ADVERTISEMENT

Get out the checkbook.....again.

I will just add while Brohm is only currently the 31st highest paid head coach, there is not much that separates him from 31 and 15. I'm confident within 5 years, Brohm will be become one of the top 15 paid coaches. and once a coach makes $4 million, there tend to be other factors other than money if a coach stays or leaves. I doubt either Urban Meyer or Saban are going to leave their current jobs just for more money. I highly doubt brohm would either.
one example is Louisville. if that's Brohm's dream job, Purdue could offer him $10 million, and he'd still leave for his dream job. there is no amount of money that would stand between him and his dream. he may even take less money. is that job going to be open anytime soon? Who knows?

Brohm is more likely to demand more money for his assistants than himself. brohm is more likely to ask for increases in recruiting expenses, or improved facilities. Although I doubt he asks for air conditioning in the visitor's locker room. or quicker and better hospital care/facilities.

the guy to worry about is not Brohm. the people to worry about are his assistants. they have made a huge difference in recruiting, player development, training, game prep, and game execution. I could see several leaving to become offensive or defensive coordinators and maybe in the pros. I'm starting to like the Purdue assistant coaches as much as Brohm. Brohm's success is a team effort.

All valid points that I agree with.
I think MBob and the admin now understand that you have to make major investments in the program, coaches, facilities, etc in order to achieve the desired (financial) outcomes through winning and selling seats. Part of that commitment will likely be to continually renegotiate contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT