ADVERTISEMENT

I really thought this was the year guys/gals….

Mar 12, 2016
I’ve been a purdue fan since my freshman year 2007 …

Over the course of those 15 or so years I’ve witnessed:

- Robbie blowing out his acl twice
- Us losing to eventual runners-up VCU in the second round in 2011
- Us blowing a sizable lead to Kansas during robbies last year in the second round
- Us getting blown out by Kansas in the sweet 16
- losing several times In the first round (some times to double digit seeds) like UALR, Cincy, North Texas.
- the dark couple years after Robbie left (I recall people here getting bashed for asking what happens after our big 3 left) due to a severe lack of recruiting. Indiana resurging with three elite recruiting classes. This should’ve never happened.

- the gut wrenching loss to UVA due to painter keeping in his “coach’s pet” Eifert instead of 6’10 trevion or 6’9 wheeler in the final seconds of the game.

- north Texas.

- then yesterday’s game against vs St. Peter’s. I’m not even upset with the fact that they lost but that they lost without executing their game plan (if there really was one) . A lot of painter’s strategy over the years in the tournament seems to be (at least to my novice basketball eye): 1) make a run 2) hang on for dear life.

the pieces this year were all there. We had two really good centers in trevion / Zach (although he didn’t play great yesterday) , Jaden (finally a guard that can give us the guard play that we want) , shooters (Sasha , newman , Thompson, Gillis , etc) , and our glue guys (hunter , Morton, Gillis). Hell, I thought we were going to beat UCLA to finally break that damn John Wooden curse and get to our first final four in decades.

With all that being said, life goes on … It’s been a good run fellas. Im not trying to be a Debbie downer but I just don’t see us getting to a final four under painters leadership. Maybe I will hear about Purdue’s magical run when I pop on sports center in the near future!

- Us blowing a sizable lead to Kansas during robbies last year in the second round
- losing several times In the first round (some times to double digit seeds) like UALR, Cincy, North Texas.
- the dark couple years after Robbie left (I recall people here getting bashed for asking what happens after our big 3 left) due to a severe lack of recruiting. Indiana resurging with three elite recruiting classes. This should’ve never happened.

- the gut wrenching loss to UVA due to painter keeping in his “coach’s pet” Eifert instead of 6’10 trevion or 6’9 wheeler in the final seconds of the game.

- north Texas.

- then yesterday’s game against vs St. Peter’s. I’m not even upset with the fact that they lost but that they lost without executing their game plan (if there really was one) . A lot of painter’s strategy over the years in the tournament seems to be (at least to my novice basketball eye): 1) make a run 2) hang on for dear life.

the pieces this year were all there. We had two really good centers in trevion / Zach (although he didn’t play great yesterday) , Jaden (finally a guard that can give us the guard play that we want) , shooters (Sasha , newman , Thompson, Gillis , etc) , and our glue guys (hunter , Morton, Gillis). Hell, I thought we were going to beat UCLA to finally break that damn John Wooden curse and get to our first final four in decades.

With all that being said, life goes on … It’s been a good run fellas. Im not trying to be a Debbie downer but I just don’t see us getting to a final four under painters leadership. Maybe I will hear about Purdue’s magical run when I pop on sports center in the near future!
You forgot Haas getting pulled to the floor with a hook and hold and breaking his arm too, lol. Hard to disagree with what you wrote. I enjoy making the ncaas every year and seemingly getting to S16s often, but there is a lid on this program. I live in SC, so most of my friends are usc or clemson fans who's teams aren't even in thr tourney. He'll, my wife has all but given up on her Pitt Panthers. Purdue seems to be consistently good, just not ever great.

What gets annoying is that I get a hundred texts last night from "buddies" who don't follow basketball because theirs teams suck every year and are suddenly peacock fans for one night. Oh well time to take the high road again. Still proud to be a Boilermaker.

You forgot Haas getting pulled to the floor with a hook and hold and breaking his arm too, lol. Hard to disagree with what you wrote. I enjoy making the ncaas every year and seemingly getting to S16s often, but there is a lid on this program. I live in SC, so most of my friends are usc or clemson fans who's teams aren't even in thr tourney. He'll, my wife has all but given up on her Pitt Panthers. Purdue seems to be consistently good, just not ever great.

What gets annoying is that I get a hundred texts last night from "buddies" who don't follow basketball because theirs teams suck every year and are suddenly peacock fans for one night. Oh well time to take the high road again. Still proud to be a Boilermaker.
Absolutely. Oh yeah … I remember that too. That was just bad luck though I think.

- north Texas.

The million dollar question is: If not this year, then when do we see a FF or NC? This was the best collection of talent in a very very long time. However, they either didn't listen or Painter tolerated the nonsense. Either way, it falls on the coach. You either recruit the right player, coach, develop or tolerate and be a spectator with a great seat. We saw what we have last night.

The million dollar question is: If not this year, then when do we see a FF or NC? This was the best collection of talent in a very very long time. However, they either didn't listen or Painter tolerated the nonsense. Either way, it falls on the coach. You either recruit the right player, coach, develop or tolerate and be a spectator with a great seat. We saw what we have last night.
It’s the coach imo

- north Texas.

We all share your pain

My prediction is the Women’s program will return to the F4 before the men’s

This is the first year ever we reached a #1 ranking. Painter's classes continue to improve. We are pretty much a certainty to be in the Tourney every year. I see progress.

Now, there are those who point to 2019 and say Elite eight is the peak and we didn't get even that far this year, so the team isn't as good. 8-(. I think using the measurement of tourney progress is very imprecise, and is being thrown around on this board as though it was far more accurate than it accually can be.

Think about it. We were one falling out of bounds foul call from losing to Tennessee, and one weird ball bounce from reaching the FF. The difference between FF and Sweet sixteen is so narrow it is almost useless as a measurement.

This is the first year ever we reached a #1 ranking. Painter's classes continue to improve. We are pretty much a certainty to be in the Tourney every year. I see progress.

Now, there are those who point to 2019 and say Elite eight is the peak and we didn't get even that far this year, so the team isn't as good. 8-(. I think using the measurement of tourney progress is very imprecise, and is being thrown around on this board as though it was far more accurate than it accually can be.

Think about it. We were one falling out of bounds foul call from losing to Tennessee, and one weird ball bounce from reaching the FF. The difference between FF and Sweet sixteen is so narrow it is almost useless as a measurement.
CMP has definitely improved recruiting but he makes poor player substitutions and is unable to make key game adjustments which is magnified in the biggest games. He’d never consider switching to a seldom used zone in the second half of an NCAA game if it was required to win like Coach K.

Last edited:
This is where I disagree with most people. Our "talent" was only strong at two positions. The two and the five. Unfortunately 2 of our best 3 players played the same position. People think its neat that you can bring 40 strong minutes at the center position but its not as good as 2 guys playing well 30-35 minutes a game at different positions. Wouldn't you rather have Hass/Swanigan/Vince over Edey/Gillis/Sasha or Williams/Gillis/Sasha.

Who else was a great talent on this team? No matter how you want to frame it the rest of the guys were average B10 players at best. That's why we lost 6 B10 games.

We had better talent in 2016-2017 and 2017-2018. We also had better talent in 2009-2010. In hindsight it's not even close.

The first step was consistency in getting to the Big Dance and Sweet 16. Next step is breaking through and that is a tough one.

At the end of the day this team was a three seed as they simply could not get a break through win in three chances- St Peters, Iowa BTT or at Wiscy for the conference.

This team wasn’t THAT talented. One surefire NBA player.

Huh? I’ve said multiple times: This team wasn’t that talented. Good, not great. Not enough shot creators, combined with not enough team speed and quickness.
Of course you'd say that now to protect Painter. But, he's a master tactician, amazing recruiter and developer of talent. Until now. Please. Anything to deflect blame. LOL

Of course you'd say that now to protect Painter. But, he's a master tactician, amazing recruiter and developer of talent. Until now. Please. Anything to deflect blame. LOL
Painter hater. Again and again you prove it.

Frankly, Painter took the blame, as well he should. That doesn't mean we kick him to the curb, like in your crazy world.

The first step was getting to elite eight if you are the Peacocks coach. For Purdue after many steps maybe in year 25 Painter makes the FF. Or maybe like his mentor, retires with zero after 29 years and most fans are fine with that. It’s a ” nice”” program after all.

Didn’t say any of that.

You got those Painter replacements yet ?

The first step was getting to elite eight if you are the Peacocks coach. For Purdue after many steps maybe in year 25 Painter makes the FF. Or maybe like his mentor, retires with zero after 29 years and most fans are fine with that. It’s a ” nice”” program after all.
And we do it the right way” which means ever other team cheated to get to F4 the last 42 years. Like refs, these are nothing but lame excuses

Didn’t say any of that.

You got those Painter replacements yet ?
Oh, so you don't think Painter is a great recruiter? Developer of talent? In game tactician? Go ahead, say it for those in the back that he's not those things.

I don't need to find his replacement. That's not my job.

We had no business losing yesterday. I really think Painter is stubborn to a fault. If he is so set in his ways that he can't adjust his management style and other in game coaching decisions, then I don't see any chance it gets better. When are we going to have a lottery pick at guard again? We will be good but never great. After 42 years of not getting to a Final Four that is getting a little old. Starting to feel too similar to being a Cubs fan! Sure, we are blessed to have a good team most of the time but when can we get over the hump? When Izzo retires Painter will have the longest tenure of all Big Ten coaches and with that should come some elevated expectations. I would not fire Painter, but he needs to really analyze what he could have done better as the coach and learn from it imo.

Reactions: clankhan and SKYDOG
We had no business losing yesterday. I would not fire Painter, but he needs to really analyze what he could have done better as the coach and learn from it imo.
People have said exactly this for the last few years. Painter is what he is. Not going to be able to teach a dog new tricks. He will recruit the same type of players and run the same offense and man to man defense. Purdue will win a lot of games and look like fools gold, but it won’t be the real thing. If fans expect more than this, they will be disappointed.

- north Texas.

Hey.. you guys can bash me cause I’m 100% on the football side but.. shooters? Who looked like a big time shooter at the college level last night? Other than Ivey I saw perimeter guys who didn’t have special athleticism, and also didn’t have the kind of shooting that acquits you when you don’t have the athleticism.

I didn’t see knock down shooters. I saw some guys who didn’t necessarily look like they can’t shoot a lick ..

If you want sweet 16s I think that’s fine .. really. My understanding is you have to pay big money just to get a visit from the shoe kids. I get it. But if you’re not gonna have a guy who is going to laugh in St. Peter’s face athletically… you can’t at least get some Jerry Sichtings who can stick a bunch of jumpers in their face. I didn’t see a Jerry Sichting out there. We could have used one.. one was probably all we needed to win that game

People have said exactly this for the last few years. Painter is what he is. Not going to be able to teach a dog new tricks. He will recruit the same type of players and run the same offense and man to man defense. Purdue will win a lot of games and look like fools gold, but it won’t be the real thing. If fans expect more than this, they will be disappointed.
So why can’t people just not expect more? When we had Brian cardinal I never expected more than that out of Purdue basketball

So why can’t people just not expect more? When we had Brian cardinal I never expected more than that out of Purdue basketball
Fans can expect more, but expecting a final four or a national championship with the current captain is wishful thinking. Again I don’t think captain Painter will adjust his recruiting philosophy or change his coaching style to keep the ship from sinking late in March.

Reactions: BSIT
Why can't you just "settle" kid? What's wrong with you? Such a loser for not settling for losing! LOL
If the people knew me personally they would realize I’m for giving people the benefit of the doubt. However, I believe in setting high expectations. It’s embarrassing a school like Purdue was last in a F4 in 1980. With Purdue’s facilities and history it’s not unreasonable to expect Purdue to be as successful as Villanova

Fans can expect more, but expecting a final four or a national championship with the current captain is wishful thinking. Again I don’t think captain Painter will adjust his recruiting philosophy or change his coaching style to keep the ship from sinking late in March.
I shouldn’t say what my high school football coach told him that women taught him to expect. It’s not appropriate

In a way this is so profound but I think it's true. During the season posters were saying things like "would you rather win the B10 or make it to the Final Four? Like a B10 Championship meant nothing. Well I'd guess for 11 or 12 other schools in the conference winning the B10 would be a huge deal.

Could you imagine a day that Purdue fans discounted the opportunity to win a B10 Championship in Football and focused only on making to the final four of the Bowl Championship series. That thought is so unimaginable to me. If we ever play in the B10 Championship game in football it would be an historical achievement for the program.

If we're only measuring the programs success by Final Four appearances we're going to have a pretty unhappy fan base no matter who the coach is.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
In a way this is so profound but I think it's true. During the season posters were saying things like "would you rather win the B10 or make it to the Final Four? Like a B10 Championship meant nothing. Well I'd guess for 11 or 12 other schools in the conference winning the B10 would be a huge deal.

Could you imagine a day that Purdue fans discounted the opportunity to win a B10 Championship in Football and focused only on making to the final four of the Bowl Championship series. That thought is so unimaginable to me. If we ever play in the B10 Championship game in football it would be an historical achievement for the program.

If we're only measuring the programs success by Final Four appearances we're going to have a pretty unhappy fan base no matter who the coach is.
Shit as a fan who is 99.9% football in my Purdue fandom, I’d kill for the success basketball has if it never meant anything more.

take Illinois football as an unbiased account of what we are talking about. If Bielema got them to 7-5 consistently with the occasional 8-9 wins I think that would be straight on as far as what they are as a football program. That should make their fans happy. But it won’t and half of them would want him fired after so many 7 win seasons.

the problem is, that guy who everyone thinks is of as a great candidate can bust and set you back years.. have you dreaming of having Bielema (hypothetical) back.

Anyone remember who our first choice was when we hired Joe tiller after missing out on said first choice because he picked someone else?

Bob Davie

if anything maybe painter does need to seek out an assistant from outside the tree like I read someone saying. But as someone who has no horse in these fights I think moving on from painter would be kinda dumb.. and let’s face it. That’s not a thing Purdue would do anyway

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT