ADVERTISEMENT

Giving Swanigan his dues.

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Hey. I'm one of the first people on here to be critical of his play throughout the season so I figured it deserves its own thread when he dominates like he did tonight. That second half was the first time this season I really felt like he picked the team up and carried it to a win. I like the fact that we are posting him up. That's where he should have been getting the ball all year. He is capable of handling the ball on the perimeter but is capable of dominating games on the interior.

Anyway, props to Caleb. When we get contributions from players like we got tonight from him, PJ, and Vince in addition to our post players we will be very difficult to beat.

Hey. I'm one of the first people on here to be critical of his play throughout the season so I figured it deserves its own thread when he dominates like he did tonight. That second half was the first time this season I really felt like he picked the team up and carried it to a win. I like the fact that we are posting him up. That's where he should have been getting the ball all year. He is capable of handling the ball on the perimeter but is capable of dominating games on the interior.

Anyway, props to Caleb. When we get contributions from players like we got tonight from him, PJ, and Vince in addition to our post players we will be very difficult to beat.
You're not kidding, he was sensational. I would think he could carry that into the Michigan game (Im assuming wolverines over wildcats) and really start to up his game here late season.

Reactions: DrEss
He is just a beast down low. I like him shooting an initial heat check 3 every game. Maybe 2. After that, eh. But, I REALLY like seeing him work 15 feet and in. He uses his body SO WELL! Even if the guy is the same height, he's damn near unblockable around the hoop and with his strength, he finishes with contact. Such a nice shooting touch!!

Not to mention he's a good passer and you can tell he's really worked on keeping turnovers to a minimum.

He's got a mean streak too, which I think our team needs more of.

Yep...down low should be Swanigan's address...

Reactions: cprh9u
  1. I like the fact that we are posting him up. That's where he should have been getting the ball all year. He is capable of handling the ball on the perimeter but is capable of dominating games on the interior.
That also is a lineup capable of guarding the stretch teams like IU, Iowa, Michigan. Not always with KS at the 5 but only one of KS, AH, or IH in at the same time. It's obviously a good game close out line up. We knew going into the year that lineups would be a challenge to figure out. I think we are seeing it happening.

That also is a lineup capable of guarding the stretch teams like IU, Iowa, Michigan. Not always with KS at the 5 but only one of KS, AH, or IH in at the same time. It's obviously a good game close out line up. We knew going into the year that lineups would be a challenge to figure out. I think we are seeing it happening.
You and I and a few others have been on this page for awhile. It's a tough decision to sit one of your best statistical producers, but down the stretch and against pressure going smaller is our best lineup. And I think it might be the difference in Iowa part III.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Sometimes we arm-chair coaches (I put myself in this category) make an observation and that become sort of an unchanging constant. For example, PJ can’t score, so he lacks this part of the PG game; Swanigan should never shoot form 3-pt range, etc.

Each of these kids, and the coach too, are evolving and working on various facets of their game. They are getting better at many weaknesses they had early on in the season. I think the game before this, someone noted the best stat was zero 3-pt attempts by Swanigan, which I sort of agreed with. Now I see that might be a mistake on my part. That kid can shoot! He just needed to work out the kinks in a real game situation.

I am pretty sure that Swanigan’s shooting was part of the game plan too. Painter ran him up there with Wisconsin doubling the post against AJ. He made they pay for slacking off our 4. Nice game overall.

Sometimes we arm-chair coaches (I put myself in this category) make an observation and that become sort of an unchanging constant. For example, PJ can’t score, so he lacks this part of the PG game; Swanigan should never shoot form 3-pt range, etc.

Each of these kids, and the coach too, are evolving and working on various facets of their game. They are getting better at many weaknesses they had early on in the season. I think the game before this, someone noted the best stat was zero 3-pt attempts by Swanigan, which I sort of agreed with. Now I see that might be a mistake on my part. That kid can shoot! He just needed to work out the kinks in a real game situation.

I am pretty sure that Swanigan’s shooting was part of the game plan too. Painter ran him up there with Wisconsin doubling the post against AJ. He made they pay for slacking off our 4. Nice game overall.
Yep I was in the same boat with Swanigan but he CAN shoot. Having that ability will stretch the defense one would think next year which frees up Haas.

He really has turned it around lately.

Remember as he continues to improve. He should be playing in a HS tourney this year and not dominating a B1G opponent.

Not sure I saw a whole lot different with biggie other than not dribbling into traffic and turning it over as much as well as less perimeter shots. He still floats out, but is not shooting it as much. he still posts, and can bully a smaller player that he can hold off that isn't perhaps a great athlete. IMO, he is shooting less perimeter shots and turning it over less and keeping it more simple...AND THAT has made Purdue better. biggie has grown and learned over the season...

Reactions: cprh9u
One of the reasons Biggie was so effective at the end of the game is that Hammons and Hass were both on the bench, so we were spreading the court with Edwards, Davis, PJ, Hill, Mathias, etc. Without another big down low it gives him more room in which to operate and makes it harder to double team him. I don't know how much Biggie wants to play in that scheme, but I wouldn't mind seeing it next year against more athletic teams.

Hopefully, what we saw last night is a sign of what we will see in the future for Swanigan. Great game last night. I also liked how Painter stayed with him and the line-up that was working against Bucky last night instead of substituting and breaking up the flow of the game.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DrEss
I guess my read on the situation is that he has learned how to operate more effectively with his skill set within the framework of this team. I don't think his skills have drastically changed from the start of the year. We still don't want him shooting a high volume of outside shots I don't think. Yes, he CAN knock them down just like he did against Butler early in the year but he doesn't in more games than he does. In terms of percentages though, it is not something that we should be settling for early in our offense. If we are at 12 seconds or less on the shot clock, I am ok with him shooting an open 15+ foot jumper. If we have more time left than that, I'd move the ball and look for something better.

When we can get him one-on-one in the post, that's where he's starting to show he can be worthy of being a top option in our offense. Last night he was a favorable matchup for us with the way Wisconsin was focused on Hammons and Haas in the post. It's hard for another team to take away everything and last night Swanigan, PJ, and Vince really stepped up. Few teams can match up with us in the halfcourt when we are clicking like that.

Reactions: tjreese
One of the reasons Biggie was so effective at the end of the game is that Hammons and Hass were both on the bench, so we were spreading the court with Edwards, Davis, PJ, Hill, Mathias, etc. Without another big down low it gives him more room in which to operate and makes it harder to double team him. I don't know how much Biggie wants to play in that scheme, but I wouldn't mind seeing it next year against more athletic teams.
no question he had more room, but Davis and Hill do not spread the court generally. Biggie is a rather smart player for his youth and has cut down his perimeter shooting and turnovers that helps him. Biggie was allowed more physical play backing in that some game and that helps him as well

I felt like they started looking for him in the post even before they went small.

no question he had more room, but Davis and Hill do not spread the court generally. Biggie is a rather smart player for his youth and has cut down his perimeter shooting and turnovers that helps him. Biggie was allowed more physical play backing in that some game and that helps him as well

Oh, that wasn't a knock on Swanigan in any way, and he was huge yesterday. I also agree with your assessment of his progression. I was just commenting that if two bigs are down low, it can get congested, and once AJ picked up his 4th foul, I thought Painter made a nice adjustment of allowing Biggie to operate with more space.

I think Biggie will be hitting the weights hard this year, converting a little more of that baby fat into muscle (like Haas did), work on his ball handling and mid-range game, he's going to be an All-Big 10 player possibly.
He's the next Drammond Green.

I think Biggie will be hitting the weights hard this year, converting a little more of that baby fat into muscle (like Haas did), work on his ball handling and mid-range game, he's going to be an All-Big 10 player possibly.
He's the next Drammond Green.
Whoah, I like Biggie but let's not put him at Draymond Green's level yet. Green didn't even hit his full potential in college.

So if he keeps playing like this, what are the chances he leaves for the NBA after this year?

He has so much to work on his game and conditioning before he would even be considered for the NBA. None of the mock drafts even have him listed. I look for great things from him next season at PU.

SIAP above, but I think maybe Caleb took it to heart all the FOY chatter going on for Wisky's Happ. Happ is very good, but Biggie definitely took it to him in the 2nd half yesterday. I'll take Purdue's freshman in that matchup. Great game last night Boilers!!

He has so much to work on his game and conditioning before he would even be considered for the NBA. None of the mock drafts even have him listed. I look for great things from him next season at PU.
Agree. I can't see him leaving now when he stands to make a bigger leap next season.

But, you never know. So instead of zero... lets say .00000001%

I'll say about Swanigan what I say about everyone when it comes to going pro. If you are safely projected as a first round pick, you should go. If not, you should probably stay and get better unless you are perfectly content on playing overseas and not worried at all bout having a degree.

Biggie freshman of the week in the B1G for a league leading third time.

Happ will win it but head to head in the second half last night, Biggie looked good against him in the post. Albeit Happ had just logged serious minutes against AJ and Haas. But that performance makes me wonder how good he could have been had he played the 5 all season like the other candidates did?

I like how Biggie has cleaned up the turnovers and while increasing his production. He truly can be an X factor for us in the upcoming tourneys.

You and I and a few others have been on this page for awhile. It's a tough decision to sit one of your best statistical producers, but down the stretch and against pressure going smaller is our best lineup. And I think it might be the difference in Iowa part III.
Yes we have. It's nice to luck into being right once in a while. I'm still not sure we have a good press offense but it does seem to be better with this lineup. I like the way Painter has shown both lineup types within the same game. That will be very hard to prepare for in a quick turn around tournament setting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT