ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas and thoughts about next year thread

Not sure it's gotten better @ Purdue was my point....that is on both the player AND the staff.
Meh. If he was capable of being a good ball handler, and he’s committed himself to it, he would be by now.

Individual skill is 90% about the work ethic and the natural ability of the player.

Meh. If he was capable of being a good ball handler, and he’s committed himself to it, he would be by now.

Individual skill is 90% about the work ethic and the natural ability of the player.
Yep, he’s been here 4 years, that part of his game hasn’t gotten any better. I like Brandon, I hope he’s not a starter next year. I got no problem with him coming back though, 10-15 minute player if he does.

Clearly, it's not as simple as "hit shots." There's a REASON WHY they're missing open shots. It's psychological, and also a product of a predictable system that has minimal flow to it. It's a product of the head coach. You must understand (or at least try) to understand how human psychology works.
Why did the 20/21 team shoot 33% from deep and the same guys in the same system (I think they may have even had the same coach) shot over 38% the next season?

Reactions: AAE09
I can't believe coaches haven't tightened Newman's handle by now. He could be the slasher you mention with coaching......maybe that is the problem though. Instead of coaching him up....Newman has been coached down where he is scared of getting yanked and over thinking things.
Agree 100%, was a shooter in high school, I think the death of his father affected him his freshman year and hasn't been able to get out of Painter's doghouse. Last year's Big Ten semi-final game showed his potential. Starting both freshman guards and the amount of playing time they were given didn't help the team. I think Newman is afraid of missing a shot or making a mistake that its affected his play. Hopefully next year he'll be confident and reach his potential.

Agree 100%, was a shooter in high school, I think the death of his father affected him his freshman year and hasn't been able to get out of Painter's doghouse. Last year's Big Ten semi-final game showed his potential. Starting both freshman guards and the amount of playing time they were given didn't help the team. I think Newman is afraid of missing a shot or making a mistake that its affected his play. Hopefully next year he'll be confident and reach his potential.

Coaches shouldn't have a doghouse & their players shouldn't feel afraid of mistakes. Leads to overthinking the game they have played for years. Maybe that might be part of the problem in WL though?? I don't know obviously, but it sure looks like it with Newman @ times maybe, looked like it with the whole team in their last game maybe?

I enjoy a simple life. As @MetMyWifeAtHarrys and someone else said in another thread. Watch the Miami team. Which I think translates to:
1. Speed at the guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Speed at the guards!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. a tendency toward being somewhat of an arrogant ass.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I enjoy a simple life. As @MetMyWifeAtHarrys and someone else said in another thread. Watch the Miami team. Which I think translates to:
1. Speed at the guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Speed at the guards!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. a tendency toward being somewhat of an arrogant ass.
Exactly. Their speed is a huge virtue, but they also do a great job at keeping it simple vs. the press:

-be moving while passing the ball in
-lead with with pass
-the kid catching the pass is moving through pressure and making the catch in motion and instantly turning up court
-take the spaces/lanes that are available (with pace)
-attack towards mid court until the D counters and closes in
-teammates are countering D by constantly moving to be pass options
-wash, rinse, repeat...not that hard.

Exactly. Their speed is a huge virtue, but they also do a great job at keeping it simple vs. the press:

-be moving while passing the ball in
-lead with with pass
-the kid catching the pass is moving through pressure and making the catch in motion and instantly turning up court
-take the spaces/lanes that are available (with pace)
-attack towards mid court until the D counters and closes in
-teammates are countering D by constantly moving to be pass options
-wash, rinse, repeat...not that hard.
We can’t afford their guards… at least not Nigel Pack…also those tiny guards would never survive the B1G wrestling season.

Season is done, I’m over it, realistically I was hoping sweet 16 but it didn’t happen. Look, we’re all disappointed, however, I think next year can be a really good one, hoping Edey sticks around, will he? What do folks want to see happen? Painter isn’t being fired so that talk isn’t realistic. Personally I want to see Renn from this point forward to be the 4, I also want to see an athletic wing brought in via the portal, a final 4 team can’t have a lineup with Gillis, Newman, Loyer, Smith in it, nowhere near athletic enough. I like Smith and Loyer in it, think Gillis is better served off the bench, same with Newman if he wants to stick it out. I love this school, this loss hurts but it’s nowhere near as bad as the Virginia one. Also, this is a great site, would love to see good ideas without people getting nasty about it, it’s just sports, not life or death lol
Where do we see Heide fitting into the lineup? Can he earn a starting role next year?

Reactions: Schnelk
OK, so, is surviving the B1G more important than competing in the Dance? You just hit the nail on the head!!! Competing in the B1G does not translate to competing in the Dance.
QUESTION! What if the Boilers went for short and FASSST guards who can drive to the hoop. Forget about the B1G. Get an 8 seed. and beat the hell out of higher seeds in the Dance??

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
QUESTION! What if the Boilers went for short and FASSST guards who can drive to the hoop. Forget about the B1G. Get an 8 seed. and beat the hell out of higher seeds in the Dance??
OK, so, is surviving the B1G more important than competing in the Dance? You just hit the nail on the head!!! Competing in the B1G does not translate to competing in the Dance.
We need to go buy some 22-23 year old grown man wings in the portal. Like Shannon from IL.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Coaches shouldn't have a doghouse & their players shouldn't feel afraid of mistakes. Leads to overthinking the game they have played for years. Maybe that might be part of the problem in WL though?? I don't know obviously, but it sure looks like it with Newman @ times maybe, looked like it with the whole team in their last game maybe?
A favorite John Wooden quote "the team that makes the most mistakes wins". His point was about taking risk. Tentative players and teams don't win big.

Why did the 20/21 team shoot 33% from deep and the same guys in the same system (I think they may have even had the same coach) shot over 38% the next season?
That's the $1 million question. Why couldn't anyone hit the open shots? Painter recruited top shooters who have proved it in games. Then, like some communicable disease, the entire team came down with a morbid fear of shooting. If it's psychological, then it's like some sort of mass hysteria.

What is happening in practice, the film room, the locker room, or team meetings that turned one of the top offenses in the nation into a bunch of kids with no idea what to do with the basketball?

A favorite John Wooden quote "the team that makes the most mistakes wins". His point was about taking risk. Tentative players and teams don't win big.
Outside of Carsen, Cline and Robbie, our players have a history of playing scared come tourney time. Why is that?

I think the common denominator in this case is whatever dog house Painter has built.

Reactions: z_one
Outside of Carsen, Cline and Robbie, our players have a history of playing scared come tourney time. Why is that?

I think the common denominator in this case is whatever dog house Painter has built.
Go watch the Texas game. Was Jaden playing scared?

• Wow
Reactions: clankhan
We can’t afford their guards… at least not Nigel Pack…also those tiny guards would never survive the B1G wrestling season.
can we afford the FDU guards? And, can we accept their culture? Could they play for Painter? Could Painter coach them?

That's the $1 million question. Why couldn't anyone hit the open shots? Painter recruited top shooters who have proved it in games. Then, like some communicable disease, the entire team came down with a morbid fear of shooting. If it's psychological, then it's like some sort of mass hysteria.

What is happening in practice, the film room, the locker room, or team meetings that turned one of the top offenses in the nation into a bunch of kids with no idea what to do with the basketball?
I got hoarse screaming "Shoot the god damned mother ****ing ball!"

I don't agree. I do agree that there is a history, but I don't agree with the doghouse. Painter is just not a negative guy. I don't have an answer. But I don't accept that answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT