ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Seats

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
Tennessee and Arkansas have to be red hot, Illinois & Missouri warming constantly, Louisville, UCLA and Texas A&M will be a wait and see until the end of the year, Oregon State is open now! Lots of movement ahead when the 2017 season concludes.

There always is. Usually at least 15-20 jobs every year. I wouldn't guess there would be any major openings like last year but still some good jobs. I would hope it won't impact us in any way, but you never know. As I mentioned in another post, Holt will be a hot name, possibly for smaller school HC jobs, but certainly as a DC candidate. You can never say never, but it shouldn't impact us and Brohm. It doesn't mean some school won't come after him, but I don't see it after just one year. It's not about the money for Brohm and he has a great opportunity at Purdue to build a West Division contender here. It won't be as easy in most other places.

Tennessee will lol definitely be open at the end of the year.

No way that team makes a bowl.

Just read that Nebraska just hired Washington States AD as their new AD...is the Pirate soon to follow him to Lincoln?

Reactions: rgarlitz
Just read that Nebraska just hired Washington States AD as their new AD...is the Pirate soon to follow him to Lincoln?

Leach at Nebraska would be crazy, and a complete cultural turn from the good ol' Tom Osborne days!

But I have to say, it would be a hell of a hire for Nebraska.

Leach at Nebraska would be crazy, and a complete cultural turn from the good ol' Tom Osborne days!

But I have to say, it would be a hell of a hire for Nebraska.

College football has changed since the Osborne days, so bringing in another to clone that style off play won’t work....I do agree the Pirate in Lincoln would be a tough fit culturally but if they want to return it will take a modern style coaching hire if not him specifically!

Tennessee and Arkansas have to be red hot, Illinois & Missouri warming constantly, Louisville, UCLA and Texas A&M will be a wait and see until the end of the year, Oregon State is open now! Lots of movement ahead when the 2017 season concludes.
I'm not sure who Missouri can get in there but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dino Babers be the first to be swooped up in talks with Tennessee, UCLA, and Texas A&M.

if Sumlin is let go and for some reason Holt wants another shot as a HC or gets enticed to leave for a bigger DC job...I wouldn't mind seeing Sumlin at Purdue IF he has DC experience. Not sure if he is more of an offensive or defensive guy.

Reactions: dbartn
No way,Frost at UCF will be the next coach.

Certainly has the modern offense going for him along with having Nebraska roots. Could be a little short on the Head Coaching experience side but if UCF wins their conference he certainly could be considered! !

College football has changed since the Osborne days, so bringing in another to clone that style off play won’t work....I do agree the Pirate in Lincoln would be a tough fit culturally but if they want to return it will take a modern style coaching hire if not him specifically!

You can still win playing the ol Nebraska style. We still see it today at other teams.

I'm not sure who Missouri can get in there but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dino Babers be the first to be swooped up in talks with Tennessee, UCLA, and Texas A&M.

if Sumlin is let go and for some reason Holt wants another shot as a HC or gets enticed to leave for a bigger DC job...I wouldn't mind seeing Sumlin at Purdue IF he has DC experience. Not sure if he is more of an offensive or defensive guy.
I kind of hope the Purdue Sumlin ship has sailed.

That seems like an awfully big step down from being head coach at Texas A&M, especially for a guy with a .667 winning percentage.

That seems like an awfully big step down from being head coach at Texas A&M, especially for a guy with a .667 winning percentage.
I guess it depends on the viewpoint of does he take a step down to a G5 HC position where he may be viewed as that being his high point? Or does he take a chance as a DC/OC some where within the P5 with the hopes of attaining success again for another HC job? I think that is what you will see with Kevin Wilson moving to OSU after being fired by Indiana. I'm not sure how he won't be viewed for another HC job but this time at a place with more resources and support.

Nebraska is a dying blueblood that's in denial. Their old booster network will be a shadow of itself in about 10 years, their state has to battle with Iowa, Oklahoma, and Texas for recruits in the surrounding region, and their expectations run ridiculously high for a program that won it's last national title 20 years ago (coincidentally against Tennessee, another team that seems to believe its entitled to win a lot of games and will have a head coach opening this year). Between the two, if I'm say Scott Frost, I'm heading to Knoxville given they currently have a top 10 recruiting class.

I guess it depends on the viewpoint of does he take a step down to a G5 HC position where he may be viewed as that being his high point? Or does he take a chance as a DC/OC some where within the P5 with the hopes of attaining success again for another HC job? I think that is what you will see with Kevin Wilson moving to OSU after being fired by Indiana. I'm not sure how he won't be viewed for another HC job but this time at a place with more resources and support.

I don't doubt that Sumlin could end up as a coordinator, but it will be somewhere higher on the pecking order than Purdue. How often do you see a program where one of the coordinators is a considerably more established coach than the head coach?

I don't think the Wilson analogy is applicable in this case. He was a much less successful head coach than Sumlin and went to direct the offense at a much better program than Purdue.

Kevin Sumlin might well be on the market at the end of the year, but he'll have better options than a coordinator gig at Purdue.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

You can still win playing the ol Nebraska style. We still see it today at other teams.

Win, yes, but hard to make the final four...take a peak at the ol traditional running teams today like Alabama, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Oklahoma’s stats and you will see two about equal in rushing and passing yards and two favoring more passing yards...Pelini won with balance at Neb but could’ve beat the studs in and out of the B1G! If they go back to ol style they will beat the average teams and lose to the studs! It cost the Mad Hatter his job at LSU since their passing attack was a joke with all their line, WR and RB talent!

Nebraska is a dying blueblood that's in denial. Their old booster network will be a shadow of itself in about 10 years, their state has to battle with Iowa, Oklahoma, and Texas for recruits in the surrounding region, and their expectations run ridiculously high for a program that won it's last national title 20 years ago (coincidentally against Tennessee, another team that seems to believe its entitled to win a lot of games and will have a head coach opening this year). Between the two, if I'm say Scott Frost, I'm heading to Knoxville given they currently have a top 10 recruiting class.
Care to guess who the quarterback was on that ‘97 Huskers National title team?

Some UofI co-workers of mine are still drinking the koolaid thinking that Smith will be a good coach. He wasn't for the Bears, and he's proven so far to be equally ineffective at Illinois.

I was very curious at the time of that hire how it was going to work out. Wasn't part of their logic that he was going to unlock Chicago area recruiting?

I was very curious at the time of that hire how it was going to work out. Wasn't part of their logic that he was going to unlock Chicago area recruiting?
Lovie had his time but he seems more and more Hazzell like today and I'm not sure he could unlock his own car without a key fob let alone Chicago.

Nebraska fired a coach whose worst season in seven years was nine wins. That is flat-out nuts.

Yep, you called it. That may well happen in the next six weeks.
If the Nebraska fan base didn't like Pelini, I'm not sure how they would like a New England accented semi-ass as they face of their program. Frost seems like a much safer bet. Especially when you consider Frost is in the Kelly tree and runs the same offensive concepts.

If the Nebraska fan base didn't like Pelini, I'm not sure how they would like a New England accented semi-ass as they face of their program. Frost seems like a much safer bet. Especially when you consider Frost is in the Kelly tree and runs the same offensive concepts.
Frost is Chip Kelley without the arrogance and more personality, IMO.

I kind of hope the Purdue Sumlin ship has sailed.
Agree

Why do you suggest their booster network will decrease?

I do think that it's tough to win long term at Nebraska. Small state, not much talent, etc.

At this point, isn't Nebraska a lot closer to Iowa than a top tier program? I would say Iowa's had more success in the past decade.

Because the number of new boosters usually has a direct correlation to athletic success. So when you look at Nebraska's booster network you have to assume a good portion of them got on board when they won their national championships. That was 20 years ago. If they don't find a way to get back into the national conversation, you'll start to see less and less people putting out money especially with a continuously shrinking middle class. And at Nebraska it's all about football - no one is putting out money because of basketball success. That being said, yes I would say Nebraska is closer to Iowa as a top tier program but regionally speaking they fight for the same recruits so as their national spotlight fades, they will end up on the same level.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT