ADVERTISEMENT

How the drives stalled

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
For those wondering how we rushed for 341 yards and only scored 19 points, and for those seeing 8.1 ypc and concluding that we should have simply ran the ball more, I offer a summary of how each non-scoring drive ended.

3rd & 5: RUSH for 4 yards (after 2 incompletions and EMU penalty)
3rd & 9: RUSH for 3 yards (after 2 rushing plays)
3rd & 18: PASS for 10 yards (after PU penalty and 2 rushing plays)
3rd & 15: FUMBLE on 9 yard gain (after PU penalty)

3rd & 6: PASS incomplete (after PU penalty and 2 rushing plays)
3rd & 5: SACK (after rush and incomplete pass)
4th &1: RUSH for -1 yard (after incomplete pass and 2 rushing plays)
2nd & 5: FUMBLE on 13 yard gain
3rd & 7: PASS incomplete (after 2 rushing plays)
3rd &11: PASS incomplete (after 2 rushing plays)

Out of 10 drives that resulted in 0 points, I can see maybe 2 drives where we arguably got away from the running game too much. I say arguably because you have to maintain some sort of balance, but I'll spot you those 2. On all the other drives it was our running game or penalties that put us in one of two situations: (a) 3rd and short, which we were unable to convert with the running game OR (b) 3rd and long which we were unable to convert. Penalties and failed 3rd down conversions were huge. And as many rushing yards as we piled up, we were often not able to exert our will at the line when it counted most.

The only complaint I have about the passing game is I don't recall seeing us take any shots down field. I think we went into this game with a playing not to lose mentality. No shots down field. No trick plays. Maybe it will help the team's mindset to be the underdog this week..

Last edited:
For those wondering how we rushed for 341 yards and only scored 19 points, and for those seeing 8.1 ypc and concluding that we should have simply ran the ball more, I offer a summary of how each non-scoring drive ended.

3rd & 5: RUSH for 4 yards (after 2 incompletions and EMU penalty)
3rd & 9: RUSH for 3 yards (after 2 rushing plays)
3rd & 18: PASS for 10 yards (after PU penalty and 2 rushing plays)
3rd & 15: FUMBLE on 9 yard gain (after PU penalty)

3rd & 6: PASS incomplete (after PU penalty and 2 rushing plays)
3rd & 5: SACK (after rush and incomplete pass)
4th &1: RUSH for -1 yard (after incomplete pass and 2 rushing plays)
2nd & 5: FUMBLE on 13 yard gain
3rd & 7: PASS incomplete (after 2 rushing plays)
3rd &11: PASS incomplete (after 2 rushing plays)

Out of 10 drives that resulted in 0 points, I can see maybe 2 drives where we arguably got away from the running game too much. I say arguably because you have to maintain some sort of balance, but I'll spot you those 2. On all the other drives it was our running game or penalties that put us in one of two situations: (a) 3rd and short, which we were unable to convert with the running game OR (b) 3rd and long which we were unable to convert. Penalties and failed 3rd down conversions were huge. And as many rushing yards as we piled up, we were often not able to exert our will at the line when it counted most.

The only complaint I have about the passing game is I don't recall seeing us take any shots down field. I think we went into this game with a playing not to lose mentality. No shots down field. No trick plays. Maybe it will help the team's mindset to be the underdog this week..

They were playing a Cover Two and forcing the QB's to find the underneath routes. Anytime Rondale was on the field, EMU rolled a safety over the top and had help...this is why on his jet sweep, EMU blitzed the safety to the short side while the other safety shifted to a cover 1. Would have liked to see a few calls where the jet sweep was faked and then gone back to the other side for a WR/RB screen or a deep route with one on one coverage for Zico or Sparks.

They were playing a Cover Two and forcing the QB's to find the underneath routes. Anytime Rondale was on the field, EMU rolled a safety over the top and had help...this is why on his jet sweep, EMU blitzed the safety to the short side while the other safety shifted to a cover 1. Would have liked to see a few calls where the jet sweep was faked and then gone back to the other side for a WR/RB screen or a deep route with one on one coverage for Zico or Sparks.
EMU had a good game plan, for sure. But you've got to take some shots. With 4 wide there is single coverage somewhere on the field. EMU threw into tight single coverage, even under threw the ball, and got a TD out of it. This team is a team that has to be willing to take a few risks. We don't have a Wisconsin OLine that is going to punch it in the red zone no matter how many rushing yards we roll up between the 20's. But that was sort of a side point.. The point of the OP was that passing the ball 24 times was not our undoing and also we were not as dominant on the ground as the stats would indicate.

Last edited:
where was the play action to the TE on the key 2nd & 4
7 yard loss? would have put the game away

EMU had a good game plan, for sure. But you've got to take some shots. With 4 wide there is single coverage somewhere on the field. EMU threw into tight single coverage, even under threw the ball, and got a TD out of it. This team is a team that has to be willing to take a few risks. We don't have a Wisconsin OLine that is going to punch it in the red zone no matter how many rushing yards we roll up between the 20's.

I think you are missing the point about Cover 2, or you do not understand how they work. Cover 2 is not single coverage when you go deep. The safeties pick up the WR deep so you either have double coverage unless you time perfectly and you catch them right before they can pick up the targeted receiver (hence the underneath routes). Cover 2 is tough to go deep on, and that is by design. If they did go deep, you probably would have some knowledgeable fans like JDB asking why we would go deep against a Cover 2 and not find the underneath routes. The screens worked out well on our last TD since we let Rondale go deep keeping the safeties back in the Cover 2 and we hit the TE instead which was defended by a single LB back in coverage. The issue with the underneath routes was execution by our QBs. Accuracy was off or they held onto the ball too long. A couple looked like miscommunication or receivers giving up on their routes.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I think you are missing the point about Cover 2, or you do not understand how they work. Cover 2 is not single coverage when you go deep. The safeties pick up the WR deep so you either have double coverage unless you time perfectly and you catch them right before they can pick up the targeted receiver (hence the underneath routes). Cover 2 is tough to go deep on, and that is by design. If they did go deep, you probably would have some knowledgeable fans like JDB asking why we would go deep against a Cover 2 and not find the underneath routes. The screens worked out well on our last TD since we let Rondale go deep keeping the safeties back in the Cover 2 and we hit the TE instead which was defended by a single LB back in coverage. The issue with the underneath routes was execution by our QBs. Accuracy was off or they held onto the ball too long. A couple looked like miscommunication or receivers giving up on their routes.
No I get it. They just weren't in deep cover 2 for most of the game. And there are still ways to beat it (trips) or at least go after it and get the safeties more than 10 yards off the line, which is where they were pretty much all day. But let's get off the side note.

No I get it. They just weren't in deep cover 2 for most of the game. And there are still ways to beat it (trips) or at least go after it and get the safeties more than 10 yards off the line, which is where they were pretty much all day. But let's get off the side note.
Any time Rondale went in motion, they rolled out of their Cover 2 look and went to a Cover 1...really evident on the jet sweep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT