ADVERTISEMENT

Goodman Lance Jones

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
On Field of 68 Goodman comments at end of Purdue Arizona review...that Lance Jones scares the hell out of him sometimes "as he has never met a shot he didn't like ", Rofl....he does shoot with a confidence, guess that's why that 75 footer went in at Maui. I still feel Jones makes a huge difference and brings an added dimension, just saying

On Field of 68 Goodman comments at end of Purdue Arizona review...that Lance Jones scares the hell out of him sometimes "as he has never met a shot he didn't like ", Rofl....he does shoot with a confidence, guess that's why that 75 footer went in at Maui. I still feel Jones makes a huge difference and brings an added dimension, just saying

Agree.

As far as yesterday, I did feel refing was ok. That said, a couple of those calls on LJ yesterday were bogus.

As far as his shooting, when he gets set and is open his % is acceptable. And I think his shot selection has improved from earlier.

He seems to have held back on the Newton and Vernon trips, which is good. The one tough one, which I can't recall him making any is the one going to his left toward the corner on the run....he has been solid when he gets set from the right wing - that was the one he buried yesterday when Purdue really needed it @ 75-71......gave the Boilers the breathing room they needed to close it out.

Purdue needs his defense and secondary ball-handling - can't afford foul trouble with him......agree that he somewhat had an unlucky whistle, but the officials were calling some of that pretty tight but consistently.

657ef8cb7547d495166561.gif

Last edited:
I agree with Goodman, but I would also say that he’s the player with the mindset to hit the big 3 that breaks the 6 minute field goal drought.

Finished with 9 pts and pretty sure 7 came in the final 2 minutes of the game. That 3 from the wing was huge.

Someone pointed out his enthusiasm after the breakaway bucket with the waving. The joke was they should have panned to the Arizona fans under the basket who were taunting him all game. Pretty sure that’s who he was waving at.

Finished with 9 pts and pretty sure 7 came in the final 2 minutes of the game. That 3 from the wing was huge.

Someone pointed out his enthusiasm after the breakaway bucket with the waving. The joke was they should have panned to the Arizona fans under the basket who were taunting him all game. Pretty sure that’s who he was waving at.
He missed several free throws too, or his stats might’ve looked a lot better.

Agree.

As far as yesterday, I did feel refing was ok. That said, a couple of those calls on LJ yesterday were bogus.

As far as his shooting, when he gets set and is open his % is acceptable. And I think his shot selection has improved from earlier.
Agree, I think that Matt has done a pretty good job of setting expectations on shot selections with Lance, including sitting him at times when he has too quick of a trigger. You can see that he wants to fire most times that he touches the ball and has any space but he's getting better at playing withing the system. The good news is that MP has other options and can sit him down and have a talk with him if he starts to go off the rails. JI may have benefited from similar treatment.

PS - I just listened to the F68 podcast, the 'Jones scares me' comment was a throwaway and I don't think unwarranted. They were very complimentary of Purdue, agreeing that in games where they play their best they're probably not going to get beat, so they were looking for potential chinks in the armor.

Last edited:
think he went 1 - 4 at FT line

2-5, made the final pt on the and-one to finish the game, and he split 1/2 late. That's the one other minor concern down the stretch, as he isn't quite as solid as Smith, Loyer, and Gillis......you live with it for everything else he brings.

Reactions: Schnelk
Agree, I think that Matt has done a pretty good job of setting expectations on shot selections with Lance, including sitting him at times when he has too quick of a trigger. You can see that he wants to fire most times that he touches the ball and has any space but he's getting better at playing withing the system. The good news is that MP has other options and can sit him down and have a talk with him if he starts to go off the rails. JI may have benefited from similar treatment.

PS - I just listened to the F68 podcast, the 'Jones scares me' comment was a throwaway and I don't think unwarranted. They were very complimentary of Purdue, agreeing that in games where they play their best they're probably not going to get beat, so they were looking for potential chinks in the armor.
Wasn't saying g they were being critical just a funny statement

A friend and I were talking that Jones is a key difference between this year and last year. He brings it, along with maturity.

Agreed. I particularly found humor after one call. The AZ guard was doing what the guard from Maryland (can’t think of his name at the moment) used to do where he’d always snap his neck back as if he were in a car crash at the slightest touch. After the whistle, Zach stood in the lane throwing his head back demonstrating the technique to the officials. It was kind of funny.

Agreed. I particularly found humor after one call. The AZ guard was doing what the guard from Maryland (can’t think of his name at the moment) used to do where he’d always snap his neck back as if he were in a car crash at the slightest touch. After the whistle, Zach stood in the lane throwing his head back demonstrating the technique to the officials. It was kind of funny.

Melo Trimble.....the Padawan of D'Angelo Russell who perfected it.

Jones is massive for Purdue. His presence alone, even if he’s not scoring a bunch, makes Smith and Loyer so much better

Jones is massive for Purdue. His presence alone, even if he’s not scoring a bunch, makes Smith and Loyer so much better
another ball handler to help out. A talented driver to relieve ball pressure. A very good defender to slow down and make work the other teams best scorer. And take that job off the other two.
He, and other teams depth have shown me how important it is to have good guard depth these days. You can't have a big drop off or you're going to over use the main guys. Now we don't have that situation, and Fletch and Braden are not freshmen anymore.

Purdue needs more of that “never met a shot he didn’t like” mentality. That’s why Jones is such a good fit, on top of his athleticism and ball-handling. That’s confidence.

Reactions: z_one
Purdue needs more of that “never met a shot he didn’t like” mentality. That’s why Jones is such a good fit, on top of his athleticism and ball-handling. That’s confidence.
Yet he is shooting 33% from 3 on a team that shoots 40%. I love the confidence, but there are times that I think that he could be a bit more selective.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Yet he is shooting 33% from 3 on a team that shoots 40%. I love the confidence, but there are times that I think that he could be a bit more selective.
No doubt. Being selective and feeling like there’s not a shot you can’t hit are not mutually exclusive. Playing with no fear is contagious, and that’s what Jones brings. Something Purdue has lacked in the past, particularly after Carsen left.

No doubt. Being selective and feeling like there’s not a shot you can’t hit are not mutually exclusive. Playing with no fear is contagious, and that’s what Jones brings. Something Purdue has lacked in the past, particularly after Carsen left.
Yep.

I am starting to see some similarities between this team and that 2019 team in terms of how they appear to believe in themselves. Even more so than Jones, I am starting to see that Carsen swagger in Braden.

What was great about the Arizona game is that the guards did a great job of taking the pressure off of Edey to carry the team for this game. Keep that up and Edey will become even more dominant. It’s pretty much the opposite of what happened against FDU.

Speaking of confidence... That between the legs dime that Braden dropped was NASTY. Especially with the game on the line.

Also shows Zach's dexterity and why he is such a unicorn.

One thing I hope we start seeing as the season goes on is having Jones bring the ball up and basically playing Braden as the 2. Let him run around and through screens to wear down his defender. With his midrange jumper and ability to drive, I feel like we could have some potent stuff there. This is what MSU used to do with Cassius Winston.

Reactions: z_one
I disagree with Goodman. Jones never has that "deer in the headlights" look in his eye that many of our players seem to have. He has a killer instinct that I think we lacked and he provides. I think it has infected the team and I see it now in Fletcher and Smith's eyes when they are on the court. You need to shoot without fear. Jones provides that.

There are some shots that Lance puts up that maybe aren’t the best option, but I’d rather have a guy confident enough to shoot and not scared like everyone in the FDU game. That leads to turnovers. At least a miss is a chance for rebounds, put backs, or full resets. Being scared to shoot leads to trying to get rid of it, forced passes and live ball turnovers.

Speaking of confidence... That between the legs dime that Braden dropped was NASTY. Especially with the game on the line.

Also shows Zach's dexterity and why he is such a unicorn.
That was so dope. The crowd was going crazy at the game and when they replayed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT