ADVERTISEMENT

IF Brohm Leaves

So you want to compete with Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan by primarily running the ball? Do you understand what that takes? That would fail miserably at Purdue...
Not sure I agree that every coach Purdue looks at has to be an air-it-out type. Lot of that just has to do with your personnel.
Personally, I'd like to see more QBs who are not pure pocket passers and can do damage with their legs. That's what the NFL has moved to. Also the reason UM beat PU in the B10 championship: QB could get away from the rush and make things happen.

The real question is does Brian always want to be in the shadow of his brother by just being a QB coach while Jeff calls the plays? I’m not sure if Brian wants to be a head coach but I’m sure it’s crossed his mind before. Everything is a big “IF” right now but maybe Purdue doesn’t look to far if something does happen. Whatever happens I want a guy that wants to be here and brings high energy to the the team!
Didn't Brian interview for the Houston job a few years back???

I agree. Purdue has the money. They just need to spend it, and spend it well. I wasn't a fan of Brohm getting what he got after year 2, but it is what it is.
Largely because of CJB, Purdue is in a better position now than before to keep this thing from turning into a bidding war. Bobinski needs to take the bull by the horns and move forward at a pace that is fair to CJB and the program.

Ok well Tressel was my choice when we hired Brohm. Obviously he’s probably not a good choice now. Tressel had success before he came to OSU. I will agree his recruiting success at OSU was due in large part due to it being OSU. I’m not sure he would have enjoyed the same recruiting success at Purdue. Compared with past Purdue coaches, and also BIG 10 coaches, Brohm is one of the top 5 recruiters. He has even improved his recruitment of o linemen!

However, you bring up a good idea! Our current team doesn’t really compete with uw, mich or OSU. Sure, we’ve pulled off a couple of upsets, But if we were to play OSU every year, our ten year record would be 2-8. And our records against mich and UW would be 0-10.

Maybe to compete against uw, we need to change our style of play and our recruiting priorities! It’s a matter of are we satisfied with going 8-4, or do we want to build a team that would actually compete for a championship? And yes, admittedly, that would require a complete change of style and personnel.

Largely because of CJB, Purdue is in a better position now than before to keep this thing from turning into a bidding war. Bobinski needs to take the bull by the horns and move forward at a pace that is fair to CJB and the program.
I think it is pretty unlikely that Purdue does much to sweeten Brohm's comp this time. My sense from the totality of the reporting is that the administration has basically decided that it is time for Brohm to fish or cut bait with UL, and it is not going to allow UL to be a basis for renegotiating his comp every couple of years. Especially, when UL by its own admission is unlikely to be able to offer a comp package that is on par with what Purdue is paying.

I think it is pretty unlikely that Purdue does much to sweeten Brohm's comp this time. My sense from the totality of the reporting is that the administration has basically decided that it is time for Brohm to fish or cut bait with UL, and it is not going to allow UL to be a basis for renegotiating his comp every couple of years. Especially, when UL by its own admission is unlikely to be able to offer a comp package that is on par with what Purdue is paying.
I say pay him whatever is needed to keep him. It's not like it's coming out of anyone's pocket. There's a reason the best coaches make the most money.

"Tradition as an offensive guy" is meaningless to me. Whatever "offense" means. I don't want style points, I want wins. And first and foremost a coach who can develop a mentality of OL and DL toughness, and a running game that will work in bad weather and the cold. Michigan and others have shown us you can have both. Hell, our offensive MVP this year as far as I'm concerned is Mockobee and the OL gets a lot of credit for that. And overall our DL was real tough this year. Build off of that!
That sounds like the Colletto and Haze plan of, “hey let’s control the line of scrimmage and run the ball like we did when I was at Ohio State.”

Has never worked here. We don’t get enough 4 and 5 star OLs and tailbacks.

I concur. I want him to stay but I don't want to do this every 3 years and renegotiate based on the cloud of Louisville in the air.

That sounds like the Colletto and Haze plan of, “hey let’s control the line of scrimmage and run the ball like we did when I was at Ohio State.”

right, remember Rob Henry at QB? We would need to battle the big boys for the OL and they don’t grow on trees in Indiana. Strength and Development program would need to be in place. It took Michigan a few years to get where they are. NIL battle would be heavy for those type of players now.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Not sure I agree that every coach Purdue looks at has to be an air-it-out type. Lot of that just has to do with your personnel.
Personally, I'd like to see more QBs who are not pure pocket passers and can do damage with their legs. That's what the NFL has moved to. Also the reason UM beat PU in the B10 championship: QB could get away from the rush and make things happen.
All the good Purdue teams in my lifetime won games by out-throwing the opposition.

I totally agree Purdue has never been very successful in recruiting 4/5 star o linemen. That makes me ask why. Indiana is full of great linemen but Iowa seems to always be their destination. Even IU recruits better lineman than Purdue.

What’s the drawing card to Iowa? Their line coach? Their success going to the nfl? Their strength and conditioning program? Their recruiting priorities and emphasis? Iowa picked up two commitments from Indiana linemen. What can Purdue do to change this?

I’ve driven through the state of Iowa. It’s not a place I’d want to spend. 5 years of my life attending college.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Players we have never successfully recruited at Purdue, at least not in my lifetime.
Mine either and I’ve been around a long time. Don’t understand why they can’t or maybe they don’t try to based on the style of play.

That Rose Bowl team with Brees had the best offensive line Purdue has ever had. At the time they were playing basketball on grass and not smash mouth football.

I don't know about the administration, but that's how I would feel in their place. I think those rumors that seemed strange a while back have at least some truth to them; this is starting to look like it was, indeed, set in motion a while ago (and it sounds like Louisville was kind of the instigator by trying to force Satterfield out). I don't really have any ill will towards Brohm or Louisville. I appreciate Brohm resuscitating us from the dead and I understand Louisville trying to do what's best for themselves. I hope Purdue's next coach can keep us from collapsing back into the abyss.

Reactions: RBryant311

Airing it out vs being a primarily run based offense like Tressell ball are two different things. There's nothing wrong with being balanced. But Tressel's version of offense is long antiquated in the college game. It may have worked at OSU. But it would not work at Purdue...

And I agree with your second statement. Having a statue for a QB at Purdue isn't a smart move. A guy that's mobile is what's needed. He doesn't have to be Lamar-esque. But he sure has to run faster than a 5.4 in the 40...

I agree with this completely. If he wants to be gone, let him go. He's not THAT good that he needs to get paid $7MM a year, which is what's being rumored from UofL.

I don't know about the administration, but that's how I would feel in their place. I think those rumors that seemed strange a while back have at least some truth to them; this is starting to look like it was, indeed, set in motion a while ago (and it sounds like Louisville was kind of the instigator by trying to force Satterfield out). I don't really have any ill will towards Brohm or Louisville. I appreciate Brohm resuscitating us from the dead and I understand Louisville trying to do what's best for themselves. I hope Purdue's next coach can keep us from collapsing back into the abyss.

Brohm was the instigator in this with what he said this past summer. He was essentially stating that if you fire Satterfield after the season, I'm your man...

Mine either and I’ve been around a long time. Don’t understand why they can’t or maybe they don’t try to based on the style of play.

That Rose Bowl team with Brees had the best offensive line Purdue has ever had. At the time they were playing basketball on grass and not smash mouth football.
It’s just unlikely that we’re going to consistently beat out ND, OSU, and Michigan for those kids. There have been a bunch of big time OLs come out of the metro Indy area the last few years that we’ve gone after, and they’ve all gone to ND or OSU.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Airing it out vs being a primarily run based offense like Tressell ball are two different things. There's nothing wrong with being balanced. But Tressel's version of offense is long antiquated in the college game. It may have worked at OSU. But it would not work at Purdue...

And I agree with your second statement. Having a statue for a QB at Purdue isn't a smart move. A guy that's mobile is what's needed. He doesn't have to be Lamar-esque. But he sure has to run faster than a 5.4 in the 40...
Obviously we’d all love to get a Bryce Young or Caleb Williams type.

But if we have to pick between a great runner who is a mediocre passer and a great passer who is a mediocre runner, I’ll take the latter.

I’ve driven through the state of Iowa. It’s not a place I’d want to spend. 5 years of my life attending college.

Iowa City is a great college town and very impressive. The same could be said for Lawrence, Kansas. Personally I have no desire to live in either state, but both are great college towns.

My point in comparing the two is that while both have great college towns, only one has seen sustained success on the football field. The only time Iowa has been really bad has been for the final year of Hayden Fry's tenure and first two of Ferentz. So for a recruit, do you go to a school with close to 40 years of sustained success or one with a more moderate up and down history.

How exactly did he state this?

"To be quite honest, through my schooling and how I was raised, I believe in at least trying to do the right thing and having morals and values. It just was too early to leave (Purdue for U of L then). It just wasn't right.

"You build relationships. People treat you right. The people there have treated me great. You talk to recruits and they asked me things. Just a lot of things went into it.

"But, obviously, now we're on year six. I love this town, this area. I'm an alumnus of Louisville. So anything can happen in the future."

If that last sentence doesn't sound like an invitation for a job offer, I'm not sure what does... And all of his talk about integrity is a bunch of BS. Satterfield didn't help himself. But he pretty much got Satterfield on a hotter seat than he should have been...

Louisville board saying it’s about done and should expect announcement tomorrow or Thursday with presser most likely friday
Be interesting to see how UofL pays Jeff $7MM and still has enough to pay for decent assistant salaries.

There are run blocking O-lines and ther are pass protection O-lines. Drew's line was the latter (hence why they did the entire Speedo "Lifeguard" schtick). Part of those guys ended up at New England, where they ended up protecting one of the greatest passers of all time, and that wasn't by mistake.

Road grader O-linemen are harder to find, make and keep healthy. There was a reason Tiller looked for big body types with good footwork (like TE's) that could have bulk and muscle to. Those guys just had to keep the pocket whole, not open holes up for the RB. And to the point of todays game, protection is more important than projection when so much money is tied up in the QB.

I think the NFL's infatuation with running QB's has cooled. They still have a place in college ball, but if your 20 million dollar investment tries to eek out that last 5 yards the way he used to at good old state U and ends up injured, your season is basically over. McNair was the only QB I ever saw make it past a few years still running, but that guy was a brute.

I'd like to see Shephard come home as either HC or OC and Hagen as DC. Spend the money on great coordinators, assistants, and recruiters...stop having the HC call plays.
Shephard did a good job in Washington this year helping with that offense and QB Penix. He would bring some excitement on the sidelines and the recruiting trail.

I realize Purdue doesn’t recruit well against OSU. Brohm has made tremendous progress in his recruiting. The battles he has to win are against IU, Iowa and IL. For some strange reason IU has been able to recruit some decent linemen from Indiana. And Iowa always steals a good lineman from Indiana.

They say the best recruiting tools are your assistant coaches and ability to put players in the NFL. Iowa doesn’t recruit many 4/5 star linemen. But they do develop the linemen they recruit.

Rather than worrying about a replacement for Brohm, Maybe we should look at finding a known offensive line coach that can both recruit and develop linemen!

Last edited:
Shephard did a good job in Washington this year helping with that offense and QB Penix. He would bring some excitement on the sidelines and the recruiting trail.
Maybe Brian as HC, Jamarcus at OC, then get a rockstar DC?

Reactions: TX4GB
In their latter years, Paterno and Bowden were more of a figurehead than coach. It was their assistants that did all the recruiting, work, coaching and winning. Maybe we should follow their lead and invest in some better assistants! I’d like to hire some assistants with proven records rather than the usual shifting a coach from one area to another!

Be interesting to see how UofL pays Jeff $7MM and still has enough to pay for decent assistant salaries.
Becuase brohm is football royalty in Louisville and the amount of booster money that would pour into the program will be the highest we’ve ever seen

Friends have Heard it’s a done deal from a purdue guy so we shall see Thursday what the deal is

That press conference on Monday was a totally buzzkill in my mind but Jeff has never been a real excited guy when it comes to answering questions and talking to the media which is totally fine so I didn’t put much thought into it but if something is going to happen it needs to be done sooner than later. You can’t let that crap drag out like last time so it hurts both schools!! A loyal coach to his word means everything to players and recruits! Louisville athletics are a dumpster fire so don’t let that mess up what Purdues got going for them. Do I want Brohm to stay? Absolutely! Do I want this crap looming over program every few years? Absolutely not!
If Brohm is your man make him your man! Either way Purdue needs to do every thing in their power to keep Hagan, that man can recruit!! Boiler Up!

Reactions: PurdueGirl85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT