ADVERTISEMENT

From a Baylor Fan

spinka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
you guys should hire briles tomorrow. He was a scapegoat and is truly one of the best coaches in college football. It never happens that this opportunity arises. Someone else will hire him if you don't. Don't be the schools that wished they would have hired Petrino and be the school that hires briles. You will be glad you did.

you guys should hire briles tomorrow. He was a scapegoat and is truly one of the best coaches in college football. It never happens that this opportunity arises. Someone else will hire him if you don't. Don't be the schools that wished they would have hired Petrino and be the school that hires briles. You will be glad you did.
I mentioned this earlier and here is why WE are right.

Look Purdue fans...the media storm will blow over in a month. Media just pumps out controversy for sales. Briles is not some evil guy and his mistakes are relatively mild. He has apologized.

I am a UM fan...and wouldn't want to see Briles at PSU. Think they wouldn't hire him? This would be a no brainer hire plus he can sell the Purdue qb history. It's a good fit.

A Kentucky fan said this on their board a few weeks ago. He was bemoaning the fact that Louisville went out and hired Petrino and wished UK had just bitten the bullet. Anyone care about Petrino and his past?

Nobody will give a rats behind about Briles after a few days. You want to win or get a medal from the National Organization of Women and ESPN?

RM

I'd be open to considering him but I'd have to be sure that his role in the Baylor mess was that of a scapegoat. I honestly haven't followed it closely enough to have a good understanding of it.

I'd be open to considering him but I'd have to be sure that his role in the Baylor mess was that of a scapegoat. I honestly haven't followed it closely enough to have a good understanding of it.
This. Hopefully MBob does his due diligence on Briles.

Look Purdue fans...the media storm will blow over in a month. Media just pumps out controversy for sales. Briles is not some evil guy and his mistakes are relatively mild. He has apologized.

I am a UM fan...and wouldn't want to see Briles at PSU. Think they wouldn't hire him? This would be a no brainer hire plus he can sell the Purdue qb history. It's a good fit.

A Kentucky fan said this on their board a few weeks ago. He was bemoaning the fact that Louisville went out and hired Petrino and wished UK had just bitten the bullet. Anyone care about Petrino and his past?

Nobody will give a rats behind about Briles after a few days. You want to win or get a medal from the National Organization of Women and ESPN?

RM
Hey stupid it`s P.U. not P.SU.:eek:

Crazy world we live in. A rapist or murderer can lead a country, but misconduct on a roster of 85 players.. don't give that coach a second chance.
I would have zero concerns with this hire. And yes, I take rape seriously. But the atmosphere of compliance at Purdue is nothing like the free for all situation at was going on at Baylor.
The problem is the negative publicity this could ignite. And I doubt our leadership would take the risk to the University's reputation.

Crazy world we live in. A rapist or murderer can lead a country, but misconduct on a roster of 85 players.. don't give that coach a second chance.
I would have zero concerns with this hire. And yes, I take rape seriously. But the atmosphere of compliance at Purdue is nothing like the free for all situation at was going on at Baylor.
The problem is the negative publicity this could ignite. And I doubt our leadership would take the risk to the University's reputation.
I think some of it is the reluctance after coaching scandals at PSU and Rutgers over the last few years when it comes to similar situations that may have made B1G fans and AD's reluctant to take a chance on a coach like Briles.

I am still in the camp that believes things were being withheld from his knowledge by admins...this was supported (IMO) by Baylor's Title IX adviser stepping down because she wasn't being allowed to do her job.

Posted this before,
But never found or received confirmation/ clarification.....

one article says Ukwuachu was in good standing at boise st when transferring, and another quotes petersen saying he was dismissed. is that just a semantics game (dismissed from the team, but not the university)?

i also wonder what muschamp/florida knew that briles/baylor apparently did not?
as florida stated they had interest in ukwuachu as a transfer, but then backed off after learning of his past/character/etc.

it all still does not seem to add up to me...
1. even more so now that briles has recently decided to apologize and admit to mistakes (where before he claimed zero role/responsibility).
2. it's more than just Ukwuachu. there were other players and incidents before this happened.

Reactions: Boilerkid18

RM
We are not Kentucky or Louisville, who put their ethics in second place to get a couple of wins

Reactions: Cleanface
I really think Briles would be a good hire for us. He was mostly a scapegoat for what was happening @ Baylor. I don't know how much he was actually complicit in there. Sounds like a lot of cover up from the top that he was forced to go with....or lose his job.

When he sued, Baylor quickly settled and for big $$$$....they didn't want any pre-trial fact finding going on.

I feel like Purdue would be the perfect environment to get him his 2nd shot. Good QB already on the roster. AD and administration overall that doesn't stand for the corruption that went on at his last stop. We hire him with a VERY restrictive contract with moral clauses up and down. I think that would fix that pretty quick.

Reactions: Boiler1313

I have to agree there. Although I am very far removed these days from the University and the inner workings and make-up of the Board of Trustees, I just don't see anything that suggests the BOT (at least a majority) would seriously consider or has seriously considered Briles.

On purely football considerations/results (which is an unrealistic approach admittedly), Briles would help Purdue IMO.

1. IF hired, wouldn't his recruiting be much more difficult?
Not only would he be out of Texas for the first time,
Seems like any potential recruit or transfer would receive fbi-like vetting to ensure their backgrounds etc (more so than elsewhere)

2. Age
Is two years that much better vs miles age? (Soon to be 61 vs 63)

1. IF hired, wouldn't his recruiting be much more difficult?
Not only would he be out of Texas for the first time,
Seems like any potential recruit or transfer would receive fbi-like vetting to ensure their backgrounds etc (more so than elsewhere)

2. Age
Is two years that much better vs miles age? (Soon to be 61 vs 63)

Regarding your second point, I don't think age is the main detriment with Miles at least in my mind. It's certainly not a plus but what you have with Briles is a good/great offensive mind whereas Miles not so much. Willing to look past age with Briles (again pending all the scandal stuff checks out) more than Miles.

Reactions: 1869er
Regarding your second point, I don't think age is the main detriment with Miles at least in my mind. It's certainly not a plus but what you have with Briles is a good/great offensive mind whereas Miles not so much. Willing to look past age with Briles (again pending all the scandal stuff checks out) more than Miles.

Briles also brings his son with him who is as up and coming of an OC in this country that exists. Art Briles is a rainmaker. Again someone is going to take a chance with the media/pr thing and like Lousiville is glad they did whatever school does that will be glad they did.

Reactions: tyson8760
I know Purdue is all about being a class act and academics but it's to the point where that comes after you get the program back on its feet and hire a coach. Don't get me wrong I like having classy kids with academic ability but tired of watching this program turn into a shit show. I'd love to have Briles but to many people around Purdue judge on the past and settle for average.

Briles also brings his son with him who is as up and coming of an OC in this country that exists. Art Briles is a rainmaker. Again someone is going to take a chance with the media/pr thing and like Lousiville is glad they did whatever school does that will be glad they did.

Even given what Petrino is doing at Louisville now I still wouldn't want him to be the coach at Purdue. That guy is just scum. I'm not prepared to say the same thing about Briles (or rule it out for that matter) based on what I know at this time.

I know Purdue is all about being a class act and academics but it's to the point where that comes after you get the program back on its feet and hire a coach. Don't get me wrong I like having classy kids with academic ability but tired of watching this program turn into a shit show. I'd love to have Briles but to many people around Purdue judge on the past and settle for average.

If the choice is between average football and bad character I don't disagree with choosing average football. Nothing says you can't win with good people though so we need to aim for both.

Not very many people want to spend $50 or $100 to come out and watch a bunch of smart and nice kids get their butts kicked on a weekly basis.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't hire art Briles, but we need to do our homework and not dismiss him out of hand. In my opinion, he's a can't miss hire, and there aren't very many of those who would be willing to come to Purdue at this point.

Hey stupid it`s P.U. not P.SU.:eek:
Hey Dipstick. I referenced PSU that I wouldn't want to see him at PSU because they are in the East and a rival whereas with Purdue being in the West division I could 'tolerate' a great coach.

See the following...notice anything? Like THEY?

I am a UM fan...and wouldn't want to see Briles at PSU. Think they wouldn't hire him?

Read.

Not very many people want to spend $50 or $100 to come out and watch a bunch of smart and nice kids get their butts kicked on a weekly basis.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't hire art Briles, but we need to do our homework and not dismiss him out of hand. In my opinion, he's a can't miss hire, and there aren't very many of those who would be willing to come to Purdue at this point.
I'm 100% in on Briles or any coach like him, people make mistakes...they derserve a 2nd chance. Are we willing to sit here and wait for another classy hire (Hazell) or take a risk and hire someone that's gonna get it done on the field. If he messes up boot'em but at least take a chance cause we need all the help we can get. Us fans are tired of watching this program go down hill!!! It's time for a change, Big Time!

Hey Dipstick. I referenced PSU that I wouldn't want to see him at PSU because they are in the East and a rival whereas with Purdue being in the West division I could 'tolerate' a great coach.

See the following...notice anything? Like THEY?

I am a UM fan...and wouldn't want to see Briles at PSU. Think they wouldn't hire him?

Read.

I knew what you meant in your initial post, but are you saying PSU would?? Bc no, I don't think PSU would hire him. They wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole. Not with them still trying to come out of the Sandusky black cloud. No friggin way.

I'd love to see Briles at Purdue, and I think he would definitely be worth the "risk". As stated above, PU could put him on a crazy short lease, and he would not be able to skirt any kind of compliance issues like he (((allegedly))) was able to at Baylor. I also wouldn't worry about the 'recruiting the midwest/TX ties' issue bc recruiting is national for almost every program. I'd be happy if he were able to use his TX ties to bring kids north to play in his system. Selling his system is what will get the recruits, and it seems recruits want to play in his system. And I think he'd still be able to land plenty in this area just based on that.

Unfortunately, I don't think PU will give him a thought.

Briles was the most successful coach in the history of Baylor and had many powerful boosters on his side. You think they would fire someone like that just to have a scapegoat? Heck no, that man must have overseen some bad things to be fired from a situation that.

Many on this board are willing to rationalize with rational lies when it comes to situations like this. Penn STate fans are still doing this with JoePa. Lets not be like that.

I'm remembering the days when iu fans were reamed for wanting sampson and his issues were phone calls and skirting recruiting rules.

which briles do you believe ...
Briles 1.0 who for months adamantly said he did zero wrong,

Or briles 2.0, who after hiring a new agent with the new season starting, turned a 180 and apologized, admitted to making mistakes, and admitted it was his responsibility
?

The one thing worse than dh1 or dh2 is a coach that could get the program hit with sanctions/probation

Edit-
Also of note,
Even the browns are having to go out of Their way to defend bringing him in for brief offensive consultation, some even clamoring for the coach to be fired over it (and not the record!)

If bad publicity is still good publicity for a college program, then his hire would seem to cement the idea

Last edited:
I'm remembering the days when iu fans were reamed for wanting sampson and his issues were phone calls and skirting recruiting rules.

which briles do you believe ...
Briles 1.0 who for months adamantly said he did zero wrong,

Or briles 2.0, who after hiring a new agent with the new season starting, turned a 180 and apologized, admitted to making mistakes, and admitted it was his responsibility
?

The one thing worse than dh1 or dh2 is a coach that could get the program hit with sanctions/probation
Fair points although Briles figured it was better to apologize. Who knows.

Let me ask you this. If Briles gets Purdue winning and then is hit with sanctions (hypothetically)...would it be worth it? I would think so and Purdue can set up a compliance system if they are really worried. Have a contract with Briles to protect themselves.

Purdue is not going to get some high end desirable coach. The program is a major rebuilding job. Their facilities are basically behind the curve in the Big Ten. It's not a desirable situation. It's a great school that is basically now a slight step ahead of Rutgers. Bottom dwellers. Take Brees out of the equation when is the last time Purdue has been good? I am 51 years old...Jim Everett? Purdue is Vanderbilt. Purdue is Oregon State. Purdue is at the bottom.

My point is not to say Purdue doesn't have anything to offer a coach but nobody wants that job unless they are looking for a paycheck or have limited options. Briles has limited options. Beggers can't be choosers. Briles was out on his begging tour a few weeks ago. This guy would take ANY Power 5 conference job and probably work for peanuts.

Guy can coach. School just has to set up a system to protect themselves and deal with the backlash but he is a good hire. He has connections in Texas. Doesn't Purdue get some Texas guys? Briles loves to throw the ball and has a unique system. Ride this horse until he goes elsewhere (may not happen) but you know he will get Purdue at least back to respectability.

Just get the o.k. from the President and BOT and put up with the backlash and 5 years from now Purdue will be up and running.

RM

Fair points although Briles figured it was better to apologize. Who knows.
Exactly, not knowing is an issue.
If he was still adamant of no wrongdoing and that's what a hiring committee/authorities/etc researched and confirmed... great.
But he has since changed all of that.
Now potential employers have to consider his level of 'truthiness' in addition to the other more major issues.

Let me ask you this. If Briles gets Purdue winning and then is hit with sanctions (hypothetically)...would it be worth it?
Celebrate wins that are later vacated? Yay!

Just get the o.k. from the President and BOT and put up with the backlash and 5 years from now Purdue will be up and running.
But we likely wouldnt with sanctions & probation
OK I'm slow for missing all of the tic/dws

Last edited:
What makes you think you will get sanctions if your compliance dept is doing it's job.

Baylor has sanctions. In fact...Purdue should actually look into Tressel :) Coaches with past mistakes doesn't necessarily translate to future mistakes.

What is the old adage...desperate times calls for desperate measures.

RM

Even given what Petrino is doing at Louisville now I still wouldn't want him to be the coach at Purdue. That guy is just scum. I'm not prepared to say the same thing about Briles (or rule it out for that matter) based on what I know at this time.

Holy crap!

There are still people in this country that want to consider as many facts as possible, and aren't just satisfied with an article or two from a website before passing judgment?

Kudos

Reactions: TC4THREE
Holy crap!

There are still people in this country that want to consider as many facts as possible, and aren't just satisfied with an article or two from a website before passing judgment?

Kudos
Agree
and if/when another college wants to actually hire him, it will be interesting to see what additional details come out and which version of briles own story/sentiment is more accurate

Agree
and if/when another college wants to actually hire him, it will be interesting to see what additional details come out and which version of briles own story/sentiment is more accurate

Yeah, that whole situation sinks to high heaven.

From ESPN (who has their own track record of inciting the torch and pitchfork crowd), to Briles being the only coach to be fired although he probably had the least interaction with the players in question, to Starr saying Briles didn't get a fair shake.

There's definitely more to the story. Nowadays, moves are made to put out a fire, more so than to actually find fault, unfortunately.

He maybe guilty as sin, too, I'm just not willing to hang him until everything comes out, but it probably never will.

Judgment calls will have to be made.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I really think Briles would be a good hire for us. He was mostly a scapegoat for what was happening @ Baylor. I don't know how much he was actually complicit in there. Sounds like a lot of cover up from the top that he was forced to go with....or lose his job.

When he sued, Baylor quickly settled and for big $$$$....they didn't want any pre-trial fact finding going on.

I feel like Purdue would be the perfect environment to get him his 2nd shot. Good QB already on the roster. AD and administration overall that doesn't stand for the corruption that went on at his last stop. We hire him with a VERY restrictive contract with moral clauses up and down. I think that would fix that pretty quick.

Look, you can say that you can get over the scandal or its not important to you, but if you followed it you would NOT be saying he was a scapegoat. And he has been even shadier about things post-firing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT