ADVERTISEMENT

If/when Trump wins the GOP nomination...

Toast.

All-American
May 10, 2011
Denver
...what happens with the VP spot? The GOP clearly believes that Trump is hurting their brand, as we've seen some of the most visible members of the party in Ryan and Haley make pointed statements denouncing his rhetoric/policy.

With that in mind, it seems highly unlikely to me that an A-list type Republican is going to want to tie their career to a guy like Trump -- it could be very damaging to their own future IMO and it seems highly unlikely that he can win a general election. Trump as a candidate likely needs an experienced politician that is relatively moderate to help balance him out. Ideally for the GOP that would come from a rather moderate state in hopes of grabbing a swing state, but I can't see any moderate up for the job. So do you grab someone at the end of their career? Or someone from a conservative state where being tied to Trump may not damage their future?

...what happens with the VP spot? The GOP clearly believes that Trump is hurting their brand, as we've seen some of the most visible members of the party in Ryan and Haley make pointed statements denouncing his rhetoric/policy.

With that in mind, it seems highly unlikely to me that an A-list type Republican is going to want to tie their career to a guy like Trump -- it could be very damaging to their own future IMO and it seems highly unlikely that he can win a general election. Trump as a candidate likely needs an experienced politician that is relatively moderate to help balance him out. Ideally for the GOP that would come from a rather moderate state in hopes of grabbing a swing state, but I can't see any moderate up for the job. So do you grab someone at the end of their career? Or someone from a conservative state where being tied to Trump may not damage their future?

Wouldn't be surprised to see him pick someone outside of politics actually. A lot of his success has to do with he is not a politician. I could see him picking a business/military background type.

Right now, it looks like Iowa is his biggest hurdle to the nomination. If he loses Iowa to Cruz, it would obviously give Cruz some needed momentum in some other states. Trump is currently polling well in the next few primaries after New Hampshire, but Cruz is right behind him.

With the stock market volatility, it could be great timing for Trump to find a bump in Iowa. Right now, Trump has been focused on the Cruz/Canadian citizenship instead of the economic news (something that Trump could position himself well on), which I'm not sure if that will pay off or not. But it goes to show that Trump is more about controversy-of-the-month than any substance to his campaign.

Carl Icahn

Reactions: BoilersRock
Ted Cruz..gives him Texas
Think most will be surprised, will get a lot of votes from his celebrity status. Unfortunately that's what our elections have turned into, not about substance rather how you look on tv.

I would say since Reagan......LBJ, Nixon, Carter not exactly media savvy

I mean, let's be honest - comparing Trump to other "media savvy" Presidents is offensive to them. Trump is extremely scarce on details (on serious subjects), his plans are completely unrealistic (which is not unique to him per se - but some of his are just outlandish - like how when he's President, he will make department stores say Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays), etc.

But hey, being simplistic and over the top has won him a lot of support. Overall, it's a dangerous path, but short term it works (Sarah Palinesque).

I mean, let's be honest - comparing Trump to other "media savvy" Presidents is offensive to them. Trump is extremely scarce on details (on serious subjects), his plans are completely unrealistic (which is not unique to him per se - but some of his are just outlandish - like how when he's President, he will make department stores say Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays), etc.

But hey, being simplistic and over the top has won him a lot of support. Overall, it's a dangerous path, but short term it works (Sarah Palinesque).
You are too smart for this. You really think he plans on making department stores say Merry Christmas? Can you not tell a joke/hyperbole apart from a real statement? When a basketball coach says we are gonna kill those guys, are you afraid for the players lives on the other team? Trump isn't religious. He's just having some fun at the expense of the PC police that have come back into favor. If he REALLY wanted department stores to say Merry Christmas, he has enough money and power to make it so without being POTUS...

Reactions: indyogb
You are too smart for this. You really think he plans on making department stores say Merry Christmas? Can you not tell a joke/hyperbole apart from a real statement? When a basketball coach says we are gonna kill those guys, are you afraid for the players lives on the other team? Trump isn't religious. He's just having some fun at the expense of the PC police that have come back into favor. If he REALLY wanted department stores to say Merry Christmas, he has enough money and power to make it so without being POTUS...
so he was joking about making apple manufacture in the US?

Is it also hyperbole that he wants to kick people out of this country and ban people based on their religion?

Is it also hyperbole that he wants to kick people out of this country and ban people based on their religion?
yes of course. He might try to slow down immigration rates, but he's not going to kick anyone out anymore than obama shut down guantanamo. Or you know, unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America. Or I'll eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and startups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow. Or I will cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families, because, in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle class.

Maybe one day we can all quit believing these people?

looks like Palin is going to endorse Trump today. A Trump-Palin ticket would be the single greatest thing to happen. Ever.

looks like Palin is going to endorse Trump today. A Trump-Palin ticket would be the single greatest thing to happen. Ever.

Has to be a tic.... And as for making apple produce in the USA. That's a bit hypocritical don't you think? He's done his fair share of outsourcing himself. I love how so many actually believe a word that comes out of his mouth

At this point, I'd say the chances of Trump winning the nomination are over 50%...maybe not much over, but he has to be considered the favorite. There aren't going to be any "gaffes" that do him in, and none of the other candidates are going to do anything to catch fire...so the only remaining possibility other than him winning the nomination is if the polls simply are wrong, and when folks step into the booth they decide they can't pull the level for Donald.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT