ADVERTISEMENT

IF Brohm Leaves

If Brohm really wants to be here offer him a long term contract he can’t turn down but if he wants to beat around the bush every time the job offer comes up let him walk. I understand it’s a tough situation for him but that puts Purdue in a crappy situation year in and year out when it comes to recruiting. Last time I checked recruiting and coaching builds a program. It’s also going to kill the mood of any good transfer portal guy that’s considering Purdue if that’s always looming over the program. I just hope one day Purdue football can find a coach like Painter for the program!

If Brohm really wants to be here offer him a long term contract he can’t turn down but if he wants to beat around the bush every time the job offer comes up let him walk. I understand it’s a tough situation for him but that puts Purdue in a crappy situation year in and year out when it comes to recruiting. Last time I checked recruiting and coaching builds a program. It’s also going to kill the mood of any good transfer portal guy that’s considering Purdue if that’s always looming over the program. I just hope one day Purdue football can find a coach like Painter for the program!
I don't think he would be looking at anyplace else, the issue is it's Louisville and that's always why you go back to reunions to see the first love of your life that got away. Only to go and realize she's put on 80 pounds and a stache worthy of a Purdue football coach. Anyway, unless they're going to be looking for a coach every 2 years or so (which is always in the realm of possibility) I think if he stays this time he stays for good.

I don't think he would be looking at anyplace else, the issue is it's Louisville and that's always why you go back to reunions to see the first love of your life that got away. Only to go and realize she's put on 80 pounds and a stache worthy of a Purdue football coach. Anyway, unless they're going to be looking for a coach every 2 years or so (which is always in the realm of possibility) I think if he stays this time he stays for good.
That’s a good one! Lol

the one drawback of Mullen I heard is he's not a fan of recruiting
I think it was Florida not getting 4 & 5 stars at the rate fans expected. He did coach under Urban, he did really well at Mississippi state comparable to Purdue.

What are Hope and Miles doing these days? My two previous favorites Tressel and Bowden are both an available.

Cryst wasn’t bad at UW. He made just one mistake allowing Mertz to be his starting QB. Mertz was a disaster for their program. His only decent game was against Purdue.

Don’t make the mistake Nebraska made. Hire someone who has had success against big 10 type of teams. Don’t bring in someone who had success against totally different type of teams. The guy at UTSA would be a horrible big 10 coach!

I remember Hazell wanted really quick defensive linemen rather than big ones. And they spent 3 quarters running around offensive linemen rather than through them. By the 4th quarter those quick linemen had zero energy left and teams like uw ran right over them and ran out the clock with game ending drives!

You need an experienced coach with ties to power 5 competition and also success. You also need somebody who can recruit. Placing a priority on offensive linemen would be nice. Look at what Illinois did. Lovey Smith was a disaster as he had zero experience against big 10 teams. Belimia had knowledge of what it takes to win in the big 10. And he had success!

Cryst would not be a bad idea!

"Tradition as an offensive guy" is meaningless to me. Whatever "offense" means. I don't want style points, I want wins. And first and foremost a coach who can develop a mentality of OL and DL toughness, and a running game that will work in bad weather and the cold. Michigan and others have shown us you can have both. Hell, our offensive MVP this year as far as I'm concerned is Mockobee and the OL gets a lot of credit for that. And overall our DL was real tough this year. Build off of that!

If Jeff Brohm goes to Louisville , I am sure he takes his brothers Brian and Greg Brohm with him
The real question is does Brian always want to be in the shadow of his brother by just being a QB coach while Jeff calls the plays? I’m not sure if Brian wants to be a head coach but I’m sure it’s crossed his mind before. Everything is a big “IF” right now but maybe Purdue doesn’t look to far if something does happen. Whatever happens I want a guy that wants to be here and brings high energy to the the team!

Every time the new coach question comes up, everyone wants to make a splash with a big name hire (Colorado). Which, I'm in agreement with. I think the worse thing you can do is hire someone nobody has heard of, that recruits/portal guys have never heard of,
I think UW hit a home run with Fickel.

MBob has shown with Brohm, he's willing to play the money game.

I agree. Purdue has the money. They just need to spend it, and spend it well. I wasn't a fan of Brohm getting what he got after year 2, but it is what it is.

The real question is does Brian always want to be in the shadow of his brother by just being a QB coach while Jeff calls the plays? I’m not sure if Brian wants to be a head coach but I’m sure it’s crossed his mind before. Everything is a big “IF” right now but maybe Purdue doesn’t look to far if something does happen. Whatever happens I want a guy that wants to be here and brings high energy to the the team!
Didn't Brian Brohm interview for the Kentucky OC position? I don't see Brian saying no to a Big Ten head coaching opportunity.

What are Hope and Miles doing these days? My two previous favorites Tressel and Bowden are both an available.

Cryst wasn’t bad at UW. He made just one mistake allowing Mertz to be his starting QB. Mertz was a disaster for their program. His only decent game was against Purdue.

Don’t make the mistake Nebraska made. Hire someone who has had success against big 10 type of teams. Don’t bring in someone who had success against totally different type of teams. The guy at UTSA would be a horrible big 10 coach!

I remember Hazell wanted really quick defensive linemen rather than big ones. And they spent 3 quarters running around offensive linemen rather than through them. By the 4th quarter those quick linemen had zero energy left and teams like uw ran right over them and ran out the clock with game ending drives!

You need an experienced coach with ties to power 5 competition and also success. You also need somebody who can recruit. Placing a priority on offensive linemen would be nice. Look at what Illinois did. Lovey Smith was a disaster as he had zero experience against big 10 teams. Belimia had knowledge of what it takes to win in the big 10. And he had success!

Cryst would not be a bad idea!
Tressel would be an interesting choice. He was the best manager of the clock I’ve ever seen.

Tyson Helton could be a good fit. Fun offense. Similar situation to Brohm when he was hired.

It would not under the current roster. He would have to recruit totally different players for his style of play.
So you want to compete with Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan by primarily running the ball? Do you understand what that takes? That would fail miserably at Purdue...

So you want to compete with Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan by primarily running the ball? Do you understand what that takes? That would fail miserably at Purdue...
I guess we’ll never know if we don’t try. I still believe now with the rules changed with the transfer portal it can be done. Maybe a Tressel is a better recruiter and could get those type of players.

I guess we’ll never know if we don’t try. I still believe now with the rules changed with the transfer portal it can be done. Maybe a Tressel is a better recruiter and could get those type of players.

Uhm no, Tressel is a has been. He only got those players because he was at Ohio State...

Tressell is president at Youngstown St. He is 70 and hasn’t coached since 2010 it looks like.

Reactions: Section44
ADVERTISEMENT