ADVERTISEMENT

How to Deal with Spam on GBI

Which "GREAT" generation are you a part of?

• The Greatest Generation (1910-1924)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The Silent Generation (1925-1945)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Baby Boomer Generation (1946-1964)

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Generation X (Baby Bust) Generation (1965-1979)

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Xennials (1975-1985)

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Millenials/Gen Y/Gen Next (1980-1994)

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • iGen/GenZ/Boomlets (1995-current)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I was born into the wrong generation

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 12, 2017
**This post is a JOKE and should be taken with a grain of salt. While it contains some truth that a couple of individuals could take to heart, please don't @ me spitefully because you think your generation was "THE" great generation and that subsequent (or prior) generations have nothing to offer.**

Fellow Boilermakers and GBI posters,

We've had a significant amount of terribly unintelligent spam recently, to which many of our posters have attempted to counteract with their own witty (or not so witty) responses. Because the defensive responses have been so hit or miss, I have put together the following guide for how to respond to trolls on GBI(especially for those who are 40+ in age):

1a. If you are 40+, please don't respond in writing to the trolls. The internet is a very different place than your reality, and most of your comments will either feed the attention-driven nature of the trolls or will leave the opening for another troll.

1b. If you are under-40, STILL don't respond unless you know the true name of the troll and are going to call them out. Nobody on this site is witty enough to embarrass or shame an individual who has created an anonymous profile that can't be tracked to their true identity.

2. You can Tweet at Brian Neubert (https://twitter.com/brianneubert?lang=en), Alan Karpick (https://twitter.com/AlanKarpick?lang=en), Matt Stevens (https://twitter.com/matthewcstevens?lang=en), or the GBI Twitter handle (https://twitter.com/GoldandBlackcom?lang=en) with complaints. To make the most noise, your tweets will have to be "unprotected" so that people who don't already follow you can still see what you write.

3. Go directly to the "profile" page of the troll in question and report the PROFILE, not the individual comment. Reporting a profile simultaneously reports all of the comments that the profile has made, allowing mods to go directly to the source of the problem and minimizing the work they have to do.

4. If you are logged in, immediately ignore/block any trolls and then make a comment on a NON-SPAM thread (not their thread). The best way to minimize the work of trolls is to ignore and then bury their threads by commenting on another thread, which bumps their thread down.

5. Pay for a Premium account where only serious trolls are welcome - your comments and complaints will also be welcome there as you will no longer be seen as a "cheapskate", "freeloader", etc.

6. If all of the options above are not enough or don't suit your style, don't get on the Internet any more. As much as you (or perhaps someone you know) may ridicule those who talk of a "safe space" for various individuals, rejecting options 1-5 seems to suggest that you, yourself, need a safe space as well. Such places cannot be found on the internet, and you will be disappointed if you think otherwise.

I will not be responding to comments about this particular post, but feel free to like or comment to help bury recent spam posts. If you're offended, I'm sorry (not sorry).

Boiler Up,

overthetop16

Last edited:
Yeah, for satire this is complete fail. For those of us over 40, we were in college when the internet was taking off and have watched it grow and develop, so we very much know the internet.

So guessing your a millennial who thinks they have it all figured out and know it all since you seem to think 40+ is old and inadequate.

Reactions: tjreese and BBG
If you are stupid as hell respond to the troll- age has no bearing on your ability to be stupid.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
1b. If you are under-40, STILL don't respond unless you know the true name of the troll and are going to call them out. Nobody on this site is witty enough to embarrass or shame an individual who has created an anonymous profile that can't be tracked to their true identity.
I disagree with this. If you pay attention, there are extremely witty people on this site. The problem is that you are dealing with a brain-numb individual who has no wit of his own... and obviously no shame. If his mother failed, no one here can reach him.

Wit is overrated, and action always causes reaction. People need to be wise and ignore spam.

Reactions: LLaswell
But some of us are bed ridden and this is our only entertainment all day. Reading the spam helps me make it through my boring day. Looking at the ceiling fan from my bed after 16 hours a day get boring, almost as bad as the zero sodium and zero sugar diet my wife has me on. The spam and the replies to it make me smile. I also love reading the banter and trash talk between IU and Purdue fans.

But some of us are bed ridden and this is our only entertainment all day. Reading the spam helps me make it through my boring day. Looking at the ceiling fan from my bed after 16 hours a day get boring, almost as bad as the zero sodium and zero sugar diet my wife has me on. The spam and the replies to it make me smile. I also love reading the banter and trash talk between IU and Purdue fans.
May I suggest a Game of Thrones marathon?

Reactions: overthetop16
Yeah, for satire this is complete fail. For those of us over 40, we were in college when the internet was taking off and have watched it grow and develop, so we very much know the internet.

So guessing your a millennial who thinks they have it all figured out and know it all since you seem to think 40+ is old and inadequate.
you can be smart and many are, but wisdom comes from being smart AND experienced should it ever be obtained...

A couple of thoughts/clarifications/apologies:

- Yes, I'm one of the millennials on the board, which puts me somewhere between my mid 20's to late 30's. I definitely don't have anything figured out. @Indy_Rider: besides being very easily triggered, you may be confusing me with iGen/GenZ.

- The "Greatest Generation" deserves its title IMO and then it's a pissing contest for 2nd place between everyone else. I made the mistake of bringing generations/age into this, and would agree that wisdom and stupidity are fairly evenly distributed among the generations. My apologies.

- pig1960, BoilerAndy, icewind7, and Purdue0034 all posted comments which voiced my true feelings in a much more tactful way - kudos.

- @Wolegib, you seem to do a good job articulating your thoughts - have you tried writing?

you can be smart and many are, but wisdom comes from being smart AND experienced should it ever be obtained...

-tjreese with the quote of the week. I have also been taught that the "experience" part of the equation can come from years lived and also from mistakes made.

To those who had a little grace in your responses or comments, I appreciate it. You are one of the primary reasons that GBI isn't completely out of control.

Reactions: northside100

- Yes, I'm one of the millennials on the board, which puts me somewhere between my mid 20's to late 30's. I definitely don't have anything figured out. @Indy_Rider: besides being very easily triggered, you may be confusing me with iGen/GenZ.

- The "Greatest Generation" deserves its title IMO and then it's a pissing contest for 2nd place between everyone else. I made the mistake of bringing generations/age into this, and would agree that wisdom and stupidity are fairly evenly distributed among the generations. My apologies.

- pig1960, BoilerAndy, icewind7, and Purdue0034 all posted comments which voiced my true feelings in a much more tactful way - kudos.

- [B][I][U]@Wolegib[/U][/I][/B], you seem to do a good job articulating your thoughts - have you tried writing?

-tjreese with the quote of the week. I have also been taught that the "experience" part of the equation can come from years lived and also from mistakes made.

To those who had a little grace in your responses or comments, I appreciate it. You are one of the primary reasons that GBI isn't completely out of control.

Oh, my . . . please do NOT encourage him.

:D

- @Wolegib, you seem to do a good job articulating your thoughts - have you tried writing?

my answer to which various degrees of success were met by my children is that a smart person learns from his mistakes, but that a wise person learns from the mistakes of others and need not make the mistake in the first place. ;) easier said than done, but ...true...

my answer to which various degrees of success were met by my children is that a smart person learns from his mistakes, but that a wise person learns from the mistakes of others and need not make the mistake in the first place. ;) easier said than done, but ...true...
I always told my kids that you can learn from everyone's example. Some are good examples and some are bad examples. Know the difference and learn from them.

Reactions: tjreese
If all these recent scam and hoax attacks are coming from the same IP address BLOCK IT and anyone that also happens to be on it can re-register with a Photo ID. Simple fix!

Let's be real here for a moment, the moderators here just suck. The things that are allowed to go on here are embarrassing and is why no one takes this site seriously anymore and most people have left it.

I understand that this is just the 'free board' but it still needs moderated at least some.

Let's be real here for a moment, the moderators here just suck. The things that are allowed to go on here are embarrassing and is why no one takes this site seriously anymore and most people have left it.

I understand that this is just the 'free board' but it still needs moderated at least some.

There are many successful free boards on the internet that are adequately moderated. The lack of moderators here signals a complete lack of interest from a company that should want to encourage fan engagement.

There are many successful free boards on the internet that are adequately moderated. The lack of moderators here signals a complete lack of interest from a company that should want to encourage fan engagement.

Unfortunately, I must agree.

Years ago I used to post (and monitor) another forum, which shall remain nameless. For some reason I gravitated to this (Old Gold & Black) forum. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason it "feels" different in the Rivals environment than before.

I've been pondering that. I initially thought it was a 15 year old boy doing it but since I own one of those I asked him and he said it would be incredibly bad form to post gay slurs.

Now I'm thinking it's just a giant douchebag, probably 40-50 years old that's trying to be the biggest pain in the ass that he can be. And rest assured it's a he (due to the gay slurs) and he's angry at the world cause he's such a loser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT