ADVERTISEMENT

Home Field Advantage with No Fans

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
Has there been any discussion on how the odds makers are factoring in the home field advantage in the age of Covid?

I get that the home team doesn't need to travel and the players are familiar with their stadium and turf, but with no fans is there really a significant advantage to playing at home this year?

My guess is the home field advantage won't be nearly as significant as it has been historically.

It will be interesting to do a study at the end of the year and see how the winning percentage of home teams compares to prior years.

I'd love to get others thoughts.

It's hard to say what the effect is on the lines because every game is different. I work in the sports betting industry now, and I will say that there have been a few lines I've seen that made me wonder which team was at home. For one, Georgia at Alabama last week. Now of course some places do have some fans at least so you're never really going to get an accurate answer across the board. I actually originally expected Iowa to be a heavier favorite tomorrow. There's also been some decent movement during the week too. Minnesota went from -1.5 to +3 since we initially got numbers on B1G games I believe last Thursday.

For what it's worth, my book hasn't moved our line yet with the Rondale news. Been between 2.5 and 3.5 since it opened. +3 currently.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Well in remembrance of Coach Harblow we could refrigerate the visiting locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT