ADVERTISEMENT

I think Piston fans are going to love Ivey as much as we did

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I think Piston fans are really going to love Ivey like we did as Purdue fans. You can tell that they see the potential.

I do hope his ankle injury is not bad. I actually was watching that game and saw it happen.

I hope Piston fans love him more. One of the more underappreciated players in recent Purdue basketball history.

Why do you think Ivey was underappreciated? He exploded his So. year and in pretty much every game, the announcers would hype him up. And, there were quite a few games where he was the highlight real. Most Purdue fans knew we'd only go as far in the tourney as Ivey would take us.

Why do you think Ivey was underappreciated? He exploded his So. year and in pretty much every game, the announcers would hype him up. And, there were quite a few games where he was the highlight real. Most Purdue fans knew we'd only go as far in the tourney as Ivey would take us.
This thread alone.. I can't even count the number of different posters knocking him:
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/th...ite-to-all-time-scapegoat-in-one-game.229685/

And this one:
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/jaden-gone.230214/

You don't even want to go back and read the St Peter's game thread...

I don't recall this type of negativity aimed at any of the Baby Boilers. In recent years, both Carsen and Jaden were prime targets for many on this board and on social media.

This thread alone.. I can't even count the number of different posters knocking him:
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/th...ite-to-all-time-scapegoat-in-one-game.229685/

And this one:

I don't recall this type of negativity aimed at any of the Baby Boilers. In recent years, both Carsen and Jaden were prime targets for many on this board and on social media.
This is just an example of someone citing the exception as the rule. I contend the opposite. Players like Swanigan, CE, and Ivey are more appreciated by Purdue fans since players of that caliber are so rare at Purdue.

This is just an example of someone citing the exception as the rule. I contend the opposite. Players like Swanigan, CE, and Ivey are more appreciated by Purdue fans since players of that caliber are so rare at Purdue.
I've read most threads posted on this forum the past 2 seasons. Those were just the more memorable ones. Believe me, they weren't the exception. Every turnover. Every missed deep three pointer. Heck, the dude even got grief for landing awkwardly on drives. I think a lot of our fans just don't like the style. There is still the Norman Dale contingent who are going to complain if there aren't 3 passes before a shot.

Reactions: DannyGranger
I've read most threads posted on this forum the past 2 seasons. Those were just the more memorable ones. Believe me, they weren't the exception. Every turnover. Every missed deep three pointer. Heck, the dude even got grief for landing awkwardly on drives. I think a lot of our fans just don't like the style. There is still the Norman Dale contingent who are going to complain if there aren't 3 passes before a shot.
A lot of people get like that in game threads, but be rest assured that they, you(I'm assuming), and me would kill to have Swanigan, CE, or Ivey level talent and appreciate the hell out of them!

Reactions: icewind7

And this one:

Yeah there’s gonna be a gold mine of bumpable asshattery from this spring…

Ivey was great while he was here but playing with immovable bigs did not allow him to do his thing. The other challenge is college defense v pro defense and college v pro refs.

Reactions: DannyGranger
one of the comments made most often was that Ivey's game translated a lot better to the NBA than to college. and we are seeing a glimpse of that in the Summer games. I will not predict he will become an all star as a rookie, because there are a lot of very talented players who never become all stars. I followed BIG DOG's career. He was often overlooked in all star voting. I will say I believe he will be a star in the making.

I will also agree with the poster when he stated many of the posters now singing his praise were frequently critisizing him in game threads, and other threads on this board.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I hope Piston fans love him more. One of the more underappreciated players in recent Purdue basketball history.
weird comment. What makes you think he was not appreciated here? Good God, I loved that kid and what he brought to our program. His legacy will pay dividens for years.

weird comment. What makes you think he was not appreciated here? Good God, I loved that kid and what he brought to our program. His legacy will pay dividens for years.
Underappreciated was probably the wrong word. Certainly a lot of fans appreciate him, but he also had a small but loud chorus of haters. Too many turnovers, doesn't play within the system, inconsistent effort, yadda yadda. Like those who focus on what Painter hasn't accomplished. Maybe it's just a sign of the times.
Anyway, I hope he has a great career and becomes a legend.

@FirstDownB, I think (and I hope) its just a few on this board. Probably the older fans that are just living in the old days.

The amount of fans who post here is an Extremely small portion of Purdue fans.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I hope they do to as that would mean that he's moved from being a great talent and a great prospect, which he was at Purdue, to a great player. Clearly as a first team BT and second team AA he was a very, very good player for Purdue, but he was just scratching the surface of what he can be.

What was does this have to do with me not being a fan of a post centric offense? Or is this you just being a dick head for no reason?
I don't know why you're name calling, I was agreeing with you. Painter should recruit more kids like Jaden and get away from running a post centric offense. Why he doesn't is beyond me.

I don't know why you're name calling, I was agreeing with you. Painter should recruit more kids like Jaden and get away from running a post centric offense. Why he doesn't is beyond me.
" I don't understand why he doesn't just recruit NBA lottery picks."

Had me fooled...

" I don't understand why he doesn't just recruit NBA lottery picks."

Had me fooled...
I know what I said. I don't think I had you fooled, you seem pretty clever. You win by recruiting better players or taking a different approach than your competition. This post centric bullshit isn't working, so he needs to recruit more elite backcourt and wing players. Not saying he needs to land multiple five stars every year but he does need to recruit more lottery pick type players. Should have at least one on the roster at all times.

@FirstDownB, I think (and I hope) its just a few on this board. Probably the older fans that are just living in the old days.

The amount of fans who post here is an Extremely small portion of Purdue fans.
Bingo. Taking comments from this board and applying them to PU fans everywhere is unwise. Even on here, the % of people who comment in a particular thread is small compared to the registered users to the site. This is especially true when a thread turns to shit (which is often) and users just ignore it because they aren't interested in 2 guys arguing and exchanging insults.

Reactions: Russ Ford
I saw the Banchero has been shut down for the rest of the summer league. Wondering if the Pistons will do the same with Jaden or if he will be back for their next game?

I saw the Banchero has been shut down for the rest of the summer league. Wondering if the Pistons will do the same with Jaden or if he will be back for their next game
It looks like more than likely with what happened with his ankle that he is done with the Summer League.

Don't keep me in suspense, which route did we choose (tic)
I don't want to drag this thread into another dumpster fire, so I will leave it here.

I don’t mind having a big clogging the lane during conference play but Painter has to have a smaller lineup that he can swap in for tourney time. We see it every single year that refs don’t call fouls against our bigs. When we get a team that hangs all over Edey/Haas/etc, Painter looks like a deer in the headlights. He needs that wholesale swap where we come out with something entirely different for a counterpunch.

I know what I said. I don't think I had you fooled, you seem pretty clever. You win by recruiting better players or taking a different approach than your competition. This post centric bullshit isn't working, so he needs to recruit more elite backcourt and wing players. Not saying he needs to land multiple five stars every year but he does need to recruit more lottery pick type players. Should have at least one on the roster at all times.
Recruit more lottery picks? What an ingenious idea! Can't believe no one in the basketball program has thought of it yet...

Last edited:
Recruit more lottery picks? What an ingenious idea! Can't believe no one in the basketball program has thought of it yet...
It's funny because that's essentially what you're calling for by advocating that MP move away from recruiting dominant bigs and towards recruiting the same type of players that everyone else is recruiting. So it's actually kind of your idea.

It's funny because that's essentially what you're calling for by advocating that MP move away from recruiting dominant bigs and towards recruiting the same type of players that everyone else is recruiting. So it's actually kind of your idea.
Your idea that we could recruit lottery picks every year was most certainly not what I was advocating(or even anywhere close to it). Nice try, Gilbert Grape. Why am I not surprised that you have a hard time understanding that moving away from a post centric offense doesn't require a team full of lottery picks??

Your idea that we could recruit lottery picks every year was most certainly not what I was advocating(or even anywhere close to it). Nice try, Gilbert Grape. Why am I not surprised that you have a hard time understanding that moving away from a post centric offense doesn't require a team full of lottery picks??
I really don’t think having a “post centric” offense has anything to do with recruiting good guards. In fact, having a post player that opponents must contend with might be most attractive to good guards.

As proof, I offer the following: We had arguably two of our best guards, creative playmakers, drivers and all around scorers at the very same time as having some of the best post players in the country. I see no negative relationship between the two, so I’ve got to call BS on your salient point.

:cool:

I really don’t think having a “post centric” offense has anything to do with recruiting good guards. In fact, having a post player that opponents must contend with might be most attractive to good guards.

As proof, I offer the following: We had arguably two of our best guards, creative playmakers, drivers and all around scorers at the very same time as having some of the best post players in the country. I see no negative relationship between the two, so I’ve got to call BS on your salient point.

Nowhere did I mention anything about recruiting guards with our current offense. You seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. I simply stated I'm not a fan of a post centric offense and wish we would move away from it. Next time you decide to insert yourself into someone else's conversation (which you frequently feel the need to do) at least make sure you have a grasp what's going on(which you clearly don't).

Reactions: mathboy
Nowhere did I mention anything about recruiting guards with our current offense. You seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. I simply stated I'm not a fan of a post centric offense and wish we would move away from it. Next time you decide to insert yourself into someone else's conversation (which you frequently feel the need to do) at least make sure you have a grasp what's going on(which you clearly don't).
“Insert yourself into someone else’s conversation” — dude, you’re on a free, public message board (and have an account newer than most of the regular posters) — there are exactly zero conversations on here that are “yours.” Go ahead and private message folks, or email them, if you do not want other posters participating in a thread.

Wow! You seem to post like a small angry man and like to call people names. Maybe just dust off your bottle of tranquilizers, or take a couple shots of Monkey Shoulder before reading this board, eh? Nobody here is deserving of your anger. I can guarantee that!

If a thread is on this free board, anyone can insert themselvles in the conversation. Maybe that small aspect of messsage boards eluded you? I will insert myself anywhere I feel I can add to the conversation. My "grasp" is usually pretty good most of the time, but there have been times...

By the way, you missed my point entirely. Our "post centric" offense may be exactly what will attract good guards and might be very necessary given our other disadvantages in the recruiting game. I get it that you don't like it, but it is our approach as long as we are able to recruit unique and effective post players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT