ADVERTISEMENT

I got a response back from AD Mike Bobinski...and I am encouraged by his response

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Although it does ring as some what neutral, the under tones scream that the decision to fire Hazell has been made...whether it is made public tonight, next week, or after the season is up to the AD.

I won't copy and paste the email response but in short he said:

* The performance on Saturday against Maryland was a huge disappointment
* There needs to be significant improvement to compete in the B1G
* He understands, in his short time, that the patience of the fans has been tested
* Said that although this is a very tough time, we need to stand behind the student-athletes
* Pledged that better days are ahead
* Said he plans to get the train back on the tracks

He didn't make any mention of Darrell Hazell and the mentioning of better days, getting the train back on the track, and the need to be significant improvement screams to me that the decision has been made. If a poor performance is had at Illinois, don't be surprised if Hazell is let go Saturday night. If that decision has been made, reassign Hazell and get him out of the office.

I believe this is a possible canned response that I received as well, had much of the same points. However, I am encouraged to at least get a response, and from the tone of it ...I think he will be making changes, just trying to grapple how to do it. Keep in mind he is new in the position, so he has to learn how the politics of this play out as well.

I believe this is a possible canned response that I received as well, had much of the same points. However, I am encouraged to at least get a response, and from the tone of it ...I think he will be making changes, just trying to grapple how to do it. Keep in mind he is new in the position, so he has to learn how the politics of this play out as well.
Agreed and saw the response (word for word) in another thread. Apologies about the double post then...but like you, I think he is trying to figure out the politics at play as the chain of command may be different at Purdue for termination of a contact than at other places. Some places, the AD may be given total control while others may have to involve the BOT in vote that takes place in person.

Part of the delay is which coaches (if any) will be kept and who fills the roles that are vacated. We may be surprised at how deep this goes. --- and yes, this is based on rumor ...

Part of the delay is which coaches (if any) will be kept and who fills the roles that are vacated. We may be surprised at how deep this goes. --- and yes, this is based on rumor ...

Anything else you can share from your sources?Thanks

Got the same canned response. I happy he bothered but with no action the words are meaningless. We shall see if he is just another stuffed suit MB2.0.

Although it does ring as some what neutral, the under tones scream that the decision to fire Hazell has been made...whether it is made public tonight, next week, or after the season is up to the AD.

I won't copy and paste the email response but in short he said:

* The performance on Saturday against Maryland was a huge disappointment
* There needs to be significant improvement to compete in the B1G
* He understands, in his short time, that the patience of the fans has been tested
* Said that although this is a very tough time, we need to stand behind the student-athletes
* Pledged that better days are ahead
* Said he plans to get the train back on the tracks

He didn't make any mention of Darrell Hazell and the mentioning of better days, getting the train back on the track, and the need to be significant improvement screams to me that the decision has been made. If a poor performance is had at Illinois, don't be surprised if Hazell is let go Saturday night. If that decision has been made, reassign Hazell and get him out of the office.
I too hope his words mean exactly as you interpreted them.
Someone with a different agenda could interpret them to mean nothing about Hazell's future.
I too think the decision has been made, but this was a very carefully crafted statement that,in effect, said nothing.
Like you, I have my fingers crossed.

I too got the copy and paste response. I like that the fans are letting him know how they feel though.

Firing Hazell, sooner or later, although necessary, isn't the issue and Hazell isn't the real problem. The real problem is the penny pinching, tight-fisted, STUPIDITY, that has for too long run from the Prez to the BOT, down to the AD! And this problem isn't only in athletics -- most of the academic side is underpaid relative to peers and falling in the rankings as a result of losing key faculty to once lesser schools now willing to pay more competitive salaries.

Firing Hazell, sooner or later, although necessary, isn't the issue and Hazell isn't the real problem. The real problem is the penny pinching, tight-fisted, STUPIDITY, that has for too long run from the Prez to the BOT, down to the AD! And this problem isn't only in athletics -- most of the academic side is underpaid relative to peers and falling in the rankings as a result of losing key faculty to once lesser schools now willing to pay more competitive salaries.

You are correct, the academic side is getting Burked too. But hey, we didn't raise tuition!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT