ADVERTISEMENT

Hummel to work his first NCAA tournament games

Most people who take issue with Hummel do so because he doesn’t watch the game with Black and gold colored glasses.
I think him and Benetti are the best two in the business right now. Love how Robbie called out how horrible the refs were both ways on Sunday. He does his homework and actually knows what he’s talking about. And most importantly, he calls players by the correct name…unlike old heads like Brando.

I think he goes out of his way to show that he's not a homer. With this new assignment, working to maintain his integrity seems to be working for him. Good for him.
That’s interesting because I really think he’s extremely fair. He’s sometimes wrong on a call but I think that has more to do than viewing angle than bias.

I think he goes out of his way to show that he's not a homer. With this new assignment, working to maintain his integrity seems to be working for him. Good for him.

That’s interesting because I really think he’s extremely fair. He’s sometimes wrong on a call but I think that has more to do than viewing angle than bias.

Hummel and Benetti are a really good team, IMO. I think Rob Hummel initially might have over-compensated doing Purdue games.....he seems to have settled in now and is pretty even-handed. He gives timely analysis and also gets into some nuances in the flow of the game - but doesn't overshadow the game, IMO.....but yes, I am a little biased.

Also, likely due to elevated Boilerepherine levels, but for a while, it sure seemed like the Boilers played poorly in most games he called.

It's also entertaining when Benetti gives the needle a little bit either in reference to Hummel's playing days @ Purdue and with the Timberwolves or overseas. They have good chemistry and a healthy respect for each other. I always chuckle when Hummel interviews Painter - waiting for a nugget to come out.

Given the way he played the game and how he conducted himself during his time @ Purdue and professionally, I'm not surprised at all....he deserves the success....good to see.

Hummel and Benetti are a really good team, IMO. I think Rob Hummel initially might have over-compensated doing Purdue games.....he seems to have settled in now and is pretty even-handed. He gives timely analysis and also gets into some nuances in the flow of the game - but doesn't overshadow the game, IMO.....but yes, I am a little biased.

Also, likely due to elevated Boilerepherine levels, but for a while, it sure seemed like the Boilers played poorly in most games he called.

It's also entertaining when Benetti gives the needle a little bit either in reference to Hummel's playing days @ Purdue and with the Timberwolves or overseas. They have good chemistry and a healthy respect for each other. I always chuckle when Hummel interviews Painter - waiting for a nugget to come out.

Given the way he played the game and how he conducted himself during his time @ Purdue and professionally, I'm not surprised at all....he deserves the success....good to see.
Love him and Benetti too. I'm going to miss Benetti on White Sox games. Just another stupid decision by the Sox.....They stink, but at least we had good on air talent with he and Steve Stone. Now we don't even have that.

Sorry about that rant. Very happy for Rob,

Reactions: tjreese and DrEss
Love him and Benetti too. I'm going to miss Benetti on White Sox games. Just another stupid decision by the Sox.....They stink, but at least we had good on air talent with he and Steve Stone. Now we don't even have that.

Agree on Benetti. But, as good as he was, he could never top the moment when Hawk left the booth because he had to go check on Todd Frazier after Frazier injured himself going into the stands for a foul ball. That's an all-time great moment in the history of baseball broadcasting.

Reactions: DrEss
I think him and Benetti are the best two in the business right now. Love how Robbie called out how horrible the refs were both ways on Sunday. He does his homework and actually knows what he’s talking about. And most importantly, he calls players by the correct name…unlike old heads like Brando.
These two together are so good. I'll watch any game they do together regardless of who is playing.

As a Sox fan Benetti is just an absolute gem. It really sucks to see him go to the Tigers.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Agree on Benetti. But, as good as he was, he could never top the moment when Hawk left the booth because he had to go check on Todd Frazier after Frazier injured himself going into the stands for a foul ball. That's an all-time great moment in the history of baseball broadcasting.

I used to watch some of the SOX games from time to time just for what Hawk might say. Back in the day when it was them or the Indians (errr....sorry.... Guardians) I recall a game in Jacobs Field. Thome unleashed one of his moonshots to center field......one of those no-doubters off the crack of the bat, like the All-Star Game Home Run Derby tape measure blasts......lol.

It was swing and a loud KERRRPH.....crowd roars......then almost instantaneously you hear Hawk - "Uh-oh.....that's trouble, Wimpy." Flash to centerfield and you see the ball ricocheting off the trees out there....yeah - that's trouble as Thome is circling the bases. Naturally, as a native Clevelander I'm shouting at the TV......you cannnnn PUT it on the boarrrrrd......YESSSSSS!!!

Sorry for that digression, folks.....

Hawk is in a category all by himself! Biggest homer ever, but he was our homer!

And now it appears we might not have Dylan Cease. Talk he is being traded to the Fathers.

I would guess that he has a TV monitor to watch the game? Otherwise, sitting down could be tough to see farther away and in traffic. I don’t know that for certain, but some things would be hard to see

Most people who take issue with Hummel do so because he doesn’t watch the game with Black and gold colored glasses.

I think its very difficult what Hummell does since he seems to announce so many Purdue games. 100% he cant be a homer on a national broadcast even though you can tell he bleeds black and gold off the air. I love Hummel as a broadcaster and respect the hell out of how impartial he tries to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT