ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas and thoughts about next year thread

Still missing the point. Pre-NIL CMP recruited the kids who couldn't really advance in the tourney. Not really about affording or not affording.

He's the culprit, not the kids....his system doesn't work in a tourney.
I disagree if you mean his offense. Shrewsberry is the designer of this offense. If you mean something else, then this doesn't address that. But his offense is highly respected. I do think focusing on a back to the basket big is a problem. But!!!... his offense gets a ton of open shots from outside. But hell, ya' gotta knock a few down.

Reactions: Boiler8285
When it comes to the press perhaps Painter and staff should take note of what Miami did to IU when IU started pressing. As soon as they broke the press, the pushed it up and scored. We seemingly wait around for the defense to reset to stop us.

You could see IU break after Miami cleared the press for a couple of quick baskets.

When it comes to the press perhaps Painter and staff should take note of what Miami did to IU when IU started pressing. As soon as they broke the press, the pushed it up and scored. We seemingly wait around for the defense to reset to stop us.

You could see IU break after Miami cleared the press for a couple of quick baskets.
We just need to make Wong, Pack, and Omeir better offers this spring.

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Or you know we could use the pieces we have on our team to score quick buckets? I am just an internet nobody so what do I know
Mason and Braden tried…Newman, Loyer and Morton can’t… Jimmie’s and Joes, not Xs and Os…

Hopefully Painter is fund raising for the NIL war chest as we speak…

That's the $1 million question. Why couldn't anyone hit the open shots? Painter recruited top shooters who have proved it in games. Then, like some communicable disease, the entire team came down with a morbid fear of shooting. If it's psychological, then it's like some sort of mass hysteria.

What is happening in practice, the film room, the locker room, or team meetings that turned one of the top offenses in the nation into a bunch of kids with no idea what to do with the basketball?
Right. I guess I'd counter by saying this was hardly the first time that they've had games where they can't hit anything from the outside, so it's not as though this was a first time occurrence.

I saw the following headline in the IUStar, "The Most Intimidating Sight This Season? Ben Davis' Full-Court Press", and I immediately thought that Painter should invite the team to Mackey and figure out how to beat it.

Mason and Braden tried…Newman, Loyer and Morton can’t… Jimmie’s and Joes, not Xs and Os…

Hopefully Painter is fund raising for the NIL war chest as we speak…
Maybe we don't need to break the bank but here is a kid in the portal. Was the leading scorer for his team and has roots in Indiana.

YES! BUT! Ya' gotta have those quick guards!

Right. I guess I'd counter by saying this was hardly the first time that they've had games where they can't hit anything from the outside, so it's not as though this was a first time occurrence.
That's my point. It went down-hill and never came back. We saw flashes of the swagger returning for a half in some games, but then they would stop hitting open shots. It looked like most of the team was in a slump the entire 2nd half of the B10. I kept hoping they would come out of it the way Carsen did in the tournament his last year, but it obviously didn't happen.

And I don't buy the notion from some people on this board saying that these guys are not good shooters. Newman and Loyer were among the best shooters in their classes. Smith, Furst, and Gillis had all shown that they could consistently hit their shots against top competition. I don't know that I have ever seen an entire team go into a shooting slump together and stay there for the remainder of the season.

Sign me up!

also not sure why we aren’t recruiting Windham from BD. He looks like what we need…
No clue either. I don’t think anyone knows exactly. Perhaps Painter feels he is in a good spot with Harris and Perry that it could cost him a chance?

With you and I, yes.

Is it with our coaching staff tho? We only have 1 dude on the entire roster that has really good handles IMO…
That is a great question. We will know more in 6 months. Does Colvin have handles? Does Heide? Will Braden, Lowyer, Waddell develop them? Will TKR become more than a slow back-downer? I doubt Newman, Morton, Gillis, Furst, or Edey develop them.

Last edited:
That is a great question. We will know more in 6 months. Does Colvin have handles? Does Heide? Will Braden, Lowyer, Waddel develop them?
Colvin has enough speed and power to get by with just OK handles IMO. Like, Jaden didn’t have a tight handle, but he was by you before you could get a hand on the ball…

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Where do we see Heide fitting into the lineup? Can he earn a starting role next year?
He looks great in warmups athletically, I never really see him shoot though, he’s usually showing off the dunks lol. He looks to be around 6-6, he looks the part, I can’t comment on his game though, never have saw him play. Anyone got anything on him?

Reactions: Schnelk
He looks great in warmups athletically, I never really see him shoot though, he’s usually showing off the dunks lol. He looks to be around 6-6, he looks the part, I can’t comment on his game though, never have saw him play. Anyone got anything on him?
There is nothing on him at this level. Never played a minute. He has practiced a lot against good, but not quick, players

There is nothing on him at this level. Never played a minute. He has practiced a lot against good, but not quick, players
Agreed, he loves to show off in pregame, his dunks are ridiculous. That means nothing though, can he shoot? Can he get to the hoop when defended?

Agreed, he loves to show off in pregame, his dunks are ridiculous. That means nothing though, can he shoot? Can he get to the hoop when defended?
Can he defend? Does he want to? Does he get floor burns? Who is he as an overall player?

That’s exactly why he shouldn’t have redshirted. He could have played the Waddell role earlier in the year and proved he could play more . I don’t understand the shirt thing when these guys can leave anytime without sitting a year

Ok, I've had a shot or two before noon. Let's prioritize.
1. a super quick basket attacker
2. a damned get a shot, make the shot guy
3. a Harlem Globetrotter's ball handler
4. a pissed off, chip on their shoulder, "bring it" mentality
5. a guard who does not fit and may not play well in the B1G

Reactions: boiler-deuce
That’s exactly why he shouldn’t have redshirted. He could have played the Waddell role earlier in the year and proved he could play more . I don’t understand the shirt thing when these guys can leave anytime without sitting a year
Exactly. The scholarship you use on a shirt could have been used on a plug and play Portal guard, if you have the $.

Unfortunately, Purdue does not have the personel.

Smith was really the only guy who could push the ball up the court whether it be by pass or dribbling.

Its amazing to me how purdue has so few players without the ability to push the ball.

Gillis tried once and literally dribbled the ball right out bounds. Looked like an elementary kid trying to dribble the ball on a fast break.

Would love to see some of the players take ball to the hoop, instead of Edey camping down low, clogging up lane , while everyone stands at the 3 point line. Edey could set a high pick , instead of camping down in lane. And stopping the drive to basket on defense would be a good thing, it’s gonna happen but way to much this year and in the past
Who? We don't have those type of players. Smith and Jenkins are probably the only two that could create a decent shot opportunity off of the dribble. NO ONE ELSE CAN...that's the problem with this team.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Who? We don't have those type of players. Smith and Jenkins are probably the only two that could create a decent shot opportunity off of the dribble. NO ONE ELSE CAN...that's the problem with this team.
Notice i said some not all , and maybe some can but with Painters offense style , they didn't

that did Illini a lot of good.
I think you could get away with bringing in one 'gun for hire' in the backcourt for next year's team. Illinois tried to do it with most of their team and in fairness, they probably wouldn't have made the NCAAT had they not.

Jared Bynum - guard from Providence is in the portal. Granted, think he follows Cooley to Georgetown.

Jefferson Koulibaly - guard from SMU.

Jameer Nelson Jr - man I feel old that he has a son in college.... he will probably end up at Georgetown or PSU.....

That is my early wish list....

Season is done, I’m over it, realistically I was hoping sweet 16 but it didn’t happen. Look, we’re all disappointed, however, I think next year can be a really good one, hoping Edey sticks around, will he? What do folks want to see happen? Painter isn’t being fired so that talk isn’t realistic. Personally I want to see Renn from this point forward to be the 4, I also want to see an athletic wing brought in via the portal, a final 4 team can’t have a lineup with Gillis, Newman, Loyer, Smith in it, nowhere near athletic enough. I like Smith and Loyer in it, think Gillis is better served off the bench, same with Newman if he wants to stick it out. I love this school, this loss hurts but it’s nowhere near as bad as the Virginia one. Also, this is a great site, would love to see good ideas without people getting nasty about it, it’s just sports, not life or death lol
Thanks for the kind words. Since we were thrown into it on November 1 during the middle of football season and right as basketball was starting it feels like this is the first chance we have really had to breathe. That's especially true because i had to do a lot of the behind-the-scenes work all October.

Jared Bynum - guard from Providence is in the portal. Granted, think he follows Cooley to Georgetown.

Jefferson Koulibaly - guard from SMU.

Jameer Nelson Jr - man I feel old that he has a son in college.... he will probably end up at Georgetown or PSU.....

That is my early wish list....
[/QUOTE
Thanks for the kind words. Since we were thrown into it on November 1 during the middle of football season and right as basketball was starting it feels like this is the first chance we have really had to breathe. That's especially true because i had to do a lot of the behind-the-scenes work all October.
You guys are doing a great job, I really appreciate it!

Coaches shouldn't have a doghouse & their players shouldn't feel afraid of mistakes. Leads to overthinking the game they have played for years. Maybe that might be part of the problem in WL though?? I don't know obviously, but it sure looks like it with Newman @ times maybe, looked like it with the whole team in their last game maybe?
I don’t buy that argument ay all. If you've ever played any organized sport with a coach, you've been taken out of the game when you didn't think you should have. Sometimes you even got yelled at by said coach.

If we've got players that are melting and afraid to shoot because the big bad coach might take them out, then we really have a problem with mentally weak players, not the coach.

ADVERTISEMENT