ADVERTISEMENT

I respect a team that prays together

Hard pass. Religion has no place in college sports. Religion should be a spiritual endeavor practiced in private.

I like how Brohm keeps unnecessary stuff like that off the field. He is all business, despite any of his personal beliefs. "Let's play football".

Nebraska can pray all they want to their invisible sky wizard, it's not going to bring them back to their glory days.

Hard pass. Religion has no place in college sports. Religion should be a spiritual endeavor practiced in private.

I like how Brohm keeps unnecessary stuff like that off the field. He is all business, despite any of his personal beliefs. "Let's play football".

Nebraska can pray all they want to their invisible sky wizard, it's not going to bring them back to their glory days.
All that kneeling and bowing of heads, coming together in unity, that sure is offensive! As for Brohm and "keeping that stuff off the field", I am quite sure he has no rule against players gathering on their own volition to pray after a game.

You could not be more wrong. True faith should govern all aspects of a person and their "lens" on their world. At home, on the field, in the classroom, and everywhere in between. Jesus commands His followers to be the light in this dark world. Or, for the foodies out there, to be the salt of the world to enrich and preserve.

If a group of players want to come together and pray then what is it to you. If that prayer, and subsequent acknowledgment of God, results in those players (and maybe others) playing with integrity and respect for refs/rules/others then isn't that a benefit for all?

Even Satan acknowledged/respected Jesus' status. Failure to do the same will lead you to fate I do not wish upon anyone--especially fellow Boikermakers!

All that kneeling and bowing of heads, coming together in unity, that sure is offensive! As for Brohm and "keeping that stuff off the field", I am quite sure he has no rule against players gathering on their own volition to pray after a game.
several Purdue players gathered before the game in the NW corner of the field and couple knelt in the same direction a few yards behind on the side line.

Reactions: BSIT
It's a free country right? Religious freedom is always okay.
interesting comment and one not understood by many. A little review of Jefferson's love for the French and despise for England fully aware of King Henry 8th's seeking divorce in search of a son (thought a new woman would give him a son) that declared "A" national church of England as he and later lineage changed from Catholicism to Protestantism (Protestantism allowed the divorce) and back and forth was to "protect the church from the state". Jefferson's letter to the Danbary Baptist church is another read

You could not be more wrong. True faith should govern all aspects of a person and their "lens" on their world. At home, on the field, in the classroom, and everywhere in between. Jesus commands His followers to be the light in this dark world. Or, for the foodies out there, to be the salt of the world to enrich and preserve.

If a group of players want to come together and pray then what is it to you. If that prayer, and subsequent acknowledgment of God, results in those players (and maybe others) playing with integrity and respect for refs/rules/others then isn't that a benefit for all?

Even Satan acknowledged/respected Jesus' status. Failure to do the same will lead you to fate I do not wish upon anyone--especially fellow Boikermakers!
Good lord.

interesting comment and one not understood by many. A little review of Jefferson's love for the French and despise for England fully aware of King Henry 8th's seeking divorce in search of a son (thought a new woman would give him a son) that declared "A" national church of England as he and later lineage changed from Catholicism to Protestantism (Protestantism allowed the divorce) and back and forth was to "protect the church from the state". Jefferson's letter to the Danbary Baptist church is another read
Jefferson, and several other founding fathers, were diests

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Jefferson, and several other founding fathers, were diests
Many were diests . Jefferson took out the miracles in the Bible and had it in four languages, but that had nothing to do with my comment. I have a copy. Jefferson wanted individual freedom and saw what happened in England for having a national church as I stated and did NOT want the state to interfere with the church. It was a freedom thing from the government more than a religious thing

Whatever gets an individual player to play with integrity, belief in an almighty big guy in the sky, belief in a magic baby, belief in the promise of life everlasting, avoiding that nasty burning in hell thingy, or just a healthy knowledge of good vs bad, right vs wrong. I’m cool with that

Say what we will about Nebraska but I saw a large number of them on the 50 praying after the game. That is admirable and wish our guys would have joined them.

Alway could use more God and Jesus throughout college sports.
Ditto

Way to show your tolerance. Why does it need to be “practiced in private?”

Are you offend by what someone does 50 yds away from you?

Lol. This got exactly the kind of reply I would expect from triggered christians.

I don't care for a religious debate on a football forum. But since it hasn't gotten out of hand yet, I'll go ahead and reply to those that asked questions.

Who said anything about being offended?

What I meant by the Brohm comment was that he does not promote or organize those types of things for the players on the field. Which is what I respect.

I'm 100% correct.

What you are failing to realize is that there are a great number of people that do not believe in anything you just talked about at all. Or they believe in a religion that interprets things differently.

Your post is totally irrelevant.

Reactions: cjcollie
Way to show your tolerance. Why does it need to be “practiced in private?”

Are you offend by what someone does 50 yds away from you?

Tolerance? What does this have to do with tolerance?

No, I'm not offended.

Why do christians feel the need to inject their religion everywhere? Is your home and your church not good enough? Next you try to inject your religion in public schools and the government. There we have a problem.

You, like woodsa, fail to understand that there are a great number of people who do not believe in those things. It's very divisive.

Answer this...

Would you be okay with a gay pride parade at the 50 yard line after the game?

Were you tolerant of those that kneeled during the national anthem?

No, I'm not offended.

Why do christians feel the need to inject their religion everywhere? Is your home and your church not good enough? Next you try to inject your religion in public schools and the government. There we have a problem.

You, like woodsa, fail to understand that there are a great number of people who do not believe in those things. It's very divisive.

Answer this...

Bingo. If somebody wants to individually and spontaneously pray, I'm not sure why they would choose to use a football field, but hey, go knock your socks off. It's when it's organized and ritualized as a public display, is where it's creating a spectacle and has no business on a football field at a public university.

For anyone who really wants God and Jesus intertwined into their sports that bad and for it to be made a spectacle, Notre Dame is your team... not Purdue.

Pride Parades and kneeling are a different matter that are not on point.

My point was I appreciate seeing players ON THEIR OWN come together and pray. Purdue players do it to.

I never said we should corporately do it as a program and force any player, coach, or fan to pray. That is the essence of free will. We are blessed to live in a country that affords each of the right to worship whatever.

It is a sad consequence that many do not understand the seriousness of sin, the purpose of the law to reveal our sin, the need for Savior in Jesus, and the truth of God, Heaven, and Hell. As I said, you don't have to believe or understand it, but that does not mean yhose things aren't real. Non-Christians (Jews, Muslims, satan/deamon, gays) acknowledge Jesus status. Disprove the resurrection and you can dismantle Christianity. One such atheist set out to do just that in The Case For Christ. What should stop and give you pause is this, how many times are you wrong? There are eternal consequences for your free will and belief system. Even God, who knew you before you were born, does not want to force His will upon you. Satan wins by deceiving people into this thinking God doesn't exist, despite evidence all around to the contrary. One day, we'll each die and know how it ends. I'm betting on The Guy that publically came, died, and rose life. Boiler Up.

Pride Parades and kneeling are a different matter that are not on point.

My point was I appreciate seeing players ON THEIR OWN come together and pray. Purdue players do it to.

I never said we should corporately do it as a program and force any player, coach, or fan to pray. That is the essence of free will. We are blessed to live in a country that affords each of the right to worship whatever.

It is a sad consequence that many do not understand the seriousness of sin, the purpose of the law to reveal our sin, the need for Savior in Jesus, and the truth of God, Heaven, and Hell. As I said, you don't have to believe or understand it, but that does not mean yhose things aren't real. Non-Christians (Jews, Muslims, satan/deamon, gays) acknowledge Jesus status. Disprove the resurrection and you can dismantle Christianity. One such atheist set out to do just that in The Case For Christ. What should stop and give you pause is this, how many times are you wrong? There are eternal consequences for your free will and belief system. Even God, who knew you before you were born, does not want to force His will upon you. Satan wins by deceiving people into this thinking God doesn't exist, despite evidence all around to the contrary. One day, we'll each die and know how it ends. I'm betting on The Guy that publically came, died, and rose life. Boiler Up.
I'm a devout Catholic, but I don't think a purdue message board is the place to evangelize. I think you're probably having a net negative impact on the perception of religion and faith by arguing its merits online.

Just my two cents.

I'm a devout Catholic, but I don't think a purdue message board is the place to evangelize. I think you're probably having a net negative impact on the perception of religion and faith by arguing its merits online.

Just my two cents.
Although I find a lot, if not all, compatible with your political thoughts I doubt his posts turn anyone off any more than the subject at hand turning them off before his posts. Believer or not, there is “some alignment” in the political views people hold. I’m not going to further the potential exchanges, but it is a fascinating study between believers and non-believers exchanging “why” they hold the stance they do or chasm between historical findings and an inability to reason out how the miracles could be true. I think humanity is very interesting in how this is processed or not processed, but I’m not going to propose any challenges or further this exchange even, if reading both sides is interesting. 😉

Jesus was a Jew, and Jews don’t believe in hell.

Hell is a concept created much later to scare people into being Christian, when it became evident that the savior was not going to return anytime soon.

No, I'm not offended.

Answer this...

RE Gay Pride. It happens in the city square across America. This a free country. Something you seem to have forgotten.

RE Kneeling during the national anthem. I wasn’t a fan since my Dad served in Vietnam, but Kaepernick, etal. has the right to do it.

They aren’t doing it in your house or on your property, it’s happening in public. No one is asking you or your kids to pray, they are just exercising their religious freedom. It’s your religious freedom to ignore them.

Just my two cents.
Oh I appreciate and understand your point on this. I am a devout Catholic as well but yes this is probably not going to be a very successful place to evangelize. Better done leading by example… I do appreciate the initial point raised at the very outset. That is leading by example. I’m going through a really tough season, again. But still keeping the Faith…very consistent

Oh I appreciate and understand your point on this. I am a devout Catholic as well but yes this is probably not going to be a very successful place to evangelize. Better done leading by example… I do appreciate the initial point raised at the very outset. That is leading by example. I’m going through a really tough season, again. But still keeping the Faith…very consistent
Hope your season gets better. I'm reminded of that old Byrds song Turn, turn, turn that was derived from Ecclesiastes.

RE Gay Pride. It happens in the city square across America. This a free country. Something you seem to have forgotten.

RE Kneeling during the national anthem. I wasn’t a fan since my Dad served in Vietnam, but Kaepernick, etal. has the right to do it.

They aren’t doing it in your house or on your property, it’s happening in public. No one is asking you or your kids to pray, they are just exercising their religious freedom. It’s your religious freedom to ignore them.

You didn't answer my question reference gay pride. Let me rephrase it. If, after the Purdue/Nebraska game, the Cornhusker players gathered at the 50 yard line and were waving pride flags, would that be completely fine with you? Or would there probably be a better time and place for such a demonstration?

Reference kneeling during the anthem, you admittedly were not a fan of it, which is fine. Try to understand the thousands of people in attendance and watching on tv (who do not share religious beliefs with you) not being of a fan of such a demonstration on the field as well.

You didn't answer my question reference gay pride. Let me rephrase it. If, after the Purdue/Nebraska game, the Cornhusker players gathered at the 50 yard line and were waving pride flags, would that be completely fine with you? Or would there probably be a better time and place for such a demonstration?

Reference kneeling during the anthem, you admittedly were not a fan of it, which is fine. Try to understand the thousands of people in attendance and watching on tv (who do not share religious beliefs with you) not being of a fan of such a demonstration on the field as well.
if people were to wave Gay Pride flags at the 50 yd, it wouldn’t bother me.

it also wouldn’t bother me if people met at the 50 after a game and bowed to Mecca, but it sounds like you would have a problem with it.

BTW, I support gay marriage and have a gay couple over during the Holidays…gasp.😱

Last edited:

Do you consider yourself a leftist? If so I’d like to test that.

to your question about gay pride, are they players/people who would normally have access to the field? If so, why not? If not, I don’t think everyone in the stands was offered a chance to join the prayer. Were they?

as to your next comment… he said he didn’t like it but never said he would try to stop it. I don’t think anyone is asking you to like this prayer, so what gives?

you know, I don’t think the state of affairs is still at this place you seem to imply it is at. A competitor to my company recently had to stop using penetration as a term discussing accounts. You see, it offended a gay woman. So the entire multi national company changed the term. So this idea that gay people can’t do what they want to do is kind of funny.

people should be able to pray and wave rainbow flags and also not like others praying or waving flags. Now, if Purdue used public money to put out ads that said “come pray at the field after games,” well now that’s different. But that’s not what happened

Why wouldn’t it be?
giphy.gif

I can see this thread divulging into something I don't care to discuss here.

TheGunner, thank you for the replies.

BCfanatic, you are pushing the topic well outside the realm of what was being discussed. In the interest of keeping this from becoming a typical internet shit show I'm going to let my part in this thread die.

Just in case you missed it, my original response was to this quote from woodsa: "Alway could use more God and Jesus throughout college sports."

I was not the one advocating to push any ideology onto the field.

I can see this thread divulging into something I don't care to discuss here.

TheGunner, thank you for the replies.

BCfanatic, you are pushing the topic well outside the realm of what was being discussed. In the interest of keeping this from becoming a typical internet shit show I'm going to let my part in this thread die.

Just in case you missed it, my original response was to this quote from woodsa: "Alway could use more God and Jesus throughout college sports."

I was not the one advocating to push any ideology onto the field.
You tried to speak to something. I brought up counters and you have no answer. Don’t put gloves on if you can’t get into the ring.

I’m an actual lefty. So many so called super liberals .. who are usually fiscally conservative social justice warriors .. want to have it both ways. They want religious people in their homes but gay pride stuff everywhere.. I say let them both do their thing and if it isn’t the state organizing it then fine.

Last edited:
You tried to speak to something. I brought up counters and you have no answer. Don’t put gloves on if you can’t get into the ring
I have plenty of answers. As I said, I don't care at all to discuss it any further on a football forum. You seem to have your panties in a bunch over that.

Imagine throwing lame insults at a stranger on a football forum in an attempt to bait them into a religious debate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT