ADVERTISEMENT

How Painter stays

I am sure Painter would LOVE to be fired. Someone would pay him a million more to coach their team hours after we fire him. We have 40 years of stability and success and he's going nowhere. He does need to CHANGE though. Agree there.
Not sure who you think will be banging his doors down to hire him. Won’t be a top program, maybe a struggling p5 team, like Wake or Nebraska ( which would be a step down). He’s not getting a Carolina, Duke or UK type job with his March record.

This child is 66 years old, and I’ve been a Purdue fan longer than you probably have been alive. I’ve seen a lot of basketball and I think I know a little about what kind of players it takes, and Painter doesn’t recruit that kind of athlete. Your running out in front of a car shows your immaturity. Wow, I guess people can’t have opinions, only you!
Goooo Murray Malveax

Not sure who you think will be banging his doors down to hire him. Won’t be a top program, maybe a struggling p5 team, like Wake or Nebraska ( which would be a step down). He’s not getting a Carolina, Duke or UK type job with his March record.
A school with big NIL money would love to have him. That’s the first thing coaches ask about in interviews.

I didn’t say the whole team. He was talking about paying players. I was saying they are not being paid.
Everyone is being paid. It’s just a matter of how much, and buying the right ones to not only win in the tourney, but also survive the 20 game B1G rassleball season.

This child is 66 years old, and I’ve been a Purdue fan longer than you probably have been alive. I’ve seen a lot of basketball and I think I know a little about what kind of players it takes, and Painter doesn’t recruit that kind of athlete. Your running out in front of a car shows your immaturity. Wow, I guess people can’t have opinions, only you!
So you would fire Painter and hire Kelvin Sampson or Rick Pitino? And you hope that Purdue loses Colvin and Catchings to speed along Painter's firing? That was the topic, you senile old fart.

BTW, you are one year older than me, dad. Now go change your diaper and soak your teeth for the night. ;)

Everyone is melting down. Painter is likely about as good as it gets for a head coach given what Purdue offers. He is paid less than most of the B1G (see how they did in the tourney recently), less than any of the top 25 programs in the nation (yes we are still one of those), has an administration that doesn't support NIL, and works for an institution that just isn't a destination for top tier talent (nor will we likely ever be).

Fact is he has a tough freaking job, and has done very well at it when you consider the above. I can't think of anyone in the nation that could convince a top athlete to come to a conservative school with 60% men, in West Lafayette, IN, while not paying them squat compared to 20-40 other better locations.

You want to help Purdue be successful, get out your wallet and figure out a way to pay some recruits NIL money like other schools are. Miami Grads publicly bought their team this year. It's full of super athletic players at every position. They weren't good last year, their alumni literally did a publicity stunt about paying Peck $800,000k to transfer along with another few players getting paid in further announcements. I don't like it but this is what the game has become.

As far as choking goes. Making the tourney every year, and the sweet 16 more often than not is actually very good. Most programs don't do that. Yes a FF is long overdue, but we are on that trajectory with improved recruiting and becoming more of a reload team instead of a rebuild team. We are very similar to Nova, Baylor, and Virginia over the last 15 years. All of them were chokers until they weren't. Lightning has to strike to win a chip, and the best way to make sure that happens is to be in the mix every single year. Oh and make sure we have at least one athletic guard and someone that can hit a 3 point shot. (that last one is my biggest gripe about this years team.)

Just curious but why do you think that?
Starts with being competitive year in an year out.
His greatly improved recruiting the past few seasons is a pretty good reason.
Lastly, we fortunately have some intelligent people in charge that grasp where the program is and where it's headed under current leadership.
If you can't see progression at a national level, well...........
then you'll be one of those silly people talking about him getting fired. ;)

Starts with being competitive year in an year out.
His greatly improved recruiting the past few seasons is a pretty good reason.
Lastly, we fortunately have some intelligent people in charge that grasp where the program is and where it's headed under current leadership.
If you can't see progression at a national level, well...........
then you'll be one of those silly people talking about him getting fired. ;)
While I agree with you, why resurrect a thread that was started as an overreaction to the FDU loss? I think that by now, it is obvious to most that Painter’s seat is not the slightest bit hot.

Reactions: Schnelk
Everyone is melting down. Painter is likely about as good as it gets for a head coach given what Purdue offers. He is paid less than most of the B1G (see how they did in the tourney recently), less than any of the top 25 programs in the nation (yes we are still one of those), has an administration that doesn't support NIL, and works for an institution that just isn't a destination for top tier talent (nor will we likely ever be).

Fact is he has a tough freaking job, and has done very well at it when you consider the above. I can't think of anyone in the nation that could convince a top athlete to come to a conservative school with 60% men, in West Lafayette, IN, while not paying them squat compared to 20-40 other better locations.

You want to help Purdue be successful, get out your wallet and figure out a way to pay some recruits NIL money like other schools are. Miami Grads publicly bought their team this year. It's full of super athletic players at every position. They weren't good last year, their alumni literally did a publicity stunt about paying Peck $800,000k to transfer along with another few players getting paid in further announcements. I don't like it but this is what the game has become.

As far as choking goes. Making the tourney every year, and the sweet 16 more often than not is actually very good. Most programs don't do that. Yes a FF is long overdue, but we are on that trajectory with improved recruiting and becoming more of a reload team instead of a rebuild team. We are very similar to Nova, Baylor, and Virginia over the last 15 years. All of them were chokers until they weren't. Lightning has to strike to win a chip, and the best way to make sure that happens is to be in the mix every single year. Oh and make sure we have at least one athletic guard and someone that can hit a 3 point shot. (that last one is my biggest gripe about this years team.)
Great post.

Painter is not a good recruiter. Look at his class rankings.
Bonehead has fallen and hit his head. Either that or Courtsense has hacked his ID. I’m betting on the head injury since Courtsense does not have the interest or intelligence to hack anyone.

:cool:

Bonehead has fallen and hit his head. Either that or Courtsense has hacked his ID. I’m betting on the head injury since Courtsense does not have the interest or intelligence to hack anyone.

:cool:
Prove me wrong

Sometimes I think you just post outrageous shit to just get attention. You have been on a rampage lately and it’s getting old.
Toughen up buttercup. Painter is not considered to be a strong recruiter. He’s average at best. Just live with it.

Toughen up buttercup. Painter is not considered to be a strong recruiter. He’s average at best. Just live with it.
"You" don't consider Painter to be a strong recruiter. I think you presume too much in saying that as a general statement. The coaches he has beaten for players might think otherwise.

"You" don't consider Painter to be a strong recruiter. I think you presume too much in saying that as a general statement. The coaches he has beaten for players might think otherwise.
Going by class rankings, in the last 5 years, ending in '22, the highest ranked Purdue class was 26th. 18-21' were all ranked between 30-55th.
i believe the '23 class is ranked high.
But, from a class ranking perspective, the experts don't think too highly of Painter's recruiting.

Going by class rankings, in the last 5 years, ending in '22, the highest ranked Purdue class was 26th. 18-21' were all ranked between 30-55th.
i believe the '23 class is ranked high.
But, from a class ranking perspective, the experts don't think too highly of Painter's recruiting.
Are you sure you want to rely on class ranking when Jaden was ranked 93rd and Zach ranked in the 300's?

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
well....we certainly can't rely on tourney performance.
Sort of the worst variety of intellectual laziness to reply to every point that doesn't support your narrative with the same response, whether it's relevant or not (it's certainly not here). Why bother having a discussion if that's your approach?

You used recruiting ratings to support your view that Painter isn't a good recruiter knowing that there are a number of cases where he's identified and signed players who were vastly underrated. I actually somewhat agree with you in that I see Painter as just an 'ok' recruiter, but you can make that point while still being intellectually honest in making your argument.

How much longer is that?
If we're being honest around what expectations should be for a program like Purdue it's already occurred.

Three Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight in the last six tournaments far exceeds what anyone outside of Purdue would expect. It's our own fault as fans if our expectations are FF's and better.

Reactions: Cleanface
If we're being honest around what expectations should be for a program like Purdue it's already occurred.

Three Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight in the last six tournaments far exceeds what anyone outside of Purdue would expect. It's our own fault as fans if our expectations are FF's and better.
I disagree.

I think not expecting to lose to double digit seeds three years in a row is a more than fair expectation.

Too many people with settlers mentality/consciousness in this fanbase and in this world.

Reactions: bonefish1

Did Miami and UConn have a bunch of top 10 classes ?

Hmmm…seems all these exceptions are becoming the norm…
Lmao you're ridiculous, dude. Miami and UCONN both had a TON of talent, including dynamic, playmaking guards and wings.

Miami had three dynamic guards -- Wong, Pack, and Miller -- to go with an athletic, undersized big in Omier who perfectly fit its guard-oriented, spread you out approach.

UCONN had six (6) top 70 kids on its roster.

Come on, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
How many top 10 classes ? It’s all about the recruiting rankings.
Nobody said you HAVE to have a top 10 class. Now you're just making things up.

No, it's not ALL about recruiting rankings. We are just saying that they matter.

It's okay to be wrong sometimes, man. Actually, it's a sign of emotional maturity and growth.

It's okay to be wrong sometimes, man. Actually, it's a sign of emotional maturity and growth
Then we’ll all look forward to your emotional maturity and growth when Purdue loses a game next March. Maybe you won’t cry for Painter to be fired again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT