whereas Terry does everything but scoring well and you cannot carp on her enough. Kaufman-Renn cannot even shoot a poor free throw percentage, 50% is atrocious!!! He only gets 6 points, a couple of boards and one assist a game, but he's not catching a 10th the hell you throw at Terry who leads the women in assists, rebounds, and steals while scoring 5.5 points a game average. But her performance would not be tolerated on the men's side??? And Kaufman-Renn's is acceptable???????? That's some pretty massive bullshit there.
Renn is playing just under 17 minutes a games averaging 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds, if you double the minutes to equal Terry’s that’s 13 and 9, a helluve lot better than Terry’s stats. Renn is a sophomore, no doubt, a little bit of a disappointment but he’s playing on a team where he’s the 5th option, he plays really good D as well, in games I’ve watched Terry isn’t a whirlwind on that end. This statement tell me all I need to know, you really don’t watch the games, Renn busts his ass, tough to score when you don’t touch the ball much. Never thought I’d see a Renn vs Terry comparison, that’s quite a low for you really, well played! I will say this, I wish Terry played about 17 minutes a game, that would be perfect, unfortunately she’s asked to play way too many minutes, one reason why the women are lousy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Larry77 and 4IUSox2
One last thing, I’ve been tough on Terry because you for some reason have no problem ripping on every player on the team besides her. According to you she’s some irreplaceable player that Purdue won’t be able to replace next year. I actually think she’s serviceable, far from a top tier PG though.

Reactions: Larry77
Renn is playing just under 17 minutes a games averaging 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds, if you double the minutes to equal Terry’s that’s 13 and 9, a helluve lot better than Terry’s stats. Renn is a sophomore, no doubt, a little bit of a disappointment but he’s playing on a team where he’s the 5th option, he plays really good D as well, in games I’ve watched Terry isn’t a whirlwind on that end. This statement tell me all I need to know, you really don’t watch the games, Renn busts his ass, tough to score when you don’t touch the ball much. Never thought I’d see a Renn vs Terry comparison, that’s quite a low for you really, well played! I will say this, I wish Terry played about 17 minutes a game, that would be perfect, unfortunately she’s asked to play way too many minutes, one reason why the women are lousy.

Terry is #3 in assists per game in the Big Ten, no other Purdue player is in the top 25. Terry is #7 assist to TO ratio in the Big Ten, no other boiler listed. Terry is #13 in steals in the Big Ten, Abby Ellis is #17, no other boiler listed. Terry is #11 in rebounding in the Big Ten, no other boiler listed in the top 25. Al of that, and all you can see is her not scoring 20 a game, but you jump up to defend Kaufman-Renn that does nothing half as well as Terry. BTW, according to Gearlds, Terry is the second best defender on the team. Jones is less than 1-1 Assists to TOs and only has 29 assists in half the minutes Terry has to Terry's 117.

And why is comparing Renn to Terry low? You are the one that keeps dragging the men into this and how Terry would not be tolerated, but the fact Renn still starts puts the lie to that statement. You would have hated watching the national title team for the women. You would have had a complete mental breakdown over MaChelle Duhart starting with her numbers.

One last thing, I’ve been tough on Terry because you for some reason have no problem ripping on every player on the team besides her. According to you she’s some irreplaceable player that Purdue won’t be able to replace next year. I actually think she’s serviceable, far from a top tier PG though.
So if being in the top 25 in the nation in assists per game is not at least serviceable for a point guard, what the hell is your standard? I'll repeat:

Terry is #3 in assists per game in the Big Ten, no other Purdue player is in the top 25. Terry is #7 assist to TO ratio in the Big Ten, no other boiler listed. Terry is #13 in steals in the Big Ten, Abby Ellis is #17, no other boiler listed. Terry is #11 in rebounding in the Big Ten, no other boiler listed in the top 25. And you think all of that is going to be EASY to replace? Let me sell you some ocean front property in Arizona... ;) IF the seniors are going to be so easy to replace, why do the players behind them struggle so much to contribute this season?

And you think you can just go on Amazon and order a player that is that good all around for next year? I admit Terry's scoring is not optimal, but she is THE BEST PLAYER on Purdue's team, as evidenced by her being the only boiler last year to make an all Big Ten team and the only one this year with a remote chance of earning that honor again other than Jones and MA for all freshman team.

Terry is not the biggest reason this team is underperforming. She is the same player she has been all three years. Ellis is shooting a worse percentage from the 3, ft line, and inside the arc. Madison is slightly better than last year statistically, but just disappears in too many games and not as good as her sophmore year. Caitlyn only vanishes in half as many gamesas Madison, but she is statistically worse than last year as well. Smith is just a wreck, but still getting 12-15 minutes a game. Jones is hit or miss, not surprising for a freshman. MA has been a pleasant surprise, but she is not great yet either. The bench is mostly non-existent past Jones. I would love Terrry to be a 12 point per game scorer, but that is not her skill set at point. Start her at SF with a competent point guard and she would give you that, but we don't have anyone else on the freaking team that can be a halfway competent point guard BUT Terry and its not even a position she played in high school. Seh sacrifices for the team because she is the ONLY one that can run point for Purdue at this time.

Kayana Traylor, point guard for Purdue in 20-21. 36 mpg, 15 ppg 90 assists to 69 TOs. Would you prefer that stat line? That Purdue team finished 7-16. Only Brooke Moore was a double digit scorer besides Traylor because no one was passing the ball to set others up.

Sometimes you have a scoring point guard, sometimes you have one like Terry and Webb and many others in Purdue's past that struggle to score but run the team well as a floor general. It is hard to be a top 25 with a point that is less than an 8 point per game scorer, but not a single player on our roster the way they are playing this year gets minutes for most of the top 25 teams this year. IU would love to have Jones and MA for bench depth, but that is one of the few places they could get minutes IMO. A lot of coaches would not tolerate the massive inconsistency in effort from Madison and Caitlyn this season without letting the bench communicate with their butts until they showed they want to play with fire and intensity and Ellis defense because of her lack of height makes her a liability on a lot of teams.

First it was Loyer now you're trashing TKR based upon a "box score" analysis. That's rich for someone who has watched one game (or less than one) and apparently is not interested in watching another one. I still haven't seen anything positive you've said about one of the top men's team in the country and yet you profess to be a Purdue fan. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR
First it was Loyer now you're trashing TKR based upon a "box score" analysis. That's rich for someone who has watched one game (or less than one) and apparently is not interested in watching another one. I still haven't seen anything positive you've said about one of the top men's team in the country and yet you profess to be a Purdue fan. :rolleyes:
I DO NOT LIKE MEN"S BASKETBALL!!!!! Is that clear enough yet????? Being a Purdue grad and fan is not going to automatically make me care about the men's team if I no longer care to watch that game.

And I watched the whole game, second half with the sound off listening to the women's game. My point has always been, the men's game and women's games are radically different. I only brought up Renn to point out the incredible hypocrisy in saying the men's fans would riot over Terry's stat lines. If it works for Painter, good for the men's team. But I will always laugh at y'all making comparisons men to women and then getting so butt hurt when the gate swings the other way and you don't like it.

I DO NOT LIKE MEN"S BASKETBALL!!!!! Is that clear enough yet????? Being a Purdue grad and fan is not going to automatically make me care about the men's team if I no longer care to watch that game.

And I watched the whole game, second half with the sound off listening to the women's game. My point has always been, the men's game and women's games are radically different. I only brought up Renn to point out the incredible hypocrisy in saying the men's fans would riot over Terry's stat lines. If it works for Painter, good for the men's team. But I will always laugh at y'all making comparisons men to women and then getting so butt hurt when the gate swings the other way and you don't like it.
Re: "But I will always laugh at y'all making comparisons men to women and then getting so butt hurt when the gate swings the other way and you don't like it." I have no idea what your point is, but I hope you feel better by saying it. o_O

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR

My entire point on Terry is she’s a mediocre player, she’s far from someone who can’t be replaced. She’s a 5th year player that anchors a 2-8 Big Ten team going nowhere. Your knowledge is lacking, the fact that you post like some expert is befuddling, the Renn stuff was ignorant, not sure how in the world you thought comparing a women’s 5th year playing PG averaging 30 minutes a game on a bad team to a Soph 2 year playing PF averaging 17 minutes a game on a second ranked team is comparable. You have no problem taking shots at every player on the women’s team except Terry, now you’re starting to take shots at the second ranked men’s team who you don’t watch to try to prove a point. I’m a longtime mens season ticket holder, been to lots of women games, you trying to pass yourself as a expert is laughable, I’ll repeat, I don’t dislike Terry as a player, I just don’t think she’s someone that will be missed when she finally leaves the program, if Coach can’t replace her with someone better it might be time to think about a different Coach, her along with all the other “old heads” aren’t players you’re going to compete with in regards to being upper tier Big Ten, unlike yourself I think Purdue can start competing, girls like Terry won’t be missed as players, as people I’m sure they’re all quality individuals that will do well in life.

Reactions: Larry77
What a wonderful fan, let’s not watch the 2 vs 6 game but make a post about that big Purdue/Illinois tilt tonight lol, his Renn post should win an award for the worst of the early year, I guess Loyer didn’t work, let’s go to Renn next. I can guarentee Michael roots against the men’s team so he can say see I told you so.

My entire point on Terry is she’s a mediocre player, she’s far from someone who can’t be replaced. She’s a 5th year player that anchors a 2-8 Big Ten team going nowhere. Your knowledge is lacking, the fact that you post like some expert is befuddling, the Renn stuff was ignorant, not sure how in the world you thought comparing a women’s 5th year playing PG averaging 30 minutes a game on a bad team to a Soph 2 year playing PF averaging 17 minutes a game on a second ranked team is comparable. You have no problem taking shots at every player on the women’s team except Terry, now you’re starting to take shots at the second ranked men’s team who you don’t watch to try to prove a point. I’m a longtime mens season ticket holder, been to lots of women games, you trying to pass yourself as a expert is laughable, I’ll repeat, I don’t dislike Terry as a player, I just don’t think she’s someone that will be missed when she finally leaves the program, if Coach can’t replace her with someone better it might be time to think about a different Coach, her along with all the other “old heads” aren’t players you’re going to compete with in regards to being upper tier Big Ten, unlike yourself I think Purdue can start competing, girls like Terry won’t be missed as players, as people I’m sure they’re all quality individuals that will do well in life.
You are right about some of what you are putting out there:

Terry is not a great player, I have said that all along, but she is the best player on Purdue's squad and not the biggest reason we are a losing team.

You brought comparing the men's team to the women's, I am just showing you the folly of that apporach.

IF Terry was so easy for Gearlds to replace, why is there no one on the roster remotely capable of replacing her in their third year here? Again, Terry leads Purdue in assists, A to TO, steals, and rebounding and is in the top 20 in the Big Ten in all those categories. If you are the knowledgeable fan you claim to be you would recognize how rare that combination is and how its unlikely she will be easily replaced.

Terry has one of the best Assist to turnover ratios in Purdue women's history. But that means nothing to you. Scoring is the only stat you see and you miss all the nuances of the game and how important Terry has been and continues to be to this team.

Just who is going to replace Terry's contributions next year? Ellis is fairly easy, Caitlyn a little tougher, but Terry is not going to be easy at all.

And let's both amp down a little and keep this civil but still spirited. ;)

But you are also right there are no players older than the freshmen that are the types of players to compete for upper half of the Big Ten. We delayed the rebuild by chasing fast results in the portal. But the core for a good team will be on campus next year. They will be young, weak physically compared to older players, and need a lot of coaching and seasoning. We likely won't have a winning season next year either as the youngsters take their lumps, but in two years, we will know how good our coaches are and if we are on the path to the upper half or chasing down a blind dead end alley.

Or we can again chase immediate results in the portal with more players like the current 5th years and lose half the freshmen and just keep kicking that painful rebuild year down the road.

Last edited:
One other factor for tonight's game, both Purdue and Illinois are barely clinging to any post season hopes, the list of this game realistically has no real shot for the WNIT, not that either are in good shape anyway. We need to play with the same effort as we did IU, not the effort we gave against Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT