ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts from yesterday's game

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Offense - overall underwhelming. I was expecting us to do more of what Fresno State did. Looks like we do have big play ability though. EDIT: after rewatching, I think it was the lack of urgency to put this away in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that made this overall underwhelming.

Penalties - we were very good here. Even the Scouton roughing the passer penalty was pretty questionable to me.

Card - Looks like he could get positive yards running on almost every drop back. He probably should have run a few more times. The threat of him running could really open things up. Edit: rewatched the scoring drives. He made a few really good throws. I also don't worry about him getting sacked as he's pretty light on his feet back there. That 4th down play to Burks where he backpedals and then flings it in there was really a great play.

Scourton - for the hype, he was a bit underwhelming. Jenkins looked to be the better player Saturday. I was anticipating more disruption from Scourton, but didn't see it on Saturday.

O-Line - eesh

Secondary - I'm not a coach, so I'm not sure if its scheme or the players. Brown and Wilson made some nice plays. Credit to Fresno, they just kept coming. Those 6-8 yard pass plays killed us. Not sure how as a coach you just let that happen over and over again.

EDIT: 2nd half tackling - totally sucked. FSU was able to extend drives over and over due to missed tackling.

EDIT: FSU QB - give credit where credit is due. He made throw after throw in tight windows with our d line on top of him.

Last edited:
Offense - overall underwhelming. I was expecting us to do more of what Fresno State did. Looks like we do have big play ability though. EDIT: after rewatching, I think it was the lack of urgency to put this away in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that made this overall underwhelming.

Penalties - we were very good here. Even the Scouton roughing the passer penalty was pretty questionable to me.

Card - Looks like he could get positive yards running on almost every drop back. He probably should have run a few more times. The threat of him running could really open things up. Edit: rewatched the scoring drives. He made a few really good throws. I also don't worry about him getting sacked as he's pretty light on his feet back there. That 4th down play to Burks where he backpedals and then flings it in there was really a great play.

Scourton - for the hype, he was a bit underwhelming. Jenkins looked to be the better player Saturday. I was anticipating more disruption from Scourton, but didn't see it on Saturday.

O-Line - eesh

Secondary - I'm not a coach, so I'm not sure if its scheme or the players. Brown and Wilson made some nice plays. Credit to Fresno, they just kept coming. Those 6-8 yard pass plays killed us. Not sure how as a coach you just let that happen over and over again.

EDIT: 2nd half tackling - totally sucked. FSU was able to extend drives over and over due to missed tackling.

EDIT: FSU QB - give credit where credit is due. He made throw after throw in tight windows with our d line on top of him.
agree w/ Scourton/Jenkins comment but where is Strickland? I was hoping for him to make a move this year. Only saw 1st half

I expected the Offense to have more movement, throwing, dynamic/energy, and up tempo style. I am baffled, like most of you, at the repeated runs up the middle.

Defense looked good at times and not good other times.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT