ADVERTISEMENT

Get out the checkbook.....again.

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I realize that season #2 of the Brohm era hasn't even started and much of this is just based off recent recruiting excitement, but MBob is going to have to renegotiate Brohm's contract again sooner rather than later.
If PU is competitive in most games and puts up big offensive numbers, several teams will come after him this year with lots of 0's behind their offer number.
Some on here want to believe that Brohm will stay because he and his family like PU, like WL, etc, but when a big time program offers $2-3 mil more than you're currently making, well....money talks.

I realize that season #2 of the Brohm era hasn't even started and much of this is just based off recent recruiting excitement, but MBob is going to have to renegotiate Brohm's contract again sooner rather than later.
If PU is competitive in most games and puts up big offensive numbers, several teams will come after him this year with lots of 0's behind their offer number.
Some on here want to believe that Brohm will stay because he and his family like PU, like WL, etc, but when a big time program offers $2-3 mil more than you're currently making, well....money talks.
Nice job of bringing up this topic right in the middle of the recruiting season for all to see. I swear some Purdue fans can't stand success. Keep the positive vibes going!

Totally unnecessary take. Brohm has an excellent situation at Purdue and he knows it. As he wins at the level we all believe he will at Purdue (which is a high level), Mike Bobinski and the BoT will give Brohm and staff no reason to want to leave. His contract is already very competitive, especially with incentives. He doesn’t strike me as being the kind of coach to want to job hop, either.

Nice job of bringing up this topic right in the middle of the recruiting season for all to see. I swear some Purdue fans can't stand success. Keep the positive vibes going!

The sky is blue, the earth is round and water is wet.
Sorry for stating the obvious.
Try to give our recruits a little credit for researching one of the most important decisions of their life. If you don't think every recruit knows the situation, then you are incredibly naive.

Totally unnecessary take. Brohm has an excellent situation at Purdue and he knows it. As he wins at the level we all believe he will at Purdue (which is a high level), Mike Bobinski and the BoT will give Brohm and staff no reason to want to leave. His contract is already very competitive, especially with incentives. He doesn’t strike me as being the kind of coach to want to job hop, either.

If I'm not mistaken, Brohm's total package is middle of the pack for B10.
No coach strikes anybody as someone willing to job hop (ok, except for Lane Kiffin) but money is a powerful motivator.

Why is this even being brought up? I'm sure if any coach was offered $5 million a year, they'd jump at the opportunity. Contrary to popular belief, there are other coaches out there that are also willing to take those jobs.

The sky is blue, the earth is round and water is wet.
Sorry for stating the obvious.
Try to give our recruits a little credit for researching one of the most important decisions of their life. If you don't think every recruit knows the situation, then you are incredibly naive.
We are right in the middle of the recruiting season and you think now is the perfect time to post this? Time and place for everything. This is neither.

It’s all about putting butt’s in the seats. We will find out rather quickly if Purdue is a football school or not by the number of tickets sold. If we consistently sell out Ross-Ade I think Purdue will be able to pay him top $.

It’s all about putting butt’s in the seats. We will find out rather quickly if Purdue is a football school or not by the number of tickets sold. If we consistently sell out Ross-Ade I think Purdue will be able to pay him top $.
I was going to reply with something similar. I think Brohm continues to have steady success. I think that success leads to more and more fans coming out to the games and more and more revenue coming in, which leads to pay raises, which leads to coaches staying, which leads to recruits noticing and believing and committing. Sorry for what is probably a run on sentence. The only school I am worried about, if they come after Brohm that is, is UofL. A buddy of mine who is an alum of UofL said no way Petrino is going anywhere soon so I have nothing to worry about. I am content to believe that Brohm is here to not only turn this ship around, but to stay the course until we reach our destination.

Soooooo. Who's job is he now rumored to take? OSU? Michigan? Alabama? In order to jump to another school and take more money, the last time I looked, there has to be an opening. And how many openings currently exist that are open? zero! And how many coaching vacancies will there be that will offer Brohm more than he is currently making? The answer is unknown. How about coming back when a real situation occurs rather than trying to create a stupid rumor.

The likelihood of Brohm leaving is about the same as the olympics adding bowling. It could happen. But it's not happening now.

This is ridiculous, and border-line fear mongering. Purdue has never allowed a coach to walk due to money in decades if ever. They did what it took to keep Tiller (I believe Notre Dame went after him twice) and kept Painter when Mizzou went after him. Daniels and the board will step in if necessary like they did with Painter. Some coaches will chase the big pay check but all indications are that Brohm is not that guy and Purdue will do what it takes to keep him, which is probably going to be more focused on the assistants like with Painter. The only school I would be worried about is Louisville and there is nothing we can do about that.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
Purdue will likely have to continue to give Brohm and his assistants raises to keep them as coaches as long as the amount of money generated by CFB continues to rise.

Thanks for pointing out sky is blue and water is wet. Someone who knew that should also know my above paragraph.

Soooooo. Who's job is he now rumored to take? OSU? Michigan? Alabama? In order to jump to another school and take more money, the last time I looked, there has to be an opening. And how many openings currently exist that are open? zero! And how many coaching vacancies will there be that will offer Brohm more than he is currently making? The answer is unknown. How about coming back when a real situation occurs rather than trying to create a stupid rumor.

The likelihood of Brohm leaving is about the same as the olympics adding bowling. It could happen. But it's not happening now.

Not starting a rumor. More like just stating the obvious. Right now there might not be open big time positions but who knows what will happen in Jan/Feb.
We all know JB flirted with TN, which is a dumpster fire and he knows it, but again, money is a powerful motivator. The point being, if JB continues to be successful at PU, PU is going to have to act like a big time football program to keep him. By the way, I'm all for it. If MBob has to pay him $6mil a year, fine with me, as long as the program is growing and that's what keeps JB here.
I think Mbob and Pres MD would be wise to try and get PU back to being known as "The Cradle of QBs". It's good marketing and really the only thing PU football is known for.

Not starting a rumor. More like just stating the obvious. Right now there might not be open big time positions but who knows what will happen in Jan/Feb.
We all know JB flirted with TN, which is a dumpster fire and he knows it, but again, money is a powerful motivator. The point being, if JB continues to be successful at PU, PU is going to have to act like a big time football program to keep him. By the way, I'm all for it. If MBob has to pay him $6mil a year, fine with me, as long as the program is growing and that's what keeps JB here.
I think Mbob and Pres MD would be wise to try and get PU back to being known as "The Cradle of QBs". It's good marketing and really the only thing PU football is known for.

on the other hand, I think I'll post today that Alabama and OSU are in a very good position today to be selected for the championship series. it makes just as much sense and is even more obvious.

if brohm puts forth another great season, his name will be in all the coaching rumors. 95% of those rumors have no basis, it's just sports journalists speculating and meeting their deadline with a made up story. Last year we saw Brohm's name mentioned for at least 10 different possible new jobs. I suspect as long as he is young and also winning, his name will be mentioned every year.

According to the rumors, the magic are 100&% going to hire Izzo.

and the packers are going to fire McCarthy if he doesn't win the Super bowl. Maybe brohm will be the next packers coach. Brian Brohm was drafted by them. So let's start a rumor Brohm will be the packers' next head coach. it's logical. he and Rogers will get along. the Packers and Purdue have a long history.

Maybe the bears will sign brohm. or possibly the Vikings! or Toronto. I could really see brohm taking that next step coaching an CFL team.

I can also see Brohm being fired after going 8-4 and being replaced by Les Miles. or how about a coaching swap with Northwestern? or IU? or ND ? then brohm wouldn't have to move. he could just commute every day.

stating the obvious …….. The Washington DC zoo no longer has panda bears. I know people will be heartbroken to learn this, but it's true.

what does this have to do with brohm leaving or Purdue ?

well it's an obvious fact and makes as much sense. I feel people need to know this vital information for planning their next trip to Washington DC.

and the first pick in the NBA draft will not be me.

and sometimes the sky is grey and the grass is brown.

green eggs and ham do actually exist both in your mind and also if you leave the eggs in your garage for over a month.

With incentives, Brohm made $3.8mil last year. I think his base is that now...obviously with room to grow because of those incentives.

I think Tennessee was only paying Butch Jones around that. I think the "negotiations" fell apart because they weren't really willing to make it worth his while to leave. They could have....but couldn't we have as well? What were they going to pay him? 5mil? you;re telling me we couldn't/wouldn't match? Would you rather play in the SEC East or the BIG West? I know if im trying to keep my job id love to stick around in the BIG WEST. Tennessee is kind of becoming a has been. Big stadium...but they can't sell it out anymore.

At this point, I only really worry about a true blue blood, or Louisville poaching him. He's 2-3 years of sustained success away from a blue blood being interested.

I think that Louisville is our biggest threat but if the crap keeps swirling down there with the corrupt AD we might be fine.

He was # 31 in the country BEFORE receiving a $500K raise and a two year extension.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $7,004,000 (3rd nationally)
  • Urban Meyer, Ohio State: $6,431,240 (4th)
  • James Franklin, Penn State: $4,600,000 (12th)
  • Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: $4,550,000 (13th)
  • Mark Dantonio, Michigan State: $4,390,492 (16th)
  • P.J. Fleck, Minnesota: $3,500,000 (29th)
  • Jeff Brohm, Purdue: $3,333,333 (31st)
  • Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern: $3,305,818 (32nd)
  • Paul Chryst, Wisconsin: $3,200,000 (36th)
  • Lovie Smith, Illinois: $3,000,000 (39th)
  • Mike Riley, Nebraska: $2,900,000 (41st)
  • DJ Durkin, Maryland: $2,462,000 (47th)
  • Chris Ash, Rutgers: $2,100,000 (54th)
  • Tom Allen, Indiana: $1,830,000 (60th)
As I said, middle of the pack for the B10. Is that enough to keep him around? Will the BOD or whoever approves coaches pay, bump that up into the top 3 if necessary? Who knows what the number is to keep him, but I'm sure it's already being discussed.

sorry snowflake. Just because you don't like it or want to hear about it doesn't mean it's not important.

One year with a Power5 and a 7-6 record and now makes $3.8M guaranteed with bonus potential of $1.2 Million. Two years ago today he made $800K. He’s doing fine and knows it and has three of the best bosses in the country in Mitch and the two Mikes.

Last edited:
sorry snowflake. Just because you don't like it or want to hear about it doesn't mean it's not important.

Its a thread you started making statements that were already obvious and known to people on this board. It is a rather pointless thread.

Yes if Brohm succeeds at Purdue his salary will have to increase to retain him. We most likely can't pay him Alabama or OSU money, but we should be able to be competitive with with all but maybe 8 programs, salary-wise.

You knew that when you started the thread. You should have known that's what most people here already know as well. But because we don't care to talk about the obvious we are snowflakes? Please lock this thread.

Its a thread you started making statements that were already obvious and known to people on this board. It is a rather pointless thread.

Yes if Brohm succeeds at Purdue his salary will have to increase to retain him. We most likely can't pay him Alabama or OSU money, but we should be able to be competitive with with all but maybe 8 programs, salary-wise.

You knew that when you started the thread. You should have known that's what most people here already know as well. But because we don't care to talk about the obvious we are snowflakes? Please lock this thread.

The reason I brought it up was because I was curious on the debate whether people think PU will pay Brohm what is needed to keep him? What's the limit on that number and how do you justify that limit? Does increased revenue from the various sources that come along with winning make a $5-6 mil salary doable or will there be a number PU isn't willing to match?
This is different than the Joe Tiller situation where Tiller was on retirement watch whereas Brohm is entering his coaching prime.

Why would you lock the thread? What are you afraid of?

as I said earlier, to leave, there must also be a destination. While brohm may be only the 7th highest paid coach in the BIG 10, I don't see any of those higher paid coaches leaving their jobs any time soon. and financially, after taxes, there's not really that much difference in what Brohm is being paid and what franklin is being paid at penn st. And Franklin is the 12th highest paid coach. I suspect if brohm does well, he'll start seeing a 44 million paycheck from Purdue as well.

I have already explained why it should be locked, you come across simply as trolling by stating the obvious and then arguing about it.
Ok, so enlighten me as to how high do you think PU would be willing to go to keep Brohm assuming big time programs start sniffing around. Also, if you can do so, make an argument supporting your position.

Ok, so enlighten me as to how high do you think PU would be willing to go to keep Brohm assuming big time programs start sniffing around. Also, if you can do so, make an argument supporting your position.

They have already gone far enough to show their high regard for him. This discussion is OVER!

One year with a Power5 and a 7-6 record and now makes $3.8M guaranteed with bonus potential of $1.2 Million. Two years ago today he made $800K. He’s doing fine and knows it and has three of the best bosses in the country in Mitch and the two Mikes.
You are discrediting yourself with facts! This is the best point made here IMO. Brohm has already been rewarded with an increase after one "successful" season. I use parenthesis as the bar was set sooo low with Hazell. Let's keep the momentum going and I'm sure the administration will reward him as they have already demonstrated their willingness to do so....

However, I do agree that this is somewhat a ridiculous post based on hypotheticals and stokes fear mongering rather than focusing on positives.

Now that the AD isn’t funneling money to side projects, that should free up a decent amount of money to retain Brohm if money is his only interest. By all looks of Brohm, there is more than that to the man. The only place I honestly worry about is Louisville and possibly a place like UM, Florida, or even Texas A&M if Fisher doesn’t work out.

phpdlub3k17-reasons-zack-morris-from-saved-by-the-bell-is--2-22224-1409413763-4_dblbig.jpg

Brian Neubert:

Seems to like it here and seems like a great fit for the community. I've never seen a coach at Purdue who actually participates in the community more. Doesn't mean he's gonna retire here, but also doesn't suggest he has one foot out the door.

Once you have had a Triple XXX breakfast, it really impacts the list of pros/cons in favour of Tippecanoe County!

I will just add while Brohm is only currently the 31st highest paid head coach, there is not much that separates him from 31 and 15. I'm confident within 5 years, Brohm will be become one of the top 15 paid coaches. and once a coach makes $4 million, there tend to be other factors other than money if a coach stays or leaves. I doubt either Urban Meyer or Saban are going to leave their current jobs just for more money. I highly doubt brohm would either.
one example is Louisville. if that's Brohm's dream job, Purdue could offer him $10 million, and he'd still leave for his dream job. there is no amount of money that would stand between him and his dream. he may even take less money. is that job going to be open anytime soon? Who knows?

Brohm is more likely to demand more money for his assistants than himself. brohm is more likely to ask for increases in recruiting expenses, or improved facilities. Although I doubt he asks for air conditioning in the visitor's locker room. or quicker and better hospital care/facilities.

the guy to worry about is not Brohm. the people to worry about are his assistants. they have made a huge difference in recruiting, player development, training, game prep, and game execution. I could see several leaving to become offensive or defensive coordinators and maybe in the pros. I'm starting to like the Purdue assistant coaches as much as Brohm. Brohm's success is a team effort.

Reactions: Nukeboiler
I will just add while Brohm is only currently the 31st highest paid head coach, there is not much that separates him from 31 and 15. I'm confident within 5 years, Brohm will be become one of the top 15 paid coaches. and once a coach makes $4 million, there tend to be other factors other than money if a coach stays or leaves. I doubt either Urban Meyer or Saban are going to leave their current jobs just for more money. I highly doubt brohm would either.
one example is Louisville. if that's Brohm's dream job, Purdue could offer him $10 million, and he'd still leave for his dream job. there is no amount of money that would stand between him and his dream. he may even take less money. is that job going to be open anytime soon? Who knows?

Brohm is more likely to demand more money for his assistants than himself. brohm is more likely to ask for increases in recruiting expenses, or improved facilities. Although I doubt he asks for air conditioning in the visitor's locker room. or quicker and better hospital care/facilities.

the guy to worry about is not Brohm. the people to worry about are his assistants. they have made a huge difference in recruiting, player development, training, game prep, and game execution. I could see several leaving to become offensive or defensive coordinators and maybe in the pros. I'm starting to like the Purdue assistant coaches as much as Brohm. Brohm's success is a team effort.

He was ranked 31st before the $500K increase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT