ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t think we got a shot off in the last 4 minutes

pretty pathetic.

Nojel was the best player for FSU tonight.

This finish was gross. This was the equivalent of being up 2 TDs late in the 4th and going into a shell.

This team is not well coached.
Not really sure what Haarms gives us right now either. EB is by far the best 5 on this team. From what I’ve seen the last few games, not sure why TW is not playing more. He looked better than MH when he was in.

Sasha was a spark and Tre helped us stop the bleeding late in the first half.

Painter sticks with dudes too long.

That was literally the worst 4 minutes of basketball I’ve ever seen a team play. I’m not usually the hate poster after a loss but the level of ineptness there by players and coaches was THAT bad.

pretty pathetic.

This finish was gross. This was the equivalent of being up 2 TDs late in the 4th and going into a shell.

Agreed. The Nojel Eastern PG experiment has failed. There is absolutely no way you can dribble it off your foot without a defender within 5 feet of you.

Our issue is that we have 3 guys that can score double figures on a given night (Edwards, Cline, EB). After that we are lucky to get 5 points out of anyone else. Our starting lineup has 3 guys who cant score.

New lineup should be:

1: Carsen
2: Cline
3: Sasha
4: Eastern (mainly because we dont have anyone else to play here)
5: EB

I don’t understand why Tre can’t get a few more minutes. It seemed like when he and Sasha came in at end of 1st half they gave kind of a lift to a team that had been horrid to that point. Could he really be that much of a drop off from what they’re getting from Haarms right now? I just can’t believe that there aren’t guys on that bench that could contribute more than Eifert. He’s a nice walk-on that plays hard, but that’s all he is. Trying to make him something more seems unfair to him honestly.

why you gotta lie?
Nah. First time in a long time man. It’s not my style but this was so egregious I had to vent.

Nojel was so bad tonight it hurts. Literally did NOTHING positive. The kid couldn’t even keep his feet half the time.

Gross effort.

I don’t understand why Tre can’t get a few more minutes. It seemed like when he and Sasha came in at end of 1st half they gave kind of a lift to a team that had been horrid to that point. Could he really be that much of a drop off from what they’re getting from Haarms right now? I just can’t believe that there aren’t guys on that bench that could contribute more than Eifert. He’s a nice walk-on that plays hard, but that’s all he is. Trying to make him something more seems unfair to him honestly.

Tre needed some time when Haarms ur the bench with 4 fouls. EB was gassed.

pretty pathetic.

Eastern shut down Mann in the 2nd half. Purdue is much better with him out there.

The dribble off the foot timing was bad, but multiple plays cost Purdue the game in the last 4 mins.

Eastern shut down Mann in the 2nd half. Purdue is much better with him out there.

The dribble off the foot timing was bad, but multiple plays cost Purdue the game in the last 4 mins.
Agree they are better with jelly on the floor but I’m agreeing with those who are saying not as a point guard. As I think about it right now I agree with those who say the best 5 are CE, Cline, jelly, ebo, Sasha.

Not really sure what Haarms gives us right now either. EB is by far the best 5 on this team. From what I’ve seen the last few games, not sure why TW is not playing more. He looked better than MH when he was in.

The haarme thing: the lack of any visible improvement from last year is what frustrates. Third year in the program now, I think this is what he is and that's disappointing.

The feedback when the lack of recruiting is called out is we are a developmental program, it hasn't worked 3 years in so far with him. Hope he's a late bloomer but he's 21 already

Agreed. The Nojel Eastern PG experiment has failed. There is absolutely no way you can dribble it off your foot without a defender within 5 feet of you.

Our issue is that we have 3 guys that can score double figures on a given night (Edwards, Cline, EB). After that we are lucky to get 5 points out of anyone else. Our starting lineup has 3 guys who cant score.

New lineup should be:

1: Carsen
2: Cline
3: Sasha
4: Eastern (mainly because we dont have anyone else to play here)
5: EB
Are you saying nojel playing the PG not working really. He controlled the game yes the ball went of his foot but surely u don’t think he’s the reason Purdue lost when others had t/o too. The offense as I’ve said a thousand times has to be spread out more. I would agree nojel my has to start being more aggressive on the offensive end but also there are not many plays ram for him either.

We need Eastern on the floor if for no other reason his stellar defense. Terrance Mann basically disappeared in the 2nd half in large part because of Eastern's defense. If Mann doesn't get shut down we probably never would have had a chance to win this game. I wish we didn't have to play Michigan next, that is going to be tough. They destroyed North Carolina and Villanova already. I really think Michigan may be the best team in the Country right now. Hope we can keep on our chin up no matter what happens. After Michigan, I think the next 2 games against Maryland and Texas will be criticial. We need to get those 2 wins for sure.

Nah. First time in a long time man. It’s not my style but this was so egregious I had to vent.

Nojel was so bad tonight it hurts. Literally did NOTHING positive. The kid couldn’t even keep his feet half the time.

Gross effort.
Gross effort did nothing positive look at his stats. 4 t/o so did others shut down Mann collected 5 rebounds besides not scoring the ball more he was instrumental in that comeback to take the lead but u wanna criticize his efforts. His shoes was slippery he changed them that definitely helped him not turning it over. The t/o late in game hurted but not reason we lost. He did a lot of things well but to say he gave no effort what game were u watching.

The real difference in the game came down to our inability to make free throws. We left 8 points at the line and only shot 68% from the stripe. That's too many points and it came back to bite us. Just make two more free throws and we would have won it. The white placards that FSU was using behind the basket really seemed to be effective at disrupting our free throw shooters. Also the no call on the obvious foul to Carsen with 20 seconds to go really hurt. A couple of other thoughts...we had 5 steals as a team..3 by Eastern and 2 by Sasha...rest of the team none. We also had 20 turnovers as a team. Carsen had twice as many turnovers as anyone else so if anyoine needs to be called out for turnovers I would start there.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The real difference in the game came down to our inability to make free throws. We left 8 points at the line and only shot 68% from the stripe. That's too many points and it came back to bite us. Just make two more free throws and we would have won it. The white placards that FSU was using behind the basket really seemed to be effective at disrupting our free throw shooters. Also the no call on the obvious foul to Carsen with 20 seconds to go really hurt. A couple of other thoughts...we had 5 steals as a team..3 by Eastern and 2 by Sasha...rest of the team none. We also had 20 turnovers as a team. Carsen had twice as many turnovers as anyone else so if anyoine needs to be called out for turnovers I would start there.
True, there were others with high turnovers. Those same players were our only scoring options, and almost single handedly got us back in the game. Having high turnovers along with not contributing on offense is not a great thing.

True, there were others with high turnovers. Those same players were our only scoring options, and almost single handedly got us back in the game. Having high turnovers along with not contributing on offense is not a great thing.
The higher the offensive output the more acceptable it is to look the other way regarding turnovers - I get that. Sort of like a quarterback that has two interceptions but throws 5 touchdown passses and throws for 300 yards. You can kind of forgive the interceptions especially if they didn't cost you the game. I would also say though that this is just one game of the sample and I don't think is representative of our potential. We almost pulled off the mini-upset despite a first half in which no one seemed to play their best.

Chill and relax...this young team is going through some normal growing pains that most of us expected but after a quick start of the season...some forgot about. It’s not about coaching, it’s about the players having or getting the experience at the Top level in tough situations and games!

Sasha was a spark and Tre helped us stop the bleeding late in the first half.

Painter sticks with dudes too long.

That was literally the worst 4 minutes of basketball I’ve ever seen a team play. I’m not usually the hate poster after a loss but the level of ineptness there by players and coaches was THAT bad.
Sasha is coming along nicely, but there had to be serious concern wtih Tre getting up and down teh court with FSU...I just think the rebounding was sooooooo bad that they gave him a try. probably shocked Tre getting in that early

Chill and relax...this young team is going through some normal growing pains that most of us expected but after a quick start of the season...some forgot about. It’s not about coaching, it’s about the players having or getting the experience at the Top level in tough situations and games!
Bumping this thread and post so everyone can read it. Well said.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The team was gassed at the end after making that comeback and gaining the lead. Carsen missing two free throws in a row, both short, was evidence of this.

For a young team such as this years team to be able to go on the road against a top 15 team and only lose by 1 point, on a basket made with seconds remaining isn’t going to spoil my season. Replacing four seniors takes time and it’s November. Ignore the regular trolls who only show up after games like this and buckle up as B1G season is starting Saturday.

Haarms needs to come off the bench next game....not even close to living up to potential this year.......not seeing any improvement from last year!

Yeah. He's essentially the same player as last year. Nice player to bring off the bench for a spark. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Who you replace him with. Edwards, Cline, Ebo, and Eastern are obviously our best players and need to be out there as much as possible. Wish Wheeler could at least drive to the basket or had any moves other than standing around the 3pt line.

Reactions: DAG10
The team was gassed at the end after making that comeback and gaining the lead. Carsen missing two free throws in a row, both short, was evidence of this.

For a young team such as this years team to be able to go on the road against a top 15 team and only lose by 1 point, on a basket made with seconds remaining isn’t going to spoil my season. Replacing four seniors takes time and it’s November. Ignore the regular trolls who only show up after games like this and buckle up as B1G season is starting Saturday.
it's easy to say this now. then we end up in the 8/9 game with the duke 1 seed...because our entire team and staff can't get us a bucket in 3 minutes. This wasn't like ArLR where they just hit prayer after prayer. This was purdue losing the game, not fsu being amazing. It's unacceptable.

this is a rough stretch for a young team. hopefully they can survive and build and be ready for big ten play by january. could be a long season if they continue to play like they did last night

it's easy to say this now. then we end up in the 8/9 game with the duke 1 seed...because our entire team and staff can't get us a bucket in 3 minutes. This wasn't like ArLR where they just hit prayer after prayer. This was purdue losing the game, not fsu being amazing. It's unacceptable.
I would be much more concerned with the 10 turnovers in the first half than Carsen missing a couple of freebies late in the game on the road. I doubt he does that ever again. The team played horrible the first half and made costly mistakes late, yet we lost by one on the road to the #15 team in the country...in November. Try to keep things in perspective and you might save yourself some heartache.

Reactions: mathboy
I would be much more concerned with the 10 turnovers in the first half than Carsen missing a couple of freebies late in the game on the road. I doubt he does that ever again. The team played horrible the first half and made costly mistakes late, yet we lost by one on the road to the #15 team in the country...in November. Try to keep things in perspective and you might save yourself some heartache.
I'm in perspective. These 10 games (including fsu) are the meat of the season. It's just how our schedule worked out.

...This was purdue losing the game, not fsu being amazing...

That's why last night's ending was so disappointing. The last 2.5 minutes for FSU: 2 FTs & 1 FG while missing 1 FT & committing 2 TOs.

The last 2.5 minutes while trying to hang onto a 3pt lead for our Sr & Jr guards:
-Fouled FSU on a 3 pt attempt (resulting in those 2 FSU FTs)
-4 TOs
-2 missed FTs
-0 pts

I expected to be frustrated at times with this team & for them to lose some games due to youth & inexperience. It was such a disappointment to see our experienced leaders make mistake after mistake in crunch time.

I loved the fight & perseverance from our guys last night. I still think this team can do good things this year & they look really good when things are clicking, but our guys seemingly tripped over their own feet in losing that game last night.

That's why last night's ending was so disappointing. The last 2.5 minutes for FSU: 2 FTs & 1 FG while missing 1 FT & committing 2 TOs.

The last 2.5 minutes while trying to hang onto a 3pt lead for our Sr & Jr guards:
-Fouled FSU on a 3 pt attempt (resulting in those 2 FSU FTs)
-4 TOs
-2 missed FTs
-0 pts

I expected to be frustrated at times with this team & for them to lose some games due to youth & inexperience. It was such a disappointment to see our experienced leaders make mistake after mistake in crunch time.

I loved the fight & perseverance from our guys last night. I still think this team can do good things this year & they look really good when things are clicking, but our guys seemingly tripped over their own feet in losing that game last night.
It went further than that. 1 mark in the last 11 possessions. 5 blanks on 3’s, 2 blanks from the line, 5 TO’s.

Gotta be able to play at least a little bit in crunch time.

Reactions: tjreese
Sasha is coming along nicely, but there had to be serious concern wtih Tre getting up and down teh court with FSU...I just think the rebounding was sooooooo bad that they gave him a try. probably shocked Tre getting in that early
Our rebounding was soooo bad? we out rebounded F St 32-29 - thats not too bad....

We need Eastern on the floor if for no other reason his stellar defense. Terrance Mann basically disappeared in the 2nd half in large part because of Eastern's defense. If Mann doesn't get shut down we probably never would have had a chance to win this game. I wish we didn't have to play Michigan next, that is going to be tough. They destroyed North Carolina and Villanova already. I really think Michigan may be the best team in the Country right now. Hope we can keep on our chin up no matter what happens. After Michigan, I think the next 2 games against Maryland and Texas will be criticial. We need to get those 2 wins for sure.
I would agree, NE usually plays great D, but that last possession by FSU was not good. He basically backed away from the shooter & gave him an open jumper. I know he thought he was pushed & maybe tried to draw the charge, but you have to realize the last 10 seconds of a game, the refs are usually going to swallow the whistle.

Let's add to the discussion that FSU was an elite eight team last year with pretty much the same roster coming back this year. They are one of the very best defensive teams in the country and they showed that in the last 5 minutes, using defensive pressure to claw back into this game. Some posters think that we (the Purdue Team) are in control of all things. Our team either wins or loses and the opponent has nothing to do with it. That is such a wrong perspective that I am troubled to address it.

When I read "we gave this game away" it really does not characterize last night's situation accurately. The other team was able to force errors through an incredibly intense full court trapping defense that they played very well. Their coordination was excellent this early in the season, but maybe expected since the same group has played together for some time. They were able to force Purdue (having less coordination) into some errors. They also got very lucky the moving trap on Carsen was not called a foul. I can't say we gave it away, but we had our chances to walk away with a win. The other guys just wanted it more and made better plays.

Let's add to the discussion that FSU was an elite eight team last year with pretty much the same roster coming back this year. They are one of the very best defensive teams in the country and they showed that in the last 5 minutes, using defensive pressure to claw back into this game. Some posters think that we (the Purdue Team) are in control of all things. Our team either wins or loses and the opponent has nothing to do with it. That is such a wrong perspective that I am troubled to address it.

When I read "we gave this game away" it really does not characterize last night's situation accurately. The other team was able to force errors through an incredibly intense full court trapping defense that they played very well. Their coordination was excellent this early in the season, but maybe expected since the same group has played together for some time. They were able to force Purdue (having less coordination) into some errors. They also got very lucky the moving trap on Carsen was not called a foul. I can't say we gave it away, but we had our chances to walk away with a win. The other guys just wanted it more and made better plays.
If it wasn't a pattern of blowing leads late with CMP teams, I would give that thought some consideration... but we've all seen this play out to many times.

Reactions: DAG10
If it wasn't a pattern of blowing leads late with CMP teams, I would give that thought some consideration... but we've all seen this play out to many times.
I think you are responding emotionally (I don't blame you). I think if you look at our win-lose numbers in close games, you will find we win more often than lose.

I think you are responding emotionally (I don't blame you). I think if you look at our win-lose numbers in close games, you will find we win more often than lose.
Like I said, there is a pattern of blowing games. He hasn't figured out how to correct it, which is why we struggle in March.

Reactions: pboiler18
Games like last night always bring out "the Purdue mentality". There are two sides to that mentality, though. The "here we go again, we can never finish or win big games" and the "it's okay, all is good, they'll learn and this will make them better". It's always the same. The fact of the matter, though, is that both can be right at the same time...hopefully. If you've been a Purdue sports fan for long enough, and you're honest with yourself, you knew last night watching Carsen miss two free throws and then as soon as the jumpball was called that Purdue was going to lose that game. My old roommate texted me after Eastern dribbled it off his foot and said "They're going to blow this aren't they?" Yep. To quote the late Dennis Green: "They are who we thought they are." But they are still Boilermakers and I will still always support them and root for them, but there's nothing wrong with a little honesty too.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT