ADVERTISEMENT

He destroyed conservatism

BuilderBob6

All-American
Jan 27, 2007
North Carolina
Read this. Really. I'm reading a couple books on the topic but there are thought provoking points made by Stevens that can't be ignored.

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...-stevens-republican-case-against-trump-397918

A few highlights.

What does the party stand for? Four years ago, 90 percent of Republicans would say personal responsibility, character counts, strong on Russia, fiscal sanity, legal immigration, free trade. But now the party’s 100 percent against all these things. We’re left of Bernie Sanders on trade. We’re way to his left on Russia; Bernie may have honeymooned in Russia, but he didn’t marry Putin. We’re for an imperial presidency. I guess when the next Democratic president does an executive order for a wealth tax, we’ll be OK with it.

Why does the Republican Party exist today? It exists to beat Democrats. That’s not a political party. That’s a cartel. Why do bowling clubs exist? Because you like to go bowling. Fine. Just don’t kid yourself that you’re joining anything to do with principle or purpose. And I don’t think you can undo this stuff. What happened to the party in 1964 with African Americans? You went from 40 percent with Eisenhower to 7 percent with Goldwater and they never came back. Is this going to happen with Hispanics? Goldwater wasn’t out attacking black people; he just wasn’t for the civil rights bill. I wouldn’t call him a bigot. Trump is out there attacking Hispanics. Why did Republicans used to get 70 percent of Asian Americans, now we lose 70 percent? It wasn’t even like we were out attacking Asian-Americans, at least until recently, when Trump had a list of people he hadn’t attacked and he finally got to the Chinese. But they got the message that if you weren’t white, you weren’t welcome in the party.

Right now, are there Republicans out there willing to lose an election to fight for what Republicans say we believe in? Not very many. What conclusion do you come to other than that you never believed this stuff?

So if Trump destroyed conservatism, what did George W do to it?

Trump didn't destroy it. His supporters did. Trump's just a reflection of their ignorance, vitriol, and lack of principle. They only care about winning and beating Democrats.

Trump has no policy for his second term. So at this point, if you're supporting his candidacy you aren't supporting anything but the man and the Hate he represents.

So much winning.

Straight up cartel is right. Just heard about the boycott he's calling for on Goodyear Tire because of their policy to keep political attire from both sides out of the workplace (the company's legal right) because some flakes cried that they can't wear their MAGA while working.

Abusing your power to try and ruin an American-based company.... just another day for Mafia Don.

Straight up cartel is right. Just heard about the boycott he's calling for on Goodyear Tire because of their policy to keep political attire from both sides out of the workplace (the company's legal right) because some flakes cried that they can't wear their MAGA while working.

Abusing your power to try and ruin an American-based company.... just another day for Mafia Don.
Their policy is to keep political attire from both sides out of the workplace? I have some breaking news for you regarding Black Lives Matter (BLM)
Efy-IfJXYAA159Q

LOL. You may want to check the Goodyear policy again. You couldn't be more wrong.

Trump didn't destroy it. His supporters did. Trump's just a reflection of their ignorance, vitriol, and lack of principle. They only care about winning and beating Democrats.

Trump has no policy for his second term. So at this point, if you're supporting his candidacy you aren't supporting anything but the man and the Hate he represents.

So much winning.

Its the Trump supporters who are beating up old women and kicking the crap out of someone wearing a hat they don't like and destroying cities?

Who gives a sh*t about the political slogan part. How can Goodyear be against Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter? Will never purchase another set of Goodyear tires.

While I agree that part they should be consistent about, and I'm sure they will correct it, it doesn't change a POTUS trying to hurt a company because of their intention to keep actual affiliated campaign attire out of the workplace to limit unhealthy discourse during an election.

While I agree that part they should be consistent about, and I'm sure they will correct it, it doesn't change a POTUS trying to hurt a company because of their intention to keep actual affiliated campaign attire out of the workplace to limit unhealthy discourse during an election.

And discourse that could lead to destructive and aggressive behavior. Best to keep all of that out of any working company.

He has every right to try to hurt that company. They are basically campaigning against him by explicitly ruling out his apparel. They could have left it with "No political attire".

I had seen the tweet prior to Trump posting about it. I had already decided I would never be doing business with that company again.

The BLM organization is an extension of the Democrat Party. Go look at where 99% of their donations go to.
It's not an organization, first of all. No elected leaders, no address, phone number, membership dues.

Second, by your logic, the NRA and the Southern Baptist Convention are extensions of the Republican party.

Now you're going to deflect and say those organizations.........and they are ACTUALLY organizations, don't burn and loot and hurt people. That's not what this conversation is about.

Now, you want to keep trying to defend your incorrect argument about political vs civil rights organizations or punt?

He has every right to try to hurt that company. They are basically campaigning against him by explicitly ruling out his apparel. They could have left it with "No political attire".

I had seen the tweet prior to Trump posting about it. I had already decided I would never be doing business with that company again.
You think it's appropriate for the POTUS to promote or attack businesses for the express purpose of affecting their business volume? Are you freaking insane? Do you understand how our system is supposed to work?

They aren't campaigning against him. They made no criticism of him or his actions or statements as president. They can't wear Biden material either. Wtf is wrong with you people?

In addition, how smart is it to tell 60k people in Ohio you want their company to sell less tires?Does he care more about their jobs or their right to wear MAGA hats?

It's not an organization, first of all. No elected leaders, no address, phone number, membership dues.

Second, by your logic, the NRA and the Southern Baptist Convention are extensions of the Republican party.

Now you're going to deflect and say those organizations.........and they are ACTUALLY organizations, don't burn and loot and hurt people. That's not what this conversation is about.

Now, you want to keep trying to defend your incorrect argument about political vs civil rights organizations or punt?
Yes, the NRA is an extension of the Republican party. BLM supporters are largely Democrat. NRA supporters are largely Republican.

The entire point of this thread is that Goodyear thinks BLM is fine even though they are destroying/burning down cities, and they don't think Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, or MAGA are acceptable even though they are doing none of those things.

You think it's appropriate for the POTUS to promote or attack businesses for the express purpose of affecting their business volume? Are you freaking insane? Do you understand how our system is supposed to work?

They aren't campaigning against him. They made no criticism of him or his actions or statements as president. They can't wear Biden material either. Wtf is wrong with you people?

In addition, how smart is it to tell 60k people in Ohio you want their company to sell less tires?Does he care more about their jobs or their right to wear MAGA hats?
So cancel culture is only okay if you are canceling a conservative company/person? Obama singled out companies as well. Were you upset about that?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-shame-on-them-buzzfeed-idUSKBN0LF1FA20150211

Again, my bigger issue is with them allowing BLM which is a proven anarchist group, but not allowing apparel for Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter. They also should have just said no campaign associated attire instead of explicitly calling out MAGA.

I will not be the only person taking my business elsewhere. A company getting involved in politics is completely idiotic. You alienate 50% of the country immediately when you take a political stand like this. They should have kept their mouth shut and stayed in their lane.

I think the Republican Party should cut their losses and either vote for Biden or write in another candidate that they like. Then get a good, decent, real conservative, empathetic candidate to run in 2024. Another 4 years of Agent Orange is dangerous; a security risk. A risk to life and death every time he tweets or speaks in public. Not to mention a racist.

I think the Republican Party should cut their losses and either vote for Biden or write in another candidate that they like. Then get a good, decent, real conservative, empathetic candidate to run in 2024. Another 4 years of Agent Orange is dangerous; a security risk. A risk to life and death every time he tweets or speaks in public. Not to mention a racist.
Lol this is the dumbest post on this entire website. Congrats.

Reactions: mathboy and SKYDOG
So cancel culture is only okay if you are canceling a conservative company/person? Obama singled out companies as well. Were you upset about that?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-shame-on-them-buzzfeed-idUSKBN0LF1FA20150211

Again, my bigger issue is with them allowing BLM which is a proven anarchist group, but not allowing apparel for Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter. They also should have just said no campaign associated attire instead of explicitly calling out MAGA.

I will not be the only person taking my business elsewhere. A company getting involved in politics is completely idiotic. You alienate 50% of the country immediately when you take a political stand like this. They should have kept their mouth shut and stayed in their lane.

Where were you when Trump was supporting Goya foods with their products lined up on his desk in the Oval Office? And Ivanka on a video holding up a can of Goya beans?

Goodyear would disagree with that analysis, and so should you.
Research would disagree with Goodyear's analysis of my analysis. Goodyear is a more expensive option for a worse product.

I drive a British car too if that makes you feel better.

Research would disagree with Goodyear's analysis of my analysis. Goodyear is a more expensive option for a worse product.

I drive a British car too if that makes you feel better.
Research would disagree with Goodyear's analysis of my analysis. Maybe you have a link?

And....MAGA????

lol

You claim to be a Trump supporter? Maybe someone should notify him of people like you?

Are you simply a TRINO?

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
Research would disagree with Goodyear's analysis of my analysis. Maybe you have a link?

And....MAGA????

lol

You claim to be a Trump supporter? Maybe someone should notify him of people like you?

Are you simply a TRINO?
You have to buy all products from America in order to be a Trump supporter? I voted for Trump in 2016, because his political views are most in-line with my own. There was never a chance I would vote for Hillary Clinton. I will vote for Trump in November for the same reasons. Joe Biden, imo, doesn't have the mental capacity to handle the highest stress job in the world. In the next 4 years there will also be at least one Supreme Court justice needing replaced (maybe 2). I will vote for the candidate that will put a justice in place who's views most align with my own.

Reactions: boilerjohn
You have to buy all products from America in order to be a Trump supporter? I voted for Trump in 2016, because his political views are most in-line with my own. There was never a chance I would vote for Hillary Clinton. I will vote for Trump in November for the same reasons. Joe Biden, imo, doesn't have the mental capacity to handle the highest stress job in the world. In the next 4 years there will also be at least one Supreme Court justice needing replaced (maybe 2). I will vote for the candidate that will put a justice in place who's views most align with my own.
Well, at least you admit it. You are voting for SCOTUS positions, because no one can actually believe that Biden has less mental capacity than Trump, as evidenced by Trump's own recent proclamations.

If Trump is re-elected, should the Dems demand that Obama's Merrick Garland nominee be looked at again? He was not given the proper consideration that he was due. Agree?

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT