ADVERTISEMENT

If you have 2 QBs.....

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
As the old saying goes: If you have 2 QBs, you have none.
I hate the platooning of 2 QBs.
Brohm needs to pick one and ride him. I don't believe in the 'hot hand' thing.
As for which one? I think you have to go with ES. He gives you more options, can make all the throws, etc.
DB is more of a game manager. Doesn't stretch the field, doesn't throw a very good mid-range (15-20 yard) ball.

Just look back at last season. It sure seemed as if ES "blossomed" when he was the only choice available (or reasonable choice). Not sure if it was just coincidence, the reps, knowing he was playing, etc., but it sure seemed that way.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I honestly thought that when Eli was granted the start against Northwestern, there was a chance that it could stick. But then he crapped the bed. It seems like whenever they both play, the backup plays better, earns the next start, and then the reverse happens the next game. A vicious cycle. Hopefully next year we get away from it and Eli plays the whole season as the starter. Then in 2020 it can be a camp battle between Plummer and Sipe, with Plummer likely winning from what we've been told.

I'm a believer in chemistry in the offense and I think having musical QBs has an impact (not a good one) in terms of the connection between the QB, his WR and Oline.
I think you pick one and live/die with him. ES has got the NFL size, arm, etc. and has shown the ability to win. He's also shown a lack of poise but I just don't think DB is a big enough uprade to keep rotating.

I've been a strong DB lean, but it is obvious that Brohm won't call the plays that would allow Blough to stretch the field. Lets roll with Sindelar and see what happens.

Reactions: pboiler18
I've been a strong DB lean, but it is obvious that Brohm won't call the plays that would allow Blough to stretch the field. Lets roll with Sindelar and see what happens.
I think the issue is more David's inability to see some things downfield because of his lack of height. I would have to really go back and look but from my memory, Blough appears to take a lot of his deep shots when Purdue moves the pocket which is likely to get him the ability to see the field...it also limits the side of the field to go deep on.

Against this Missouri defense, I'd say the better option is Sindelar given the RB's appear to have the ability this season to create things in the running game....just can't keep putting the ball on the ground.

Easy answer then. Move the pocket. That's something we haven't done a lot of yet this year.

Brees was short too. ;)
Blocking scheme was different as well. Lots of cut blocks and such because the running game wasn't as important in Tiller's offense (use of the bubble screen and other short routes). Offensive lineman in Tiller's offense essentially were this: Tackles moved to Guards and TE's beefed up to play T. Tiller also took a lot of highly skilled defensive lineman and turned them in to very good offensive lineman (Uche Nwarneri for example who played for Jacksonville and Dallas).

Blocking scheme was different as well. Lots of cut blocks and such because the running game wasn't as important in Tiller's offense (use of the bubble screen and other short routes). Offensive lineman in Tiller's offense essentially were this: Tackles moved to Guards and TE's beefed up to play T. Tiller also took a lot of highly skilled defensive lineman and turned them in to very good offensive lineman (Uche Nwarneri for example who played for Jacksonville and Dallas).

Tiller used the vertical passing game really sparingly. Brees took his shots, and had some success but he didn't have many consistent deep threats to throw to. He had a lot of possession receivers and used the 3-7 yard out basically as the run game. That's why PU would move the ball between the 20s but struggle in the red zone. DB is similar in size to Brees, but that's where the similarities end.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
At this point, the coaches just have to go with the buy they feel can do what they want. Statistically, we are talking about the same quarterback when looking at career numbers. I realize DB has had more opportunities (just over 2* the passes attempted), but it's come to the point to pick one.

ES: 56.0 %Comp 6.3 Y/A 20 TD 13 INT 118.8 Rating
DB: 58.8 %Comp 6.2 Y/A 44 TD 33 INT 118.8 Rating

At this point, the coaches just have to go with the buy they feel can do what they want. Statistically, we are talking about the same quarterback when looking at career numbers. I realize DB has had more opportunities (just over 2* the passes attempted), but it's come to the point to pick one.

ES: 56.0 %Comp 6.3 Y/A 20 TD 13 INT 118.8 Rating
DB: 58.8 %Comp 6.2 Y/A 44 TD 33 INT 118.8 Rating
Wow that’s crazy.

I'd like a further exploration into % of drives that resulted in points and % of drives that resulted in 3 and outs.

Are those stats attainable?

I say Eli looks better (eye test). As the stats show above they are equal.

But at this point it has been 14 games and counting with QB musical chairs. Flip a coin and just go with it.

I think the issue is more David's inability to see some things downfield because of his lack of height. I would have to really go back and look but from my memory, Blough appears to take a lot of his deep shots when Purdue moves the pocket which is likely to get him the ability to see the field...it also limits the side of the field to go deep on.

Against this Missouri defense, I'd say the better option is Sindelar given the RB's appear to have the ability this season to create things in the running game....just can't keep putting the ball on the ground.

Both QBs have dropped in efficiency over last year - although splitting time over 2 games isn't the greatest stats to work with.

I think overall, we have 2 upperclassmen QBs that we're rotating on. It's not a good sign when they're both upperclassmen. Usually you see it like Clemson - an experienced guy and a true freshman. This simply means neither have really grabbed the reins, which is not what you want to see.

There's still time - I think we need to settle on one over the next game or two. We can't do this all season.

Tiller used the vertical passing game really sparingly. Brees took his shots, and had some success but he didn't have many consistent deep threats to throw to. He had a lot of possession receivers and used the 3-7 yard out basically as the run game. That's why PU would move the ball between the 20s but struggle in the red zone. DB is similar in size to Brees, but that's where the similarities end.
Well, they are both from TX also.

Well, they are both from TX also.
and same initials.
I say Eli looks better (eye test). As the stats show above they are equal.

But at this point it has been 14 games and counting with QB musical chairs. Flip a coin and just go with it.
I say go w/ Eli, this platooning is no good. By playing a half a game , you're not getting the experience and getting into a groove. At this rate, by the time Eli is a Sr. he'll have a year and a half experience. As I said during the game, Blough doesn't stretch the field and the opposing teams just compact the D. Also a drive will take more plays w/ him due to the short passes so there's a higher percentage of stalled drives. Besides all the turnovers on saturday, I was surprised that w/ the running game working so well, we didn't use play action alot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT