ADVERTISEMENT

Found myself cheering against Painter

hamcoboiler

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 29, 2013
What a disaster he was in the final six minutes.

He got snarky in a presser and made the point that it’s not complicated you keep your best player on the floor. He outsmarted himself today.

No way you stay with that offense for defense disaster after it failed four straight times.

What a disaster he was in the final six minutes.

He got snarky in a presser and made the point that it’s not complicated you keep your best player on the floor. He outsmarted himself today.

No way you stay with that offense for defense disaster after it failed four straight times.

Understand your point. Alot of merit to what your saying... definitely!

But root against Purdue....NEVER

But got the W ..... celebrate!!

Last edited:
Not sure what Painter was trying to accomplish the last several minutes of the game. Also, he starts Jenkins the second half but he got very few minutes beyond the start. At this point, Jenkins needs more minutes than Loyer. When we were up 17 I thought we were ready to break out of our quasi funk the last several games but then the odd substitution patterns and missed FTs took over.

Ya for real. At some point loyer needs pine and alot. His legs are gone

Loyer late season reminds me of SS late in the year, offensively....just can't perform against stronger more athletic he is seeing of late. Legs seem gone like he has hit a frosh wall. At least his D is still there.

Hope he comes out of it and provides a spark in the tourney!

Not sure what Painter was trying to accomplish the last several minutes of the game. Also, he starts Jenkins the second half but he got very few minutes beyond the start. At this point, Jenkins needs more minutes than Loyer. When we were up 17 I thought we were ready to break out of our quasi funk the last several games but then the odd substitution patterns and missed FTs took over.

CMP over thinking it. Made an easy win close with his coaching moves. Of course those moves cause some of the problems.......but for sure, some of that also on players.

I'd say 5 missed free throws and 2 ridiculous turnovers had more to do with it than Painter.
Bull crap! The wrong players are on the floor. Loyer can’t hit broad side of a barn and NPOY on bench. That is the coach.
Loyer late season reminds me of SS late in the year, offensively....just can't perform against stronger more athletic he is seeing of late. Legs seem gone like he has hit a frosh wall. At least his D is still there.

Loyer D?

And why roll with a kid in Loyer who is zero threat to score at this point, and Newman who is a walking brain fart, especially last 5 mins...?

This one needed to be brought home by Jenkins, not that hard to understand.

Newman does get a little shaky at times late. Partly his fault.....BUT also fault staff, as he should have had more experience than they gave him during the year. Once they gave it to him he showed them why he should have gotten minutes all along, but the limited minutes during season makes him shaky in spots he hasn't seen multiple times due to situational inexperience.

Bull crap! The wrong players are on the floor. Loyer can’t hit broad side of a barn and NPOY on bench. That is the coach.

Loyer D....I meant compared to SS who was a disaster on D....since that was the comparison I made.

I think CMP is a great overall coach, and I doubt Purdue could do better, but he is absolutely frustrating at times with in-game decisions - especially in big games...

I can totally follow that....just appears to over-analyze it sometimes or too stubborn to a process. Sure, have the process.....and stick to it......but just sometimes have room for flexibility. He'd done that the last two weeks.....oh well.

The guy has forgotten more BB than I'd ever hope to understand/appreciate.....has the program headed in a great direction still. And he is a great supporter and ambassador for Purdue University.

I'd say 5 missed free throws and 2 ridiculous turnovers had more to do with it than Painter.
That was pretty obvious. I love what Brandon can bring, but he made a minimum of 3 really bad passes, but Purdue players bailed him out except his pass to PSU basket at the end. Actually, Purdue did some good things against the press, but never scored in the possessions. Matt didn’t want to give up the three ball thinking 2s don’t beat Purdue, but not hitting the FTs made it much closer than we liked. Had Shrews went with 5 shooters and Zach had to be out at the arc if he was on the court and the 3 ball was not covered .

If you see something that doesn’t work like you want…something else could be worse

Understand your point. Alot of merit to what your saying... definitely!

But root against Purdue....NEVER

But got the W ..... celebrate!!
It felt like the Rocky IV scene. I was pulling the for the underdog Shrewsberry because the favorite, Painter, wasn’t honoring the fight.

It’s that type of boneheaded coaching that will send them to an early exit in the big dance and somehow nobody on this staff can say you we have tried this 6 times now and PSU has scored every time.

What a sh!t post after another championship this year....Can't believe some of the regulars around here actually liked the OP's post as well. Why don't you go root for IU then? I am the first to give Painter sh!t when the team loses and doesn't bring home titles but they brought home TWO titles already this year and you say you are actively rooting against the coach? WTF?

Purdue won the game. Players didn't execute simple basketball plays down the stretch. The offense defense was designed to live with 2's and not give up 3's. Make FT's and don't throw the ball to the over team. Nothing to worry about.

So I have had multiple people explain Painter went with TKR to defend the 3…duh. If you want a big that can defend the 3 why not go with Furst? Who has a lot of experience defending the 3. I honestly can’t find any explanation of painter’s decision that makes sense. While I am making points…Jenkins was moved into the starting lineup at the start of the 2nd half but Loyer showed so much in the 2nd half that Jenkins didn’t play in the last 6 minutes? Probably our 2nd best guard against a press.

It felt like the Rocky IV scene. I was pulling the for the underdog Shrewsberry because the favorite, Painter, wasn’t honoring the fight.

It’s that type of boneheaded coaching that will send them to an early exit in the big dance and somehow nobody on this staff can say you we have tried this 6 times now and PSU has scored every time.

Why do something new you haven't done in the 30+ games prior?????

Especially, after getting a big lead doing what got you there.

And especially after it sure wasn't helping and likely hurting you.

So I have had multiple people explain Painter went with TKR to defend the 3…duh. If you want a big that can defend the 3 why not go with Furst? Who has a lot of experience defending the 3. I honestly can’t find any explanation of painter’s decision that makes sense. While I am making points…Jenkins was moved into the starting lineup at the start of the 2nd half but Loyer showed so much in the 2nd half that Jenkins didn’t play in the last 6 minutes? Probably our 2nd best guard against a press.
That is easy. Caleb would be a better defender, but typically not much O on his own. Trey is familiar with the sets at a 5 and is more of an O threat. If we can forget about O , I like Caleb for D . I don’t have insight on Fletcher/David at closing time

As for the press, it’s all about pass and catch, no other answers.
Sort of, they need to catch and dribble, going through and around defenders, taking open space and lanes given to cross half court. They just catch and stand there, waiting for the D to swallow them up and/or don't take the space they do have....its maddening.

Reactions: JerseyBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT